Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow!! April already Dinners.

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
NormM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 20]

226 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Love love lemon food. and desserts ..As many as I buy I should have a lemon tree..

227 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I am completely bummed. My little Meyer lemon tree was covered with blossoms. The fragrance was overwhelming as I opened my front door. Then, we got a hard rain (when the flowers were in full bloom) and now I have no blooms and NO fruit, either.

I don't think I'm going to have any lemons this year.

((sad)) Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

228 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:07 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner was a last minute decision. It was deviled chicken thighs with a store bought potato and cheese concoction that wasn't very good and for dessert we had strawberries with angel food cake and vanilla ice cream.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 DSCN3435_zpstcxiypft

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

229 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:13 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 12963912_1016114648473732_5692249695801589602_n

230 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Dinner was a last minute decision. It was deviled chicken thighs with a store bought potato and cheese concoction that wasn't very good and for dessert we had strawberries with angel food cake and vanilla ice cream.

I'd like dessert, please!

231 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:45 pm

NormM

NormM

I'll save some for you.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

232 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:

I've wanted to make the Rao's Lemon Chicken forever.....but every time I mention it Dane tells me he does not like the overpowering lemon flavor.  It just seems to be a lot of trouble to go to just for myself if I have to make something else for him.  Maybe when he goes to Ohio in July ......  yeah, maybe then.

Beth... what about using Limes? I remember you had posted once to use lime for Mr. Amazing ( at that time you called him that )!

233 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:06 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't know, Jimmy ~ ever since he retired, he now has an 'opinion' on the dishes I prepare. He never use to care one way or the other, seemed to like everything I fixed. Now he's concerned about the calorie count, the taste and how something is prepared. Geesh! Next thing you know he'll want to rearrange my kitchen cabinets for me to make them more efficient! ((NO ~ We've already been there and he's been told to keep his hands off my kitchen pantry!))

234 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:27 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Yeah, Crybaby, I know most everyone ((except me)) adores cheese.

I started taking pics of 'HIS' salads so Barb could see that I'm not a 'selfish' brat ~ I do sometimes take his tastes into consideration.....LOL.  I always tease her about 'ruining' a dish with great chunks of feta or some other kind of stinky cheese.  But, amazingly, my frittatas and such are just as tasty to us as hers are, I'm sure.  

We've never been the kind to be critical of each member's personal tastes.  I find it interesting that I can read a recipe and see the word "cilantro" listed and in MY mind, it is immediately transposed to "parsley".  

To each their own!

I've wanted to make the Rao's Lemon Chicken forever.....but every time I mention it Dane tells me he does not like the overpowering lemon flavor.  It just seems to be a lot of trouble to go to just for myself if I have to make something else for him.  Maybe when he goes to Ohio in July ......  yeah, maybe then.

The last thing anyone could ever call you is selfish, Beth, especially the way you go out of your way to make food that Dane wants at any particular time!  

Both Brian and I like cilantro but years ago, not many people did.  It's a lot more popular today than it used to be.  I didn't think Brian would like it so I started using it by using parsley mixed with dried cilantro.  The flavor of the dried stuff is not half as pronounced as the fresh is.  After a while, I told him I thought he'd really like the flavor of fresh cilantro and he told me to go for it.  I'm smiling now, as it sounds like it's kind of like hiding vegetables in a kid's meal!  

Brian's come a long way as far as his likes and dislikes of food are concerned, and he'd be the first one to admit it.  Even he is amazed at what he will eat today compared to when we first met.  I tease him all the time about the first time he took me out to eat and he ordered his steak well done.  I told him if he would've asked for a bottle of ketchup, there would have been no second date.  He still laughs, as he eats his meat medium to even medium rare today, the latter especially when steak is leftover.  He got used to meat tasting better when it's not so dry.  Plus I found out it's blood in his plate that he really doesn't like.  

Now if only I could get him to like crabmeat or shrimp (big sigh -- it's not going to happen!).  But then I got used to some things, too, including cooking some for myself if I want it.  Or having others over to dinner to share in seafood I'm making, or even taking some to someone else who will appreciate a nice meal of some type of seafood.  And if it's something that has leftovers that can be frozen, even better!

Here's something for you for next July, Beth.

Rao’s Skillet Roasted Chicken in Lemon Sauce
Serves 4. Recipe from Cook’s Illustrated, May/June 2016.  
To ensure crisp skin, dry the chicken well after brining and pour the sauce around, not on, the chicken right before serving.

1/2 cup salt
3 lbs. bone-in chicken pieces (2 split chicken breasts cut in half crosswise, 2 drumsticks and 2 thighs), trimmed
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest plus 1/4 cup juice (from 2 lemons)
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves

1. Dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold water in large container.  Submerge chicken in brine, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.  Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 475°F. Heat oil in oven-safe 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.  Place chicken skin side down in skillet and cook until skin is well browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.  Transfer breasts to large plate.  Flip thighs and legs and continue to cook until browned on second side, 3 to 5 minutes longer.  Transfer thighs and legs to plate with breasts.
3. Pour off and discard fat in skillet.  Return skillet to medium heat; add butter, shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.  Sprinkle flour evenly over shallot-garlic mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is lightly browned, about 1 minute.  Slowly stir in broth and lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to simmer.  Cook until sauce is slightly reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.  Stir in 1 Tablespoon zest and remove skillet from heat.  Return chicken, skin side up (skin should be above surface of liquid), and any accumulated juices to skillet and transfer to oven.  Cook, uncovered, until breasts register 160° and thighs and legs register 175°, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. While chicken cooks, chop parsley, oregano, and remaining 1 teaspoon zest together until finely minced and well combined.  Remove skillet from oven and let chicken stand for 5 minutes.
5. Transfer chicken to serving platter.  Whisk sauce, incorporating any brown bits from sides of pan, until smooth and homogenous, about 30 seconds.  Whisk half of herb-zest mixture into sauce and sprinkle remaining half over chicken.  Pour some sauce around chicken.  Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

235 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:33 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I am completely bummed.  My little Meyer lemon tree was covered with blossoms.  The fragrance was overwhelming as I opened my front door.  Then, we got a hard rain (when the flowers were in full bloom) and now I have no blooms and NO fruit, either.

Aw, that's too bad, Beth. I am currently awaiting delivery of a Meyer lemon tree that I ordered online. Bought a large pot for it already so I can keep it on the back deck and also a rolling stand to put underneath it so we can actually get it inside easily enough if a freeze is expected. I sure hope to have good luck with it and hopefully next season I'll have my very own crop of Meyer lemons.

236 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I bought a bag of mandarin oranges, squeezed them and made mandarin orange martinis for my husband and Roomie. If I must say so myself, they were quite tasty. I didn't drink any but had a taste or two. Both of them had a pleasant buzz going the rest of the night.

237 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:43 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gosh I love those. Love to toss them in all sorts of food

238 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:06 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:Gosh I love those. Love to toss them in all sorts of food

So do I! I like them because there isn't much pulp and fiber to gag on, they are really juicy, easy to peel and not nearly as acidic as regular oranges. I even love canned mandarins. That is the one thing I can't stand about oranges: the pulp. I feel like I have a mouth full of dog hair. I got about a cup of juice out of a 3 pound bag. That makes about 6 martinis. I used cheap booze. Caliber citrus vodka and triple sec. I can't imagine what it might taste like if I used a high end vodka, Cointreau or Grand Marnier.

239 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:11 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

How did you juice them .?

240 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:20 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Half were done by my husband with one of those yellow squeeze hand juicers and the other half was done on a Kitchenaid attachment. A bit messy either way but I think the bag was done in 5 minutes.

241 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:28 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I am completely bummed.  My little Meyer lemon tree was covered with blossoms.  The fragrance was overwhelming as I opened my front door.  Then, we got a hard rain (when the flowers were in full bloom) and now I have no blooms and NO fruit, either.

You could try buying some of the "bloom plenty" type fertilizer, Beth, and putting some on It right away. You might be able to force some more blooms out if you hurry so you can salvage some of your season. Can't hurt anything either...

242 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
You could try buying some of the "bloom plenty" type fertilizer, Beth, and putting some on It right away.  You might be able to force some more blooms out if you hurry so you can salvage some of your season.  Can't hurt anything either...

Thanks. Never heard of that. But, hey, it's worth a try at this point.

We have to go to Home Depot for some more dog repellent to sprinkle on the grass. I get so tired of people from other neighborhoods stopping their golf carts at the end of my yard and letting their crappy little dogs use our yard as a dog park. If you have a pet, train the little crapper to do it's buisness on YOUR grass....your brown, dead grass.

243 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:35 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:I don't know, Jimmy ~ ever since he retired, he now has an 'opinion' on the dishes I prepare.  He never use to care one way or the other, seemed to like everything I fixed.  Now he's concerned about the calorie count, the taste and how something is prepared.  Geesh!  Next thing you know he'll want to rearrange my kitchen cabinets for me to make them more efficient!  ((NO ~ We've already been there and he's been told to keep his hands off my kitchen pantry!))

Beth, maybe you should start having him cook dinner! For both of you!!  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 3267860543

244 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:
Beth, maybe you should start having him cook dinner! For both of you!!  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 3267860543

When our girls were in jr./high school I worked long hours at 'holiday times' at a wholesale greenhouse as a bookkeeper. My mother had moved on to being a nanny to other children so there were a lot of Saturdays and Sundays the three of them (Dane and the two girls) had to fend for themselves for lunch.

Our DD#1 learned to cook really quickly.....Dad had made them tomato soup (from a can) and grilled cheese sandwiches. The cheese sandwiches were black on the outside and cold on the inside.....

LOL

So, for our well being, I'll continue to be the cook of the family.

245 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:14 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:
cookingirl wrote:

When our girls were in jr./high school I worked long hours at 'holiday times' at a wholesale greenhouse as a bookkeeper.  My mother had moved on to being a nanny to other children so there were a lot of Saturdays and Sundays the three of them (Dane and the two girls) had to fend for themselves for lunch.  

Our DD#1 learned to cook really quickly.....Dad had made them tomato soup (from a can) and grilled cheese sandwiches.  The cheese sandwiches were black on the outside and cold on the inside.....

LOL

So, for our well being, I'll continue to be the cook of the family.

I can see your point!!  Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 1838020472

246 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

[quote="bethk"]
Crybaby wrote:
You could try buying some of the "bloom plenty" type fertilizer, Beth, and putting some on It right away.  You might be able to force some more blooms out if you hurry so you can salvage some of your season.  Can't hurt anything either...

Thanks.  Never heard of that.  But, hey, it's worth a try at this point.

We have to go to Home Depot for some more dog repellent to sprinkle on the grass.  I get so tired of people from other neighborhoods stopping their golf carts at the end of my yard and letting their crappy little dogs use our yard as a dog park.  If you have a pet, train the little crapper to do it's buisness on YOUR grass....your brown, dead grass.  [/quote

We have the same problem here with dogs using our front lawn to do their business. We bought this thing that attaches to a garden hose. It uses batteries. It has a sensor on it. We put the thing right up into a hedge and have it facing the lawn. If a dog went on our lawn to do his business, he would get sprayed with water. I can't tell you how many irate dog owners came up to our door to complain. We were in stitches laughing so hard. We told them if they didn't want their dog sprayed then keep them off the lawn. It worked but we made no friends.

247 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is HOT today. 90 degrees. Roomie and Joe went to the beach. I am fiddling around at home. I am trying out a recipe fore Egg McMuffins using mason jar lids and rings as a sort of egg ring. Works just fine except it is a little tricky getting the ring off without burning yourself.

Question: do you have a favorite brand of Canadian bacon?

I don't think I have to cook tonight because they are at the beach. I will probably make another McMuffin for dinner. I will get one bite and Joe will finish the rest.

I went the grocery store today and found a bag of frozen mandarin oranges. I am going to defrost them and throw them in a blender and strain the juice and see how it tastes and how much juice I get. Just last week I paid $2.99 for a 3lb bag of mandarins and this week they were $6.79. A heck of a jump in price. Frozen may be the way to go.

248 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

By the way Barb, I just got an email from Sur La Table. It has a recipe for rhubarb curd. Never seen that before. I know you eat it so if you are interested in the recipe I will post the recipe.

249 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:41 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh cool. Thanks

250 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HUGE supper tonight - meat, potatoes, two vegetables and a salad. That use to be my 'norm' ~ but it gets old real fast when you really don't need all that food at one sitting.

I had a thin London Broil (top round) in the freezer that I thawed in a soy/honey/red wine/dry rosemary marinade....had it in a zip top bag in the refrigerator and just kept turning it over every time I was in the kitchen. I made some chive butter potatoes, peas & carrots ~ a bit of a play on that one.....pea pods and sugar carrot, braised black kale with onion & bacon and a green been/red onion salad that is marinated in evoo & dill and half a lemon squeezed over just before serving.

S*T*U*F*F*E*D!!!

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 10 IMG_20160417_171451934

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum