Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen?

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Bugster2
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 15]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Golly Gosh, Barb, but that acorn squash looks too good to me.  Even though it's not my "favorite", I'd eat it in a second!

Your "boy-d" (boy bird) looks pretty hefty.  That should feed you and the girls for a while.  And after you smoke him you can make smoked carcass stock....now THAT sounds good to me.  Use it for some chicken tortilla soup. Ohhhh, ohhhh, ohhhh........OR smoked chicken chowder!

NormM

NormM

Charlie made Kalbi for dinner last night.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

we had a new store open really close by,, Harris Teeter. They had eggs for .99c,whole chickens .78clb.BOGO bags of pre made salad like dummy I bought those 2. I already have 2 heads of bitter lettuce  Shocked Paper T 6 roll pack $2..other stuff that I did not need..Yet here I am fixin to go out to get some deli meat & cheese & bread.Cat food,she will not a thing unless it has Friskies on the label.. I bought 9lives,,oh heck no she would not touch it..Spoiled they are..All of them..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Cat food,she will not a thing unless it has Friskies on the label.. I bought 9lives,,oh heck no she would not touch it..Spoiled they are..All of them..

and WHO might be the one who has spoiled them????

the one who loves them all to bits! That's who.

Barbara101

Barbara101

you know my girls are really spoiled BUT this MS CAT drives me nuts.When she wants out she goes from door to window back to other windows she gets under my wood plantation blinds . No matter what time. 2Am she is making all kinds of noise getting behind the drapes & blinds. For what lol. Then she will jump on me,walk all over me, use her claws to rub on me. till I get up & let her out.Or feed her.This is funny,, I bought 3 pet beds,,Guess who has taken them over  cat Molly loves Cat they run around & play.Maggie hates Cat..lol. When Cat gets on me,she chases her off,stands watch so she does not come back lol lol

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

our supper yesterday... I call it an American (gringo) meal.. Dirk likes it very much.. I like it too.. but I still have to eat some rice later last night as I was hungry again  Shocked 

roast chuck .. I rubbed it with brisket rub and tomato ketchup.. it was so good.. the meat melted in my mouth.. sauteed kale + baby spinach, I added some balsamic vinegar.. oh.. so good.. and mash potatoes with chive

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 13 DSCN1083

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:our supper yesterday... I call it an American (gringo) meal.. Dirk likes it very much.. I like it too.. but I still have to eat some rice later last night as I was hungry again  Shocked 

roast chuck .. I rubbed it with brisket rub and tomato ketchup.. it was so good.. the meat melted in my mouth.. sauteed kale + baby spinach, I added some balsamic vinegar.. oh.. so good.. and mash potatoes with chive

How funny that if you don't have rice, you get hungry an hour later....

It's a common (misconception) for Americans when they eat Asian food with rice that they are hungry an hour later.

I think it's just like a body clock, and sometimes our bodies are not satisfied until we give in to what our body wants!

I know I'd be very satisfied if I sat down to that yummy looking supper!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cheater pulled pork sandwiches tonight. The whole house smells like hickory. I probably won't want any by the time it is done. I will have dined off the smell.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love when I can pull some pulled pork or shredded beef for sandwiches out of the freezer.

I had a late lunch at the Thai Ruby restaurant - noodles & vegetables. So, I think I'm going to skip supper.

Dane is on his way, should be here around midnight or 1:00 am ~ nerves have hold of me 'cause I hate that he insists on driving straight through, only stopping for gasoline. I do have some chicken soup made for him if he wants a little something, but it has to be light because as soon as he relaxes he'll be asleep and I don't want him waking up in a few hours in pain (right, Jimmy?). Last time he drove down he had two cocktails, a bowl of soup and fell asleep in the chair mid-sentence. I just covered him with a light blanket and went to bed.

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 13 299168_147432355341358_2058282_n

bethk

bethk
Admin

Holy Moley! Looks like that big boy grew! How much did it weigh, 8 pounds?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:visit the other Uncle in Mays Landing. She has a whole trunk full of frozen dinners and snacks and you name it for the next month.

Poor Tina! Meals on Wheels.... Pharmacy lady (she has to get his meds filled) and Tax Lady...( She has to go into town and pay his property taxes )
He is worried the sheriff is gonna evict him by the end of the month!

He has to pay in person to get the tax office to stamp the tax notice PAID To Date! .... Stubborn!!

does he get out? Have folks who look in on him?  I tell ya, I had to move from CA to take of my Mom,she darn near burned the house down 4 times.....

My DS just moved to DEL.have no idea why he did that..????? He sent pics of his house he bought .......SNOW hahahhaa..That house is HUGE.His heating bill will make him  January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 13 652761166 

Barb! Her uncle gets out, but with the little snow they got there (snow is rare or usually light) like his driveway gets plowed by the Farmer next to him.
The problem was that the last week, the driveway was crusted and slippery wiyh ice. He drives around town and he was getting panicky because he couldn't.
His garage is not attached to the house, and he has to walk like 30 feet to the garage, and he was afraid to fall on the ice.

He has his usual routine, and like he goes to WaWa (convenient store) for his coffee, and the paper. Then he goes to a store in town to get his lottery scratch offs. Afternoon it's Mcdonalds for his cheeseburger and another coffee.
Almost every day he does that, or the deli in town for a sandwich to take home.
So being a diabetic he gets his carb that way. He wasn't eating or not eating his protein, and even though Tina prepares like 15 frozen dinners with meat and sweet potatoes, and beans etc,
He also had cabin fever and anxiety because he could not get out.
Then he was worried his car would die from not being started. It was 50º there today, and he drove the car up and down the street so the car would loosen up and work all the grease to lube the joints.

Tina got his meds today, and paid his property taxes. He felt much better today and his 91 year old brother that Tina picked up on the way, even gave him a haircut.
He is as sharp as a whip, and the crossword puzzle in each days paper, he gets the answers 100% right.
He is hard of hearing, but he has 13,000.00 hearing aids in the drawer...Brand New! He won't wear them.  Mad

He only knows how to use the microwave. The stove is brand new, and he is deathly afraid of it. He doesn't even know how to turn it on.

I told Tina, if that microwave ever needs replacing, he will be totally lost; because the one he has is a relic, and it is just a knob that he turns to reheat for 2 minutes at the time. All the new ones are digital push button, and he would never be able to set the timer.

The farmer next door checks on him especially after storms. Tina calls him every day at 6:30PM. Without fail.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I love when I can pull some pulled pork or shredded beef for sandwiches out of the freezer.  

I had a late lunch at the Thai Ruby restaurant - noodles & vegetables.  So, I think I'm going to skip supper.  

Dane is on his way, should be here around midnight or 1:00 am ~ nerves have hold of me 'cause I hate that he insists on driving straight through, only stopping for gasoline.  I do have some chicken soup made for him if he wants a little something, but it has to be light because as soon as he relaxes he'll be asleep and I don't want him waking up in a few hours in pain (right, Jimmy?).  Last time he drove down he had two cocktails, a bowl of soup and fell asleep in the chair mid-sentence.  I just covered him with a light blanket and went to bed.

Oh! Beth! I'm so happy for you both! God Bless!
Just get him comfy and let him sleep!
And BTW... " CONGRATULATIONS" on his Retirement!

So when are you gonna present him with the Honey DO List? LOL
I know you've got one. Huh! It'll probably Fill The Paper Shredder!
Cuz that's what I did with mine!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

At around 5:30 I grabbed two hot dogs and steamed them. Had them, (Enjoyably) with spicy brown mustard / minced fine onions, and Chili Sauce all on split top buns. Boy did they hit the spot!!.....

Then a Normal Size of the Vanilla cake with butter cream Icing and a coffee!

That was the cutoff point for food today!   Sad 

Tina had a egg over easy on top of 2/3 cup of Corned Beef Hash!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Lately my hot dogs have been tasting bad to me. I couldn't figure out why. Tonight we had pulled pork sandwiches and it tasted bad to me. I think I found out the culprit: Sara Lee buns. They never used to taste bad but now they do. I guess I will have to find another brand.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Lately my hot dogs have been tasting bad to me. I couldn't figure out why. Tonight we had pulled pork sandwiches and it tasted bad to me. I think I found out the culprit: Sara Lee buns. They never used to taste bad but now they do. I guess I will have to find another brand.

Bugs... do you have Arnolds Rolls near you?

Pepperidge Farms is pretty good too!...let me see what the buns were I had my hot dogs with tonight.....

OK...they were Pepperidge Farms split top buns. They were awesome!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I usually go for the potato bread buns or honey bread buns.....both seem to hold up better to freezing and that's what I end up doing with the majority of mine. But I've figured out if I take the time to wrap each bun individually in plastic wrap (I have that Mondo Size box of Kirkland plastic wrap sitting on my countertop) and then back into the bun bag & into the freezer, well, then the buns don't get freezer burned or an off taste. I usually just pull one at a time and let it thaw in the plastic wrap on the counter.

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Lately my hot dogs have been tasting bad to me. I couldn't figure out why. Tonight we had pulled pork sandwiches and it tasted bad to me. I think I found out the culprit: Sara Lee buns. They never used to taste bad but now they do. I guess I will have to find another brand.

Pepperidge Farms is pretty good too!...let me see what the buns were I had my hot dogs with tonight.....

No, no Arnolds rolls out here. No split top ones either. I like potato buns but there is a little too much bread for my liking. Ball Park isn't bad. Oroweat is good. I will give them a try. I am going to toss all my Sara Lee. Blech!

Barbara101

Barbara101

It might not be the buns.My Mom meds made her have no taste for foods.Or foods did not taste good to her anymore.

when I lived out there I loved going to the street markets & Little owner owned stores/markets.heck I even liked Ralphs lol the bakery breads where awesome.

I can not even tell you how much I love & miss Sourdough bread.I even ordered it for yrs.But almost $50 for bread was to much after awhile.

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is the buns. I gave it a good taste test to make sure. It is funny because I usually can find no fault with a breads taste. Texture, yes, but taste , no. I have found that I don't like rosemary bread if it has too much rosemary. It tastes like a pine tree. I don't like kalamata bread and any kind of bread with raisins or other fruits. But the basic dough is usually fine. There is a brand of whole grain or wheat flatbread I don't like. I thought it was bitter. There is a brand of flour tortillas I don't care for either. For some reason they are slightly sweet and I find that unpleasant.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have a feeling it's going to be chicken soup and hot tea today. On his first day of retirement, well, technically his SECOND day, "he" came down with the "creepin' crud"....stomach, headache, chills, fever....you name the symptom, he's got it. He said he was awake all night, when I got up at 5 a.m. he was on the couch. I just stood away from him, tried not to breathe his germy air, and sent him in to bed.

Aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh! I do not want to be his nursemaid!

Seriously, I will just try to keep him sleeping and will push the fluids. Got no place to be, got nothin' else to do. With luck it'll just be a 24-hour thing and he'll be back to sitting in the sunshine by Saturday.

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

No, no Arnolds rolls out here. No split top ones either. I like potato buns but there is a little too much bread for my liking. Ball Park isn't bad. Oroweat is good. I will give them a try. I am going to toss all my Sara Lee. Blech!
I think Arnolds is the same as Oroweat. We have Oroweat in Phx...I bet you have them in CA.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes we have Oroweat. That is what I am going to buy today. I love their wheatberry bread but it has gone up to $5/loaf. It is getting so you can't afford to eat anymore.

I did something totally lazy and decadent. I was craving some pecan pie but didn't want to make the crust so I made a pan of filling. I am having it for breakfast this morning.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

am thinking of omelet since yesterday.. so today will ( or might ) cook omelet for supper.. I have smoked salmon to add into it.. but we'll see..  Smile 

Barbara101

Barbara101

January 2014: What's Cooking in the Kitchen? - Page 13 Gourmetbeansoup425a

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum