Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month??

+3
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Christmas Eve Dinner with my family today.  There will be 12 of us.  Chicken wings and rice. (rice is cooked, then dumped into the pan that held the wings so that all the drippings and bits of crispies flavour the rice.  turkey breast with gravy and stuffing (Stovetop right out of the box) plain corn, oven roasted potatoes, grilled vegetable salad with chick peas, beet salad with feta, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers for munching early.

One daughter-in-law always brings something sweet for dessert.
Think I have enough????

Sounds like a menu you just may have had before.....don't you just love it???

And it's nice to know I'm not the only one who loves Stovetop Stuffing!

Cookin Lore

I don't generally make turkey, so that's new. Also the grilled vegetable salad is especially because one on my guests in his words "doesn't eat dead animals" He'd be happy with just veggies, dipm and my oven roasted potatoes, but I'm sure he will like the grilled veggie salad. I'm not making/serving any shrimp this time either.

Oh, I forgot.................. my sister made tourtiere (French Canadian meat pie) and gave me one.

bethk

bethk
Admin

One of our old members ~ you might recall ~ The Sweetest Pea (from Dayton, OH) use to make a French meat pie. I wonder if your sister's recipe is similar. Pea shared her recipe:

French Meat Pies [tourtiere]

this recipe will make five 9 inch pies.

3 lbs. ground pork
4 lbs. ground beef
3 cups of chicken broth
3 large chopped onions
2 Tbls. Bell seasoning [poultry seasoning]
1 large Tbls. ground allspice
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbls. Worchestorshire sauce
2 tsp. ground pepper
salt to taste

5 Med. potatoes cooked and mashed.
1 to 1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs

Mix all ingredients together, except potatoes and bread crumbs.

slowly bring to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. uncovered
add mashed potatoes and mix in very well, breaking up potato until it seems to disappear. Simmer for another 30 minutes. uncovered.

At this point taste for salt.

Take the pan off the heat and quickly beat in the bread crumbs. let cool.

make pies using your favorite pie crust recipe. Bake pies until crust is done and filling is hot, or at this point you may freeze the pies either unbaked or baked.

I prefer to freeze with the crust unbaked as the pies are fresher tasting if you don't bake the crust twice.
Don't forget the egg wash on the crust and also make sure you make some vent holes to let the steam escape.

I usually take the pies from the freezer a day ahead and thaw in the fridge and then bake at 375 until the crust is done and the pies is piping hot.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote: Also the grilled vegetable salad is especially because one on my guests in his words "doesn't eat dead animals" He'd be happy with just veggies, dipm  and my oven roasted potatoes, but I'm sure he will like the grilled veggie salad.   I'm not making/serving any shrimp this time either.

I wonder, might he prefer "live animals"??? LOL

I have a sister-in-law who has reminded me every time we share a meal that she's a vegetarian and doesn't eat anything with eyes or a face.....

You'd think after knowing me for over 50 years she would have figured out I don't have to be reminded ~ but the strange thing is she NEVER remembers I don't eat cheese....and if she invites us for a meal at her house EVERY dish is cheese forward ~ even the salads.  

That's why I always have a little baggie of beef jerky in my purse.......LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love phone calls on holidays ~ and for my daughter in Indiana (DD#1, the 'cooking' daughter) ~ Christmas is a 2-day deal with her in-laws arriving today.

She's making a lasagne for tonight and will have a rib roast tomorrow. She's got her lists prepared and 'post-it' notes in the serving dishes she'll use tomorrow (she really is a chip off THIS old block!).

She just called to ask an opinion ~ it's like being there in the kitchen with her.

Tori will be making Strawberry Pretzel Jello with her Grandma tonight to have tomorrow. That's a 'family tradition' with their family so it's great that Tori gets to make it with her. When I'm there we make our traditional orange cabbage carrot salad ~ something Tori & her dad have learned to love just like the rest of us. Joshua is the only one who isn't a fan and will pass on it. But that's OK, he's entitled to decide what he likes and doesn't like.

Bugster2

Bugster2

He might just get cereal for dinner.

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's a quiet evening here.....supper is done & cleaned up. I'll cook over at Lyn's tomorrow and we'll have a nice meal with the four of us.

Supper turned out really well. I braised the browned cubed steaks (lightly coated in flour) in a combination of beef consomme and chicken stock ~ I had added a bit of tomato paste, a splash of worchestershire sauce and about 1/4 c. of red wine. The mushrooms had been browned in the pan before I browned the meat so they were ready to give off that toasted mushroom taste.

The mashed potatoes were smooth and just the right thickness.....and the limas are still his favorite!

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 9 12_24_11

NormM

NormM

We are having dinner tomorrow at my sister's house. It will be a pot luck buffet with ham and chicken. Charlie and I had our Christmas Eve dinner tonight. We had Rib Roast, mac n cheese, Memphis coleslaw and potato pancakes.DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 9 0-310

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Beef cooked to perfection, Norm!

How did you and Charlie like the slaw?

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. I liked the slaw. Charlie didn't eat much of his but he said it was OK.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We are having a rib roast with a stilton madeira sauce tomorrow. Sides will be an onion casserole made with Burgundy wine and gruyere. Greens will be roasted asparagus.

bethk

bethk
Admin

That sounds like a perfect holiday menu, Bugs.

Merry Christmas to you and Joe!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Merry Christmas, and happy holidays to all....

God bless us all!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This eve, we had a fish feast.

Steamed clams, Fish stew with shrimp, museles, clams , calamari, scallops.
Salmon broiled and coated with a ginger maple brown sugar glaze.
Brie wrapped in a pastry crust. Peel and eat shrimp....fried breaded shrimp, and breaded coconut shrimp. Lobster bisque....

We walked away full. DD did all the prep and cooking.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Merry Christmas to all in our little forum family!

May the New Year bring good health and happiness to each and every one!

NormM

NormM

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 9 012
Merry Christmas everyone

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This eve, we had a fish feast.

Brie wrapped in a pastry crust. Peel and eat shrimp....fried breaded shrimp, and breaded coconut shrimp. Lobster bisque....

I thought it was the feast of SEVEN fishes......I count eleven.....((OK, maybe a repeat of one or two but I counted them as on their own))

Maria did a fabulous job! I cannot believe you'll all be eating again today............Merry Christmas to you and Tina and the entire family!

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This eve, we had a fish feast.

I have a friend who is Italian. It is always calamari for Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today, will be a Turkey breast, stuffing, ( two kinds....Tina's and stovetop ) mashed potatoes and gravy.
Smoked Butt cooks ham. Lasagna. Prime rib. Deviled eggs, potato salad.
brussels sprouts, corn , candied sweet potatoes.
Kielbasa smoked, and kielbasa fresh and braised with onions, and potato wedges.
Cheesecake, and a variety of cookies that DD Maria baked last week.

Bottle of Tums, and a fresh bottle Mylanta for Tina's stomach.

Bugster2

Bugster2

GOOG! Sounds like the last supper. YUMMY!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was outside this morning during a break in the rain when I heard this noise coming from the roof. An object came flying off, bounced on the cement and landed in the pool. I looked at it and had no idea what it was. I fished it out and found it was a rib roast bone. Why was it on our roof? Bird? Animal?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Manna from heaven???

Hahahahahaha! Good thing it didn't hit you or you would have forever been known as 'the bone-head'!

Bugster2

Bugster2

SO TRUE!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight will be pork.....braised pork steaks. I've got a pot of collard greens on the stove now. I've decided I like them cooked less as opposed to really soft so they should only take about 25 - 30 minutes to cook. It never ceases to amaze me how I can have a sink FULL of sliced collard leaves and it cooks down to about 2" of cooked greens.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I was outside this morning during a break in the rain when I heard this noise coming from the roof. An object came flying off, bounced on the cement and landed in the pool. I looked at it and had no idea what it was. I fished it out and found it was a rib roast bone. Why was it on our roof? Bird? Animal?

santa santa rendeer

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum