Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wow!! April already Dinners.

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
NormM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 20]

101 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:40 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Take care Beth. My BIL and SIL caught the flu, went to the doctor and were quarantined for 10 days! I had no idea people were still quarantined.

102 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:40 pm

NormM

NormM

Get well quickly Beth.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

103 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am making pasta primavera tonight. Tons of veggies in a parmesan cream sauce with pasta.

Within two days both of my can openers bit the dust. Got a recommendation?

104 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:56 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

OXO mine has to be 5 years old and is sharp as the day I got it .

105 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have company from Germany (Berlin) We've now driven to an uncle's place from where the company will take off tomorrow direction Florida, then New Orleans, then basically north-west toward through your beautiful national parks, direction Vancouver, then east back here. Three months in a Winnebago.

While here, I have basically taken over cooking duties for 5 of us. Home fries, bacon, eggs this morning, now they are all gone for a practice run with the motor home, I'm holding down the fort. Unc has his place up for sale (he's 83) and potential buyers are coming this afternoon.

Tonight we'll grill something, I am making scallopped potatoes. I have no idea what they will bring for the grill, but that's O.K. None of us are picky eaters. The German cousins have a motor home there, and have travelled all over Europe, the Middle East, Turkey etc. in it, just this one is about 3 ft. longer.

106 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I would really love to take a tour of the US in a motor home. There are so many places I want to see and eat at.

107 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh No!... Beth needs the Medicine Man.

Go get a chicken, and throw it in a pot.
Get yer hose and water, and fill it up a lot.
Cook it good; drink a lot,
When it's gone....make another pot!

Take care Beth..

Last night we had the kids over, and I made an eye round so we could have Roy Rogers roast beef sandwiches. Plus we fried fresh cut French fries, and picked up cole slaw from KFC.
All went good, and we all were so full; after finishing it off with a white cake, and an angel food pineapple cake.
The angel food was so good.... I couldn't believe how easy it was for Tina to make.
She threw a can of crushed pineapple into a box cake mix ( angel food cake )... 44 minutes, and it was done. Oh! forgot! ... mixed on medium for one minute, and no longer.
I cannot believe how good that cake came out.

108 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy I have waited a few days for you to respond back to me about the plumbing issue !!!!

109 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:I would really love to take a tour of the US in a motor home. There are so many places I want to see and eat at.

We are going to try to co-ordinate timing etc., so that when they reach New Orleans I will fly down, rent a car for a few days, so that we can then all do day trips in that, and leave the Winnebago parked.

Peter used to work for the German Archaeological Institute and was in Teheran for almost 20 years, including the time that they had their revolution. After that he was posted to Istanbul for 10 years, and finally in Athens, Greece for 7. They speak German, English, Farsi, Turkish and Greek. They have lived a very interesting life.

110 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy I have waited a few days for you to respond back to me about the plumbing issue !!!!

I must have missed it... You know I would have replied to that.... LOL... I have to look for it. This aged mind!!

111 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:32 pm

NormM

NormM

I am smoking some trimmed spare ribs. Here they are 2 hours in.  2 more to go.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 DSCN3418_zpsap563f5k

I was going to make sausage with the rib trimmings and the trimmings I took from 3 or 4 briskets but the brisket parts aren't in the freezer.  Someone must have cleaned out the freezer and threw them away... probably when she was making room for her tamale stuff.

112 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am so hungry for something smoked. I watch these shows where the restaurant smokes their own ribs, brisket etc. The only place I can think of that says they smoke their meat is Lucille's BBQ and even though they have heavenly odors coming out from the place and you supposedly can see their smokers, I think it is a sham. I think they just burn wood.

113 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I am smoking some trimmed spare ribs. Here they are 2 hours in.  2 more to go.

I was going to make sausage with the rib trimmings and the trimmings I took from 3 or 4 briskets but the brisket parts aren't in the freezer.  Someone must have cleaned out the freezer and threw them away... probably when she was making room for her tamale stuff.

They look great. I know someone who will be licking their fingers soon. Yummm!!

114 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:35 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Bugster2 wrote:

Years ago...like about 7, I bought one of those hand held, battery operated ones from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I think I spent $10 for it...

It turned out to be the best thing I ever bought!!
When I got it, I thought it would be good for my dad, cuz he was still helping out in the kitchen but was elderly.
I also did not want to take up counter space and the hand crank ones were bothering my carpal tunnel--wrist..

This turned out to be awesome when I broke my arm.. All my home health aides raved about it.

I still use it.. just change out the 2 AA  batteries...

I store it in one of my kitchen drawers..

It does create sharp edges to the tops of the cans.

I am now looking for one that just breaks the seal~~~

I would highly recommend this type over any and all others.

Barb, thanks for the compliment. The paprika I got from Penzey's was a Hungarian mix or sweet and spicy..really good...

I love Penzey's.. so much better than McCormack

115 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:38 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Niagara Visitor wrote:I have company from Germany (Berlin) We've now driven to an uncle's place from where the company will take off tomorrow direction Florida, then New Orleans, then basically north-west toward through your beautiful national parks, direction Vancouver, then east back here.  Three months in a Winnebago.

While here, I have basically taken over cooking duties for 5 of us.  Home fries, bacon, eggs this morning, now they are all gone for a practice run with the motor home, I'm holding down the fort.  Unc has his place up for sale (he's 83) and potential buyers are coming this afternoon.

Tonight we'll grill something, I am making scallopped potatoes.  I have no idea what they will bring for the grill, but that's O.K. None of us are picky eaters.  The German cousins have a motor home there, and have travelled all over Europe, the Middle East, Turkey etc. in it, just this one is about 3 ft. longer.  

That sounds so cool and interesting..
although, you would really have to love the person you share the close quarters with...I mean 24/7..... tongue

116 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:40 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

NormM wrote:I am smoking some trimmed spare ribs. Here they are 2 hours in.  2 more to go.

I have been wanting ribs for a while....making me hungry....

117 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gosh, Norm, those ribs are restaurant magazine cover worthy! Absolutely beautiful.

Tonight 'HE' wanted salad. He said he's overdone it lately and just wants something really light. I was just happy for a suggestion. So, I took some meds to stop the cough and figured I had a good 2 hours to prep and eat.....then, just before I go to bed I can take it again and hopefully get a few hours sleep.

So, HIS & her salads.....HIS, Greek style with his Feta & Olives, mine like a Chef's Salad minus the cheese - romaine, carrots, celery, cucumber, Black Forest ham, hard cooked eggs, tomatoes & CRUNCHIES....the best part !

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 IMG_20160409_173128405

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 IMG_20160409_173137261

118 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

looks great Beth.. I am making German stuff.It might not be really German lol.Got some pork shoulder with gravy and beets and spaetzle.

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 12936696_956601971082906_7418698613805979199_n

119 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:53 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks everyone for your comments. As to restaurant's smoking meat, I think a lot of BBQ restaurants actually steam their ribs until tender than slather them with sauce and pass them over the flames on a grill for a couple seconds.  There are several times I have ordered "BBQ" and when I get it, I highly doubt it was really smoked with wood.  If the literally fall off the bone, I know they were over cooked in a steamer.  There is one in Topeka that says it has won a lot of awards but I think if the admitted it, those awards are from the Elks club or the Chamber of Commerce and not from a real BBQ contest.

120 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:01 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:Gosh, Norm, those ribs are restaurant magazine cover worthy!  Absolutely beautiful.

Tonight 'HE' wanted salad.  He said he's overdone it lately and just wants something really light.  I was just happy for a suggestion.  So, I took some meds to stop the cough and figured I had a good 2 hours to prep and eat.....then, just before I go to bed I can take it again and hopefully get a few hours sleep.

So, HIS & her salads.....HIS, Greek style with his Feta & Olives, mine like a Chef's Salad minus the cheese - romaine, carrots, celery, cucumber, Black Forest ham, hard cooked eggs, tomatoes & CRUNCHIES....the best part !

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 IMG_20160409_173128405

Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 IMG_20160409_173137261

CRUNCHES are the "best" part of any salad.....along with the protein....

121 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

cookingirl wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

Years ago...like about 7, I bought one of those hand held, battery operated ones from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I think I spent $10 for it...

It turned out to be the best thing I ever bought!!
When I got it, I thought it would be good for my dad, cuz he was still helping out in the kitchen but was elderly.
I also did not want to take up counter space and the hand crank ones were bothering my carpal tunnel--wrist..

This turned out to be awesome when I broke my arm.. All my home health aides raved about it.

I still use it.. just change out the 2 AA  batteries...

I store it in one of my kitchen drawers..

It does create sharp edges to the tops of the cans.

I am now looking for one that just breaks the seal~~~

I would highly recommend this type over any and all others.

Barb, thanks for the compliment. The paprika I got from Penzey's was a Hungarian mix or sweet and spicy..really good...

I love Penzey's.. so much better than McCormack

That is one of the ones that broke. It isn't fast but it did the job.

122 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Boy!.... every ones meals look like magazine cover pictures.

Tina made her wedding soup; with tiny meatballs in it. Then she fried a bunch to munch on.

I just had a roast beef on a hoagie roll that I toasted and buttered. Then two plain cake doughnuts with a nice cup of coffee. It's still cold out ( 34º ) but no snow. It started to snow, but then it fizzled out.

123 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am making pasta primavera tonight. Tons of veggies in a parmesan cream sauce with pasta.

Bugs... Tina bought this thing, and I laughed when it arrived in the mail. Well.... I L O V E the opener. It cuts the seal on the can, and no sharp edges.
It is a manual one, but easy enough to turn. It has a little button that opens / closes like a little jaw, and that grips the lid to make it easy to open the cut top.

Tina, I take all those laughs back, and commend you for buying this opener.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Safety-Master-Opener/dp/B000B6NXL6/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1460251981&sr=1-2&keywords=rikon+can+opener

124 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I am making pasta primavera tonight. Tons of veggies in a parmesan cream sauce with pasta.

Bugs... Tina bought this thing, and I laughed when it arrived in the mail. Well.... I  L O V E the opener. It cuts the seal on the can, and no sharp edges.
It is a manual one, but easy enough to turn. It has a little button that opens / closes like a little jaw, and that grips the lid to make it easy to open the cut top.

Tina, I take all those laughs back, and commend you for buying this opener.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Safety-Master-Opener/dp/B000B6NXL6/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1460251981&sr=1-2&keywords=rikon+can+opener

Jimmy! That is the same one I just ordered! How funny is that? The one that broke was Kuhn Rikon and I liked it so I bought the one with a few more bells and whistles.

125 Wow!! April already Dinners. - Page 5 Empty Re: Wow!! April already Dinners. Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I forgot to say that I prefer an opener that cuts from the side. I have an old Krups electric opener that I love but I am saving that for when my hands hurt too much to use a manual opener.

I made pasta primavera tonight and used a new brand of pasta I ran across. It is Delverde, made in Italy and it is called tagliatelle. Oh it was really good. It also cost a dollar more than Barilla. I am going to hunt for better price but it was worth it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum