Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"

+4
Crybaby
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Today was a lazy day. My head hurts from I guess the tooth extraction. Plus my head feels like a sponge, and the sinuses are blocked. Grrrrr.

Tina cooked a small pot of tomato sauce, with pork neck bones and meatballs.
I just tried a meatball, and she did a great job. Can't eat with this darn headache, so I guess tomorrow or maybe way later tonight. Have to play it by ear. LOL

I'd stay home with a nice pot of sauce & meatballs, too. You just came up with that headache as a convenient excuse, just like I would! But that's OK, you don't have to fess up.

hope you feel like eating soon....sounds good to me~

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 Sauteed-Shrimp

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 2876911673 I did plan on shrimp in it.But they looked so good I ate them  Embarassed right from the pan..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Yeah! I wouldn't play hookie when it comes to a pub with great food. hahahaha

They have great corned beef sandwiches there.

Today is just not a great day to celebrate for me anyway.

Beth and Barb, your meals look great. The cod is just the way I like it, and my mom always made the cod like that.
Haddock too. They are my favorite fish.

Barb, the sausage and rice is looking mighty good.
I love sausage like that. Tina just bought a package of those little sausage miniature links for New Years Eve.
It seems there are like never ending little sausages in that package. I'm gonna make some with the rice like you did there. Ummmm!!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 Sauteed-Shrimp

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 2876911673 I did plan on shrimp in it.But they looked so good I ate them  Embarassed right from the pan..

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 2876911673   DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 2876911673 DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 3593629538 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hahahaha...well, it's nice to know our idea of jambalaya is really quite similar!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
The cod is just the way I like it, and my mom always made the cod like that.

I think I've finally figured out how to get the very light crust I like to protect the delicate, moist fish and how not to cook too hot so the corn flour gets a burned flavor.

The French fries are just a little added bonus, I figure if I'm going to have hot oil I might as well make something I really like....now, the potatoes have to be cooked a lot hotter than the fish or they come out soggy....ewwww. I only like 'em fresh & crisp.

Only problem is I had to cook in the house - it has been drizzling on & off all day, a few showers earlier.....enough I didn't want to take the chance of having hot oil on the side burner of the grill outside. So, I've got the patio doors open and screens closed with all the fans on high so the smell of deep fat frying gets out of the house. Nothing I like less than waking up at 2:00 a.m. and smelling fish fry! Yuck.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
The cod is just the way I like it, and my mom always made the cod like that.

I think I've finally figured out how to get the very light crust I like to protect the delicate, moist fish and how not to cook too hot so the corn flour gets a burned flavor.

The French fries are just a little added bonus, I figure if I'm going to have hot oil I might as well make something I really like....now, the potatoes have to be cooked a lot hotter than the fish or they come out soggy....ewwww.  I only like 'em fresh & crisp.

Only problem is I had to cook in the house - it has been drizzling on & off all day, a few showers earlier.....enough I didn't want to take the chance of having hot oil on the side burner of the grill outside.  So, I've got the patio doors open and screens closed with all the fans on high so the smell of deep fat frying gets out of the house.  Nothing I like less than waking up at 2:00 a.m. and smelling fish fry!  Yuck.

I don't like the breading burnt either Beth!
I do the flour egg and then bread or cracker crumbs, but I always add corn meal to the crumbs. It adds crunch and a slight sweetness taste.
I fry at 320º in the electric skillet. Ummm! Getting hungry just thinking of it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

corn meal is too heavy for my liking...that's why I was so happy to find Bob's Red Mill corn FLOUR...it's much finer ground and is what they use to coat the fried clams I loved in southern Maine. I just use a bit of buttermilk (just a splash) to get enough corn flour to coat the dry fish filets. Egg isn't a favorite of mine because it tastes gummy to me.

But you cook your fish as you like ~ you won't get any complaints from me!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:corn meal is too heavy for my liking...that's why I was so happy to find Bob's Red Mill corn FLOUR...it's much finer ground and is what they use to coat the fried clams I loved in southern Maine.  I just use a bit of buttermilk (just a splash) to get enough corn flour to coat the dry fish filets.  Egg isn't a favorite of mine because it tastes gummy to me.  

But you cook your fish as you like ~ you won't get any complaints from me!

Never used or had corn Flour! Hmm!
Have to give it a try.
DD said to use buttermilk for breading. Have to try that too.
She also said, that just slather ( A Beth Cooking Term ) some mayo and then directly into the flour or crumbs. I have to try that one too!
It sounds logical!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, I use Hellmann's as a slather on fish when I'm using panko to pan fry. (NOT to be confused with Miracle Whip, here, for sure!) It just holds the crumbs on and adds a bit of moisture (you let it sit for about 10 minutes so the panko absorbs the moisture of the mayonnaise) so the panko stays stuck and doesn't fall off in the pan. The mayo doesn't give any flavor - just a way to have the panko stay stuck. Good stuff.

Have Tina look for the Bob's Red Mill corn flour....it's a fantastic light coating without that gritty feeling. It doesn't seem to absorb too much moisture and fat, never gets gummy like flour can....just a nice crunch.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yeah, I use Hellmann's as a slather on fish when I'm using panko to pan fry.  (NOT to be confused with Miracle Whip, here, for sure!)  It just holds the crumbs on and adds a bit of moisture (you let it sit for about 10 minutes so the panko absorbs the moisture of the mayonnaise) so the panko stays stuck and doesn't fall off in the pan.  The mayo doesn't give any flavor - just a way to have the panko stay stuck.  Good stuff.  

Have Tina look for the Bob's Red Mill corn flour....it's a fantastic light coating without that gritty feeling.  It doesn't seem to absorb too much moisture and fat, never gets gummy like flour can....just a nice crunch.

Thanks for the tip.
We have Bobs Red Mill here!.. I will have to ask Tina to get some.

Boy! Is it quiet here! They are all in Morristown, NJ.
George Washington is probably flipping around in his grave.
That town had a lot to do with 1776 and the revolutionary war.
GW was headquartered there!

NormM

NormM

Ever heard of Jambalaya with pasta? It was on the menu at Ruby Tuesday's yesterday. I didn't have it because it didn't come with the salad bar and that's the best part of that restaurant.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Ever heard of Jambalaya with pasta?  It was on the menu at Ruby Tuesday's yesterday.  I didn't have it because it didn't come with the salad bar and that's the best part of that restaurant.

No!.... usually rice yes?

Maybe a half handful of small shells.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My jambalaya is a spicy tomato sauce, peppers, onions, chicken, smoked sausage & shrimp that I serve over white rice....well, sometimes the Uncle Ben's brown rice...

but I suppose it would work over a pasta. It would be different, that's for sure.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My jambalaya is a spicy tomato sauce, peppers, onions, chicken, smoked sausage & shrimp that I serve over white rice....well, sometimes the Uncle Ben's brown rice...

but I suppose it would work over a pasta.  It would be different, that's for sure.

Yeah!...maybe like with orzo.

Tina just got in from the Irish pub where they had GD's b-day meal.
She had Shepherds pie, and she said it was horrible.
They use ketchup instead of gravy.

NormM

NormM

I have never heard of it with pasta either. My ex-not Charlie's mom- only had a few dishes that she could cook and jambalaya was one she thought she could cook. It was not good.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Twisted Evil 
NormM wrote:I have never heard of it with pasta either. My ex-not Charlie's mom- only had a few dishes that she could cook and jambalaya was one she thought she could cook. It was not good.

I could say one of the great things I learned from you Norm.
Washing the rice three times so it doesn't come out sticky and gluey.

NormM

NormM

It's funny how some things can make a difference and you might never know it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, isn't that the truth!

My jambalaya is what I refer to as "faux" jambalaya because I've never had the real thing, just a lot of experimentation with recipes I've found until I found a combination we like. A true New Orleans resident would probably just say, "Ewwww", if offered a taste ~ but, like I said, it's a combination of flavors we enjoy.

NormM

NormM

Personally, I'd rather go to the trouble of making gumbo anyway. Probably left over from the dislike of my ex's recipe.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:We have Bobs Red Mill here!.. I will have to ask Tina to get some.

Most people down here use Zatarain's Fish Fri -- it's just really enriched corn flour. You don't even need to put anything on the fish -- just rinse it and then dip it in Fish Fri. They have seasoned types, too. It's really good on catfish or catfish "fingers" (small pieces). Good on any fried seafood, especially oysters.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Zatarain's Fish Fri - me too.I always have some.good stuff.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Dirk treated them with his BBQ steaks..

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 19-3

bethk

bethk
Admin

and YOU got creative with the side dish.....so clever to make heart shape to share the love!

Very nice.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I'm going to name this one my REALLY faux Jambalaya.....gotta say, not having rice is just not right! lol

It tasted OK, although I didn't make a trip to get shrimp, but it's too loose and now I have to spot my shirt because I have splatters all over it....hmmmm, maybe it wasn't all that bad if I slurped it! And if you don't have any "real" bread, loaf bread buttered on both sides and grilled will do just fine. Nice crunch to help as a "pusher".

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 11 123013

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum