Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure!

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I have to return the kittens to the breeder. I had thm vetted today and found they test positive for leukemia. Can't keep them.

Oh, that's a shame, Debbie.  

My old cat (he made it 17+ years) had leukemia but after treatment survived just fine.  He wasn't a breeder cat, just a neighbor's cat's kitten (one of 12....Geesh!)  After that litter my neighbor finally got her cat in to the vet to be spayed.  It wasn't easy to find homes for 12 kittens.

The vet said some cats are carriers but never get sick.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Since it's really difficult to go out for a nice, quiet dinner at a restaurant ~ IF we go out to eat it's just to go in, order, eat and leave ~ I decided to make my own birthday dinner.  That way I wouldn't complain about it!  LOL

I made the last two Costco USDA Prime ribeye steaks, baby potatoes w/parsley & chives, Penzey seasoned French green beans & a tossed salad with an Asian Lemon dressing I made the other night (leftover).

I got nothing but compliments from Tom & Darlene.  This is the first time I've cooked beef for Tom so I asked him how he liked his steak cooked.  I knew Darlene likes her's on the red side of medium rare.  When he said, "medium-well" I almost sent him packing!  No, not really.  But I had to think how I could grill one steak for the two of them to share when her's would be red in the middle and his could be BROWN all the way through.  But I figured it out.  When the steak was medium rare I cut it in half and then butterflied his and threw it back over the hot coals.......just enough to get rid of all the color.

When we were eating he complimented me and said he didn't think he'd EVER had a better steak, that usually he had to pour A-1 Sauce on it.  I caught myself before I said, "Well, Geeze, if you didn't cremate a perfectly good piece of beef you wouldn't NEED A-1 !!!  Hahahahahaha.....glad he couldn't read my mind!  To each their own.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 07_22_10

Darlene had insisted in bringing something when I invited them and I said, "No, it's all taken care of" but then thought, "Hey, how about a cake.....just not a cheesecake because that's not a favorite of mine (but it is Dane's.....but it's not HIS birthday, it's MINE!).

So she ordered a Hummingbird Cake ~ ~ OMG!  SO GOOD!  It's a banana cake with coconut, pineapple & pecans with decadent buttercream whipped frosting.  I've got a bunch left in the refrigerator.  I'm going to have to pass it out around the neighborhood tomorrow for sure!

Beautiful meal, I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday meal, here is a birthday toast July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 829809188 for you

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! Now that I'm 70 plus 1 day I'm going to just relax and enjoy the fact I woke up this morning!

cookingirl likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

Oh Bugster2 I am so sorry you had to return the kittens... darn shame.. I am surprised the breeder did not test them, before being sold... too bad...

Did you ever think of adopting from a shelter? They are all vetted before being allowed out for adoption.

Bugster2

Bugster2

cookingirl wrote:Oh Bugster2  I am so sorry you had to return the kittens... darn shame.. I am surprised the breeder did not test them, before being sold... too bad...

Did you ever think of adopting from a shelter? They are all vetted before being allowed out for adoption.  

Yes, I have thought of adopting a kitten from a shelter. The problem is that I want a long haired kitten and those are hard to find in a shelter.

Cookin Lore

Took some Aussie lamb chops out for myself today. I think there will be just a nice salad to go with them. I haven't been eating many green or colourful things lately.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Thanks everyone for the good wishes!  Now that I'm 70 plus 1 day I'm going to just relax and enjoy the fact I woke up this morning!

Yup! That's what I try to do, enjoy the fact that I have a roof over my head and woke up again. Life is short, enjoy it while you can. I think I missed your birthday........ Happy late b-day, I am 70 plus about 2200 days! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote: Life is short, enjoy it while you can.  I think I missed your birthday........ Happy late b-day, I am 70 plus about 2200 days! LOL

Hahahahahaha! I love that line! Thanks for the good wishes!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... it's Mrs Swanson's tonight.
Salisbury steak dinner. Fudge cake with ice cream for dessert.

bethk

bethk
Admin

After a really rich, heavy birthday meal yesterday, I decided tonight was going to be MUCH lighter.

I used leftovers to make a Spanish Tortilla ~ potato & mushroom skillet omelette. I like mine with some bottled taco sauce.....

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 07_23_11

bethk

bethk
Admin

Neighbor Jim got back from Pittsburgh so I invited him for supper. Grilled Pork Chops with cabbage, packet potatoes & corn......made Grandma's cucumber salad. We finished up the birthday cake for dessert.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 07_24_10

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

NormM

NormM

I got a corned beef on a whim and cooked it today. It shrank down to almost nothing. I was hoping there would be enough for sandwiches but they will be small sandwiches.  We also had roasted carrots and cabbage and an apple pie with meringue for the topping.
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 20200721
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 20200722
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 20200723

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

You don't see corned beef around here at this time of year. It looks tasty.

I finally got a delivery date from Dell.

We had 7-layer dip for dinner.

I took back the kittens and got a refund. It broke my heart to do so.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had Indonesian food tonight. Take Out. I had the skewered shrimp ( 12 ) with sticky rice.
Spring rolls and dumplings with cabbage and mushroom filling.

Cookin Lore

I had everything ready to grill on my indoor grill. Huge portobello. red pepper, two large round slices of onion, and 8 jumbo shrimp on skewers. Got the mushroom done half way, and then the grill quit.I have no idea what happened....................... So, I ended up doing it all in a frying pan. Still tasted great, I'll try to figure out the grill. OHHHH, I miss the firepit I had for almost 40 years!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:I had everything ready to grill on my indoor grill.  Huge portobello. red pepper, two large round slices of onion, and 8 jumbo shrimp on skewers.  Got the mushroom done half way, and then the grill quit.I have no idea what happened....................... So, I ended up doing it all in a frying pan.  Still tasted great, I'll try to figure out the grill.  OHHHH, I miss the firepit I had for almost 40 years!

Are you out of gas?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:I had everything ready to grill on my indoor grill.  Huge portobello. red pepper, two large round slices of onion, and 8 jumbo shrimp on skewers.  Got the mushroom done half way, and then the grill quit.I have no idea what happened....................... So, I ended up doing it all in a frying pan.  Still tasted great, I'll try to figure out the grill.  OHHHH, I miss the firepit I had for almost 40 years!

Most of the small appliances we buy today are considered 'throw-away' when they go bad. Seldom has Dane been able to 'fix' things like he use to when they were made to last. It makes me so mad, by the time I figure out how to work something, with all the buttons and dials, that they 'die' and then you can't find the same model you had and have to learn all over again. It's even worse with big (expensive) appliances. I remember the guy at the appliance center when I bought my refrigerator ~ to the tune of $2,200 ~ he said the 'normal life span' of a refrigerator was EIGHT years! I'm use to buying something like a refrigerator or dishwasher and having it last for 20+ years.

So, good luck trying to find a fix. You might find some useful information if you go to 'youtube.com' and enter the name and model number of your grill. Sometimes others have had the same problem and post their 'fix'. It's worth a try.....

NormM

NormM

I'd say 8 years lifespan for an expensive refrigerator is not acceptable. I suspect the guy was just trying to get you to buy an extended warranty.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:

Most of the small appliances we buy today are considered 'throw-away' when they go bad.  Seldom has Dane been able to 'fix' things like he use to when they were made to last.  It makes me so mad, by the time I figure out how to work something, with all the buttons and dials, that they 'die' and then you can't find the same model you had and have to learn all over again.  It's even worse with big (expensive) appliances.  I remember the guy at the appliance center when I bought my refrigerator ~ to the tune of $2,200 ~ he said the 'normal life span' of a refrigerator was EIGHT years!  I'm use to buying something like a refrigerator or dishwasher and having it last for 20+ years.  

So, good luck trying to find a fix.  You might find some useful information if you go to 'youtube.com' and enter the name and model number of your grill.  Sometimes others have had the same problem and post their 'fix'.  It's worth a try.....

Thanks......................... To add insult to injury, I guess I threw out the bill. And now find that there is a two year warranty. I bought it Dec 6, 2018, found it on my VISA statement on line, but just a couple of weeks ago I cleared out all statements prior to Jan 1, 2019 LOL Just cleaning up my desk etc. Bought it at Walmart, I may just try to convince them that I am an honest person.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

Thanks......................... To add insult to injury, I guess I threw out the bill.  And now find that there is a two year warranty.  I bought it Dec 6, 2018, found it on my VISA statement on line, but just a couple of weeks ago I cleared out all statements prior to Jan 1, 2019 LOL  Just cleaning up my desk etc. Bought it at Walmart, I may just try to convince them that I am an honest person.  

Contact the manufacturer on line and explain you have your VISA statement from the date of purchase. Most will honor their warranty (and prefer you not return to the retailer but, rather, deal directly with them).

Neighbor Jeanie got a free replacement spray attachment for her faucet set that failed years after purchase just because she had the model number in the installation instruction booklet.

At least it's worth a try. You have nothing to loose by taking up a bit of time to check it out.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I'd say 8 years lifespan for an expensive refrigerator is not acceptable. I suspect the guy was just trying to get you to buy an extended warranty.

I just googled it ~ average life span of a refrigerator is 14 years (still low as far as I'm concerned).

It was our mattress that they suggested should be replaced after 8 years...........

(More stupid information to clutter up our minds! LOL)

NormM

NormM

Charlie has a king siz mattress that he says needs replacing. It is about 10 years old. Mine (queen size) is 16 and still good. I seem to remember them saying the sides were made to be sat on without breaking down. It is also a lot thicker than the average mattress made at that time.

bethk likes this post

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:

Are you out of gas?

No gas, it's electric. And, I couldn't get the plug out of the receptacle, neighbour came over, and part of the rubber of the electric plug has melted. He had to use a screwdriver to get it out. It was plugged into the top of my electric stove. I'm off to Walmart, see what they say. However, I am concerned now about the actual receptacle at the top of my stove.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

You are lucky you didn't have a fire.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made panko coated chicken fingers tonight. Steamed asparagus and I used my $0.99 ALDI Spiral Slicer to make zucchini 'spaghetti' that I quickly sauteed until tender crisp. No complaints from the 'Peanut Gallery'.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! - Page 9 07_25_16

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum