Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow!! April already Dinners.

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
NormM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 20]

126 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I forgot to say that I prefer an opener that cuts from the side. I have an old Krups electric opener that I love but I am saving that for when my hands hurt too much to use a manual opener.

I made pasta primavera tonight and used a new brand of pasta I ran across. It is Delverde, made in Italy and it is called tagliatelle. Oh it was really good. It also cost a dollar more than Barilla. I am going to hunt for better price but it was worth it.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 N1wA9xoinPKlHDZAQiAD+j6uIyM+76UdhdYzKG4Tx33MS9aGqgPYj9mzIkiUyBomA52CFTHArIuf22hzOGCf8mcFLv3e3apsUFSR9A4TvJruuAAAAAAA=  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 2876911673  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 2876911673

127 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

I bought an opener at a Pampered Chef party. It works great, does not leave sharp edges, but is difficult to turn. My hands are still strong enough, but I can see that it may become difficult as I get older.......... Or maybe I will get stronger?????? HA Ha. Laughing

128 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I bought an opener at a Pampered Chef party. It works great, does not leave sharp edges, but is difficult to turn.  My hands are still strong enough, but I can see that it may become difficult as I get older.......... Or maybe I will get stronger?????? HA Ha. Laughing

There ya go Lore. You gotta have that +Positive+ outlook. Idea

129 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

That's why I buy OXO . They are made for folks with strength issues . I like everything I have bought from them .

130 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:43 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I have an OXO can opener. This is the one product from them that I am not impressed with. It still bothers my wrists...

131 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to go to Sam's Club to get printer cartridges for my computer. BIG mistake (for me).

OF COURSE, I had to peruse the meat counter......the rib eye's looked fantastic. But WAY out of my price range.....$9.90/lb.

But, what the heck, Mr. Amazing is rich (isn't he????).

I bought a 3-pak for just under $30. Oh, well, we can have oatmeal for the rest of the week.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 IMG_20160410_173001922_HDR

132 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:16 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:I had to go to Sam's Club to get printer cartridges for my computer.  BIG mistake (for me).

OF COURSE, I had to peruse the meat counter......the rib eye's looked fantastic.  But WAY out of my price range.....$9.90/lb.

But, what the heck, Mr. Amazing is rich (isn't he????).

I bought a 3-pak for just under $30.  Oh, well, we can have oatmeal for the rest of the week.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 IMG_20160410_173001922_HDR

Looks delish!!

BTW, I usually get rib-eyes at the butcher for the exact same price...
It is only me, so I just get one---not so bad.
I also like to have one in the freezer, so that I can have it when the butcher is closed or when the weather is bad and I do not feel like going out....

Today I had leftover pork chop cut up in some baked beans... an easy, peasy Sunday Supper...

Beth, I trust you are feeling better? and the creeping crud has left!!???

133 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 12963486_10154115447492220_283314169622704294_n

thick boneless pork chops on the grill...so nice and cool...  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 3267860543  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 512660330

134 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks great Beth but gosh I dont pay that  price..

135 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 12932928_956606874415749_9213513674025885204_n

No matter how I cooked collards.. Evil or Very Mad No  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 1297124391  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 411572088

136 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wait till Choice goes on sale for $5.99/lb.

137 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Collards are too bitter for my taste. Same with broccoli rabe.

138 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:11 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:Collards are too bitter for my taste. Same with broccoli rabe.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 3602300868  and kale..

139 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:27 pm

NormM

NormM

I cut the stems out of collards and cook them in water to cover with smoked ham hocks, 1 cup sugar, Salt,1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, then simmered for an hour and a half, then add tabasco after it's done. I dislike bitter anything and don't think collards are bitter the way I cook them. I think most of the bitterness is in the stems.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

140 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:39 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Lol I only put in a little sugar . Fried onions and bacon grease and put in some ham . Either I don't buy any more or find a new recipe !!!!

141 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sounds delicious Norm. Maybe someday I will give them a try again.

142 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bitter greens and greens in general are on my 'favorites' list. I've learned from some different people I've met and settled on my favorite ways to cook them.

I always, like Norm, cut the entire stem out of the leaf ~ all the way to the top. I fold the leaves in half and slice along the stem, cutting so I end up with two halves of the leaf. I read someplace that the sulphur (bitterness) is produced in the stem so it makes sense to me to get rid of it at the source. If I'm cooking collards or broccoli rabe, which are IMO more bitter than most, I will sometimes par cook them in salted water and then into a sink full of cold water to stop the cooking and rinse really well. Then they get drained and I'll continue cooking with the rest of the ingredients. That first cooking in the salted water helps get rid of that sulphur.

Then, for most, I'll start with some bacon to render down, remove & reserve the browned pieces but leave all the fat to flavor the greens. I'll add onion, red pepper flakes and the greens, very little salt because it seems they retain a lot of the salty flavor and it's really easy to overdo it. Then I cook in homemade ham stock if I have it or boxed chicken stock. Now, here is the #1 'secret'.....BROWN sugar. An old wrinkled Southern woman whispered it to me many years ago....."I add a handful of brown sugar to my greens and no one can figure out why MINE are the best", she said. She only told me because she thought I was a northerner and would NEVER continue making greens so her secret would be safe with me. (Since I like the bitterness, I only add about 1 Tbsp. of brown sugar ~ that and the fact that I'm cooking about 1/3 of what a 'normal' Southerner cooks in the collard pot.) There is some way that the molasses in brown sugar counteracts the sulphur of the greens.....I think it's some sort of science ~ could be something I heard 'my man' Jacques mention once or twice. You can also add a tsp. or so of regular molasses during the cooking if you think your greens taste too bitter.

But, it works. For me, anyway. I will let the greens cook down, test them, maybe add more stock a bit at a time, and finally, the reserved bacon goes back in and given enough time to soften back up.

One of my favorite ways to use leftover greens is to add them to a can of cannolinni beans and let the greens be a 'flavoring agent' instead of just eating them plain.

And, of course, my #1 way to eat greens is for breakfast....you've all seen it many times:

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 092313brkfst

143 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Bitter greens and greens in general are on my 'favorites' list.  I've learned from some different people I've met and settled on my favorite ways to cook them.

I always, like Norm, cut the entire stem out of the leaf ~ all the way to the top.  I fold the leaves in half and slice along the stem, cutting so I end up with two halves of the leaf.  I read someplace that the sulphur (bitterness) is produced in the stem so it makes sense to me to get rid of it at the source.  If I'm cooking collards or broccoli rabe, which are IMO more bitter than most, I will sometimes par cook them in salted water and then into a sink full of cold water to stop the cooking and rinse really well. Then they get drained and I'll continue cooking with the rest of the ingredients. That first cooking in the salted water helps get rid of that sulphur.

Then, for most, I'll start with some bacon to render down, remove & reserve the browned pieces but leave all the fat to flavor the greens.  I'll add onion, red pepper flakes and the greens, very little salt because it seems they retain a lot of the salty flavor and it's really easy to overdo it.  Then I cook in homemade ham stock if I have it or boxed chicken stock.  Now, here is the #1 'secret'.....BROWN sugar.  An old wrinkled Southern woman whispered it to me many years ago....."I add a handful of brown sugar to my greens and no one can figure out why MINE are the best", she said. She only told me because she thought I was a northerner and would NEVER continue making greens so her secret would be safe with me.  (Since I like the bitterness, I only add about 1 Tbsp. of brown sugar ~ that and the fact that I'm cooking about 1/3 of what a 'normal' Southerner cooks in the collard pot.) There is some way that the molasses in brown sugar counteracts the sulphur of the greens.....I think it's some sort of science ~ could be something I heard 'my man' Jacques mention once or twice.  You can also add a tsp. or so of regular molasses during the cooking if you think your greens taste too bitter.

But, it works.  For me, anyway.  I will let the greens cook down, test them, maybe add more stock a bit at a time, and finally, the reserved bacon goes back in and given enough time to soften back up.

One of my favorite ways to use leftover greens is to add them to a can of cannolinni beans and let the greens be a 'flavoring agent' instead of just eating them plain.

And, of course, my #1 way to eat greens is for breakfast....you've all seen it many times:

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 092313brkfst

What a nice plating Beth.
The eggs are perfectly cooked. Nice "Dippy" toast pieces too!! LOL

144 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

How the heck did you manage to peel those eggs? Every time I try to peel soft-boiled eggs the shell sticks to the white tearing it up. Plus, they are hot to hold.

145 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The peeling of a soft boiled egg is an art. I start, and if it sticks...pow! right in the garbage can it goes.

Tonight will be good ole Beth Burgers. A slice of raw onion, and ketchup. Bushes baked beans on the side, and Tina will have mashed taters if I know her. Its warm out today 59º but still cold nights.
I had to grab 3 bags of wood pellets to keep the night chill out. It still drops to 30's which is good.

146 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:38 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 12932947_956606307749139_3372938165985707474_n

fried cabbages and sausage.

147 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote: Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 12932947_956606307749139_3372938165985707474_n

fried cabbages and sausage.

Wow! ... I just ate dinner, and looking at that sausages and cabbage is making me hungry again.

148 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:48 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol Jimmy I went to Aldis and they a huge selection of German foods. I just picked up so much stuff lol I have no idea about this sausage but they looked good.. cheers

Plus I have never liked seed mustards but this ones seems to be not hot.

149 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:21 pm

NormM

NormM

Well this was a real chore. I made a garlic sausage recipe that I wanted to try and it took almost all day. In fact they are still an hour away to being done and it is 6pm right now. I used a KitchenAid meat grinder and stuffing tube and they are almost like toys compared to a dedicated sausage machine. I will definitely invest in the proper equipment if i ever think about trying this again.

I saved the beef trimmings from the last 3 briskets I smoked and was going to add them to the pork trimmings from the ribs i did the other day but when I went to the freezer to get them, they were gone and the freezer is half full with tamale stuff. I got a pork shoulder to round out the meat. The sausage tube was too small for the bigger diameter sausage so it was really hard and time consuming to stuff those casings. Oh well, when I fried up a small batch to taste for seasoning, it tasted really good. Hope the smoking will make them even better. I decided to smoke them instead of just plain cooking like the regular recipe. The recipe is from Anne Burrell.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 DSCN3426_zpsvcyybh4g

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

150 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Well this was a real chore.  I made a garlic sausage recipe that I wanted to try and it took almost all day. In fact they are still an hour away to being done and it is 6pm right now.  I used a KitchenAid meat grinder and stuffing tube and they are almost like toys compared to a dedicated sausage machine. I will definitely invest in the proper equipment if i ever think about trying this again.

I saved the beef trimmings from the last 3 briskets I smoked and was going to add them to the pork trimmings from the ribs i did the other day but when I went to the freezer to get them, they were gone and the freezer is half full with tamale stuff. I got a pork shoulder to round out the meat. The sausage tube was too small for the bigger diameter sausage so it was really hard and time consuming to stuff those casings.  Oh well, when I fried up a small batch to taste for seasoning, it tasted really good. Hope the smoking will make them even better. I decided to smoke them instead of just plain cooking like the regular recipe.  The recipe is from Anne Burrell.

And Norm, I find the KA meat grinder a toy also.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 6 DSCN3426_zpsvcyybh4g

Wow! And each one tied with butchers twine.

I have an Oster meat grinder that my cousin Donna gave me that she used once. She said,"UhUh! not for me; too much trouble to use and clean. She put it in her cellar, and she gave it to me. She got it 42 years ago for a wedding gift.
It has 4 different size sausage tubes, and 3 cutting plates from chop coarse, to fine.  I looked on line to see if Oster made one today, and Nope! Cannot find it.

And yes Norm, the K A meat grinder is a toy for me also. I never use it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum