Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"

+4
Crybaby
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Believe it or not, that pile came from one small Yukon potato - sliced thin, stacked & cut into julienne. Then soaked in cold water to remove some starch & dried really well before cooking in 375° oil ~ no need to double fry when it's a small amount and the potatoes are room temp & dry.

I cooked the shrimps in the oil at about 335° and then kept them warm in the toaster oven while the potatoes were frying.

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 Beefandbrewstew

as far as I got. No potatoes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Don't need potatoes.....you got gravy on noodles! That's one of MY favorites. What did you think of the flavor?

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 4137497845 DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 4137497845 DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 3602300868 

Gosh so good.Love it.I used the bottled It dressing too seemed to be 1/2 cup or so...I may make some mashed potato for the leftovers..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, now you join Norm & me in probably turning that into one of your standards!

I love to shred the leftover meat & douse in the gravy/juices, then just warm up with mashed potatoes like you suggest or topped with melted mozzarella on a crusty roll for Italian beef sandwiches. The meat stays super moist with the juices and doesn't taste "left over protein" to me.

Barbara101

Barbara101

oh that sounds good. I bought 4 bakery hoagie buns for grilled hot dogs.Might have to forgo that lol
It is 78` in my house affraid I may have to keep my fans running all winter.Over 80` for tomorrow.Air might have to be put on.

bethk

bethk
Admin

it's warm here, too. But I opened the sliders, more to air out the "deep fried" smell than anything.

Of course, when I opened one of the sliders a huge hairy spider decided to try to sneak in. Thank goodness it decided to stop under my reading chair and I was able to smack it with my flip flop.

Ewwww, I hate spiders!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Believe it or not, that pile came from one small Yukon potato - sliced thin, stacked & cut into julienne.  Then soaked in cold water to remove some starch & dried really well before cooking in 375° oil ~ no need to double fry when it's a small amount and the potatoes are room temp & dry.

I cooked the shrimps in the oil at about 335° and then kept them warm in the toaster oven while the potatoes were frying.

So uhhh...how many shrimps became test samples before the real meal?

Seriously, looks lushious! (sp?)

Had two big bun cheeseburgers with chili sauce Tina brought me from a diner in PA on her shopping travels.

Breakfast was a egg and cheese with soft rubber snappy bacon. Love it that way. I chewed very very slowly and carefully.

Dessert tonight was candy because I was watching the food stories on how candies were made.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 Beefandbrewstew

as far as I got. No potatoes.

Wow!.... That'll put meat on yer ribs.
So great looking.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
So uhhh...how many shrimps became test samples before the real meal?

Seriously, looks lushious! (sp?)

Had two big bun cheeseburgers with chili sauce Tina brought me from a diner in PA on her shopping travels.

Breakfast was a egg and cheese with soft rubber snappy bacon. Love it that way. I chewed very very slowly and carefully.

Dessert tonight was candy because I was watching the food stories on how candies were made.

Actually, I was more excited about getting the potatoes in to fry....I thought about making potato chips from really thin slices but opted for the "haystack" type crispy sticks instead. They really were nice and crunchy.

Sounds like your mouth is healing nicely - just don't overdo and mess it up so you're in pain for another day or two. How nice of Tina to bring you special treats!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Love your shrimps Beth..  and sauce.. that was smart to combine mayo, mustard and sweet chili sauce.. I would do it without capers  Laughing 

my pot roast.. with rice.. I thought about boiling some pasta like Barbara had.. but I was too lazy to turn on my oven again, I have some leftover rice..

my DH's supper

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 62-1

today I cooked fish belly for me.. salmon fish belly.. (most Asian stores here sell fish belly )..  Dirk said.. no I'm good.. you go ahead eat it all  Laughing  mmh.. lucky me  DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 1838020472 .. fish belly...my most favorite part of the fish.. I fried it with a bit oil, then added some chili sauce, sweet soy sauce and a bit of lemon juice, then I baked it for 10 minutes, just to make sure they are cooked properly.. oh so good
 DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 3593629538 

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 60-2

Bugster2

Bugster2

We did something unusual for dinner - we went out. My dh's birthday was the 18th and my houseguest's is the 22nd. We went to a restaurant that sits high up on top of a hill with a beautiful city lights view. They both had filet mignon with lobster tails. I just watched them eat. I didn't order anything because I can't eat more than a couple of bites so it would have been a total waste of money. I sampled my husband's steak and lobster, salad, soup and cheese bread. It was good. The filet melted in your mouth and the lobster was sweet and tender. I think it has been 20 years since we have had the two together. The waitress took pictures of us with my guest's cell phone. I took one look and wanted to put a paper bag over my head and hide in a hole. I didn't realize I looked that bad. My houseguest said I looked good. If that was good then I can't imagine what was bad. Gad! I won't allow my picture to be taken again.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, the 18th was your DH's birthday....

Popular birthday day, I guess.

It was also my oldest brother's birthday and....

ALSO my man Jacques' birthday. He turned 78 on the 18th ~ just a bit of silly trivia to stick in your head! lol

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Love your shrimps Beth..  and sauce.. that was smart to combine mayo, mustard and sweet chili sauce.. I would do it without capers  Laughing 

my pot roast.. with rice.. I thought about boiling some pasta like Barbara had.. but I was too lazy to turn on my oven again, I have some leftover rice..

my DH's supper

today I cooked fish belly for me.. salmon fish belly.. (most Asian stores here sell fish belly )..  Dirk said.. no I'm good.. you go ahead eat it all  Laughing  mmh.. lucky me  DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 1838020472 .. fish belly...my most favorite part of the fish.. I fried it with a bit oil, then added some chili sauce, sweet soy sauce and a bit of lemon juice, then I baked it for 10 minutes, just to make sure they are cooked properly.. oh so good

The sauce was good, Imelda, and I only added the capers because I like that little bit of "sour" from the brine. But the basics of the sauce were the mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce ~ easy base to start with and then go from there.

Your pot roast turned out super! I can bet DH was a very happy man. And you got one of your favorites so you were both very happy, can't get better than that!

Question for you: do you make up the fried shallots every meal or do you make up a big batch to use during the week/month? If you make them up ahead, how do you store them ~ in the refrigerator or just at room temperature?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man....I AM AN IDIOT !!!!!

Boy, don't you just hate it when you do something really stupid and have no one to blame but yourself?

Yesterday afternoon I had a beautiful butternut squash I decided to roast so I could make it into about 4 small casseroles to put in the freezer. I just love that squash. And the one I had was nice and ripe, very dark orange and thick with that sweet flesh.

I just remembered it.

From yesterday.

I checked it for doneness and it was just right ~ so I turned off the oven, thinking I'd take it out after it finished steaming and cooling down just a bit.

Dummy.

Oh well, my trash bin will smell lovely. Crap.

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol me...I bought a large bunch of squash.acorn,butternut,pumpkin,spag squash ,,a couple others.Put them in a nice large bowl as a centerpiece.So decided to cook them.All of them rotten.. Well they looked good for a while.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just hate to waste stuff.  And I especially hate to waste something that I REALLY like to eat.

But I know what you mean about something spoiling that you think looks good as a decoration.  I'm going to go right now and put my oranges into the refrigerator.  They look pretty in the basket but will be better off in the chill chest!

WOW! I got them into the refrigerator just in time. One was already soft and starting to mold...and they've only been in the bowl 2 days. The man who cuts my lawn dropped them off ~ I think he has a few trees and shares the bounty with his customers for the holiday....and they are super sweet!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Speaking of food as decorations - I once bought this beautiful bunch of red chile peppers from New Mexico. I had them hanging on my wall in my kitchen. Until, that is, it hatched. I had moths all over the kitchen. For a while I couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Too bad.
I also had a rope of whole garlic hanging on the wall, that is until I started to smell a funk. A really bad, overpowering garlic smell. I couldn't get it out of the house fast enough. It almost made me gag.
Yeah. Food is risky business if used for decorating. Especially pumpkins. EEEWWW! Black whiskers and mush.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Love your shrimps Beth..  and sauce.. that was smart to combine mayo, mustard and sweet chili sauce.. I would do it without capers  Laughing 

my DH's supper

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 62-1

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 60-2

Imelda, your meals surely look great.
You make me laugh when you say Fish Belly. So what does hubs get?,....Fish Tail??
I like to eat the tails nice and crispy fried with just a dusting of flower. Fresh sardines.
Shmelts too! We will have them for Christmas eve when we have a fish feast.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We did something unusual for dinner - we went out. My dh's birthday was the 18th and my houseguest's is the 22nd. We went to a restaurant that sits high up on top of a hill with a beautiful city lights view. They both had filet mignon with lobster tails. I just watched them eat. I didn't order anything because I can't eat more than a couple of bites so it would have been a total waste of money. I sampled my husband's steak and lobster, salad, soup and cheese bread. It was good. The filet melted in your mouth and the lobster was sweet and tender. I think it has been 20 years since we have had the two together. The waitress took pictures of us with my guest's cell phone. I took one look and wanted to put a paper bag over my head and hide in a hole. I didn't realize I looked that bad. My houseguest said I looked good. If that was good then I can't imagine what was bad. Gad! I won't allow my picture to be taken again.

Oh! Happy birthday to DH from Tina and Jimmy from New Jersey.

When we go out to eat...and Tina orders, I tell the waitress / waiter / to bring the styrofoam takeout container (s), because I know she will only eat a couple tbs. of food. She cannot eat because it all backs up in her stomach, and won't allow her to swallow even a sip of liquid.
I feel so bad for her. Yet, on the other hand, she could eat sweets with no problem. All the result of Bariatric Surgery 13 years ago. It saved her life healthwise, but she has great difficulty eating all the foods she previously liked.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, man....I AM AN IDIOT !!!!!

Boy, don't you just hate it when you do something really stupid and have no one to blame but yourself?

Yesterday afternoon I had a beautiful butternut squash I decided to roast so I could make it into about 4 small casseroles to put in the freezer.  I just love that squash.  And the one I had was nice and ripe, very dark orange and thick with that sweet flesh.

I just remembered it.

From yesterday.

I checked it for doneness and it was just right ~ so I turned off the oven, thinking I'd take it out after it finished steaming and cooling down just a bit.

Dummy.

Oh well, my trash bin will smell lovely.  Crap.

Awww! Poor Beth! Beth Forgeth?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The kitchen is bustling with vibrant energy.
The mommy and daughter are baking cookies. Tina is making spritze cookies with her new Woulfgang Puck hand cookie press.

She is done now, and tired out.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Jimmy, Thank you for the happy B'day greetings. My DH got one of those musical cards. It burped the Happy Birthday song. Lord! Who comes up with these ideas? I had to laugh though.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Jimmy, Thank you for the happy B'day greetings. My DH got one of those musical cards. It burped the Happy Birthday song. Lord! Who comes up with these ideas? I had to laugh though.

Just yesterday, I was ruffling through the filing cabinet bottom drawer which has all the ( I'll file it later stuff ), and I flipped open a card of Larry the Cable Guy, and the sound said,"Git er done!"

It scared the livin crap out of me!
I guess the battery was still OK.

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 8 6baa9f64a98ebfa22d81d0ca27659f9b

leftovers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum