Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???"

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
cookingirl
Bugster2
Niagara Visitor
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 12]

276October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

277October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And a Happy Halloween right back at ya, Jimmy!

My burger decided to get disguised as happy face for the holiday.....

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 103114

278October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

look good...Oh that is what I should have.I keep forgetting to get those potato's..

279October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:And a Happy Halloween right back at ya, Jimmy!

My burger decided to get disguised as  happy face for the holiday.....

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 103114

Looks good, but whe whe where is the bun??

280October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina and Maria dressed up for the halloween day!

Had tons of KK doughnuts, and my favorite Boston Cream filled!

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 DOi7ig

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 YfBmZq

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 MH4j7B

October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Z1Em55

281October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Niagara Visitor

I haven't checked in for a few days. Last check in here was Oct. 24, closing date on my farm. I am now officially a condo resident. Still organizing, and now I am taking stuff to the Benefit Shop which I brought from the farm, and now realize "what was I thinking???"

Had my sis and brother-in-law here for dinner last night. Brother-in-law is from Trinidad..................... what did I cook? Sauerkraut, smoked pork chops, mashed potatoes. This Trinidadian loves German food!

282October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:yup  took my reading this morning at 7am..169/91.

No salt for me.so lets see.no salt,low carb,no to low sugar. Lean protein.. so that means no bacon.cut way back on pasta,treat myself to a small bit of bread.
Cut back on beef.Kinda does damage to my baking too.

Got to bring that ### down.. silent   Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I know this is an out of date thread but I was reading some of the messages I miss when I saw this. I was reading some healthy mag from my insurance company yesterday and saw where bread is high in salt. I didn't know that but I figured I'd depress you even more Laughing

283October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:56 pm

NormM

NormM

I kind of question that. I checked my sourdough French bread recipe and it has 3 tsp. salt for close to 7 cups of flour. That is 1 1/2 tsp. per loaf. If there is ten slices in a loaf, that is 0.15 tsp per slice.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

284October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:10 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

and it is said 4 eggs per week,poached or boiled,the day you have egg cut back on meat,cheese,butter..

LOL. I am really off the chart.I do like poached /boiled but not every time.I cook my 2 egg omelet or any other way, in butter & loads of cheese.   opps...

Oh yes how I love real sourdough..

285October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I kind of question that.  I checked my sourdough French bread recipe and it has 3 tsp. salt for close to 7 cups of flour. That is 1 1/2 tsp. per loaf.  If there is ten slices in a loaf, that is 0.15 tsp per slice.  

Norm, I believe the average recommended salt intake is 2300 mg, which is about one teaspoon.  With hypertension, I think it's usually about 1500 mg.  I've read that most of the salt we consume daily is from packaged or processed food.  

I just googled salt intake in store-bought bread and read that under pressure from food agencies, the bread industry is gradually reducing levels of salt in bread.  

Also, here's a clip from a Reuters article dated 2.7.12:

(Reuters) - "Nine out of 10 American adults consume too much salt and the leading culprit is not potato chips or popcorn but slices of bread and dinner rolls, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Tuesday.

Forty-four percent of salt consumed can be linked to 10 types of foods, CDC said. Bread and rolls lead the list followed by cold cuts and cured meat, pizza, poultry, soups, sandwiches, cheese, pasta dishes, meat dishes and snacks such as pretzels and potato chips.

Bread may not have much salt in a single serving, but when eaten several times a day can raise daily salt intake. A single slice of white bread could contain as many as 230 milligrams of salt [one-tenth of the recommended daily intake; your homemade bread is one-tenth of the RDI of a person with hypertension], according to the CDC."  

Here's a link to the whole article, Norm:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/07/us-salt-idUSTRE81622G20120207

I was really surprised as well about the bread when I read it...

286October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Has anyone else here made a batch of bread and 'forgot' to add the salt?

I did it once and DD#1 (our family bread baker supreme) has done it once.

We BOTH tossed the baked bread as soon as we tasted it. Yuck!

As with most things, I'll take my meds to keep my BP in check. But I will not stop using salt.

I'll try to not over do the intake, but I also won't eat bland, flavorless foods just because someone tells me I'm killin' myself. But, in case I dissapear and you suddenly discover I dropped over dead ~ well, you all just make up your own minds! lol

287October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Has anyone else here made a batch of bread and 'forgot' to add the salt?

I did it once and DD#1 (our family bread baker supreme) has done it once.

We BOTH tossed the baked bread as soon as we tasted it.  Yuck!

As with most things, I'll take my meds to keep my BP in check.  But I will not stop using salt.

I'll try to not over do the intake, but I also won't eat bland, flavorless foods just because someone tells me I'm killin' myself.  But, in case I dissapear and you suddenly discover I dropped over dead ~ well, you all just make up your own minds!  lol

Beth, I am a fan of your club! You can count me in! LOL....

It's like when I smoked cigarettes ..... people would say,"you're killing yourself with those THINGS!" and I would say, "And when I die, just remember to pack my _ ss in packs of them, and don't forget the matches!"

We cook with salt for flavor, but rarely do we shake shake shake salt on our food as we eat. Gotta have salt on tomatoes / eggs a little / and while cooking a burger and steaks. Pork requires more salt.

What I found out recently, is I add salt to the burger beef and mix it in before I form the patties. That way, I use less salt, and it is tasty through and through! Everyone comments,"Boy Jimmy, you make such great tasty burgers!"

On the other hand, I won't add salt if someone is on a salt restricted diet.
If I do add salt, I will say."Burgers are cooked, and I salted lightly before I cooked them!" ........... I had never had a complaint!

Ya ever eat a pretzel without salt?? LOL Horrible!!!!

288October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Boy not me.If I can do one thing to bring down my HBP I can get rid of salt.

289October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

What is really foul tasting is that fake salt or salt substitute. It tastes bitter to me.

It was 90 degrees again today and going to be hotter tomorrow. DH and roomie are going to the beach. The water is warm and DH wants to snorkel. Tonight's dinner was cheese enchiladas. Very good especially with Barb's sauce. I will have to hit the Pepcid to ward off the burn.

290October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Boy not me.If I can do one thing to bring down my HBP I can get rid of salt.

What I don't understand, is people saying use the good salt. Sea salt!
It's te salt for the heart! What a Face

291October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am on a heart health blog & Sea salt is just as bad as all other salt.I bought some pink salt a while ago,supposed to be better for you..I put it away too lol.

I am going to pick up Ms Dash & see if I like it..

When my HBP comes down within a normal range I may add a bit ,,

292October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I am on a heart health blog & Sea salt is just as bad as all other salt.I bought some pink salt a while ago,supposed to be better for you..I put it away too lol.

I am going to pick up Ms Dash & see if I like it..

Sometimes people are misled with health issues and the ones who know minerals that are good.....

I was on that mrs. dash and is was not bad. Then Tina bought the different spiced ones. yuuk!.... The original is the best tasting we have decided. I threw the other ones out.
I used to also, use the mortons near salt. It's citric acid crystals, and potassium salt.

293October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" - Page 12 Empty Re: October, 2014 ~ What's for dinner ???" Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:59 pm

NormM

NormM

I have forgot to put salt in bread too.  For such a small amount of the whole recipe, it make a huge difference.  I recently made some bread and forgot to write the amount down so I guessed. It turned out I used 1 tsp instead of 1 Tbsp. and it still was OK but no salt and yuck.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum