Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016 ... WHAT'S COOKING FOR DINNER ?

+5
NormM
Crybaby
bethk
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 17]

Niagara Visitor

Light supper for me tonight.  Salad of mixed greens, red pepper, Vidalia onion (my fav) half an avocado, tomato, feta cheese, topped by some yummy smoked salmon.  Just a little grapeseed oil, salt and pepper

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wendy's cooked supper today. The kids got here late, and finished up quick so they could go cruising around with the Corvette.

I had a burger delux, french fries, and Tina had a chili cheese baked potato.

T made Rice Krispy Treats for dessert / snacking.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Wendy's cooked supper today. The kids got here late, and finished up quick so they could go cruising around with the Corvette.

I had a burger delux, french fries, and Tina had a chili cheese baked potato.

T made Rice Krispy Treats
for dessert / snacking.

So that means Jimmy had Rice Krispy Treats for supper and snacked on a burger and fries......LOL

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy. The name of the recipe was Pork Chops Puttanesca.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Let me put it this way, if I were given one free, and had it installed in my house, I would refuse it, for the fact that, sooner or later, there will be surmountable problems and aggravation that go with it.
We like hot hot water; we have no little kids to burn their hands, and we like faucets and shower heads, that flow like Niagara Falls.LOL

Thanks, Jimmy, for the lesson on how those tankless water heaters work. I was so glad to finish reading and NOT read how they were better today, as I would've loved that little room for a pantry. Yep, we're spoiled by good water pressure, too. And recently, I turned up the temp on the water heater so the hot water got even hotter. It had been years since I turned it down a bit -- so long that I don't remember why I did it. I had to warn Brian, though, as it's hot as blazes now. (He's my only little kid...)

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but out here we have low flow shower heads and toilets that use less water. Every time we have to buy a shower head my husband has to remove the flow restrictor. If you keep it in, the shower feels like rain. We like a strong blast. As for toilets, we have to keep a plunger next to each one. Paper clogs easily and it can take two or three flushes to clear the bowl. Water saving? Right.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I love soups, as does my oldest son.  Hubby and younger son always said "What's the point of soup? An hour later you're hungry again!" Bean soup is my favourite.

Me, too, Lore! Any kind of soup, too. Soup and sandwich are really good, too, as it makes it much more of a meal to have a cup of soup. When we eat out, I always try to make room for soup AND an appetizer, another of my favorites.

Love bean soup but also love a good beef vegetable soup, too. The best soup I ever made was when I tried out a new recipe for beef stock from Cook's Illustrated (it used a LOT of beef besides soup bones) and then made beef vegetable soup with the stock. Took some to my mom's house, who had her sister visiting. She called me later to ask how I made it, as she said it was the best vegetable soup she'd ever had. I was so glad she enjoyed it and sooo glad I took the time to bring her some, too. I still miss her terribly...

I make a Smoked Red Bell Pepper Soup, too, that's pretty darn good. Brian smokes about 3 lbs. of red bell peppers on the smoker and those peppers are the base of the soup. It's to die for good and is the prettiest orange color, too. And Cream of Roasted Garlic Soup is another one I make that I love. You smell like garlic for a day or so but it's more than worth it, as it's THAT good!

I love chowders of any sort but Brian is not a potato fan so they're not something I've made regularly, though I just HAD to make Corn Chowder when we visited California, as I could get just picked corn! He didn't eat any but I enjoyed it with his sister and her husband, vegetarians who loved it.

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Let me put it this way, if I were given one free, and had it installed in my house, I would refuse it, for the fact that, sooner or later, there will be surmountable problems and aggravation that go with it.
We like hot hot water; we have no little kids to burn their hands, and we like faucets and shower heads, that flow like Niagara Falls.LOL

Thanks, Jimmy, for the lesson on how those tankless water heaters work.  I was so glad to finish reading and NOT read how they were better today, as I would've loved that little room for a pantry.  Yep, we're spoiled by good water pressure, too.  And recently, I turned up the temp on the water heater so the hot water got even hotter.  It had been years since I turned it down a bit -- so long that I don't remember why I did it.  I had to warn Brian, though, as it's hot as blazes now.  (He's my only little kid...)
I have no experience with tankless water heater here, but do in Germany.  They have used tankless heaters forever!  They do not have tanks, and the water pressure is just fine. It is normal to see a small heater handing on the wall in the bathroom, and temperature is not a problem either.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:My sister went to visit a friend in Big Fork Montana. While she was there, they picked some sour cherries from a tree and made the most delicious cherry pie. They made a pie crust that had butter, Crisco and vinegar in it. It was very light and flaky. I didn't know they had cherry trees up there. Huckleberries, yes. I am going to try and find a crust recipe like hers. No fresh sour cherries though. Never seen them around here.

I just had Brian pick up 3 cans of sour cherries at the grocery as I want to make a really good cherry pie. I'm trying my hand at baking recently and like it. Would like it a whole lot better if I had one of those huge KitchenAid mixers -- it's on my list and might make an appearance around holiday time this year if we have no huge unexpected expenses. The crust I'm planning to make has Crisco and butter but no vinegar. I bought some pastry blend flour and some clear jell from King Arthur recently when I placed an order for some potato starch that Brian couldn't find in the store, so I'm "pie ready." I've also got some dried Montmorency cherries that I might try to work into the pie if I can. I've had those for ages and they're really good -- I use them in scones, too.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your short ribs and stir fry looked delicious -- and stuff was TOUCHING on the plate, too!!!

Your shrimp tacos looked really good, too. Every time I see a grocery ad for shrimp here, I think of you. If you ever want me to have some shipped to you, let me know and I'll start calling around. Lots of seafood places ship seafood out but I never dreamed your area of Florida wouldn't have an abundance of reasonably priced fresh shrimp like we do...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but out here we have low flow shower heads and toilets that use less water. Every time we have to buy a shower head my husband has to remove the flow restrictor. If you keep it in, the shower feels like rain. We like a strong blast. As for toilets, we have to keep a plunger next to each one. Paper clogs easily and it can take two or three flushes to clear the bowl. Water saving? Right.

I think about that often, Debbie, when I flush the toilet quite often when using it.  We have the low flow toilets but opt to have the low flow shower heads.  The kind we have still gives you quite a forceful flow.  With my current situation, I have a shower stool (the insurance company paid for it, believe it or not, when I got PH) and I use a sprayer hose hooked up to the shower head because of the permanent I.V. in my left arm (no regular shower and definitely no tub for me anymore).  Any time I use that stool now that I have severe back problems, I'm very, very grateful for it.  They have lots of plastic "thingies" to use to cover my I.V. but Brian wraps it up in Handi Wrap and it really works the best to keep the bandage and hookup dry while showering.  I often wonder who else has plastic cling wrap stored in their bathroom closet...

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Tonight's dinner will be...

Brats cooked in sauerkraut

Mashed potatoes

Corn-on-the-cob

Bugster2

Bugster2

Last year my husband had knee surgery and he had to keep it dry. We had plastic wrap and garbage bags in our bathroom. What a production it was to wrap that knee.

Niagara Visitor

I've never had to wrap a knee, but have done each ankle twice, three of those times I had the full plaster cast, have had a fractured wrist, a fractured elbow.  Keeping things dry is a struggle!

Making a pot of seafood chowder today.  Fisherman son gave me the carcass of a large pickeral. There's lots of meat there that he didn't remove by filleting.  The head has lots of meat on it too.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Last week I made Tommy Bahamas crab bisque. It was so good and I don't even like fish. I don't know what we are eating this week. Joe has to go in for a blood test to check his salt level so it is no salt for a few days. That presents a problem. All I can think of is eggs and shredded wheat.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Last year my husband had knee surgery and he had to keep it dry. We had plastic wrap and garbage bags in our bathroom. What a production it was to wrap that knee.

When Tina had surgery, the wound was supposed to be kept dry.
The best thing I used, was first medical tape. then double side sticky tape over that, ans then press the plastic over the double side tape.
Found out that Duct Tape was hard to peel off her skin; so that was out. Also, cleaning the tape area with alcohol helped the tape stick. No

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here tonight. Lyn had a pre-op appt. in Orlando today and asked me to drive her down. Second knee replacement is scheduled for the 16th.....thank Gawd she only has TWO knees! This is the last time she has to go through this.

We went out to lunch after her appt. Then we strolled around a wonderful Whole Foods store ~ OMG, the OLIVE BAR was amazing! They must have had 50 - 75 varieties/flavors of olives.....big ones, green ones, black ones, oil cured, tiny French Nicose (sp?).....I wanted to sneak a couple but just knew if I did someone would see me and I'd be arrested and then my picture of 'a fat old woman stealing olives' would be on the nightly news ~ just not worth it. LOL

After Whole Foods we went to Trader Joes. I actually bought some stuff there. Whole Foods was a little pricey for me but the variety of stuff was so much fun to peruse.

Tomorrow I have to drive Lyn to her eye doc for an exam. They'll put drops in her eyes so she needs a driver. I feel like Morgan Freeman with Ms. Daisy!

On Wednesday our friend Barb will be home from a 3 month visit in Toledo and we're going to drive to International Plaza Mall in Tampa to 'window shop'. Lyn & I had a ball last time we went. Dane's sister is going to come and go with us ~ Four-Old-Broads-on-a-Road-Trip! Woo Hoo!!!

So, I don't know if I'll ever cook again.....stay tuned. Hahahahaha

NormM

NormM

I have a new slow cooker and wanted to do something with it so I made Beth's pot roast with the powder mixes of Ranch Dressing, Italian dressing and brown gravy. i added onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms and made a gravy with the liquid when it was done. We also had a tossed salad.  Beth, the insert for the Tupperware bowl came in the mail today and I had some lettuce in it and added the insert.  The lettuce had been in the keeper for at least a week and was still fresh with the paper towel in the bottom.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad your insert came....it really is easier than the paper towels. I always wondered if Mr. Tupper died a millionaire or a pauper.......his stuff still really works!

Gosh, I haven't had that Italian Pot Roast in such a long time. It use to be a standard in my menu rotation. I remember the first time I made it ~ I didn't have much hope that it would be any where near as good as it ended up. Did you use the Reynold's Crock Pot liner with your new slow cooker? I never use mine without one anymore.....I'm such a lazy butt about having to wash the crock insert.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:No cooking here tonight.  Lyn had a pre-op appt. in Orlando today and asked me to drive her down.  Second knee replacement is scheduled for the 16th.....thank Gawd she only has TWO knees!  This is the last time she has to go through this.

We went out to lunch after her appt.  Then we strolled around a wonderful Whole Foods store ~ OMG, the OLIVE BAR was amazing!  They must have had 50 - 75 varieties/flavors of olives.....big ones, green ones, black ones, oil cured, tiny French Nicose (sp?).....I wanted to sneak a couple but just knew if I did someone would see me and I'd be arrested and then my picture of 'a fat old woman stealing olives' would be on the nightly news ~ just not worth it.  LOL

After Whole Foods we went to Trader Joes.  I actually bought some stuff there.  Whole Foods was a little pricey for me but the variety of stuff was so much fun to peruse.

Tomorrow I have to drive Lyn to her eye doc for an exam.  They'll put drops in her eyes so she needs a driver.  I feel like Morgan Freeman with Ms. Daisy!

On Wednesday our friend Barb will be home from a 3 month visit in Toledo and we're going to drive to International Plaza Mall in Tampa to 'window shop'.  Lyn & I had a ball last time we went.  Dane's sister is going to come and go with us ~ Four-Old-Broads-on-a-Road-Trip!  Woo Hoo!!!

So, I don't know if I'll ever cook again.....stay tuned.  Hahahahaha

Wow.... Beth! Just reminds me of Tina. She's the Ambulatory Driver..
I told her I'm gonna get her a red cross magnetic sign that she can stick on the car door when she drives Elmer or Gabe or GD for their Dr appointments. Mad

NormM

NormM

I have never used a crock pot liner. My new crock pot has a non stick liner so clean up is easy. Not as easy as no clean up at all though. It is made so I can use the insert on the stove for browning before slow cooking so in cases like that, it's kind or useless to use a liner anyway..

NormM

NormM

BTW, a couple days ago, in The New York Times, they mentioned a popular internet recipe called Mississippi Roast. It had the powdered Ranch Dressing and Au Jus gravy package with a stick of butter and a handful of pepperoncini. Your Italian roast must have been a variation on the original... or yours is the original and the other is the variation. The NYT offered a from scratch recipe substitution. Who needs to do all that work when the original is so easy and good?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
I just had Brian pick up 3 cans of sour cherries at the grocery as I want to make a really good cherry pie.  I'm trying my hand at baking recently and like it.  Would like it a whole lot better if I had one of those huge KitchenAid mixers -- it's on my list and might make an appearance around holiday time this year if we have no huge unexpected expenses.  The crust I'm planning to make has Crisco and butter but no vinegar.  I bought some pastry blend flour and some clear jell from King Arthur recently when I placed an order for some potato starch that Brian couldn't find in the store, so I'm "pie ready."  I've also got some dried Montmorency cherries that I might try to work into the pie if I can.  I've had those for ages and they're really good -- I use them in scones, too.  

I've read about using vodka as the liquid in making flaky pie crust. It makes sense to me, the science of it, but I've not tried it....and I really should because I love a good homemade pie crust. I use to make EXCELLENT pie crust, but I've struggled ever since they took all the 'bad' stuff out of Crisco.

The idea of using vodka is that the alcohol evaporates quickly in the hot oven so it doesn't become compact....

And you know me ~ if it has vodka in it, it HAS to be good! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:BTW, a couple days ago, in The New York Times, they mentioned a popular internet recipe called Mississippi Roast.  It had the powdered Ranch Dressing and Au Jus gravy package with a stick of butter and a handful of pepperoncini.  Your Italian roast must have been a variation on the original... or yours is the original and the other is the variation.  The NYT offered a from scratch recipe substitution.  Who needs to do all that work when the original is so easy and good?

I remember when we first started making / talking about that recipe on the old CC forum.  One of the members said she made it but thought it was the worst thing she had ever tasted.....too salty, dry and crusty and nothing she would ever make again.

Keep in mind, we had discussed how those dry mixes (Ranch Dressing, Brown Gravy & Italian Salad Dressing) were all basicly SALT so that should not have come as any big surprise.  We talked about the importance of NOT lifting the CrockPot lid because it was important to have the condensation drip down on the dry mixes to create the coating on the chuck roast.

Turns out the member said she didn't like using a CrockPot so she had put the roast, uncovered, in the oven......she couldn't understand why anyone would like anything so dried out.

DUH.....The science of the recipe is to keep the moisture contained and it won't work if you try a dry heat method.

As much as I love a good, old fashioned oven roasted pot roast with carrots & potatoes & onions, that CrockPot recipe continues to be our #1 choice (especially if I have planned enough for leftovers for Italian Beef Sandwiches later in the week).

I did see a similar recipe on Pioneer Woman...Beef Drip Sandwiches.  She uses a chuck roast with a big jar of the yellow banana peppers with the pickling juice.  Personally, I think our recipe sounds better tasting and is much easier to make ~ but I may be just an old 'stick-in-the-mud' who refuses to accept any substitution for what I think is 'the best'.

I just read a recipe for the Mississippi Roast....VERY similar to 'ours'. The one I saw called for a stick of butter (????) That certainly seemed to be 'over-kill' to me as I usually try to pour off my roasted liquid into a 'de-fatter' container so I don't have so much in my finished product ~ sometimes I thicken it a bit, but most times not.

NormM

NormM

I also recently read and tried a recipe for fried chicken that used vodka because it helps the crust get crisp for the same reason it helps a pie crust stay flaky.

My old slow cooker had a cook top that could go from stove top to oven to slow cooker base to table but it wore out after a few decades. I got a cheap one from Walmart but the insert couldn't do anything but work in the crock pot base and it was small. In the recent cassolet recipe I did, it was from Thomas Keller and designed to use a 7 qt. All Clad. I used a Dutch oven and still had to cut the recipe some. I looked at the All Clad cooker at Williams Sonoma and they wanted $400. They had a Breville for $250 and when I said I'd pass, the lady said she'd take 20% off, bringing it down to 199. I still passed but when I got home, I noticed on their web site they listed it for $129. and free shipping so I ordered it and that is the one I used with the Chuck roast yesterday.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum