Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure!

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:
JanaAZ wrote:July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Img_2010

I remember Steve doing some building at your house......is he putting in a drive-up window next to the garage for you?  Hahahahahaha!  These look fantastic!

Never thought of that. Maybe we should do that

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I thought I posted this a couple of hours ago, guess I didn't. I went to our local farmers' market yesterday, bought some peppers, onion, zucchini, portobello mushrooms and asparagus...............and grilled all of them today to make a grilled vegetable salad. Niece is here from Ottawa to see her mom, my sister, and she loves them. It was a lot of vegetables, but they turned out really good!

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was hot today ~ with humidity past 100%......at least I figure that's where it goes when it rains on a hot day.

It was just too hot to cook outside so I made an oven meal instead ~ sounds stupid but the a/c is just fine IN the house.

I had some Brussels sprouts so I thought pork and squash was a good pairing with them.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 07_10_14

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made Chinese. A broccoli, chicken, cashew stir-fry with fried rice.

I bought a new laptop from Dell. I went to Best Buys Geek Squad to have them look at my laptop. The trip was most unsatisfactory. He couldn't tell me what was wrong and tried to sell me a hard drive. I would have to spend $200 with no guarantee that they could fix it. It still runs but shuts down when I close the lid and is slooowww. I get script errors and corrupt file messages and once a blue window from Microsoft telling me something went wrong and it has to shut down. I tried to reset the unit to an earlier date but the only date it would allow wasn't old enough. Since the laptop is 5 years old, I decided to buy a new one. The one I wanted wasn't cheap but it also wasn't high end either. I wanted a 17" screen, an i5 processor and a solid state drive. I couldn't get as much RAM as I wanted. I got 8GB I would have liked more.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Do you have a virus protection on the old computer?
I have PC Matic on Tinas 17" dell. It runs faster now.

great you have i5 processor..... that is fast. I have i3 and christine has i3 also.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes I have antivirus. It is called AVG.

The i3 is what I have now and it isn't a solid state drive. It is slow booting up and my software programs are slow to open. I hope this will be an improvement.

I did a CHAt with Dell before the purchase. I asked if I wanted help setting up the unit, could I purchase their help at a later time. I got the runaround. They want the sale and want to sell you everything else. Best Buy did the same thing. Drives me crazy.
I was lucky. My sister has an American Express card. A Platinum card. She got an offer through AE for a $200 discount if they purchased Dell products. We used it. Still, it wasn't cheap. $500 but it would have cost a lot more. I could have bought a bargain basement PC but it wouldn't have what I needed to run some of my software. This one has an i5 processor, a solid state harddrive, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.
What I need to do after I get the new pc and have it up and running, is to clean out this pc of all software and files. My husband will use it on occasion if it keeps running. I would actually like to do is a complete restoration back to day one.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking tonight. Neighbor Jim wants us to go to a steakhouse with him tonight.

Oddly, neither of us put up a fight at the idea! LOL

Hey, Debbie! What did you find out about your foot?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=18]Supper doesn't seem too promising. Ms. Tina the Bloat, is suffering with stomach issues. She did take out two hot dogs for me though.
I had two plain small doughnuts with my coffee for brunch.
We shall see <0>^<0>

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I saw a lasagna in the garage freezer and that's what we had for supper.  It was a little 'juicy' ~ to say the least.  Good flavor, just didn't let it sit long enough I guess.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 07_09_13

Lasagna is on my mind since a long while ago, I'm gonna bake it soon, I'm going to use Italian sausage

Cookin Lore

My niece is here visiting her mom (my sis) and she told me that I make "The world's best
chicken"..............so, guess what I made today? Took a pan of chicken thighs to their house, kept two for myself and that's what for supper. My cooking for my sister is going in a new direction.

I did a lot of cooking the last few months, and thought that now that she's gone into hospice I would not be able to do that any more..... Wrong, I can bring food in for her any time, so that's what I will do, bring her things that I know she likes and can eat easily.

bethk likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Last Monday we invited our new priest over for dinner, I think D told him about my cooking ( like.. talk ..about it.. a lot..  Shocked  ) so he wanted to came to try it out.. so OK, challenge accepted Smile  

It was last minute dinner, so I rummaged my freezer, found some salmon steaks and boneless chicken thighs, I made some salmon in curry sauce, my signature fried noodles, I heated up some eggrolls I found in my freezer and since he is from Ecuador, I baked some yuca de pan ( tapioca cheese buns ), I could tell that he enjoyed my foods, I gave some for him to take home, I gave him curry chicken and Cilantro lime rice. He talked about it a lot with D, and yesterday when I saw him, he said that he likes my foods very much, a bit spicy but so good

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Dscn7311
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Dscn7312
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Dscn7313

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Dscn7315
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Dscn7314

Yuca de pa ( cheese tapioca buns)

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Dscn7316

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 10738810

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mushroom Dip....
Tina loves this. No problem digesting this for her...
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Mushro10

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Mushro11

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:[b][color=#009900]Last Monday we invited our new priest over for dinner, I think D told him about my cooking ( like.. talk ..about it.. a lot..  Shocked  ) so he wanted to came to try it out.. so OK, challenge accepted Smile  

It was last minute dinner, so I rummaged my freezer, found some salmon steaks and boneless chicken thighs, I made some salmon in curry sauce, my signature fried noodles, I heated up some eggrolls I found in my freezer and since he is from Ecuador, I baked some yuca de pan ( tapioca cheese buns ), I could tell that he enjoyed my foods, I gave some for him to take home, I gave him curry chicken and Cilantro lime rice. He talked about it a lot with D, and yesterday when I saw him, he said that he likes my foods very much, a bit spicy but so good

It's always nice when someone brags about your cooking ability. I can only imagine how stuffed your Priest was after getting up from your table! Wonderful meal!

I could make a meal of just your fried noodles!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a recipe for portobella mushroom dip. I made it once. It was good for what it was but I am not really a fan of mushrooms.

It is 104 today. Burgers on the grill and then a dip in the pool.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:My niece is here visiting her mom (my sis) and she told me that I make "The world's best
chicken"..............so, guess what I made today? Took a pan of chicken thighs to their house, kept two for myself and that's what for supper.  My cooking for my sister is going in a new direction.

I did a lot of cooking the last few months, and thought that now that she's gone into hospice I would not be able to do that any more..... Wrong, I can bring food in for her any time, so that's what I will do, bring her things that I know she likes and can eat easily.  

How wonderful you can still make her favorites! Nothing says lovin' like something from the oven!

Cookin Lore

I hope the Covid police don't come and raid my place today. LOL I invited uncle for dinner of some of my fishing sons' Lake Erie walleye tonight. It will be my first company dinner since I think February! Gonna make some Hasselback potatoes, local asparagus, and I think some cauliflower.

bethk

bethk
Admin

As long as you're both feeling good (no strange symptoms) you should both be fine. Sometimes it gets to me and I can hear Grandma say, "Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease..."

I'm sure a good dinner with great company is just what the doctor ordered.

(but just in case: turn off the lights and draw the blinds.....LOL)

Cookin Lore

Well, Uncle Ernie is 87, but in great shape. I'm on the 12th floor, no need to pull down the blinds! My sons and their friends went fishing and camping at uncle's place for 20 years, so paying him back with a fish dinner is the least I can do occasionally!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Don't answer the door after everyone has arrived. LOL

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was HOT today ~ mid 90's. Too hot to do much cooking.

So I planned a 15 - minute meal:

Panko breaded chicken cutlets, microwaved/baked potato (finished in the toaster oven after 3 min. in the microwave) and some of HIS favorite lima beans.

I had the chicken marinated in buttermilk & sambal garlic chili paste earlier in the day and then breaded them in the panko and let them sit for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator to set the crust. I had lightly pounded the cutlets so they would cook evenly and quickly.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 07_12_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina bought some great veal. Lean, and no grizzle. I ground it, and added ground pork so I could make a batch of "City Chicken."

Just breaded :
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 4 Img_1920

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, Jimmy, that's a 'Blast From the Past!'

I can remember, as a kid, mom buying City Chicken at the grocery store. I think it was the same mix of pork & veal that you're talking about. I think they must have used some sort of mold because it was always shaped in a perfect rectangle with a round 'stick'.

Odd, but that's all I remember ~ just the packaged (raw) meat department product. I don't remember anything about the taste. Must be because we didn't have it very often......back in the day of that sort of thing being a more expensive 'convenience' product.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, Jimmy, that's a 'Blast From the Past!'

I can remember, as a kid, mom buying City Chicken at the grocery store.  I think it was the same mix of pork & veal that you're talking about.  I think they must have used some sort of mold because it was always shaped in a perfect rectangle with a round 'stick'.

Odd, but that's all I remember ~ just the packaged (raw) meat department product.  I don't remember anything about the taste.  Must be because we didn't have it very often......back in the day of that sort of thing being a more expensive 'convenience' product.

That's why we make / made our own.
Actually, they were then made with a chunk of pork and veal, and then breaded and fried. The problem being, there was too many pieces with fat or even worse, grizzle. Yuck! So purveyors got the idea to grind everything.
Another factor was, Pork was rarely eaten in the summer. Usually November was the safe time to eat pork.

bethk likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

They have shut down California again.

Tonight will be tostadas.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:They have shut down California again.

Tonight will be tostadas.
OH NO!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum