Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2020

+3
Crybaby
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 11]

101February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't cook yesterday. It was Dane's birthday and we were going out with old friends from Ohio who are here in The Villages visiting with his mom. We had a great time ~ funny how dinner with (really) old friends is just like you had dinner with them last week, too. We've known them since our girls started kindergarten together ~ over 40 years.

Today I'm really feeling the effects of Patrick the contractor 'sharing' his cold with us. Dane said he's feeling it in the back of his throat. So I have the chicken carcass simmering away. We'll have chicken soup for supper.

102February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Beautiful fry on the eggplant!  You coated them so evenly.  When I first glanced at the pic I thought you had made English muffins.  LOL  (although English muffins covered in sauce & cheese ain't a bad idea.....)

How can you tell the difference between a male & female eggplant?  Other than the female one is so chatty......

The male has a round shape brown mark on the end, and the female has an oval mark. Hence the female has less seeds ??..... "Doesn't always work though."Just going by what Ms Tina says.

I looked it up. It's the Male ( round mark ) that has less seeds.
I say it's all a bunch of malarky.

103February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to lunch with four Ohio friends today, two who are visiting. We chose a local Chop House even though I had heard it was quite pricey. When I checked their lunch menu on line I found the prices to be very reasonable, most in the $15 range. It was a lovely restaurant and a lot of fun for a bunch of women.

They all 'humored' me and allowed me to take pics of everyone's lunch. LOL

Cavatappi with Marinara:

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_12

Bucatini with Chicken & Mushrooms in Gorgonzola Cream Sauce:

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_13

Mandarin Chicken Salad with Carrot Miso Dressing:

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_14

Spinach Salad with Crispy Pork Belly, Roasted Mushrooms & Warm Bacon Dressing:

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_15

Half Grouper Sandwich and Garden Salad with House Lemon Vinaigrette:

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_16

104February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think I mentioned that Patrick, our contractor, was very generous and shared his cold with us.....I should have shorted his final check! LOL

But it's not a horrible flu, just a rotten sinus cold and a bit of occasional cough. Just enough to remind you to take a nap.......

So, I simmered the chicken carcass from the roast chicken with some carrot & celery and then strained it, added some fresh chopped celery & carrot and the bit of meat I salvaged off the bones. I used a couple egg yolks to make just enough noodles for half a pot of broth. It was a coolish, rainy day so I gave Jeanie a call and she joined us for a bowl of soup and some saltine crackers. Just what the doctor ordered!

And since it's Valentine's Day (and I'm too cheap to spend on a card.....), I made it with love......

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_17

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_18

February 2020 - Page 5 02_14_19

105February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hi All, Happy Valentine day to you all. I did get on here for a long while, not much going on, not much cooking. Today Dirk grilled a Rib-eye steak, it was a thick cut, about 1 and half lbs a piece, we shared it. I made some mashed butternut squash with butter and sour cream and steamed dome green beans in microwave

February 2020 - Page 5 86459610

106February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I think I mentioned that Patrick, our contractor, was very generous and shared his cold with us.....I should have shorted his final check!  LOL

But it's not a horrible flu, just a rotten sinus cold and a bit of occasional cough.  Just enough to remind you to take a nap.......

So, I simmered the chicken carcass from the roast chicken with some carrot & celery and then strained it, added some fresh chopped celery & carrot and the bit of meat I salvaged off the bones.  I used a couple egg yolks to make just enough noodles for half a pot of broth.  It was a coolish, rainy day so I gave Jeanie a call and she joined us for a bowl of soup and some saltine crackers.  Just what the doctor ordered!

And since it's Valentine's Day (and I'm too cheap to spend on a card.....), I made it with love......

Those noodles look great Beth. How do you make them? Do you make your own dough? Do you have a pasta cutter? I am terrible at making pasta.

107February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I think I mentioned that Patrick, our contractor, was very generous and shared his cold with us.....I should have shorted his final check!  LOL

But it's not a horrible flu, just a rotten sinus cold and a bit of occasional cough.  Just enough to remind you to take a nap.......

So, I simmered the chicken carcass from the roast chicken with some carrot & celery and then strained it, added some fresh chopped celery & carrot and the bit of meat I salvaged off the bones.  I used a couple egg yolks to make just enough noodles for half a pot of broth.  It was a coolish, rainy day so I gave Jeanie a call and she joined us for a bowl of soup and some saltine crackers.  Just what the doctor ordered!

Looks mighty healthy. The noodles make it look so delicious.

Tomorrow I may make some chicken soup. Or, I will open up a Mrs. Grass's.

108February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:07 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

Those noodles look great Beth. How do you make them? Do you make your own dough? Do you have a pasta cutter? I am terrible at making pasta.

Bugs, noodles are super easy. Takes about 10 minutes, plus dough resting time.

For a single pot of soup I used 2 egg yolks, 1/2 t. salt and a few shakes of ground pepper. The pepper isn't mandatory, just our taste, but the salt is a must. I whisk the yolks and seasoning together to dissolve the salt. I do reserve the egg whites just in case I get too much flour mixed in because if I add water or milk the noodles just fall apart when added to the boiling broth. Once the salt is dissolved in the yolks I get rid of the whisk and use a sturdy spoon to stir in the flour ~ starting with a scant 1/2 c. of AP flour. I try to incorporate as much flour as I can with the spoon ~ it'll be a really sticky mass.

When I cannot stir any more I scrap it out on to a floured board ~ in this case I just used one of my little plastic cutting boards (you can see it in the pic, I ended up rolling out and cutting the noodles on it) because it's got a rough texture and holds a good amount of flour. I put it on top of a damp dish cloth on the countertop so it doesn't slip around. The dough gets some bench flour, a fair amount, sprinkled on top liberally and I start to knead it to add as much flour as I can and to smooth the dough to incorporate the flour. When the dough is really stiff and smooth I break it into two or three pieces and form each into a disk (much like pulling apart a golf ball sized piece). Each disk gets wrapped in flour and either rests in the refrigerator if I'm making the noodles later or the next day or on the countertop if I'm going to roll them out right away.

Each disk of dough rests for at least 30 minutes. Then I just use the same cutting board to roll them out. I try to roll into a rectangle or oval the size of the little cutting board ~ about 10" X 7". I make sure there's enough flour under and on top of the dough so it doesn't stick and I keep moving it. Last night I had two disks of dough so I rolled each out and set the first one aside as I rolled the second one. When both were rolled thin I stacked them and cut them down the middle, length wise, floured the cut edges so they wouldn't stick together and stacked them ~ four 3 1/2" strips of dough on top of each other. Then I cut the strip in half again to end up with eight 3 1/2" stacked strips, adding a bit of flour any place they were the least bit sticky.

Once I had all the dough strips neatly stacked on top of one another I started to slice them into 1/8" strips 3 1/2" long ~ they 'fatten up' a bit when they cook. I cut the noodles and then sprinkled with a bit more bench flour to be sure they didn't stick together.

As soon as the noodles are cut you can add them to boiling broth. I just slide them into the broth from the same little cutting board, making sure the broth continues to boil and they don't sink to the bottom of the pot and become one gigantic clump of dough (don't ask how I know this could be an outcome......). It's OK if the bench flour from the board sifts into the broth at the same time as the noodles ~ just thickens up the broth a bit. I don't rush adding the noodles, just take my time and stir them as they go into the broth. It takes probably 10 minutes of a low boil for the noodles to cook, but can take as long as 20 minutes ~ depends upon how much flour is incorporated, how thick they're cut and your personal taste.

It takes a bit of practice to get the feel of the dough but it's not hard and doesn't take long to do ~ and they taste WAY better than store bought, especially if you're already feeling crummy from a cold.

109February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Hi All, Happy Valentine day to you all. I did get on here for a long while, not much going on, not much cooking. Today Dirk grilled a Rib-eye steak, it was a thick cut, about 1 and half lbs a piece, we shared it. I made some mashed butternut squash with butter and sour cream and steamed dome green beans in microwave

Your meal looks amazing, as usual, Imelda. It's so good to have you back!

Dane & I are the same ~ I make one steak and slice it up to share. It tastes so much better when it's a larger piece grilled.

110February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:40 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks for the info Beth. Sounds like too much for my gimp hand to handle. Maybe in the future if my fingers uncurl. They sure look tasty. My sis ter told about some frozen fresh noodles that are almost as good as homemade and look like yours. I will have to look for some in the store.

111February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks for the info Beth. Sounds like too much for my gimp hand to handle. Maybe in the future if my fingers uncurl. They sure look tasty. My sis ter told about some frozen fresh noodles that are almost as good as homemade and look like yours. I will have to look for some in the store.

We get them in the store in the cellophane bag. Kluski they call them.
Just google Kluski. Walmart and most grocery stores carry them.

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)

112February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy!

113February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

114February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had a neighborhood 'Patio Party' this afternoon. It was a Pierogi Party ~ hosted by the Polish gang. I just made some smoked brat/cabbage ~ the full crockpot was empty when we got home. It never ceases to amaze me how something so simple can be such a hit. As usual, there was an abundance of food. No one went home hungry.

115February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sounds good Beth. I love cabbage.

I made chicken tenders in the air fryer, along with batter dipped onion rings.
Tina didn't eat. She worked at the soup kitchen at the church today, and ate a meatball. Somehow, she got a piece of one, stuck in her stomach. I think it's a trip to the gastro Dr. soon. That stomach needs a stretching again.

116February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:30 am

Cookin Lore

Back home after a week on a cruise. Miami to Roatan, to Belize, then Play del Carmen (I think) then Cozumel and yesterday back to Miami. Our plane was supposed to leave Miami at 4:30, it left at shortly before 11. So, it is now 3:20 and I can't sleep. Too wound up., My first cruise, and it quite likely is my last. So many people have raved about the food on the buffet, well, sorry, I think it was just a little above mediocre. Lots of it, and lots of choices, but nothing as they say "to write home about." However, it was the Norwegian Escape, and apparently it is different in that there are several other restaurants on board where you get fabulous food, and white tablecloth service. Several are pricey, and not included in the regular food package.

I loved the three days when we were totally at sea, did not enjoy going ashore at all, and that's my reason for probably never doing this again. Live and learn, right? This was organized by my children as a friends and family cruise, so I got to spend lots of time with my sons and daughters-in-law,and that was the best part of it.

117February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:17 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy to have you back home, Lore. I'm sorry you didn't have a 'super fabulous' time. Had you been an experienced cruiser or had more idea of what to expect I'm sure your dinner / meal choices could have been much more to your liking. I've been on 7 or 8 Norwegian cruises (mostly in the Eastern Caribbean) and always found the food to be very good. I don't think I ever visited the buffet except for maybe a lunch. Our evening meal was always spent in one of the main dining rooms (and occasionally one of the 'added cost' speciality restaurants). We chose our meals from a menu and were treated like honored guests.

We, also, aren't the type to enjoy the 'going ashore' except for a few special exceptions ~ maybe a tour of the island we were at, but certainly not to go 'shopping' at overpriced retail gift stores. We loved the break from the cold and snow and just wanted to lay around doing little or nothing. To each their own!

My very favorite was 'room service' (included) when I would order my breakfast to be served on our balcony so I could have my quiet time as Dane slept away the early daylight hours. LOL

118February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:40 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Well Lore, look on the bright side: You could have been on that ship that just returned to Miami. They had 400 people on board with the stomach flu. Or, even better: you could have been on that ship that is quarantined in Hong Kong. LOL. You sound like me: first and last cruise. LOL

119February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Cookin Lore

Oh, I absolutely knew what to expect. I knew that my children mostly just want to go to the buffet, and I did not expect them to go to white tablecloth type restaurant all the time. I went on this cruise because it was a family time, and I enjoyed it. But, when you've been part of a "WE" for over 50 years, and then are "I, or ME", vacations become a whole different ballgame. The cruise is exactly what I suspected it would be. I am not disappointed in the least. It proved to me that it is not the type of vacation that I want. I am not a beach person, never have been. Sitting in the sun, slathered in stuff? Ghastly. I'd rather sit in the shade of a tree.
4 years ago I had a week on a private catamaran, the "Bikini" in The Bahamas. I loved that. Quiet, out on the ocean, and cheaper than this.

120February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made a pot of chicken stock today. Used a whole chicken and a bunch of vegetables, took the bird out when it was tender and removed all the meat and then put the bones & skin back in the pot to simmer for another two hours. It had lots of flavor.

I was going to make a chicken noodle casserole and the rest of the pot for chicken noodle soup since we're both still feeling the effects of this head cold. Turns out I only had three eggs so it'll be chicken noodle soup again. I said something to Dane and he said that was just fine with him.

I have the entire breast to use for something else, either sandwiches or tetrazzini ~ yeah, I think Chicken Tetrazzini is in my menu for next week. I have mushrooms and a little jar of pimentos that I noticed when I reloaded the pantry. The pimentos was what made me think of making it.

121February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's soup was just as good as Friday's.....

February 2020 - Page 5 02_16_10

122February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

BBQ'd hot dogs was on the stove , and slowly cooking.
When it came time to eat..... Tina tried a hot dog, and it was like chewing on rubber erasers.
The flavor of the hot dogs was awful tasting.

So..... In the trash it went.
We had steamed pot stickers instead.
I had ginger snap cookies and coffee for dessert.

I'm still hungry. Maybe later, I will make a fried egg sandwich with melted mozzarella on top.

123February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:We had a neighborhood 'Patio Party' this afternoon.  It was a Pierogi Party ~ hosted by the Polish gang.  I just made some smoked brat/cabbage ~ the full crockpot was empty when we got home.  It never ceases to amaze me how something so simple can be such a hit.  As usual, there was an abundance of food.  No one went home hungry.

Some of those people probably don't get anything home-cooked very often, I'm sure!

124February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

[quote="NormM"]
Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Norm! Does it have a lot of fat? What is the cost compared to a roast?

Those rib eye cap steaks Norm told us all about that are sold at Costco are DIVINE, Debbie. Pricey but the best steaks we ever had! Marbled all over and cooked beautifully in a cast-iron pan. If you have a chance, pick up a couple for you and your husband (pick a night your roomie goes out) and cook them. They're probably even better on a charcoal grill!

125February 2020 - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:26 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

So that is where they are sold. I will check it out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum