Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"

+4
Crybaby
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Barbara101

Barbara101

not me with the leg. Funny I do like thigh of chicken & the wing.

I think I will smoke some bacon wrapped thighs or either grill some burgers this week.It is very warm for Dec.It does not get that cold here that I wouldn't go out & grill but now I don't have to wear shoes or a sweatshirt lol

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:My dad always loved the leg. Mom would fix his dish and always make sure that he had the leg.
He would eat that leg like a King. LOL...
I like all turkey but I really prefer dark meat. But my least favorite is the drumstick -- I don't like those little pin bones in it. Besides, I always find the thigh a bit moister than the leg. I guess I like the texture better.

We don't get fast food very often but when we do get fried chicken, I prefer the thigh to the breast. Again, it's just moister to me.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Tina went to the deli

you know we don't have deli.We don't have any ethnic grocery stores.We have a store here & there that sells fresh seafood??? Then it shuts down. We have bakery's or bagels.  that open up, then close up.Some within weeks.

No butcher shop......No spice store.oh wait there is one downtown for the wall to wall tourists.
If you want fresh fish you have to go over to the Creek & get it off the shrimp boats.

Downtown has a farmers market.NO PARKING!!!!!! Lots of traffic.I wouldn't go.

I let my card run out at costco$70 to renew makes me mad.It is almost 1hr away anyway.

so I do without deli meats & fresh great breads.man that is what I miss about living in Baltimore.Fresh made Italian pastas & breads & walking in that market to just stand there & smell it.lol and of course being a big jewish community loads & loads of great delis.

This is no small backwoods town either.But sorely lacking in what I would like.
It's like that here too Barb. Not being near any city per say, the only deli would be like at the A&P or Weis or ShopRite Supermarkets.
No Trader Joes. The only Asian market is 45 minutes east of here.
In town, if you want antiques or a consignment shop, or a vacuum cleaner repair shop...we got them. Need your nails done? 4 shops in 1/4 mile.
Doesn't do DD any good either because she has to trek to her job at the spa 23 miles north.

Brother ( rest his soul ) lived near Baltimore, in Catonsville actually.
Now when we were there, he would run downtown Baltimore and come back with breads and pastries and seafood. You name it, and they had it.
Bro was in marketing and worked for Fairlanes Bowling centers managing 12 Locations. He was always in contact with new stuff that was in the food industry. Remember those Boboli Pizza like breads that you would add your own toppings etc? Well.... He was bringing them home even way before they went on the market.
Another thing was, the breakfast taco's. He was bringing them and making them way before they had them at fast food places.
That reminds me! I havn/t made them in ages. I love those things.

Tubs of fresh caught crabs and lobsters and clams were my favorite!
When he had a seafood feast, he HAD A SEAFOOD FEAST! Wow!
bounce 

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

we live in a small town too.. we have 3 supermarkets... Walmart Supercenter, Safeway's and a hometown proud IGA ( owned by our mayor ).. they have small delis in the stores.. we can't find everything in them.. we have to drive at least 30 miles to a bigger city with more choices to buy.. Asian store is 45 miles away..  

today my kitchen was screaming Asian.. I would not say Chinese because this dish is very popular and common in Indonesia too, a daily meal for some people there.. just like rice... so many ways to cook it, depends on the regions or islands... I made dumplings with ground pork, chicken and shrimps, added chopped green onion, a bit of cornstarch, salt and black pepper.. for the noodles.. I used homemade chicken broth, added a bit of ginger and fish sauce.. I added napa cabbage for the green and topped with fried garlic

both of us ate a big bowl of it.. Laughing 

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 4-3

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 2-2

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 3-3

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 1a0ca90ecda7c587b04d9df4fb315392

ok I posted my burger in the wrong place DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 2855670339 

Barbara101

Barbara101

Looks wonderful Imelda..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 1a0ca90ecda7c587b04d9df4fb315392

ok I posted my burger in the wrong place DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 2855670339 
That's good to do Barb. That way, I could look at it in two different threads.
It surely looks ready to bite. Yeah! See!...The burger is saying..."Bite Me".

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, I've made those dumplings/filled wontons before.....took me FOREVER as I'm not use to filling, holding, crimping, sealing, etc. Yours are beautiful. I would have had a big bowl, too!

NICE burger, Barb....although I might have switched the blue cheese for carmalized onions....but Dane would have loved it just the way you made it ~ a bleu burger is one of his favorites.

He wanted smoked chicken tonight so we went to a local chain (I think) called Woody's BBQ. We ended up splitting a rib/chicken combo and it was just right. He had 1/4 (white meat) chicken that was smoked just as he wanted with a bit of Southern sweet sauce lightly brushed on - he got the fries and garlic toast. I had a small 1/2 slab of baby backs, falling off the bone and not highly smoked nor sauced, very nice. I had a side of turnip greens and they were excellent, chunks of smoked hock meat and onion added and very flavorful, especially with a sprinkling of the vinegar/hot pepper sauce.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wish I had a burger instead of the Strip steaks I made! I think a burger has more flavor.

Had leftover cauliflower too, and some stuffing.
Not bad for a Tuesday!
Tina is out Christmas Gift Shopping with her friend.
She is out all day! On her way home now. She will hit the hay early tonight.

Barbara101

Barbara101

blue cheese... gosh I have blue cheese. However that is Boursin lol

I also grilled more burgers just barely done.So I can use my Blue next time..cheers 

so now I want smoked ribs......ha.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:we live in a small town too.. we have 3 supermarkets... Walmart Supercenter, Safeway's and a hometown proud IGA ( owned by our mayor ).. they have small delis in the stores.. we can't find everything in them.. we have to drive at least 30 miles to a bigger city with more choices to buy.. Asian store is 45 miles away..  

today my kitchen was screaming Asian.. I would not say Chinese because this dish is very popular and common in Indonesia too, a daily meal for some people there.. just like rice... so many ways to cook it, depends on the regions or islands... I made dumplings with ground pork, chicken and shrimps, added chopped green onion, a bit of cornstarch, salt and black pepper.. for the noodles.. I used homemade chicken broth, added a bit of ginger and fish sauce.. I added napa cabbage for the green and topped with fried garlic

both of us ate a big bowl of it.. Laughing 

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 4-3

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 2-2

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 3-3
They look so good.
Tina buys them frozen, and I cook them a special way. In water, but when it comes to a boil, add more water so the boiling stops. Do this three times.
It said to do that on the bag instructions.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:today my kitchen was screaming Asian.. I would not say Chinese because this dish is very popular and common in Indonesia too, a daily meal for some people there.. just like rice... so many ways to cook it, depends on the regions or islands... I made dumplings with ground pork, chicken and shrimps, added chopped green onion, a bit of cornstarch, salt and black pepper.. for the noodles.. I used homemade chicken broth, added a bit of ginger and fish sauce.. I added napa cabbage for the green and topped with fried garlic

both of us ate a big bowl of it..
My God, Imelda -- I'd have had a giant bowl of that. Not only does it look delicious, but gorgeous, too. Looks like a photo from Bon Appetit! Do you make your own dumpling dough for that? I always use won ton skins but yours look homemade -- I'll bet you can whip them out really fast, too!

Thanks so much for the post. If only I could have a taste (nah, a REALLY big bowl). The fried garlic on top looks super, too.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We are going out to eat yet again tonight. We've been out since noon getting our Florida resident information and auto registration taken care of....it might be a split value meal at McDonald's considering how much money we dropped between the auto insurance bill and registration and drivers' licenses, but, hey, it's only money.

I sure hope the checks clear OK.....

NormM

NormM

When I moved, the Kansas Drivers Bureau was changing computer systems and the wait was up to 6 or 7 hours. Fortunately, you could sign in with your phone number then go about your day and they would call you when the wait time for you got short.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 1471298_553971874696275_922475150_n

Ok I had to try it.I saw purple potatoes. Got 2.I do not like blue food or purple food.And these do taste like a mashed up they are just to weird for me lol

grilled chicken breast..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 1471298_553971874696275_922475150_n

Ok I had to try it.I saw purple potatoes. Got 2.I do not like blue food or purple food.And these do taste like a mashed up they are just to weird for me lol

grilled chicken breast..
Reminds me of the purple people eater song!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina said,"We are eating western style tonight!"

She picked up really crispy crunchy chicken at KFC.
I just ate the crispy crunch off my two pieces.

Pots and pans on the table. ( Western Style )

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 Yjqc

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 V764

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had grilled pork tenderloin, on which Brian used Mad Hunkey rub prior to grilling. We had dirty rice and -- drum roll! -- fresh brussel sprouts, which I'd never had before (the fresh kind).

As you might remember, I eat just about any vegetable, whether or not I'm crazy about it. That includes brussel sprouts. Well, these were the fresh ones Brian picked up for Thanksgiving. Since it was just the two of us for the holiday, we passed up making them (and candied yams) for TG since we had so much to eat.

Last night, I cleaned them, cut them off the stem and then halved them. I put them in a bowl (there was about 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. of them), added two large, sliced shallots, and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. To that I added fresh ground black pepper and some salt. Then I put them on a foil-covered baking sheet, and turned all of the brussel sprouts cut side down, making sure I put most of the shallots and on top. I chopped up four slices of bacon and sprinkled that on top. Cooked them at 425 for about 25 minutes -- I didn't stir them, as I wanted most of them to get really brown on the cut side so Brian would maybe try them.

They smelled really good while cooking -- even Brian admitted that -- and looked divine when done -- nice and brown on the cut side. I served him a big serving spoon full on his plate, thinking I'd be eating those later along with the ones I served myself. He tasted them (I was still serving myself) and said, "Interesting," which, of course, is usually synonomous with "I hate this dish." I tasted them from the stove and I loved them. By the time I sat down, he was saying nice things about them. I smiled and he said, "Look at my plate, Mi. I haven't even touched the pork yet." Bottom line: He LOVED them and finished the entire big portion I'd given him. I loved them, too, and am just thrilled that I have another vegetable Brian will eat. We were talking about how we wouldn't make them in the summer due to the high oven heat but then we both grilled and figured we'd do them on the grill next time, where they'd probably taste even better.

After we were in bed last night, Brian cracked me up when he said, "I can't believe I ate brussel sprouts and loved them!" A good ending to the story...Very Happy 

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:We are going out to eat yet again tonight. We've been out since noon getting our Florida resident information and auto registration taken care of....it might be a split value meal at McDonald's considering how much money we dropped between the auto insurance bill and registration and drivers' licenses, but, hey, it's only money.
I know this is Off Topic, Beth, but I was curious if the auto insurance in Florida was a lot more than what it was where you were living. It's very expensive down here but that's because everyone drives very aggressively, it's the sue capital of the world, and every nutcase on the road is talking on the phone or, even worse, texting (they're always looking down and going out of their lanes so it's not difficult to tell). Brian and I are lucky, as we're over 50 and haven't had any accidents in more than 15 years, so ours is not too bad. But it's really expensive for most people and I was curious.

Sorry if this OT message annoyed anyone...Embarassed 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:I know this is Off Topic, Beth, but I was curious if the auto insurance in Florida was a lot more than what it was where you were living.  It's very expensive down here but that's because everyone drives very aggressively, it's the sue capital of the world, and every nutcase on the road is talking on the phone or, even worse, texting (they're always looking down and going out of their lanes so it's not difficult to tell).  Brian and I are lucky, as we're over 50 and haven't had any accidents in more than 15 years, so ours is not too bad.  But it's really expensive for most people and I was curious.  

Sorry if this OT message annoyed anyone...Embarassed 

Actually, very close to an even switch from my old Nationwide policy to the Florida Travelers' one. Since 90% or more of our driving will be in the Villages we think the policies are lower. The speed limits are 20 mph, 25 mph, 30 mph, 35 mph and a whopping 45 mph on the 6 lane St. Rt. 27/441 or St. Rt. 466 crossing through the area.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:We had grilled pork tenderloin, on which Brian used Mad Hunkey rub prior to grilling.  We had dirty rice and -- drum roll! -- fresh brussel sprouts, which I'd never had before (the fresh kind).  

As you might remember, I eat just about any vegetable, whether or not I'm crazy about it.  That includes brussel sprouts.  Well, these were the fresh ones Brian picked up for Thanksgiving.  Since it was just the two of us for the holiday, we passed up making them (and candied yams) for TG since we had so much to eat.

Last night, I cleaned them, cut them off the stem and then halved them.  I put them in a bowl (there was about 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. of them), added two large, sliced shallots, and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  To that I added fresh ground black pepper and some salt.  Then I put them on a foil-covered baking sheet, and turned all of the brussel sprouts cut side down, making sure I put most of the shallots and on top.  I chopped up four slices of bacon and sprinkled that on top.  Cooked them at 425 for about 25 minutes -- I didn't stir them, as I wanted most of them to get really brown on the cut side so Brian would maybe try them.  

They smelled really good while cooking -- even Brian admitted that -- and looked divine when done -- nice and brown on the cut side.  I served him a big serving spoon full on his plate, thinking I'd be eating those later along with the ones I served myself.  He tasted them (I was still serving myself) and said, "Interesting," which, of course, is usually synonomous with "I hate this dish."  I tasted them from the stove and I loved them.  By the time I sat down, he was saying nice things about them.  I smiled and he said, "Look at my plate, Mi.  I haven't even touched the pork yet."  Bottom line:  He LOVED them and finished the entire big portion I'd given him.  I loved them, too, and am just thrilled that I have another vegetable Brian will eat.  We were talking about how we wouldn't make them in the summer due to the high oven heat but then we both grilled and figured we'd do them on the grill next time, where they'd probably taste even better.  

After we were in bed last night, Brian cracked me up when he said, "I can't believe I ate brussel sprouts and loved them!"  A good ending to the story...Very Happy 
Crybaby - just put in a nonstick foil pack, same way, on the grill. After about 10 minutes open up and just let them caramelize over low heat. Works just fine.

Next vegetable to try for Brian is roasted carrots, parsnips & onions. Just evoo, s&p and baked about 425° for 20 minutes, tossed once to get golden or even a bit charred. Super yummy. Honest. Dane loves 'em and also the roasted cauliflower, which I add red pepper flakes to ~ they come out "nutty" tasting as the flowerettes open up and get browned.

bethk

bethk
Admin

He said he wanted grilled chicken....

so ~ grilled chicken it was. I thawed & reheated some mashed potatoes and sauted some onion & zucchini.

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 120513

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 235e3c3f727687c8f83f9bea2cb20ee0

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb, when you make those do you grill the chicken so the skin gets crisp before you wrap in bacon and crisp that?

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" - Page 2 1006347_10200954016626817_400589907_n

I smoked these. Then browned them on the grill.I say grilled but more like baked lol.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum