Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 17]

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I think that mixing those two flours together in those amounts would yield a flour with the same amount of protein as regular AP flour.  Don't know what advantage doing that would be unless you just happened to have both of those flours and be out of AP flour at the time.

That's what I kept thinking but wanted the advice of those of you who have delved into flour properties in the past. When I read the recipe (I think the reviews were for the 'world's best chocolate chip cookie') I thought.....huh???

Thanks for lettin' me think I'm not so far off base after all!

bethk

bethk
Admin

1DomesticGoddess wrote:We are having...

Cindi's Chicken Macaroni Salad

Creamy Cucumber Salad with Dill

Corn-on-the-cob

Chocolate Dilly Bars from Dairy Queen

Now that's just a 'teaser'.....you gotta go into a little detail to tell us how you make Cindi's Chicken Macaroni Salad.....then we will tell you all about how we make ours.....IF you've written up the recipe you copy it over and post it down further in the 'Salads section' so we don't have to search all over for the details when we decide to make it.

I know you're new....we just have to train you in right! LOL

I can figure out the creamy cucumber salad w/dill, the corn on the cob and believe me ~ I KNOW Dairy Queen! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhhh, Michelle ~ Braised Beef Short Ribs are such a succulent dish!  I remember the first time I made them.  I'm pretty sure it was a Jeff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet) recipe I wrote down as he made it on his PBS program.  The beef, the vegetables, the wine, the herbs.....it was amazing.  I also made a  braised flank steak sandwich recipe of his that was amazing ~ a huge amount of work but really good.  

Last time I made the braised beef ribs I think I served them over homemade noodles (you KNOW how easy they are to make.....you could talk Brian through it, just sit by the kitchen counter and tell him how good he's doing.

Also, Michelle.....what is radiator pasta? What do you use it for?

I made myself some Chicken Primavera Pasta with a light cream sauce - I used asparagus, blanched green beans, seeded yellow summer squash & onion for my veg and a cream cheese, parmesan, Italian Herb blend, cream & chicken stock for the sauce.  I intended to add tomatoes (for the color, don't you know) but even though they were sitting on the counter right next to the pan, I forgot to add them into the pasta.  So, 'Plan B' turned them into a 'salad' on the side....works for me!

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 8 IMG_20160812_165605941

Niagara Visitor

Making beef stew again today to take to DIL's parents.  I'll eat a bit of it, but I'm getting tired of it, they are not.  Anne can't eat pork, so that leaves a few things out that I like to make.  I made a mistake the other day, made some scallopped potatoes, and thought "Hey, there's some nice ham in the fridge, put that in and it will be a complete meal"............... Forgot about the pork.  My son told me to stick a picture of a cow and a chicken on the fridge so I don't forget again!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Also, Michelle.....what is radiator pasta? What do you use it for?

It's just a shape of pasta I'd never seen before so I bought some. I'm on my way out now so I'll try (stress try) to post a picture of it when I get home. I also found a recent picture of Brian and me that I might try to post as my avatar so you guys can finally see what we look like!

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is radiatore and you can see what it looks like on Google Images.

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a bag of some and it is spelled radiatore. https://www.amazon.com/Garofalo-Radiatore-Pasta-pcs-each/dp/B0076AU7IC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471100984&sr=8-1&keywords=radiatore+pasta
Funny how people spell things and pronounce things differently. One word that really gets me is aluminum. The Brits pronounce and spell it aluminium. Both are considered correct according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, Thanks, all of you !!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have a bag of some and it is spelled radiatore. https://www.amazon.com/Garofalo-Radiatore-Pasta-pcs-each/dp/B0076AU7IC/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471100984&sr=8-1&keywords=radiatore+pasta
Funny how people spell things and pronounce things differently. One word that really gets me is aluminum. The Brits pronounce and spell it aluminium. Both are considered correct according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Those radiator's are delicate and if the fins break off, I won't eat them! I won't eat broken macaroni / pasta / spaghetti! ....

And don't forget, when you go to bed, "Close the Light!" Idea
And when it gets dark, "Open the Light!" ( Turn the light off / on )

It costs a lot for "Lectric" today!

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. One of my neighbors stopped by and asked if I wanted to go to a Fried Chicken Fundraiser dinner with them ~ but I think I'm coming down with a summer cold. I've felt crappy all afternoon (after I got home from water exercise) and tried to take a nap but couldn't fall asleep. But I'm all stuffy and I've sneezed a dozen times....

So, they suggested bringing me a dinner 'to go' and that sounded like a plan. It's a fundraiser, after all, so even if I don't attend they raise some funds.

So, I had fried chicken (really very good), mashed potatoes (so-so) and green beans with onion & bacon (excellent ~ fresh green beans!). And, of course, I've got leftovers for tomorrow or later.

Now, if I could just force myself to take a nice hot shower to clear my sinuses and go to bed for a full night's sleep......well, that would be good for me.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had the Giant knockwurst with coleslaw Tina made.

Had it with hot mustard and bread on the side....

There are the Albino eggplant from the other night, and the piles of breaded and fried chicken cutlets.

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 8 CFf44a

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 8 WePYFs

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 8 8ccyJt

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 8 PhB1Qr

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ? - Page 8 Hos3SJ

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm with you....that big old knockwurst! I'd want some sauerkraut with it, though.....just sayin'

(but I don't know that I would turn down some nice, thin, crispy chicken cutlets ~ maybe just one)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm with you....that big old knockwurst!   I'd want some sauerkraut with it, though.....just sayin'

(but I don't know that I would turn down some nice, thin, crispy chicken cutlets ~ maybe just one)

There is sauerkraut from the German Butcher shoppe in the fridge, but Tina made coleslaw, and she was here when I was eating. To tell the truth, she made it like her mother and most people in the PA area where we grew up. Just Mayonaise, and a lot.
Makes me gag eating it the mayo is so thick. Tina even said it was too thick.

So, I was a good boy eating it in front of her, and she was proper to say it was too thick.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hey crybaby!..... how are you doing with the rains in LA. ??
I am watching the flooded streets on the news now! ....

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Hey crybaby!..... how are you doing with the rains in LA. ??
I am watching the flooded streets on the news now! ....

You're a doll to ask, Jimmy. We're very lucky here in N.O. Though different areas are getting different amounts of rain, the City of New Orleans has been blessed. There is some street flooding in certain areas that always tend to flood but we haven't gotten the tremendous amounts of rain that other places in LA have. Brian and I have a rain gauge in the backyard and we've gotten about 7 inches since Wednesday. And our neighborhood, known as Algiers Point, is across the Mississippi River from the French Quarter -- both of these areas are the highest in the city, which, of course, is why they were developed first hundreds of years ago. We never even get street flooding and in the 18 years we've lived here, water has never even come up as high as the curb!

Across Lake Pontchartrain and to the west of New Orleans is where the deluge has been amazing. Some have gotten over 20 inches in a day! There are also a lot of smaller rivers across the Lake which are now going to punish those poor people once again by overflowing. I saw one yesterday which has a 20-foot flood stage and it will crest today at 40 feet! It's a beautiful area and lots of people move over there to be near wooded areas but you pay the price as it's very flood prone. And, of course, they keep adding subdivision after subdivision (and the businesses that spring up to serve the populace) so the drainage problem only gets worse. Lots of people over there commute to jobs in N.O. (you can still get more house for your money though that is leveling out, and the public schools are legions better than here in the city), but Brian and I were never tempted, as it's a 35- to 45-minute commute if there's no traffic, no accidents on the Causeway (the 25 mile bridge over Lake Pontchartrain), no fog, etc. It adds a lot of time to ones workday and your chance of being in a car accident really increases when you're in the car so much each day, especially traveling at high speeds with other idiots who are reading the paper, putting on mascara or texting their friends!!!!

I swore I would never buy a slab house as whenever we had street flooding when we lived in Uptown New Orleans, only the cars in the old neighborhoods would flood -- all the houses were raised and had no trouble at all. And we not only bought a raised house, but we were lucky enough to buy a house in the 20% of the city that DIDN'T flood in Katrina -- Brian is STILL marveling over that fact!

Some of the poor people who flooded across the lake were still fixing up their houses from the last flood over there in March. Some hadn't even settled with their insurance companies yet. We're sooooo lucky and we know it!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:(but I don't know that I would turn down some nice, thin, crispy chicken cutlets ~ maybe just one)

And if you have some left the next day, they make the best sandwiches in the world! They're good plain but they're good with some nice melted cheese, lettuce (or sprouts) and tomato, too. Mmmm. That's why I like Brian to make plenty when he makes 'em so I can create some yummy sammies for the next day's lunch.

I like to use some Creole mustard one piece of the bread and mayo on the other and a big slice of either smoked or jarred roasted red bell pepper in lieu of a tomato when making a sandwich. I'm a big believer in there being a special "order" to the way ingredients are put on a sandwich; I also believe in seasoning several of the layers, too, just making sure that you don't over salt 'em! And there's nothing wrong with lathering a layer with some Coleman's mustard, too. There's nothing like a good sandwich!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Last time I made the braised beef ribs I think I served them over homemade noodles (you KNOW how easy they are to make.....you could talk Brian through it, just sit by the kitchen counter and tell him how good he's doing.

Forgot to tell you how I laughed at this -- easy for YOU, Beth!  But boy, that would've been good to have homemade noodles...

Here's the recipe as edited by me in case anyone wants it...

Braised Beef Short Ribs
Original from The Balthazar Cookbook by Keith McNally, Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson.
Makes 4 servings (edited by me to make less, to not drain out the solids and to cook on the stove instead of in the oven)

3-1/2 to 4 lbs. short ribs of beef
2 sprigs rosemary
2 sprigs thyme or one Tablespoon of dried thyme, crushed in fingers
1 bay leaf
2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or less)
1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (start with 1 Tablespoon, adding more if necessary)
3 medium carrots, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 shallots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/8 cup ruby port
2 cups full-bodied red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
3 cups veal stock (veal stock is really best but you can substitute good homemade
beef stock; I used lower salt chicken broth with about 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Au Jus concentrate added to it)

Bind each rib with cotton kitchen twine.  Season the short ribs with less than 1 teaspoon of the salt and a good bit of the pepper.
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over a high flame until it shimmers.  In two batches, brown the short ribs well on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.  Remove the ribs and set aside when done.
Lower the flame to medium, and add the carrots, onion, shallots, celery, and garlic to the pot, along with the rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf, and sauté for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and light brown.  Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the flour and stir well to combine.  Add the port and red wine.
Raise the flame to high and cook until the liquid is reduced by a third, about 20 minutes.
Return the ribs to the pot (two or three might stack into two layers).  Add the stock and the beef au jus; if the stock doesn’t cover the ribs by at least 1 inch, add water up to that level, but keep in mind that some will probably stick out of the liquid.
Bring to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook for 2 hours; stagger pot top on pot and simmer another 30 minutes to thicken sauce. Visit the pot occasionally and stir the ribs, bringing the ones on the bottom up to the top -- they’re done when the meat is fork tender and falling off the bone.  Transfer the ribs to a large platter.
Skim any fat from the surface of the sauce.  Over medium heat, bring the sauce to a strong simmer and reduce the liquid about 30 minutes.
Return the ribs to the pot, simmer for 10 minutes to reheat, and serve, removing strings prior to plating.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Great new avatar, Michelle!

Love the recipe for your short ribs, especially the phrase, "Visit the pot occasionally and stir the ribs..."

Nothing I love more than to 'visit' my food and sit for a spell.....

LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

Next weekend is our local lobster fest. We would love to go but at $120 a ticket it is only for the rich. I don't know what Joe wants for dinner. Tomorrow he has a blood test to check his sodium level so he might just have eggs.
I went to Whole Foods and bought a small container of blue cheese stuffed olives. They are so good but rich. I can't eat more than one.
I guess I will work on this weeks menu today and start a grocery list. Oh joy. My life is so exciting.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Don't let Joe have the cheese stuffed olives!

Man, that would take his sodium levels up to the roof.....

(but don't you just love to look at all the different varieties of olives there? )

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:   I'm a big believer in there being a special "order" to the way ingredients are put on a sandwich; I also believe in seasoning several of the layers, too, just making sure that you don't over salt 'em!  And there's nothing wrong with lathering a layer with some Coleman's mustard, too.  There's nothing like a good sandwich!

I thought I was the only one who was fussy about the way a sandwich is put together. i.e. I place the lettuce on bottom and on top. That prevents the bread from getting soggy. Especially with tomatoes.
A Ham , cheese, and salami, with tomato and onion and cheese, I first bread, next salami, 1/2 cheese, tomato mayo, then ham ,  1/2 cheese, onions and mayo on top that, and then the lettuce and top of bread / roll. Ha ha ha ....
Not only that, I even peel the tomato with a fillet sharp knife, so that when I bite, and pull away from the sandwich, it won't pull out the tomato because of the skins dragging.

Tina likes when I make the griddled cheese and tomato sandwiches. I peel the tomato first, before I slice it, and has to be cheese then thin sliced tomato, and cheese on top. Nothing worse, than getting chin burn from hot tomato slide outs! Laughing
Ummm, sounds like a great way to use up these extra tomatoes on the countertop, and at the same time, top / tip the bathroom scale. No

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

bethk wrote:
1DomesticGoddess wrote:We are having...

Cindi's Chicken Macaroni Salad

Creamy Cucumber Salad with Dill

Corn-on-the-cob

Chocolate Dilly Bars from Dairy Queen

Now that's just a 'teaser'.....you gotta go into a little detail to tell us how you make Cindi's Chicken Macaroni Salad.....then we will tell you all about how we make ours.....IF you've written up the recipe you copy it over and post it down further in the 'Salads section' so we don't have to search all over for the details when we decide to make it.  

I know you're new....we just have to train you in right!   LOL

I can figure out the creamy cucumber salad w/dill, the corn on the cob and believe me ~ I KNOW Dairy Queen!  LOL

Beth, I'll be sure post the recipe sometime today.

Tonight we are having...

Hamburger Spanish Rice With Bacon

Lettuce Salad with Romaine Lettuce, Grape Tomatoes, Yellow Pear Tomatoes, Croutons, and Salad Dressing of choice

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cindi - you cook MY kind of food! I haven't had Spanish Rice in soooo long!

It use to be a standard in my menu rotation, especially when I made enough to freeze to reheat. But it seems as if I've just changed what I make in the last couple years ~ of course, that probably has to do with Mr. Amazing and his never ending 'low carb, low fat, low flavor' diet way of eating. ((sigh))

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

bethk wrote:Cindi - you cook MY kind of food!  I haven't had Spanish Rice in soooo long!

It use to be a standard in my menu rotation, especially when I made enough to freeze to reheat.  But it seems as if I've just changed what I make in the last couple years ~ of course, that probably has to do with Mr. Amazing and his never ending 'low carb, low fat, low flavor' diet way of eating.  ((sigh))

Beth, I enjoy down-home country cooking, so that's how I cook. But... I also like some Italian and Asian cuisine as well. I don't think I could do a low carb, low, fat, low flavor diet. Did Mr. Amazing decide to eat this way for health reasons?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum