Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 17]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Beth, your short ribs and stir fry looked delicious -- and stuff was TOUCHING on the plate, too!!!

Your shrimp tacos looked really good, too.  Every time I see a grocery ad for shrimp here, I think of you.  If you ever want me to have some shipped to you, let me know and I'll start calling around.  Lots of seafood places ship seafood out but I never dreamed your area of Florida wouldn't have an abundance of reasonably priced fresh shrimp like we do...

Yeah, Michelle, even I was surprised that I let the stuff touch......Hahahahaha! (Oh, dear, is my OCD apparent to everyone???)

I've checked into shipping seafood (lobsters from Maine, shrimp from NO, etc.) and the shipping costs are way too much for my budget. HOWEVER, should you and Brian have cause to be DRIVING my way......well, just suggestin'.....

LOL

Seriously, thanks for the shipping offer but I'll just pick it up when I can find fresh at a reasonable price.....Whenever we go to St. Augustine now we are sure to have a small cooler in the car 'just-in-case'. I've found a couple good seafood shops.

bethk

bethk
Admin

1DomesticGoddess wrote:Tonight's dinner will be...

Brats cooked in sauerkraut

Mashed potatoes

Corn-on-the-cob

MY kind of meal.....did you use Johnsonville brats? They're produced in Wisconsin, aren't they???

There's something so comforting about sauerkraut and the juices mingling with mashed potatoes.....boy, my mouth is watering right now!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Last year my husband had knee surgery and he had to keep it dry. We had plastic wrap and garbage bags in our bathroom. What a production it was to wrap that knee.

Wrapping a moving joint like that would indeed be more of a pain than I go thru wrapping my upper arm. I sure wish I could go swimming, especially in this heat. There's a small pool at the rehab place I'm going to for physical therapy for my back (I'm trying to strengthen my back and abdomen muscles so I can stand up straight and not lean over any more than I already do). My physical therapist said he'd have put me in the pool immediately when I showed up if he could, as the pool exercises would be perfect for me. Oh, well. I've had two years to get used to never being allowed to swim anymore... As you can see, I'm still complaining about it (big stupid grin)!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote: They had a Breville for $250  and when I said I'd pass, the lady said she'd take 20% off, bringing it down to 199. I still passed but when I got home, I noticed on their web site they listed it for $129. and free shipping so I ordered it and that is the one I used with the Chuck roast yesterday.

How big is it, Norm? Quartwise, I mean. I don't have one and really never thought about it until recently. There's just the two of us but we rarely cook without making enough for leftovers down the line. If I get one, I'm not sure if I should get a small one or a bigger one. Definitely want one which allows using the insert on the stovetop for browning, though.

I have so much cooking "stuff" that I worry about having space for a slow cooker. I figure any space I still have should be "saved" for that huge KitchenAid mixer I hope to get one day...

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
I just had Brian pick up 3 cans of sour cherries at the grocery as I want to make a really good cherry pie.  I'm trying my hand at baking recently and like it.  Would like it a whole lot better if I had one of those huge KitchenAid mixers -- it's on my list and might make an appearance around holiday time this year if we have no huge unexpected expenses.  The crust I'm planning to make has Crisco and butter but no vinegar.  I bought some pastry blend flour and some clear jell from King Arthur recently when I placed an order for some potato starch that Brian couldn't find in the store, so I'm "pie ready."  I've also got some dried Montmorency cherries that I might try to work into the pie if I can.  I've had those for ages and they're really good -- I use them in scones, too.  

I've read about using vodka as the liquid in making flaky pie crust.  It makes sense to me, the science of it, but I've not tried it....and I really should because I love a good homemade pie crust.  I use to make EXCELLENT pie crust, but I've struggled ever since they took all the 'bad' stuff out of Crisco.

The idea of using vodka is that the alcohol evaporates quickly in the hot oven so it doesn't become compact....

And you know me ~ if it has vodka in it, it HAS to be good!  LOL

I tried a CI recipe with vodka. Now, I am not good with pie crust so I gave it a try. It came out flaky but I think the dough was a bit wet when I made it so It might have been better with more flour. I have made better crusts but only rarely.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NV wrote:Making a pot of seafood chowder today. Fisherman son gave me the carcass of a large pickeral. There's lots of meat there that he didn't remove by filleting. The head has lots of meat on it too.

Boy, I wish I lived nearby, as a nice bowl of seafood chowder sounds divine, Lore. Never had pickeral but haven't met too many fish I didn't enjoy. Are you having some nice crunchy bread with it, too? That's what I'm picturing...

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just had an awful thought: since my oven is broken I won't be able to roast a turkey this year. Bummer.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:They had a Breville for $250 and when I said I'd pass, the lady said she'd take 20% off, bringing it down to 199. I still passed but when I got home, I noticed on their web site they listed it for $129. and free shipping so I ordered it and that is the one I used with the Chuck roast yesterday.

Forgot to mention how ticked off I would've been if I'd accepted the lady's offer and then saw it for $129 and no shipping charge when I got home, Norm...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I just had an awful thought: since my oven is broken I won't be able to roast a turkey this year. Bummer.

Do you have a Weber grill or some type of gas grill, Debbie? A turkey comes out great on a Weber.

That was me last Christmas when we were having a standing rib roast. We had the Weber standing by all ready but my oven chose to work that day and so I was able to start and finish it in the oven. We didn't have any guests, though, as I didn't want any disappointment or rigmarole if midway through the cooking process, we had to switch everything to the Weber. I was glad we like it medium rare so it didn't take a huge amount of time to cook, as I cut the GIANT one Brian bought into two pieces (he called me from the store and told me they were huge so he was having the butcher cut him a smaller one -- when I saw it, I almost died, as it was about 15 inches long -- for TWO of us!). I promptly cut it in half and cooked the smaller of the two halves, freezing the other one for another day. I think that was the one I made when I got my new LG oven and was so excited to use that center oval burner to finish the sauce instead of juggling the pan over two gas burners like I normally do. We're still enjoying and giggling over our "new" oven -- we used the broiler the other night to make some garlic bread and it was sooo nice not to have to bend down to a broiler in the bottom like our old oven had. We seem like an advertisement for the oven's features, I swear!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a Baby Q. Not big enough for a whole turkey but I could roast the breast. I was thinking about one of those Nesco or other brand roasters. Has anyone ever used one?

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Yeah, Michelle, even I was surprised that I let the stuff touch......Hahahahaha! (Oh, dear, is my OCD apparent to everyone???)

You won't believe this, Beth, but I never even noticed you didn't have stuff touching in your pics until you pointed it out to me! You and Jimmy would hate eating here. If I serve your plate, things would definitely be touching. My mom used to say (right before she cleaned her plate, of course) that I served "truck driver portions." I did indeed. Not anymore, as neither Brian nor I eat as much as we did when we were younger. Plus we always eat less in warmer weather.

Beth wrote:I've checked into shipping seafood (lobsters from Maine, shrimp from NO, etc.) and the shipping costs are way too much for my budget. HOWEVER, should you and Brian have cause to be DRIVING my way......well, just suggestin'.....

I would indeed tote some beautiful shrimp your way, Beth, if we ever drove near your area. But I doubt that's going to happen, as we rarely travel anymore -- anywhere. We talk about a road trip in the car but we never get past the talking stage. I picked up a local woman's postcard ad with pics not so long ago for her guest house in SC -- and we talked about it again. It was cute as all get out, had the master on the first floor and a lovely balcony and hot tub on the second floor. Pics were pretty and the price was reasonable; even the driving distance wasn't that far and it would be easy to tote my medicine and the myriad supplies it takes to mix the medicine with us in the car. Again, that's as far as we got...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I have a Baby Q. Not big enough for a whole turkey but I could roast the breast. I was thinking about one of those Nesco or other brand roasters. Has anyone ever used one?

I think I remember Norm having one. Any friends or neighbors you could borrow a bigger one from?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup! And I think Norm has, too.

I did mine in a 'turkey bag'.....lazy clean-up and all. It was good and moist, just not beautiful brown skin. But I think Norm solved that problem with a glaze or Kitchen Bouquet brushed on the skin ~ don't remember for sure, so we'll have to ask him.

I also had a casserole of 'stuffing' in there and it cooked right along with the turkey ~ had it in a bread pan (9 X 4 ??) and had it wrapped in foil - had to maneuver the turkey in the bag around to fit the pan of stuffing but it worked great. Again, the top didn't get that crunchy 'crust' you get in the oven but it cooked just fine.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:Yeah, Michelle, even I was surprised that I let the stuff touch......Hahahahaha! (Oh, dear, is my OCD apparent to everyone???)

You won't believe this, Beth, but I never even noticed you didn't have stuff touching in your pics until you pointed it out to me!  You and Jimmy would hate eating here.  If I serve your plate, things would definitely be touching.  My mom used to say (right before she cleaned her plate, of course) that I served "truck driver portions."  I did indeed.  Not anymore, as neither Brian nor I eat as much as we did when we were younger.  Plus we always eat less in warmer weather.  

I've never been one to eat a lot at one time ~ how in the world I ever managed to get to be the size I am today is still a mystery!  A large serving on my plate is enough to make me lose my appetite.  And cooking holiday meals, that's the worst.  I love to do those meals for a dozen family members ~ Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter.  But by the time everything is cooked and on the table I am unable to eat even a small meal.  Maybe it's because I tasted while cooking (although I don't do that a great deal more than a test for seasoning, etc.) or the fact that I'm surrounded and overwhelmed by the fragrances of cooking foods in the kitchen all day.  I did get smart, though.  The last few big holiday gatherings I hosted I made up a plate of everything I loved and stored it away for the next day when I could reheat it and really enjoy it.

My late mother-in-law served me a gigantic plate of spaghetti for the first meal I was invited to at their house.  I was just a tiny 98 pound 18 year old, nervous at hell.  When I had eaten all that I could, which was probably 6 small bites, she looked at me and said, "We don't WASTE food at our house".  I was SO embarrassed, I thought I was going to vomit.  The only thing I could think of to say was, "If you wrap it up we'll take it home and Dane and I can reheat it for our supper another night".  Whoops! She did not find anything but 'sass' in that comment.

It was MUCH different in my home growing up.  We all served ourselves.  We were expected to take a little of everything unless it was on our personal "I-cannot-eat" list (mine was cheese, brother Bill hated lima beans, brother Tom couldn't get down beets, none of us kids could eat liver although Mom & Dad loved it).  But if we took it, we were expected to eat it.  We also did not 'waste' food.  But no one decided how much we should eat, like a 'forced feeding'.  I think that's why Dane wanted to marry me....he wanted to have my family.

Last edited by bethk on Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote: They had a Breville for $250  and when I said I'd pass, the lady said she'd take 20% off, bringing it down to 199. I still passed but when I got home, I noticed on their web site they listed it for $129. and free shipping so I ordered it and that is the one I used with the Chuck roast yesterday.

How big is it, Norm?  Quartwise, I mean.  I don't have one and really never thought about it until recently.  There's just the two of us but we rarely cook without making enough for leftovers down the line.  If I get one, I'm not sure if I should get a small one or a bigger one.  Definitely want one which allows using the insert on the stovetop for browning, though.  

I have so much cooking "stuff" that I worry about having space for a slow cooker.  I figure any space I still have should be "saved" for that huge KitchenAid mixer I hope to get one day...

It's 7 qts.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

Yes I have a Nesco cooker. I got it when I had an oven that didn't keep the temperature that the thermostat said it should be and it kept messing up loaves of bread. Nesco ovens were a lot more expensive back then than they are now but they were switching models and I got the old one on close out sale. Last Thanksgiving, I did a turkey in the Nesco and it came out good but I had to use a browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet) to get it to turn out with a nice color. The loaves of bread didn't have a brown crust either but they were really good. They are supposed to be really good for cakes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers for supper.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 IMG_20160809_183454434

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:...And cooking holiday meals, that's the worst. I love to do those meals for a dozen family members ~ Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter. But by the time everything is cooked and on the table I am unable to eat even a small meal. Maybe it's because I tasted while cooking (although I don't do that a great deal more than a test for seasoning, etc.) or the fact that I'm surrounded and overwhelmed by the fragrances of cooking foods in the kitchen all day. I did get smart, though. The last few big holiday gatherings I hosted I made up a plate of everything I loved and stored it away for the next day when I could reheat it and really enjoy it.

I am the exact same way when cooking a big holiday meal, Beth. It used to make my guests uncomfortable when I didn't even serve myself anything once the "spread" was put out -- I would explain that I wasn't really hungry once all was ready. (I agree with you about it being the fragrances of cooking that do one in.) Often I would serve myself a very small plate with a little bit on it so everyone wouldn't really notice I wasn't eating. Though we don't host half as many as we used to for a holiday meal these days, eventually just about everyone who came knew I was just going to sit with them and watch THEM eat and enjoy the meal.

But boy, you've practically got to hold me back the next day -- that's where my truck driver portions make another appearance and I enjoy everything immensely!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

How big is it, Norm?  Quartwise, I mean.  I don't have one and really never thought about it until recently.  There's just the two of us but we rarely cook without making enough for leftovers down the line.  If I get one, I'm not sure if I should get a small one or a bigger one.  Definitely want one which allows using the insert on the stovetop for browning, though.  

I have so much cooking "stuff" that I worry about having space for a slow cooker.  I figure any space I still have should be "saved" for that huge KitchenAid mixer I hope to get one day...

It's 7 qts.

Boy, I checked it out online, Norm, and that puppy is HUGE! You must have tons of space for storage, Norm, right? If I remember correctly, you have a basement. Those, of course, are unheard of in these parts... It sure is pretty, though!

NormM

NormM

We do have a basement and Charlie recently built some shelves down there but we did not have any storage at this end of the kitchen at all. It was designed to be a breakfast nook or informal dining.  Charlie built the storage in there with the help of Lowes lumber, myself and Cassie.  The light hung down from the ceiling to about the middle of my forehead. Charlie shortened that too.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 DSCN3696_zpsa0bzvdkx

The slow cooker is presently in the corner. It's too dark to see in the previous picture.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 DSCN3697_zpshwyinhts

This is all the storage we had in the kitchen when we first moved in and it was not nearly enough room for all my stuff.  Since we moved in, we have added a bigger refrigerator and new stove.  Just last week the faucet started leaking and we discovered it had rusted through and had to be replaced.  Charlie replaced that a few days ago.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 DSCN3698_zps4sw3btga

Last edited by NormM on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

NormM

NormM

Just FYI, here is the rest of the cooking stuff just outside the kitchen door.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 DSCN3699_zpsr6rl9wj7

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

bethk wrote:
1DomesticGoddess wrote:Tonight's dinner will be...

Brats cooked in sauerkraut

Mashed potatoes

Corn-on-the-cob

MY kind of meal.....did you use Johnsonville brats?  They're produced in Wisconsin, aren't they???

There's something so comforting about sauerkraut and the juices mingling with mashed potatoes.....boy, my mouth is watering right now!

Beth, I didn't use Johnsonville Brats. I think they were from Festival Foods, and they were Beer Brats.  

The sauerkraut on the other hand, was not store bought, my daughter had made it.

Tonight we're having...

Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomatoes Sandwiches

Corn-on-the-cob

Mikes' Hard Lemonade

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

NormM wrote:We do have a basement and Charlie recently built some shelves down there but we did not have any storage at this end of the kitchen at all. It was designed to be a breakfast nook or informal dining.  Charlie built the storage in there with the help of Lowes lumber, myself and Cassie.  The light hung down from the ceiling to about the middle of my forehead.  Charlie shortened that too.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 DSCN3696_zpsa0bzvdkx

The slow cooker is presently in the corner. It's too dark to see in the previous picture.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 DSCN3697_zpshwyinhts

This is all the storage we had in the kitchen when we first moved in and it was not nearly enough room for all my stuff.  Since we moved in, we have added a bigger refrigerator and new stove.  Just last week the faucet started leaking and we discovered it had rusted through and had to be replaced.  Charlie replaced that a few days ago.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 6 DSCN3698_zps4sw3btga

Norm, I love your kitchen!

NormM

NormM

Thank you.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Instead of Tuna salad, Tina suggested burgers on the grill, with tomato and mayo.
I had 1 and 1/2 of hers. Macaroni salad, and as I ate and chewed my burger, I sang the song "Rubber Ball" ( I'll come bouncing back to You!").....
Why??
Because the ground beef was like rubber erasers trying to chew it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GRuzaMwvrA

Packaged burgers from Walmart.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum