Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow!! April already Dinners.

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
NormM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 20]

201 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

German schnitzel, home fries and asparagus tonight.

202 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:46 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Today was Dr. Day for me. I did good. Lost only 3 pounds, but at least it was lost, and not gained.  B/P was for the first time in years.... 120 / 70. The cardiologist asked me what am I doing so good? No answer. I was dumb founded myself!! LOL...

Good for you, Jimmy!  Whatever you're doing, it's working.

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Time for a KK doughnut for dessert.

And a reward for your good work.

203 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:01 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Today was Dr. Day for me. I did good. Lost only 3 pounds, but at least it was lost, and not gained.  B/P was for the first time in years.... 120 / 70. The cardiologist asked me what am I doing so good? No answer. I was dumb founded myself!! LOL...

Good for you, Jimmy!  Whatever you're doing, it's working.

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Time for a KK doughnut for dessert.

And a reward for your good work.

Thanks Michelle... I do make sure I reward myself with treats.
I am like a puppy. I do good, and I get a reward! haahha... Smile

BTW... I so enjoyed the house cleaning stories so much, I gave up watching episode 51, of "The Honeymooners" and sat down to read the stories instead!

204 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well....My supper is 75% cooked already! Last night late, I cooked some cod fish in a oil butter and wine sauce; with fried peppers and onions. All I have to do, is cook the yellow saffron rice, then heat the fish, and chow down!

205 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought a small bag of little clams!!!

206 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I bought  a small bag of little clams!!!

Barb, did you ever try those little frozen clams?
I couldn't believe it, but Tina picked up like 4 packs of them. Like 20 ct. in a vacuum sealed pack. They were delicious and the best tasting clams I ever could imagine....for frozen, that is!

207 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Now...those thinking vibes of clams has got me thinking of making some tonight along with te cod fish I cooked already. If not, then maybe the muscles. I have to check the freezer downstairs.
I am pretty sure they are in there..? ? ?

208 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:21 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh crap I forget about it. I have to write it on my list thanks for the reminder

209 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Super easy supper.....just a warm up! LOL

Meatloaf, twice baked sweet potato and asparagus.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 IMG_20160415_170034477

210 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks good. Nice clean plate . Gosh I want meatloaf lol

211 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 12933162_957299081013195_5510786922725099979_n

212 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:BTW... I so enjoyed the house cleaning stories so much, I gave up watching episode 51, of "The Honeymooners" and sat down to read the stories instead!

You killed me with this, Retired Italian! All that was missing was that you went to get something to drink prior to settling down and reading.

And I know you, who doesn't like your food touching and who carries his own fork and spoon when eating out -- bet that toilet-rag-cleaning-the-kitchen-sink story really curled your hair! It sure curled mine -- Brian's too! Thank God they're gone and I've got Lynn -- our house looks amazing and better than it has in ages.

213 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:46 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:BTW... I so enjoyed the house cleaning stories so much, I gave up watching episode 51, of "The Honeymooners" and sat down to read the stories instead!

You killed me with this, Retired Italian!  All that was missing was that you went to get something to drink prior to settling down and reading.  

And I know you, who doesn't like your food touching and who carries his own fork and spoon when eating out -- bet that toilet-rag-cleaning-the-kitchen-sink story really curled your hair!  It sure curled mine -- Brian's too!  Thank God they're gone and I've got Lynn -- our house looks amazing and better than it has in ages.
The cleaning rag scenario was really a hair curler, for sure!! LOL

I am so fussy with the toilet. I have been tempted So Many times, to have and install My Own Toilet.... Private, and just for me.
When Tina's uncle was staying with us, he would dribble all over the toilet.
Then, sometimes, he would drop a LOG, and not flush! .....

That became a nightmare for me, and especially waking up in the middle of night to go, with one eye closed and the other half open....then eyeing that in the bowl.  affraid .... And he claimed it was not him; it was the cats.  Twisted Evil

A funny thing.... I was having a coffee one morning, and I said to Tina, "Honey, I cleaned the toilet really good!" "I even cleaned the grout on the tiles!

I said, " that little rotary brush I found in the closet works really great getting in the cracks and crevices!" "I used scrub and Bubbles foam cleaner, and used the rotary brush to scrub with!"  affraid  affraid

She screamed..." You didn't?" ..."The Pink One??"""Thats MY COMPLEXION BRUSH"" ...."I use that on my face!!!" ..... "Please Tell me you didn't!" ..... hahahahahahaha
I just wanted to make sure she was fully awake.

214 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:50 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, that would be like walking into a public restroom and finding that someone had not flushed. So gross.
My DH is very meticulous when going about his business. I won't go into it here other than to say that he uses Sortkwik to grab the toilet paper.

215 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote: Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 12933162_957299081013195_5510786922725099979_n

Did you just steam the clams with a bit of white wine? Anything special for a sauce besides the addition of the lemon? Looks like what I'd order in a restaurant ~ only better!

216 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy wrote:She screamed..." You didn't?" ..."The Pink One??"""Thats MY COMPLEXION BRUSH"" ...."I use that on my face!!!" ..... "Please Tell me you didn't!" ..... hahahahahahaha
I just wanted to make sure she was fully awake.

I just read your story to Brian and he howled -- mainly 'cause I have that same type of brush in white! Good one, Jimmy. That's the kind of thing Brian and I do to one another. I once had him almost convinced that those of us in the South were taught in school that the South had won the civil war and that I thought we had until I got to college. He denies believing it to this day but I remember him saying, "OMG, and you were in the honors' class!" My tale ended when I could no longer keep a straight face...

217 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was 'simple' salad supper. But I putzed around with the ingredients all day, it seems. I found a package of farro at the grocery store and thought it might be interesting as a good source of protien in a salad. It gets cooked similar to rice ~ 1/2 c. farro to 1 c. water (I used 1/2 chicken stock and 1/2 water) and it simmers for about 20-25 minutes until tender. I hard cooked the eggs and put them in to cool. I poached a chicken breast and let it cool in the broth so it was super tender. I lightly steamed a handful of green beans and then rolled them up in a paper towel to absorb the excess moisture. Then, for the rest of the salad ingredients I used a head of romaine, half a carrot, a chunk of cucumber and a couple small stalks of celery.

'HIS' got topped with feta and olives and dressed with his favorite Ken's Greek Dressing. Mine got topped with some crunchies (LaChoy Rice Noodles) and dressed with my favorite Green Goddess. It was definately a filling salad. The farro wasn't really all that noticeable in the salad (I tossed it with the lettuce & vegetables so it was evenly distributed), but if I had to describe it, I'd say it was like a brown rice, only with more 'tooth' and a nice, nutty flavor. I'll definately be finding more ways to use it in meals. Even Mr. Amazing said it tasted good and he's feeling 'full', which, for a salad supper is a very good thing.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 IMG_20160416_165958545

218 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I cooked the noodles first. Saute OO and butter and garlic.. glug  of wine and soup spoon full of noodle water. add the washed real good clams.noodles ..lid on for a while.maybe 15 //20.. Parsley for decor lol...

219 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So, let me get this right......you do the noodles about 3/4 way done and season the way you like (I could add my red pepper flakes or whatever) and then you add the clams, a bit more liquid and cover to steam the clams open and finish the noodles?

That's genius! So much easier than the way I've done it in the past.

Thanks.

220 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks great Beth.. Yeah  I have to sit when I do salads like that. lots of prep. I buy from salad bar a HT salad bar for some stuff.

I am not hungry yet. so leftover noodles with a piece of Alaska wild caught halibut over it..In a while..

221 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had Skillet Roasted Chicken in Lemon Sauce, a recipe concocted by Cook's Illustrated to copy the famous Lemon Chicken from Rao's restaurant in NY.  I saw Ina Garten on TV a while back and the owner of Rao' was showing her how they made it.  CI said it was pretty much impossible to duplicate because of the salamander (restaurant broiler) available to professional chefs.

I made Ina's take on the recipe (I've been craving lemon flavor lately) a while back and it was very good, but the CI recipe I tried last night was much much better and I think more representative of the Lemon Chicken at Rao's.  Ina asked the owner how long it would take to get a reservation for dinner at Rao's and he told her about 10 years!  It's more like a private club with the same clientele including celebrities that come all the time -- no room for anyone new and I guess when there is, some regulars' friends or relatives get the nod.  

At any rate, the chicken was delicious; the browning of the chicken and beginnings of the sauce were started on the stove and then the chicken finished cooking in the oven in the same pan as the sauce, with very crispy brown skin on the chicken, which crust sits above the sauce so it stays crispy.  Then you finish the sauce on the stovetop after removing the chicken to a serving platter.  We had it with Basmati rice and fresh asparagus and it was indeed delicious.  Leftovers tonight which we've both been looking forward to all day. I have to give Brian credit as he took the printed out recipe, brined the chicken pieces and put together my entire mise en place for me. All I had to do was follow the instructions as everything was done and measured for me...

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

222 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

well I cook the noodled first.. drain, set aside..saved some of the water..  in my LC skillet OO,butter garlic till softened.. white wine,noodle water..then add the noodles then the super duper clean clams..lid on..done..

223 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your salads look fantastic. I have to tell you that the ones you make for Dane always look better to me. Of course, I adore cheese...

224 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Crybaby, I know most everyone ((except me)) adores cheese.

I started taking pics of 'HIS' salads so Barb could see that I'm not a 'selfish' brat ~ I do sometimes take his tastes into consideration.....LOL.  I always tease her about 'ruining' a dish with great chunks of feta or some other kind of stinky cheese.  But, amazingly, my frittatas and such are just as tasty to us as hers are, I'm sure.  

We've never been the kind to be critical of each member's personal tastes.  I find it interesting that I can read a recipe and see the word "cilantro" listed and in MY mind, it is immediately transposed to "parsley".  

To each their own!

I've wanted to make the Rao's Lemon Chicken forever.....but every time I mention it Dane tells me he does not like the overpowering lemon flavor. It just seems to be a lot of trouble to go to just for myself if I have to make something else for him. Maybe when he goes to Ohio in July ...... yeah, maybe then.

225 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:48 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Hey I don't use stinky cheese lol..  Boy my Mom did  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 9 2363720550

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum