Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2020

+3
Crybaby
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

51February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your chicken looks really crispy ~ the best way to have fried chicken for sure!

52February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I bought an inexpensive version of the butter bell but unfortunately the butter is not soft at room temp. I guess it is too cold in the house.

Didn't have burgers but had pizza dip with a garlic baguette.

53February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had cheese steak sandwiches with peppers and onions.
Tina made potato pancakes too!

February 2020 - Page 3 Img_1719

February 2020 - Page 3 Img_1720

54February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, I could make a meal out of those potato pancakes! Now you have me wanting them!

55February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:48 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Barb had a spinach salad that we all agreed 'won' for presentation:

February 2020 - Page 3 02_04_11

All the dishes looked good but this was indeed very pretty!

56February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:57 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I can't pass up short ribs in the grocery either unless they're really outrageously priced! Every time I make braised short ribs, Brian says the smell is over the moon. He once pointed out how people passing our house kept looking in (we're a "stoop house" so our house is right near the sidewalk) and he swore it was 'cause they were smelling the short ribs!

Last night I made a new recipe for fajitas I found, Chili Lime Steak Fajitas. I made them with skirt steak and they were delicious. The predominantly lime marinade with cilantro was DELICIOUS! Leftovers tonight... I forgot to take a picture but they were really pretty. I used red, orange and yellow bell peppers and the finished dish was really attractive so I wish I would've taken a pic! clown pale

Last edited by Crybaby on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

57February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Gad! I am so limited in my tastes for food. I guess I am very picky. I was looking at the recipe index from a Detroit pie cookbook. I didn't see one pie I would make or eat. Cardamom tahini squash pie, Sweet corn nectarine streusel pie, Sweet beet pie. They all sound icky and I sound like a two year old. LOL.

58February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:07 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Gad! I am so limited in my tastes for food. I guess I am very picky. I was looking at the recipe index from a Detroit pie cookbook. I didn't see one pie I would make or eat. Cardamom tahini squash pie, Sweet corn nectarine streusel pie, Sweet beet pie. They all sound icky and I sound like a two year old. LOL.

Debbie, I eat just about everything and none of those pies sound good to me either! Razz

59February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am willing to give just about everything a taste except for raw meat and seafood, insects and really stinky cheese.

60February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am willing to give just about everything a taste except for raw meat and seafood, insects and really stinky cheese.

Thinking of stinky cheese, long long ago, there was a woman, Peggy that worked with my mom, that always scrambled with her most of the time drunken husband, put Limburger cheese in his car radiator; just for the fun of it. ( Get Back at him.)......She said, he never found out why the car smelled so bad.

61February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I would have thought the cheese would have clogged the radiator.

62February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I would have thought the cheese would have clogged the radiator.

I asked that same question back then, but I guess it just melted?

63February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:36 pm

NormM

NormM

Maybe she said radiator, not knowing it was something else? There are a lot of places that are hotter and would have made the cheese stinkier. The exhaust manifold gets pretty hot. A few times when I was out in the field in my jeep, I heated C-rations on it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

64February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Talking about stinky cheese and radiators, my father told me that his brother got sick into one of the floor heater vents. He said every winter the whole house smelled awful. Yah think???

65February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Maybe she said radiator, not knowing it was something else? There are a lot of places that are hotter and would have made the cheese stinkier. The exhaust manifold gets pretty hot.  A few times when I was out in the field in my jeep, I heated C-rations on it.

It was in the time when the radiators in cars were thick, and had big top tanks.
Anti-freeze was Methanol and water mix. Before permanent antifreeze .
I remember her ( The cheese lady ), explaining how she opened the top, and stuffed the cheese into the top where as she said "you put the water in the radiator!"

I even remember her name... Peggy LaGrange . Why?  Because she worked part time at the Krispy Kreme doughnut Bakery, and she gave mom bags of broken peanut stick doughnuts she got for free. My favorite was the Peanut sticks, and she told us what they used to make the peanut crumbs with. They mixed the dried out plain stale doughnut, mixed into crumbs and baked; with the peanut chips. OMG, they were so good.
They stopped making the peanut topped doughnuts, due to peanut allergies some people were allergic to.

I heard they, ( scientists ) are testing a vaccine to eliminate peanut allergies.
I hope so!

I used to heat my lunch on the engine of my van. Wrapped in foil. And warmed my bagel too!

66February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:23 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I am willing to give just about everything a taste except for raw meat and seafood, insects and really stinky cheese.

Thinking of stinky cheese, long long ago, there was a woman, Peggy that worked with my mom, that always scrambled with her most of the time drunken husband, put Limburger cheese in his car radiator; just for the fun of it. ( Get Back at him.)......She said, he never found out why the car smelled so bad.

That's just a terrible waste of one of my favourite cheeses! But yes, it would smell terrible. The other thing that just is beyond me is how can something that is as delicious as shrimp, can have their shells smell so bad just a few hours later? LOL

I'm leaving in the morning for Miami, and then a cruise for a week. Don't know if I'll be able to check in here, so behave yourselves, everyone! LOL My first cruise. My children organized a friends and family cruise. There are 16 of us. Should be fun!

67February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Talking about stinky cheese and radiators, my father told me that his brother got sick into one of the floor heater vents. He said every winter the whole house smelled awful. Yah think???

Phewww! .... Like the kid that he pee pee'd in the floor register in the bedroom.

68February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had peppers and onions and mushrooms to use up.
I made a frittata topped with mozzarella and cheddar cheese; baked in the broiler.
We are picking at it already for a snack .....  

February 2020 - Page 3 Img_1721

69February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday was a late lunch with Dane's golf group ~ and then we were working on the house non-stop to get ready for more work to be done today.  He's been doing wall repair to the drywall because I didn't like the way the 'professional' did the work.  But Dane knows what I want done and he hates to hear me whine about the crappy job that was done.  So, he takes care of it for me.

Fortunately for us Patrick and his crew installed the new patio doors today instead of working inside on the bathroom.  That means Dane has tomorrow & Sunday to get all the rest of the painting done.

Tonight I made a roast chicken, baked squash, peas & the WalMart Sweet Kale Salad we like so much.  I had planned to pick up a rotisserie chicken but decided at the last minute to just roast a chicken since I wanted a baked squash.

And since I was making a 'real' meal I called neighbor Jim and let him know there would be good food to eat and he joined us.....and, of course, that means I was busy getting everything to the table and forgot to pick up my phone to take a pic.  But you've seen it all before.

70February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:29 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had lasagna made with no bake ( Jimmy here hates them ), noodles.
It was dry.

71February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:51 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hate them too Jimmy.

72February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to Ladies' Lunch today so I'm not interested in supper in the least. Dane's having leftover short ribs/noodles and peas from the roast chicken dinner. Love reheating in my new microwave!

73February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:57 pm

NormM

NormM

I posted a recipe for French Onion Soup about 8 years ago and someone tried it and posted this review.

I made Norm's French onion soup last weekend for guests and it was delicous! I even broke down and bought a bottle of sherry. I was confused in the store wether to get the cream sherry or plain sherry so I went with the cream. I mean what can go wrong with anything that has cream in it's name? LOL I didn't have beef bones and 6 hours to make my own stock. I found beef stock at the grocery but it was $3.25 for what looked like less than a quart! No way am I going to pay that much for stock, plus I recalled I have a small jar of demi glace from France in my cupboard I had indulged in but never opened yet. So I used regular canned beef broth and demi glace to taste. The recipe says it takes about an hour to cook the onions. I think I had my temp too low because it took me closer to 2 hours and I had to turn up the heat toward the end to get the brown carmel color. No problem though... I had plenty of kitchen chores to do and just needed to stir the onions ever so often. I toasted rustic bread slices on one side, buttered and sprinkled granular garlic on the other side, then toasted that side. I floated those on top of the soup and grated over some Edam cheese. The market I had been shopping in had their guyere cheese over priced in my opinion (6oz for $7.65!!!) so I substituted Edam. I hate shopping a regular grocery when imported or gourmet ingredients are on my list!!! Sams club is great for reasonable imported cheeses but I didn't have time to run by there. Edam cheese is a great melting cheese so it turned out fine. The soup was a hit. My dinner menu was French onion soup, my open face gyro type sandwich, and hot blueberry cobbler for dessert. I swear I have bruises on my back from all the complements I got for that dinner. The rich soup was nicely balanced by the fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, and garlicky yogurt of the gyro sandwich. And the sweet warm cobbler can't be beat on a winter night. Thanks again Norm for your delicous recipe and inspiration!

I thought a nice red wine would taste great in the soup too. I almost added some but I do try to stick to the recipe if it's the first time I'm trying it. I also thought a touch of soy sauce would have expanded the flavor levels too. Next time I'll get a bit bolder and try some variations. The thing I most liked about the soup was it's layers of flavors. The broth is so exotic tasting I just loved it, and Sunday morning when I woke up all I could think about was the leftover soup in the fridge. Ate the rest for breakfast!!!

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

74February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Great praise Norm for a soup that was changed from the original. LOL. Edam??? YUCK! I hate Edam cheese. You recipe looks very similar to mine.

Anyone know of a cheap source for soup and beef bones, shank, chuck?

75February 2020 - Page 3 Empty Re: February 2020 Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

How nice you got to read a review of your 8 year old recipe. That's mighty high praise!

If it had been MY recipe I probably wouldn't have recognized it ~ I seldom make something the same every time I make it, with the exception of a couple of Grandma's cake/pie recipes that are 'perfect' IMO and childhood favorites.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum