Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure!

+4
UNCLE JIMMY
Cookin Lore
Imelda HL
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know it's going to be blistering hot tonight.

But we have to eat..... I'm thinking of using the gas grill as an oven again, this time for a couple casserole dishes of stuffed peppers.

We have an over abundance of the hot banana peppers and a bunch of red sweet peppers that need to be picked and eaten. I've used the hot peppers for stuffed pepper casserole before and we both liked it ~ cooking takes a lot of the spicy heat out of the peppers.

And since I have ground beef (thanks, Fresh Market!!) I'll play around with what I have on hand to make a filling.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I know it's going to be blistering hot tonight.

But we have to eat.....  I'm thinking of using the gas grill as an oven again, this time for a couple casserole dishes of stuffed peppers.

We have an over abundance of the hot banana peppers and a bunch of red sweet peppers that need to be picked and eaten.  I've used the hot peppers for stuffed pepper casserole before and we both liked it ~ cooking takes a lot of the spicy heat out of the peppers.

And since I have ground beef (thanks, Fresh Market!!) I'll play around with what I have on hand to make a filling.
[
Can you take the picture of your hot banana peppers and post them here? I want to see if I can find them here, thank you

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:
[
Can you take the picture of your hot banana peppers and post them here? I want to see if I can find them here, thank you

The plants are looking pretty wilted, but it's hot and it's the middle of the day.....

The peppers start out a light green, are ripe when yellow and increase the heat when they turn orange to red.....

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 07_01_12

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 07_01_13

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 07_01_14

NormM, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

We have way too many hot peppers ~ Dane wants me to pickle them......but that means I have to buy new quart wide mouth jars. Of course he wants them pickled whole. Too much messin' around for me. But we'll see. It's not hard but I'm mean enough to not spend time working on something I won't be eating.....

Even the jalapenos are turning red because we have so many and can't share them and can't eat them fast enough....

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 07_01_15

Cookin Lore

Canada Day today. Our national Holiday. Not a good day for me. Sis has been moved to the hospice facility. I was wrong about a couple of things. Her room is fully furnished, she does not take her own furniture, and thanks to COVID19, there are very strict visitor rules. Two people can be designated as visitors and that, for now is her son, and her husband of 34 years. No spot for a sister, and I understand. When Health Canada loosens restrictions I may be able to visit. There's nothing else that can be done, but obviously I don't like it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We have way too many hot peppers ~ Dane wants me to pickle them......but that means I have to buy new quart wide mouth jars.  Of course he wants them pickled whole.  Too much messin' around for me.  But we'll see.  It's not hard but I'm mean enough to not spend time working on something I won't be eating.....

Even the jalapenos are turning red because we have so many and can't share them and can't eat them fast enough....

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 07_01_15
1-800 order from Tony Packo's .com

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

1-800 order from Tony Packo's .com

I think these might be too hot for good old Tony.......Hahahahahahaha!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Canada Day today.  Our national Holiday.  Not a good day for me.  Sis has been moved to the hospice facility.  I was wrong about a couple of things.  Her room is fully furnished, she does not take her own furniture, and thanks to COVID19, there are very strict visitor rules.  Two people can be designated as visitors and that, for now is her son, and her husband of 34 years.  No spot for a sister, and I understand.  When Health Canada loosens restrictions I may be able to visit.  There's nothing else that can be done, but obviously I don't like it.  

I know it doesn't help but you KNOW she knows you'd be there if you could. So very sorry.

bethk

bethk
Admin

My stuffed peppers came out really good. HE had stuffed hot banana peppers ~ he said there was still just a little bit of 'bite' and the flavor was good. I had stuffed red sweet peppers and they were yummy. The hamburger/rice/vegetable filling had good flavor & held together nicely. I used the leftover marinara (thinned out a bit) as the moisture needed to soften the peppers.

I mixed up the package of the Sweet Kale Salad to go with our meal.

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 07_01_16

Cookin Lore

Thanks, yes, she knows and I can text/talk to her I have made a lot of stuffed bell peppers for my son and dil. Michael loves spicy, so next time I make some, I will include a couple of hot peppers just for fun. He'll probably like them.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I envy all of you with cast iron stomachs.

They have imposed new COVID restrictions in CA. They have closed all indoor dining, bars, wineries. Some beaches are closed and all beach parking lots are closed so they are making it hard for beach go-ers to get there. It won't stop people. They will just load up their SUV's with people and food and probably a bicycle. The people and food will get dropped off. The driver will park somewhere and bike down to the beach. No one wears masks in OC. IDK. Frankly I think everything should open and if you want to take a chance on getting sick, so be it. We don't even know if there is ever going to be a vaccine, so you either have to say goodby to your life as you knew it and remain holed up in your house for the rest of your life or risk getting sick. If you do get sick then I hope there is some kind of immunity you have built up in your body. I got the Hong Kong flu twice. I got the red measles twice, so i am not confident.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My stuffed peppers came out really good.  HE had stuffed hot banana peppers ~ he said there was still just a little bit of 'bite' and the flavor was good.  I had stuffed red sweet peppers and they were yummy.  The hamburger/rice/vegetable filling had good flavor & held together nicely.  I used the leftover marinara (thinned out a bit) as the moisture needed to soften the peppers.

Beth, do you remove the skins on the peppers??
Some peppers, the skins are thin, but the majority of them, like bell peppers, have skins that get stuck to the roof of the mouth.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was asked by Ms. Tina, what I wanted for supper. I said,"You know, I could go for a Whopper from burger king!" Our BK moved away to the next town; which is a ride up the budd lk. mountain, at the top. So Tina got me a whopper, onion rings, and those Jalapeno stuffed peppers with cheddar cheese. I had to force myself to eat the whopper. That is some huge burger. 

Everything is moving away from here. Pizza Hut left, and Wendy's is next. 

We are in order to no eating inside restaurants, and still face covers are required to get into the stores.
4th Of July is Saturday, so I suggested we get curbside pickup from a pizza place in Long Valley. It's a 5 mile drive over Schooleys Mountain. We just found the place, and it is great pizza. It's a great variety of foods too.
The prices are not bad either. From what I can see on the menu posted on their page. I don't know how to make the menu bigger.
What I will do, is place the pizza stone on the grill, and we can throw the slices on the hot stone as we eat them. 
We can have corn on the cob too. 

https://www.facebook.com/Pezzopizza62/?ref=page_internal

cookingirl likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:My stuffed peppers came out really good.  HE had stuffed hot banana peppers ~ he said there was still just a little bit of 'bite' and the flavor was good.  I had stuffed red sweet peppers and they were yummy.  The hamburger/rice/vegetable filling had good flavor & held together nicely.  I used the leftover marinara (thinned out a bit) as the moisture needed to soften the peppers.

That looks great Beth. I love your filling with rice and veggies with the ground beef sounds good! 

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Beth, do you remove the skins on the peppers??
Some peppers, the skins are thin, but the majority of them, like bell peppers, have skins that get stuck to the roof of the mouth.

These peppers have really thin skin ~ I don't think they'd hold up if the skin was removed.

I ended up just eating the bottom halves. I'd rather have the filling and leave the 'holder' part. Dane splashed Crystal Hot Sauce all over his and ate everything....

To each his own.........

bethk

bethk
Admin

DD#1 and I exchange pics of our suppers most days.  We get ideas from one another.  Last night I was talking with her and came up with an idea for tonight.  

But as I was pouring my second cup of coffee just now I could not, for the life of me, remember what I had said I was going to fix.  I hate when this happens ~ like I'm losing my mind!

And there, sitting right next to the coffee pot, was the container of soaking red beans.......

I guess that was a better hint than a note written to 'self'.

I'm so glad I didn't text her to ask what we had talked about!

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I envy all of you with cast iron stomachs.

They have imposed new COVID restrictions in CA. They have closed all indoor dining, bars, wineries. Some beaches are closed and all beach parking lots are closed so they are making it hard for beach go-ers to get there. It won't stop people. They will just load up their SUV's with people and food and probably a bicycle. The people and food will get dropped off. The driver will park somewhere and bike down to the beach. No one wears masks in OC. IDK. Frankly I think everything should open and if you want to take a chance on getting sick, so be it. We don't even know if there is ever going to be a vaccine, so you either have to say goodby to your life as you knew it and remain holed up in your house for the rest of your life or risk getting sick. If you do get sick then I hope there is some kind of immunity you have built up in your body. I got the Hong Kong flu twice. I got the red measles twice, so i am not confident.

I hear you about the immunity or not. I have had chicken pox 4 times.

Bugster2

Bugster2

4 times?? That has got to be a record.

Cookin Lore

Yes, my doctor was surprised to say the least. I had a severe case when I was 7 or 8 in Germany, another bad case in Canada at 13, and then two mild cases in my early 60s here. And 6 years ago I got shingles. So, they can tell me what they want about immunity................ I think there are always exceptions.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:
[

The plants are looking pretty wilted, but it's hot and it's the middle of the day.....

The peppers start out a light green, are ripe when yellow and increase the heat when they turn orange to red.....

July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 07_01_12

Thank you Beth, I'll see if our stores have them. I like red jalapenos, when we planted them, I like to let them turned red before I picked them, I stored them in my freezer for later used, I usually used it to add color in my cooking

bethk

bethk
Admin

These are so easy to grow, although it's probably a bit hot now to start them. You might check at your nearest garden center (I got ours at Home Depot or Lowe's). Even at $3/plant it's a deal ~ and you don't need more than 1 plant, to be sure.

I only bought 6 because they were small seedlings in a 6-pack container for the same price as a single plant that was twice as tall. They grow really fast. Dane did take 3 of them to his sister or we'd be overcome with them out in the courtyard ~ I can just imagine them attacking me as I walked out the door! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got my red beans cooking on the stove top now. I added two orange banana peppers and one red jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, along with a chopped onion, a couple stalks of celery and one leftover tomato that needed to be used. I threw a couple dry bay leaves and a couple sprigs of fresh thyme in the pot. I thawed a pint of really good homemade ham stock and a cup or so of chicken stock from a box.

Right now it tastes pretty good with good pepper flavor but I'm afraid the 'heat' will cook out ~ so I've got another banana pepper and another jalapeno ready to be minced up for the last 30 minutes or so, just in case.

NormM

NormM

I am going to cook some Korean style baby back ribs on the grill this evening but after the sauerkraut discussion I started some today.  A few months ago I made a Chinese style jar for ferementing vegetables on the potters wheel and decided making kraut in it would be a good use for it but then I saw some jar lids for wide mouthed canning jars that were fermentation locks for making fermented vegetables.  The lids came today and so the cabbage is in one and I'll let you know how it turns out.  Glass jars are better because you can see how things are going without taking the lid off.  The Chinese jar works by putting water in the valley at the top of the jar, then gas given off rises out through the water and air can't get in.  The fermemtation lid does the same thing.  This one came with a pump so when you take off the lid to taste it, you can pump the air out that you let in when you took the lid off.July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 20200628
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 20200627
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 20200713
July, 2020 ~ A hot time in the kitchen, for sure! 20200712

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Cookin Lore

Oh LOrdy!  I just like the stuff out of a jar from the grocery store! But, I'm sure yours will be fabulous!

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I am going to cook some Korean style baby back ribs on the grill this evening but after the sauerkraut discussion I started some today.  A few months ago I made a Chinese style jar for ferementing vegetables on the potters wheel and decided making kraut in it would be a good use for it but then I saw some jar lids for wide mouthed canning jars that were fermentation locks for making fermented vegetables.  The lids came today and so the cabbage is in one and I'll let you know how it turns out.  Glass jars are better because you can see how things are going without taking the lid off.  The Chinese jar works by putting water in the valley at the top of the jar, then gas given off rises out through the water and air can't get in.  The fermemtation lid does the same thing.  This one came with a pump so when you take off the lid to taste it, you can pump the air out that you let in when you took the lid off.

How cool is that??? I'll be anxiously awaiting your review!

I thought about 'throwing' my own sauerkraut jar but thought better of it and bought a can of Silver Floss instead......

((Are you laughing, Norm, thinking of uncoordinated 'me' throwing anything other than a fit???? Hahahahahahaha!)

NormM, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum