Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2020

+3
Crybaby
bethk
Cookin Lore
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

26February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

OMG! My friend's daughter is engaged. She has been dating a divorced man with 3 kids. He has a good paying job. Not sure what it is, but her engagement ring is a huge canary diamond and cost $150,000. YIKES!!! I would never, ever want anything like that. I would be too afraid to wear it in public but I am happy she is marrying someone who can afford things like that. She and her sister are terribly spoiled and are not accustomed to doing without. Her other sister was getting married and bought a $7,000 wedding dress. Later she decided she didn't want it and mom paid $25,000 for another. She lives in a different universe from me. Same with Kim Kardashian: she has 9 refrigrators in her house.

27February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I guess it's all a matter of personal taste. I much prefer my homemade chicken stock to purchased beef stock. I just don't have time to make beef stock anymore ~ and the ingredients are super expensive now and almost impossible to find good knuckle bones, etc.

28February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though we just had hot dogs, Dane decided he wanted brats tonight. We've been super busy with workers in and out all day....and we have a meeting at 7 tonight. I don't think he wanted anything heavy. His other choice was beef short ribs. (guess what we're having tomorrow evening??)

February 2020 - Page 2 02_03_10

29February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:That surely is a lot of work cutting the (diced) meats for chili. Well worth it though. I have an old oster meat grinder that has a large die plate that cuts course size pieces. It's a hand saver.  No

Good for you, Jimmy!

30February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:56 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I don't make chili 'cause none of us can eat it anymore, but I used to have my chuck ground at the store in what is called a "chili grind". I used to work at a place that had an annual chili cook-off. One thing I learned is that no one ever used ground meat - it was always a fine mince. I don't know if this was just a local trend or if it the norm for all chili cook-offs. I can still laugh at the names of some of the teams names - "Fast-Gasss" was one.

I don't even like that "chili grind" the grocery makes -- it's still ground. Never heard of minced meat being used, Debbie, but then "minced" down here means very finely chopped. Maybe minced means something different in your neck of the woods.

I use mainly boneless chuck in my chili but also some Boston butt pork -- I cut all the obvious fat off the roasts and then cube the meat into 1/2-inch cubes. Like Jimmy said, it's a lot of chopping and my hands are usually sore after, as I usually make a big batch of chili so I can stash some in the freezer. But the texture after cooking is really nice.

Never grew up having chili. Never cared for what most people down here called chili as it usually was just spaghetti sauce with chili powder in it. But I watched a woman born and raised in Texas make it at a party. She chopped the meat and I really liked the texture of her chili -- and her chili was delicious. She was of the "no beans" sect and I don't put beans in it either but I know people swear by it both ways, and I always laughed at the arguments that that topic would spark online.

I always wondered why CANS of chili at the store often had "chili con carne" on the can, as that means "chili and meat." I always wondered who could make chili without meat. But then I read an article several years ago which said chili initially was JUST made with different types of chile peppers. The peppers were roasted first and then eventually ground up with liquid -- no meat was put in it at all! So that finally explained "chili con carne"...

Sure wish I had a big bowl of chili in front of me right now...

31February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Would you believe, Tina suggested chili for supper. Who knows with super bowl today?
I know we have those little hot dogs in the wraps to bake!
Chiefs are the team we are rooting for.

We were rooting for the Chiefs, too, Jimmy! Number one, we used to be in the same division as the 49ers and the old L.A. Rams, when they were both really good teams. It was like being in the same division as today's New England Patriots! So lots of people down here STILL dislike the 49ers, and we're in that number. Once they started stinking up the place along with the L.A. Rams, the NFL created the NFC South. We just wish they'd have done it 20 years sooner!

32February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I guess it's all a matter of personal taste.  I much prefer my homemade chicken stock to purchased beef stock.  I just don't have time to make beef stock anymore ~ and the ingredients are super expensive now and almost impossible to find good knuckle bones, etc.

I agree but I use a recipe to make canned stock to taste homemade. It makes it better but not homemade tasting. I also add some Better Than Bouillon beef.

33February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I made some ghee today. I was hoping to get some type of spreadable butter. I got it but I need to add some salt. Most of the salt in the butter went south to the bottom of the pan. I can't say I would like to eat it unmelted. It has a texture that I don't care for but using it on toast or vegetables would be fine. I have a butter bell but the butter has a tendency to drop out of the top into the water.

How much butter did you start out with, Debbie? It's a pain to make so I buy it, a couple jars at a time. We keep it in the cabinet so it's always room temp, which we like. I often use both ghee AND olive oil when sautéing things, as we like the resulting flavor from the combo.

Our butter bell will do that in summer, too, when it's warmer in the house.

34February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Joe is having a porterhouse steak and a baked potato. Katie is having last night's shrimp and a baked potato. I am having a couple of bites of Joe's steak and potato.

Does anybody use a Butter Bell?

Yep, as you saw from my last message...

35February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I was reading an article from The Kitch'n where they tried 4 recipes for French onion soup. Their winner was from Serios Eats. I thought I would make a half batch and see what I thought. It was o ne of the worst tasting soups. I am waiting for it to cool down so I can put it down the garbage.

Bugs, was it the recipe for Soupe à l'Oignon Gratinée?  I just looked at that and didn't see anything in the recipe that would make a bad tasting soup.  The recipe called for 'true' caramelized onions, homemade chicken stock, a suggestion of a bit of fish sauce and cider vinegar.....nothing that would be off-putting.  Can you post the recipe you used?  

Now you have me curious.....

Here's a link to the recipe I saw:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/french-onion-soup-recipe.html

Yes, that was the recipe. I followed it to a T and it was awful. I think the problem was the use of chicken stock. I don't think it belongs in French onion soup. I prefer to have a beef based stock. My crockpot French onion soup is much better. Kenji Lopez-Ault is a graduate of MIT and wrote a cookbook that really goes into the science of cooking, and usually he is right-on, but not this time.

I agree with what the opening paragraph said about store-bought chicken broth being WAYYY better than store-bought beef broth, which I rarely buy because I never like its flavor.

Though I often use store-bought low-sodium chicken broth -- I NEVER use the NO SALT kind as it's tasteless -- instead of beef broth, I will often add a tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Roasted Beef Base to it and you'd never know I used anything but beef broth. But I can't see using it in French Onion Soup, as that has such a pronounced beef flavor.

I've got a great recipe for homemade beef broth but it's expensive to make as it uses a lot of BEEF in addition to soup bones. I once made a recipe that sounded wonderful for Onion Soup from Saveur. I heard an attorney at work saying she'd wanted to make it, too, and I ended up copying it from the magazine for her when she accidentally threw her copy away. I made homemade beef broth too as I wanted it to be perfect. It wasn't very good at all but it didn't need to be thrown away. After that, I swore I'd never make it again and would just enjoy it when eating out. But it's never the soup I order in a restaurant because N.O. restaurants always have such interesting soups that onion is never what I end up ordering...

36February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Even though we just had hot dogs, Dane decided he wanted brats tonight.  We've been super busy with workers in and out all day....and we have a meeting at 7 tonight.  I don't think he wanted anything heavy.  His other choice was beef short ribs.  (guess what we're having tomorrow evening??)

February 2020 - Page 2 02_03_10
Yumm! ....

37February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Frozen that we wrapped, pizza tonight.
I made a banana bread. Huh! Jimmy the non-baker.
The kids and the baby and son jimmy and wife are all sick with type A flu.
Tina is cooking a big pot of soup with backs. After a couple hours, she will strain the bones out and add boneless breast meat to cook in the soup.
The kids will only eat white meat.

38February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I made some ghee today. I was hoping to get some type of spreadable butter. I got it but I need to add some salt. Most of the salt in the butter went south to the bottom of the pan. I can't say I would like to eat it unmelted. It has a texture that I don't care for but using it on toast or vegetables would be fine. I have a butter bell but the butter has a tendency to drop out of the top into the water.

How much butter did you start out with, Debbie? It's a pain to make so I buy it, a couple jars at a time. We keep it in the cabinet so it's always room temp, which we like. I often use both ghee AND olive oil when sautéing things, as we like the resulting flavor from the combo.

Our butter bell will do that in summer, too, when it's warmer in the house.

I only made a small amount - 2 cubes.

39February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had my banana bread for breakfast. It came out good. Not wet, not dry, and not sweet.
No lunch today. I made chicken salad for Tina from some breast meat that was leftover. Tina mommy is on her way to her uncles. His bread was green. Moldy.
She will get him his bread and whatever he needs. Plus....she has to pay his taxes at the town hall.

Supper I would like sloppy Joes. Or chili ? ? ?

40February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Cookin Lore

Chicken thighs in the oven, as well as a Haselback potato.  Will cook some carrots and cauliflower to go along with it.  

Am getting down to the final "stuff" to get ready for my cruise with both my sons and daughters-in-law as well as another ten of their friends. This will be fun!

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

41February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:OMG! My friend's daughter is engaged. She has been dating a divorced man with 3 kids. He has a good paying job. Not sure what it is, but her engagement ring is a huge canary diamond and cost $150,000. YIKES!!! I would never, ever want anything like that. I would be too afraid to wear it in public but I am happy she is marrying someone who can afford things like that. She and her sister are terribly spoiled and are not accustomed to doing without. Her other sister was getting married and bought a $7,000 wedding dress. Later she decided she didn't want it and mom paid $25,000 for another. She lives in a different universe from me. Same with Kim Kardashian: she has 9 refrigrators in her house.

Congratulations and all the best for your friend's daughter. My wedding dress was $39.95, marriage was 51 years. We were lucky, we had two refrigerators! LOL

42February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was a 'Get Outta Dodge' day! Boy, I needed it ~ out of the house and away from 3 guys pounding, sanding, ........... just BEING HERE!!!

Lyn, Barb & I went to Mt. Dora, a tourist-y town about an hour away. Lots of little shops with unique stuff to look at. We went to a little restaurant in an alley (we've been there before....) called The Goblin. Really quite nice and usually a little pricey but today it wasn't bad at all. We all had lunch with tea or soda for around $20.

Barb had a spinach salad that we all agreed 'won' for presentation:

February 2020 - Page 2 02_04_11

Lyn had a lamb burger (one of her favorite burgers) that came with a 'green harissa' (which was parsley, cilantro & jalapeno ground together into a paste ~ which she requested on the side as she's not a lover of spicy) and an absolutely delightful orzo pasta salad with some finely minced vegetables and a very light dressing.

February 2020 - Page 2 02_04_12

I chose the daily lunch special, a shrimp salad with sprouts and super thinly sliced pickled fennel and dill. It was delicious. Came with an interesting white basalmic vinegarette.

February 2020 - Page 2 02_04_13

43February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Very nice presentation.

A local store has a special on choice NY steaks for $2.99/lb. You are only allowed one paackage and have to sign in on your account to get it. 4 steaks to a package. I will pick up a package.

44February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:34 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had the sloppy Joes...

45February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 am

Cookin Lore

Those salads look great......... P.S.  That middle picture is a lamb burger?  I thought it was a doughnut and thought it a strange combination.  Guess that's gravy! LOL

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added information)

46February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is cold this morning - 24 degrees for sunny CA. Burgers on the grill tonight. Got to eat early so Joe can digest it before going to bed. Prolly around 3Pm at the latest.

The weirdest thing keeps happening to me. I keep seeing my cats out of the corner of my eye. I miss them. I have some cat food I am going to donate to a cat rescue group. Katie's cats won't eat it.

47February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Those salads look great......... P.S.  That middle picture is a lamb burger?  I thought it was a doughnut and thought it a strange combination.  Guess that's gravy! LOL

No, the lamb burger came on a pretzel bun, I think. The dark green in the little container was a 'green harrisa', a spicy condiment meant to be added to the lamb.

48February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:It is cold this morning - 24 degrees for sunny CA. Burgers on the grill tonight. Got to eat early so Joe can digest it before going to bed. Prolly around 3Pm at the latest.

The weirdest thing keeps happening to me. I keep seeing my cats out of the corner of my eye. I miss them. I have some cat food I am going to donate to a cat rescue group. Katie's cats won't eat it.

That's an excellent thing to do. The groups can always use food & supplies.

49February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was at the store the other day I saw some beef short ribs that were 'on sale' ~ $0.52 per pound under the normal price on sale.  Normally I would laugh and pass them by ~ but once I saw them I WANTED THEM !!!
So, tonight I made braised beef short ribs, noodles w/gravy and freshly cut Swiss chard.  I don't remember what the package cost but it was worth every penny!  YUM!!!

February 2020 - Page 2 02_05_11

50February 2020 - Page 2 Empty Re: February 2020 Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 pm

NormM

NormM

I have two or three individual sized butter bells and I made a few on the potters wheel but don't have any of those now.

I saw a recipe for beer battered chicken that i thought might be good with catfish so I tired it as written for chicken. I had a couple extra thighs and tried another recipe for them that was baked.February 2020 - Page 2 20200210

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum