Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure!

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Cookin Lore

Such a typical dinner for this German today. Turkey schnitzel, sauerkraut and baby potatoes done in the oven. Sauerkraut heated up in a frying pan with some bacon. Schnitzel breaded and pan fried. Yummy! But, I scored big time at my son's house. Went there to have a "picnic table beer" I don't go in the house. Some neighbours stopped by and they remembered that when I met them last fall he was going moose hunting, and I said I'd love to buy a roast....................So, they brought me a roast which I'll do soon when I can have someone here for dinner again! So, moose roast soon!

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's one I've not done, Lore. I'm sure you've cooked many. Enjoy!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:OK, so I don't think it was a 'keeper' but it wasn't bad ~ just needed to be tweeked to be more to our tastes.  We didn't care for the overpowering taste of smoked paprika....that needed to be toned down a bit.  Surprisingly, the vinegar wasn't too much even though the cooked pork marinated in it after being taken off the grill.  I think we might have liked cider vinegar better than white distilled vinegar.  The cayenne wasn't too hot, actually might have liked a little more.  I don't know what the purpose of the cornstarch was unless to keep the spice mix on the meat.

My simple steamed cabbage was a good combo with the pork ~ the sweetness of the cabbage paired nicely with the pork.  

I did notice a nice tenderness with the pork with the sugar/salt brine ~ that's something I'll do again for sure!

The packet potatoes were pretty tasty for a change of pace side dish.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 07_05_10
It surely looks good!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was peel and eat shrimp; with cocktail sauce.
Had that, plus a pastrami on a split top roll.
Now I'm ready for some rice crispy treats for desserts.
Tina wanted some pork fried rice fro Hong Kong Palace....NOPE! they were closed!

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:That's one I've not done, Lore.  I'm sure you've cooked many.  Enjoy!

If you mean the moose roast, no, I have actually never done one. I love venison, and have had bison and caribou, so I am sure I will like moose also. I think I had a taste of a moose steak many, many years ago. Looking forward to it, I will be researching recipes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I pulled the freezer drawer on the refrigerator open this morning, there, sitting right on the top of the heap was the package of USDA Prime Rib Eye Steaks ~ seemed like an omen..........

So, later in the morning, I mentioned to Dane what we were having. He asked, "Is it a special occasion?"

I laughed and said, "Yeah, the steaks were on top so that's what we're having!"

What the heck. It's July 6th and we're in the middle of this crappy Corona Virus Nightmare.

Reason enough........LOL

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

There have been many times in the last few years when my sis and I went out for lunch and would be asked "Is this a special occasion?" I usually answered with something like "Yup, it's Thursday, and we're alive.!" I am so glad that we had all those opportunities, for she can't go out any more. Fell in her house twice last week, fractured 4 ribs and there are cracks in other parts of her body. She is in hospice, and will not be coming home any more. So, take my advice live each day to the fullest while you can..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was as good as we both anticipated ~ I think I've got it down on how to fix these rib eyes for the two of us. Even though one steak is more than we would ideally eat, we somehow manage to finish it off.

After the steak is thawed I give it a very liberal sprinkle of salt on all sides and put it, uncovered, in the refrigerator until letting it come to 'room temperature' for a couple hours before I plan to put it on the grill. Then I dry it well, add a bit of oil to all sides and crank on a bunch of cracked pepper. The salt not only flavors the meat but somehow seems to change the ph and makes it even more tender ~ or, it could just be superior beef.......

I try to sear both edges before letting it cook on the sides, often pulling it over to the cool side of the grill to cook without burning. It always rests for a good 10 minutes before slicing.

I did some butter poached baby potatoes and broccoli/carrots to finish out the meal.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 07_06_11

NormM

NormM

Probably not the best time of the year to be baking all day but I did it anyway. I tried two new things today. One was a honey brioche bread and the other was a roast chicken with a baste of cloves, Chinese 5 spice, soy sauce, and garlic.July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 20200716
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 20200714
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 20200715

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:There have been many times in the last few years when my sis and I went out for lunch and would be asked "Is this a special occasion?"  I usually answered with something like "Yup, it's Thursday, and we're alive.!" I am so glad that we had all those opportunities, for she can't go out any more.  Fell in her house twice last week, fractured 4 ribs and there are cracks in other parts of her body.  She is in hospice, and will not be coming home any more.  So, take my advice live each day to the fullest while you can..

Sorry about your sister ..... You are so right about enjoying each day. 
I feel the same way. Remember, "Each day is different; Each day is Not the same!"
I know, it is tough on you. May you and she both be blessed.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Failure for supper.... due to the lack of listening to the correct method of grilling.
Chicken wings were on the menu, and Tina wanted to cook them on the grill.
I mentioned to place them on the unlit side, but leave the foil off, after the first hour.
Well..... they were cooked......the bones pulled right off. The skin was loose, and wet.
Not one crunch to be found. I ate one, dissected, by me. That was it.
Someone else can eat them. 

I fried spaghetti in oil and butter. Some of the spaghetti was crunchy. 

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Probably not the best time of the year to be baking all day but I did it anyway.  I tried two new things today.  One was a honey brioche bread and the other was a roast chicken with a baste of cloves, Chinese 5 spice, soy sauce, and garlic.
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 20200715

Norm, would you move in by me and bake me bread once a week?

PLEASE??????

That sounds DElicious!

NormM likes this post

JanaAZ

Im finally using some of the sourdough english muffins I made.  Today, I made fried egg with ham and cheese on my sourdough muffin.  I'm allergic to eggs, but Steve sJuly, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 Img_2010
ure loved them.

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 Img_2010

I remember Steve doing some building at your house......is he putting in a drive-up window next to the garage for you? Hahahahahaha! These look fantastic!

UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Decided on a Fried Chicken Salad tonight......

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 07_07_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Shells with fried onions, and little red canned beans.
They look gigantic, but the paper plates were the small 6 inch ones.
I had 3 of those little dishes.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 Shells10

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at a loss of what to fix for supper.....nothing looked good. I decided to look through my printed recipes (things I've made in the last 6 months or so) and I came across Grandma Lipski's Sloppy Joes. It was a recipe my good friend gave me that her mother-in-law always made for her children.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 07_08_12

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mrs. Swanson tv dinners cooked tonight.
Had Salisbury Steak, w mashed potatoes, green beans, and a rubber brownie.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I was at a loss of what to fix for supper.....nothing looked good.  I decided to look through my printed recipes (things I've made in the last 6 months or so) and I came across Grandma Lipski's Sloppy Joes.  It was a recipe my good friend gave me that her mother-in-law always made for her children.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 07_08_12

Beth, are you willing to part with the recipe / or did you already post it?

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Beth, are you willing to part with the recipe / or did you already post it?

Of course, Jimmy ~ You know me, I'll give you anything I've got! I also posted this in 'Meats, etc...'

Grandma Lipski’s Sloppy Joes
(Contributed by Joanne to 1988 Grace Church cookbook)

1 lb. Ground Beef
1 tsp. Oil
½ c. Chopped Onion
¼ c. Chopped Celery
¼ c. Ketchup
1 – 8 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp. Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
½ tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Pepper

Soften onion and celery in oil in hot pan. Add ground beef and break up until meat is no longer pink. It may be necessary to drain at this point, depending upon amount of moisture/fat from meat. Add remaining ingredients, mix well, cover and simmer 20 minutes.

Serves 6

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

JanaAZ

I saw a recipe for Joanna gaines’ blueberry sweet rolls and thought I’d try it mi looked at the recipe and all they had was the ingredients and a few goofy things like how to cut the,pm....nothing about mixing, rolling, time or temperature. But that didn’t stop me. I’m going to write up what I did They were good, but I’m going to do my own thing with the frosting next time.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 00af6210
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 0e955f10

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

MY supper tonight.
Liver and onions.....
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 Liver10

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:MY supper tonight.
Liver and onions.....

That's one of Dane's favorites. I just can't be around it any more.....I always suggest he order it when we go out. I hope you enjoyed the heck out of it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a lasagna in the garage freezer and that's what we had for supper. It was a little 'juicy' ~ to say the least. Good flavor, just didn't let it sit long enough I guess.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 07_09_12

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 3 07_09_13

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a lazy man's pizza. It is pizza dip: a layer of cream cheese, sauce, various cheeses, italian sausage and pepperoni all baked until melty. It is served with baguette slices. You just glom on a spoonful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum