Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month??

+3
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was pretty good....the squash looked really good ~ it was really a good color. But it had a slight 'green' taste, as if it should have stayed on the vine a few more days/weeks. It was edible but not what I'd have wished. The collards were really tasty. This is the time of year we get the best and freshest looking ones that aren't dried out or wilted.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 12_26_10

NormM

NormM

Beth, I usually boil collards and they don't reduce down very much but the last time I did them, I cooked them in a skillet with only the water that stayed on them after rinsing. They cooked down a LOT and I thought they were bitter tasting when cooked like that. I do always trim off the central stems.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, I always do mine the same way....

I sweat a chopped onion and (usually) a couple hot peppers. When they're soft I'll add some red pepper flakes to bloom in the oil and a tablespoon of brown sugar. The 90-something old Southern woman who told me how to make collards swore the brown sugar was the key to not having any bitterness.

Then I add about 1 cup of ham hock stock that I've previously made and store in the freezer after de-fatting. I also add any of the hock meat I've shredded and stored. Then, when it's at a boil I start adding handfuls of the cleaned & sliced collards. Like you, I remove the stem and entire center vein.

This time I only simmered them for about 30 minutes and they were just the way I wanted.

NormM

NormM

That sounds pretty much how I do them too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I grew up with all greens whatever was available....thrown in a pot and sweated down with garlic; chunks of Pecorino Romano cheese and fennel seeds, in water and simmered for 2 or 3 hours.
"Minestra"--- ( Italian ) It was a thing to have almost every day for lunch. Served with grated Romano cheese and bread.

.................................................................................................................
Today was whatever leftover one could find in wherever the containers were in the fridge. I'm trying to flush my stomach out with tea and an occasional Tums chewable tablet.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I ate too much this last 2 days, we had my Eye round roast, next time I'll go back to my rib roast, I was not satisfied how it turned out, though nobody complained, I should have spent more $50 to buy that Rib-eye roast, I'll post the pictures later, I can't find my camera now. On Christmas day we went to morning mass with my in-laws and breakfast at Coco's afterward, that was a big breakfast for us, for dinner we ate ham, baked potato, steamed veggies, and cherry pies from coco's for dessert

Today we ate light meal after the holiday feast, I made some spring rolls, I stuffed them with steamed zucchini and carrot "noodles", 2 minutes in microwave, seasoned with salt and black pepper only, added some shredded leftover rotisserie chicken and cilantro, it turned out so good and refreshing

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 10842210
DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 80680610

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

we want to wish you a Merry Christmas to you all and may you have a blessed New Year DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 Nativi10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda.... it looks so good!
We ate too much the past two days. I told Tina I felt bad committing eating food gluttony! I hope it was a venial sin! hahaahaha

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thank you Imelda, and same to you and your family.
God Bless...and Peace Be With You!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I ate too much this last 2 days, we had my Eye round roast, next time I'll go back to my rib roast, I was not satisfied how it turned out, though nobody complained, I should have spent more $50 to buy that Rib-eye roast, I'll post the pictures later, I can't find my camera now. On Christmas day we went to morning mass with my in-laws and breakfast at Coco's afterward, that was a big breakfast for us, for dinner we ate ham, baked potato, steamed veggies, and cherry pies from coco's for dessert

Today we ate light meal after the holiday feast, I made some spring rolls, I stuffed them with steamed zucchini and carrot "noodles", 2 minutes in microwave, seasoned with salt and black pepper only, added some shredded leftover rotisserie chicken and cilantro, it turned out so good and refreshing

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 10842210

I'm sad your beef roast didn't turn out how you had hoped. I'm sure it had good flavor but just not what you had planned. I know everyone enjoyed the entire meal you made and were thrilled to be enjoying a meal with the family.

Your spring rolls do, indeed, look light and refreshing. I have some rice wrappers in the cabinet but never seem to try to make something with them as I've never made them before. I know they need to be put into water to soften but then they are difficult to wrap without tearing. I know I should just give it a try but I've never seen anyone make them in person to watch and find out the 'tricks' to doing it right. I wish I could live next door to you for a while so I could come and watch you to learn!

NormM

NormM

Hope your Christmas was a happy one too Imelda. I always avoid any roast from the rump or round. I don't know how to make them taste as good as other roasts.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Hope your Christmas was a happy one too Imelda.  I always avoid any roast from the rump or round.  I don't know how to make them taste as good as other roasts.

A lesson to learn, I usually used chuck roast for my roast beef and we like it, for the last 3 Christmas I bought rib-eye roast and I like it, oh well, next time better

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:

I'm sad your beef roast didn't turn out how you had hoped. I'm sure it had good flavor but just not what you had planned.  I know everyone enjoyed the entire meal you made and were thrilled to be enjoying a meal with the family.

Your spring rolls do, indeed, look light and refreshing.  I have some rice wrappers in the cabinet but never seem to try to make something with them as I've never made them before.  I know they need to be put into water to soften but then they are difficult to wrap without tearing.  I know I should just give it a try but I've never seen anyone make them in person to watch and find out the 'tricks' to doing it right.  I wish I could live next door to you for a while so I could come and watch you to learn![/quote]

It's a bit harder to use rice wrappers than the eggroll wrappers, we need to soak them in warm water, some small tears here and there, but the wrapper is flexible ( I hope it's a right word to use Wink ), so it's not too hard to make a quick rolls, using zucchini and carrots to replace the rice noodles, surprisingly turned out very good. I like the idea living next door to you, I can learn a lot of cooking tricks from you. I went to my friend's house, she taught me make peanut brittle in microwave, caramel candy and some other candies and cookies, it was fun

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, I've always said it would be wonderful if we could all come together at a facility where they have multiple kitchens set up, like at America Test Kitchen or The Food Network so we could all cook and watch one another and have fun learning from each other. I don't know how to make it happen but it's a nice dream, anyway.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I spoke with my brother.....we're SO close.......he calls me on my birthday (if my sister-in-law reminds him.....) and I call him on his birthday.

She mentioned he had a heart stent put in last week.  (he's fine, apparently)

Yeah, we're super close.....

Razz Razz Razz

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I tried making stollen again with a different recipe and changing some things to make it turn out more like I wanted.  It was a lot better.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 0-210

Looks pretty, Norm!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:OK I have a question, somebody.  Whenever you read a recipe for potato pancakes, it says to soak them in water to remove the starch.   I always thought starch would help them stick together but do it anyway.  Today I was reading a recipe from Fine Cooking.  It says to soak the grated potatoes in a bowl of water. So far so good but then after draining and drying the potatoes, it says

"Transfer the potatoes to a medium bowl and using your hands, mix in the onion, egg, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Carefully pour off the reserved potato soaking water to get to the white gluey starch on the bottom of the bowl. Transfer the starch to the potato mixture and mix it in with your hands."

HUH? why remove the starch and then put it back in? What are they doing? Why soak them in the first place if you put the starch back in.

edit. Well, I don't always soak the potatoes and have not noticed any real difference between when I do and when I don't.

I don't soak my potatoes either, Norm. I grate my onions and then add my grated potatoes to the onions. Then I toss that mixture with a few teaspoons of lemon juice, then with some flour, salt and pepper, and a couple of lightly beaten eggs. Then I transfer all that to a colander set over a bowl so the potatoes will release juices, but I don't mix anything back in.

I almost made latkes on Christmas instead of roasted garlic mashed potatoes as we both really love them.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So far, I had an egg whites egg and cheese on toast, and a coffee.
( The whites are colored yellow ) No mess; no fuss! Just pour from the container.
Tina's on way home from shopping for her uncle an hour away. She did some laundry for him, and gave him slices of the ham we had for his lunch, and potato salad. Plus his gifts.

I guess leftovers here for the next few days...... ?

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:Today we ate light meal after the holiday feast, I made some spring rolls, I stuffed them with steamed zucchini and carrot "noodles", 2 minutes in microwave, seasoned with salt and black pepper only, added some shredded leftover rotisserie chicken and cilantro, it turned out so good and refreshing

Mmm, Imelda, your spring rolls look divine! So glad you're back posting again!

Crybaby

Crybaby

A belated Merry Christmas to all of you!

Brian's weekly chemo is normally on Wednesday, so we have to go twice next week (once for blood work on Monday, and once for chemo on Tuesday) like we had to do this week as well. It'll be nice to go back to once a week again, as it's a lot of work for Brian to get in and out of the house. But we've got it down almost to a science now.

We've been "warned" by the gas company for months that work will be done on our block and the work started a couple of weeks ago. They're tearing up the old gas lines under the sidewalks and also the connection to the houses with gas (which connection for us is in the alley to the left of our house) and replacing them with newer lines that will be easier for the company to read. This is stressful for us as I had to make sure they knew Wednesday was chemo day so not to block the alley or I wouldn't be able to get Brian out and to the car. Then, with the change to Monday & Tuesday for two weeks straight, I had to meet with the guys again. They put heavy wood over the two places torn up we have to pass over, both in the alley and outside our gate on the sidewalk, so Brian can get past all that and out to the car with his walker.

Naturally, the gate, which has been hard to handle for years, started falling apart on me since we're now using it more often. So I hired a man I'd seen advertising on Nextdoor as specializing in iron and wood fences and gates who had a bunch of good reviews from regulars on the app. He did a nice job with what he could do given our situation. He straightened out the gate, including cutting a metal pole the gate is hooked to on one side; then he welded the metal pole back in a straight position and also cut a new hole on the other side for the slide lock to go into. He painted it (I had the white paint) for me as well. I thought the entire gate would have to be re-made but he said it wasn't necessary and ended up doing a really nice job on it. It's not perfect but it never was and it's a lot easier for me to open, close and lock than it was; looks better, too.

I'd love to have a key lock in the gate but it's just not set up for that unless I put in an iron gate. Wouldn't want that as the alley is not attractive enough to "host" a see-through gate, plus we're in an historic district so I'm pretty sure they'd want me to keep my wooden gate given the age and style of our home. They poured some new concrete right beyond our gate so the bottom of the gate had to be trimmed, as it was sticking right as it got to the higher-than-had-been-there-before concrete! Nothing is ever easy around here.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got some chicken tenders marinating in some buttermilk & chili garlic sauce to make pan fried tenders tonight (just panko crumbs). I've got some red beets I roasted off yesterday and peeled / stashed in the refrigerator. I think I'll make some of the baby potatoes and do a smash/fry on them.

Dane's stuck in a traffic jam on I-75 after picking up neighbor Jim at Orlando airport. They've been stuck in stopped traffic since 1:30 ~ it's not almost 4:30 p.m. I just called him and asked if he was sorry I wasn't along for the ride......."NO" was his resounding reply! Hahahahaha!!! I've had such a quiet afternoon of doing nothing. I know the liquor has been packed away, someplace in the garage attic so I just went to the liquor store to buy myself another bottle of Scotch because it sounded good to me. I don't drink often but I do enjoy an occasional Scotch & water ~ especially if I can just sit and enjoy it in the quiet.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

I forgot to take a pic of supper ~ but you've seen it before.

I made panko crusted chicken nuggets, fried smashed baby potatoes & red beets.

When Dane & Jim were FINALLY out of the traffic jam I talked to them and asked Jim if he wanted to come for a week night dinner. He was more than happy to say, "Yes".

It wasn't anything special but it was better than going out for fast food.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:A belated Merry Christmas to all of you!

Brian's weekly chemo is normally on Wednesday, so we have to go twice next week (once for blood work on Monday, and once for chemo on Tuesday) like we had to do this week as well. It'll be nice to go back to once a week again, as it's a lot of work for Brian to get in and out of the house. But we've got it down almost to a science now.

We've been "warned" by the gas company for months that work will be done on our block and the work started a couple of weeks ago. They're tearing up the old gas lines under the sidewalks and also the connection to the houses with gas (which connection for us is in the alley to the left of our house) and replacing them with newer lines that will be easier for the company to read. This is stressful for us as I had to make sure they knew Wednesday was chemo day so not to block the alley or I wouldn't be able to get Brian out and to the car. Then, with the change to Monday & Tuesday for two weeks straight, I had to meet with the guys again. They put heavy wood over the two places torn up we have to pass over, both in the alley and outside our gate on the sidewalk, so Brian can get past all that and out to the car with his walker.

Boy Oh Boy! ......always something as you said.
The explanation, and description of the alley and the gate, painted such a great picture for me. Even the slide bolt to affix the gate in the closed position!

Question? ...... Why cannot they do the blood test just before the chemo procedure?     Or is it in another medical facility?

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:

Mmm, Imelda, your spring rolls look divine! So glad you're back posting again!

Thank you Michelle, they were good, I should make them more often. Today we got invited to a homecoming party dinner at our parish hall, they served Carne asada with corn tortilla, cevhice and lots of chips, they were all good. For lunch I made some roast beef sandwich from my leftover roast beef, I sliced them thinly, spread some horse radish cream on my freshly baked Peasant roll, Dirk loves it

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 80404010

Here are the roast I made for Christmas Eve dinner, I had fun topping the bacon on top of my roast

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 Dscn6213
DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 10 Dscn6214

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! That came out beautifully Imelda.
My mom always made the eye round roast. She would make knife slits, and shove a whole garlic spear into the slit with her finger.
She would sear the roast in her cast iron pan, and then finish off in the pressure cooker for like 25 minutes at 5 psi steam pressure.

We make them by just salting and pepper, on the electric rotisserie for around 2.5 - 3.0 hours at 350 degrees. I slice it thin on the meat slicer. ( 2mm thick ) and serve it on buns just like Roy Rogers beef sandwiches. I make or buy extra beef juice to splash on the beef, or to dip it in. Oh so good!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum