Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???"

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
cookingirl
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 12]

51October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:17 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Brats and potato pancakes. YUM.

I'm on the same 'wave length', Norm. One of these days real soon I'll have German potato pancakes and grilled brats (with sides of sour cream and applesauce) on my menu plan.

52October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

making chili today.with cornbread..Nice & cool but it will not last. back up in the high 80 even 90`... October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 1562938848 October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 1562938848

53October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:43 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

I made minnestrone soup yesterday! left overs today...

I have not made soup for a couple of years! I forgot how much the recipe calls for. I had written on the recipe to make a half recipe, but did I got also with my notes? NO! I had so much that I gave some away to a couple of cousins...

I thought it came out awesome! but have not heard anything from them...oh well, I cook to my OWN tastes!!!!

It did feel so good to cook and make something really good.
problem is, I tasted so much that I did not have an appetite for supper!!!!

and that is my story!!

54October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:55 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I made minnestrone soup yesterday! left overs today.

MY favorite soup.I even make it the summer when the fresh veggie are out.I have cheated & use canned or frozen veggies & it is still awesome.I eat it for days..well maybe 2 days lol.then if I am sick of that last bit I give it to my dogs OMG they love it too.lol.

55October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:I made minnestrone soup yesterday! left overs today...

I have not made soup for a couple of years! I forgot how much the recipe calls for. I had written on the recipe to make a half recipe, but did I got also with my notes? NO! I had so much that I gave some away to a couple of cousins...

I thought it came out awesome! but have not heard anything from them...oh well, I cook to my OWN tastes!!!!

It did feel so good to cook and make something really good.
problem is, I tasted so much that I did not have an appetite for supper!!!!

and that is my story!!

Sounds great cookingirl... Do you add fennel seeds to the soup?

Growing up, there was always ( sometimes every day ) a minnestra cooking on the stove. The ladies would use whatever greens that were available.
They would boil the heck out of it, and forever. They would put it on early AM, and by 2:00 o'clock in the afternoon, it was done. If it wasn't a Friday, it would have some kind of meat in it. Usually Pork, or a couple pieces of pepperoni or sausage. Always there was a small potato stuck in there. It boiled so long, it mushed apart in pieces.

They ate it every day, and I remember asking,"Why is there always minnestra cooking Gram?" ..... She said," Cause it's a medicine to clean all the bad stuff out of the stomach!" ... Like..? ? ? ? ? "WHAT?"

56October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:43 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, that is such a funny story...thanks for the chuckle..

No, I did not put fennel seeds in the soup. I do not have any in the house.
I do not know if I ever tasted fennel seeds....
Are they in anything else?
I am wondering what the taste is like.
I never had fennel either.....sheltered life!!!!

57October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:47 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Fennel has a liquorice taste.I do not use it.Then again I do not rosemary or caraway.

58October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was a beautiful 'blue sky' day....perfect to fire up the grill !

Wings and steamed red beet stems ~ the red beets got made into a quart of pickles.

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 100614

59October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy, that is such a funny story...thanks for the chuckle..

I don't use fennel seed, either. Just not something my mom or grandma cooked with. It's the flavor in Italian sausage. I understand some people like the licorice flavor of raw fennel sliced up for salads. I've roasted it once and it wasn't a favorite for us so I leave it in the store for all the Italians to buy. I think it's an acquired taste, not bad, just not familiar to me.

60October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Fennel seed is essential in Italian sausage. I rarely use it outside of that. I have had fresh fennel a few times in my life. I can't remember what it tastes like. I don't think it was of licorice. It must not have been impressive either way or I would remember the taste.

61October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:Fennel has a liquorice taste.I do not use it.Then again I do not rosemary or caraway.

You have to be careful of rosemary. A little bit goes a long way. Too much and the dish tastes like a pine tree. I used to hate caraway but now I like it in rye bread. An acquired taste in my adulthood. Same with asparagus. Hated it as a child but love it now. Loved watermelon as a child and can't stand it as an adult.

62October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 User13662_pic4241_1321319997

I thought about not posting my wings... October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 2876911673 October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 2876911673

63October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:18 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 10388653_882255951785834_6382350923146140823_n

AND then there is this..I like crab but not looking forward to getting it.. affraid

64October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Italian sausage has it in. The fennel seed is actually not a seed; so they say.

Now., there is a flavoring seed that tastes like liquorice called anise seed.
they are black. They sometimes use that in Italian sausage, and I don't like it.
In biscotti they are ok.

65October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:51 pm

NormM

NormM

I made Korean beef bone soup last night. Charlie and Cassie had some and I froze the rest for his mom when she is here in a few weeks. Today we had Chinese takeout and Wed. I plan navy beans, ( I looked for mayocoba but couldn't find any) with pork hocks and greens.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

66October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I hate fresh fennel leaves.... Both Italian sides ( families) never used it either.
Never used balsamic vinegar. Never knew it even existed. White or Wine vinegar, ant that was it!

Fennel seed has a sweet peppery tast if it is roasted, and then the liquorice flavor goes away.

Rosemary is very potent. too much and it can ruin a dish.

67October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I made Korean beef bone soup last night. Charlie and Cassie had some and I froze the rest for his mom when she is here in a few weeks.  Today we had Chinese takeout and Wed. I plan navy beans, ( I looked for mayocoba but couldn't find any) with pork hocks and greens.

Don't forget Norm. "Hold the fennel!" October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 2876911673

68October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I like a little fennel on pizza.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

69October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a personal Pizza using a whole wheat pita bread...added tomatoes and cheese and cooked it in the toaster oven. It was great. ( I got to taste it ) ( Almost the whole thing )!

Gabe had a sandwich and chips.

I charred 2 Hot Spicy Brats on the grill, then cut them up in pieces, and added them to tomatoes, onions, and peppers Sauce. Had that over Ziti macaroni.
Wow, it was great!

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 GnhmSA

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 NUA0ta

70October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:02 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Jimmy.....looks like Tina got 2 bites of that personal pizza and you, Mr. Nice Guy, suffered through the rest of it so it didn't go to waste!

LOL

What a great guy you are.

Hahahahahaha!

71October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:32 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yeah, Jimmy.....looks like Tina got 2 bites of that personal pizza and you, Mr. Nice Guy, suffered through the rest of it so it didn't go to waste!

LOL

What a great guy you are.

Hahahahahaha!

Beth.... You could be the worlds greatest detective! You hit the nail right on the head; word for word, and actions right to the Tee!

72October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:18 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Not much cookin' here except for my emails. I am suddenly getting invitations from topless girls. Where in heaven's name did they get my email?
It was hot again today, about 96 so I did burgers on the grill. At least it kept the heat outside.

73October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Not much cookin' here except for my emails. I am suddenly getting invitations from topless girls. Where in heaven's name did they get my email?
It was hot again today, about 96 so I did burgers on the grill. At least it kept the heat outside.

Lucky YOU! They just want to be friends.....

(I get stuff from people wanting me to buy 'male inhancement' equipment.....nah, I don't think so)

74October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

our "meatless" Monday.. tuna quiche

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 23-5

75October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken (again.....sigh) with a side of sweet chili sauce, baked acorn squash & asparagus.

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 3 100714

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum