Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month??

+3
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 12]

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:My MIL would set a time for dinner and we would all arrive around that time except for Joe's brother who would show up 3 hours later because he was out jogging and then would have to take a shower. She would make us all wait for him. It drove me nuts. I don't think that way. If I know he is out jogging, I would serve dinner without him.

I'm the same way as you Deb. I could see if the guy was at work, and came home for dinner; that's a different story.
Tina's brother on the other hand, is always late.We tell him dinner is at 4; just to get him here for the real time for dinner at 5. Evil or Very Mad

Katie is always late and it drives me crazy. If we are going out someplace and tell her we have to leave by a certain time, she will always be 1/2 hour late. If the house was on fire she couldn't get out in time. I can get up, get dressed and be out of the house in 5 minutes. What is the worst is that she rarely has all of her makeup done and finishes up in the car. She uses a safety pin to separate her eyelashes while the car is moving.

Right now she is cleaning all of the dishes out of her room. We ran out of bowls and spoons.

Cookin Lore

My son and DIL are soooo punctual, I have said that I think they sit outside in their car and look at the clock "no, it's not 6 yet, we're invited for 6, not 5:50" LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm still not able to email to myself from my phone. I guess I'll have to stop somewhere and see if someone can explain to me what's wrong.....

I didn't know what to fix for supper. Finally, Dane came up with a suggestion of hot dogs. thank goodness I had four in the freezer. Plus some of the brioche buns.

I opened a can of Bush's Baked Beans and finished off the 6 potato chips in the bag ~ and that was supper.

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was emptying the dishwasher this morning I must have twisted wrong ~ felt like a knot tightened up in my hip socket.

I've been unable to walk or sit or even lie down all day.

I tried taking some Advil, I rubbed on some Blue Emu Cream that Dane suggested....he said it would take all the pain away. ((wrong)) I've been on a heating pad and that just makes me all sweaty.

If it doesn't let up soon I'll go to my remedy of last resort......scotch. enough of that and I should at least be able to fall asleep ?? or pass out......LOL

Cookin Lore

Scotch sounds good! I'm going to put a potato in the oven for myself, and some Lake Erie fish..  

Am prepping veggies for our building's Christmas party tomorrow.  Carrots, celery, cauliflower, coloured peppers, cukes.  For approx. 70 people.  I've been nibbling on the cut-offs, of course, but need some protein also.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, if it doesn't clear up in a day or so, go to the doctor and get some stronger pain meds. Doesn't sound like you can even sleep with that kind of pain.

Today was a day of delivery disasters. UPS is brutal. I ordered 2 media storage stands and both came smashed. Something from Amazon arrived with parts missing. Walmart says my orders have been delayed. It's that time of year.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm making that old 1960's favorite ~ Sweet & Sour Pork, using the Better Homes & Gardens recipe ((with MY adjustments & additions.....)).

I think the original just had green pepper, onion & pineapple chunks. I've learned we prefer to add more vegetables: drop the green peppers because they cause both of us distress....switch to red pepper, onion, carrots, celery, pea pods & pineapple tidbits (because they're smaller and then it goes further). I'm using the trimmings from a twin package of pork tenderloin that I cleaned of fat & silverskin. Now I have a couple nicely shaped tenderloins in the freezer and about 12 oz. of cut pork that will take just moments to brown and be nice and tender in the dish.

I'm going to try some new brown basmati rice, hoping it's as tender and flavorful as the white has been. I rinse it three or four times and then I noticed it was suggested to soak it for 20 minutes to have longer grains. So, I'm giving it a try.

I have all the veg sliced/chopped so it will only take about 20 minutes to pull it all together on the stove. The rice will get cooked in the microwave and fluffed with a fork before sitting for at least 10 minutes before we eat.

DD#1 sent Christmas presents early ~ so tonight I'm using a gift.....a 12.5" nonstick wok. I had to give away my favorite 12" Calphalon nonstick wok because it wasn't induction safe. And it was the pan I used for EVERYTHING. This one is a Cook King with a see-through lid. I think it's going to be my new favorite!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, how are you feeling? Did the pain go away?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Beth, how are you feeling? Did the pain go away?

Yes, it was just a 'one-day' pain in the hip.....I had the heating pad on off & on most of the night ((so, naturally, I didn't get a whole lot of sleep)). But by this morning there's just a bit of soreness in my hip joint, kind of normal for me, especially if I do much walking on hard surfaces (like concrete or blacktop streets).

But I'll survive. thanks for asking.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was really good. It's funny how something from long ago can really hit the spot for a meal!

The new pan did a beautiful job and will soon be my 'favorite', although my cast iron will continue to be my most used, I'm sure.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had an omelet stuffed with potatoes O'Brien, cheese, bacon. Joe added some chili to his.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had the spaghetti ( vegetable made ), and two meatballs. THe spaghetti tasted funny, and I vote....no more of that for me.
DD made wings in the air fryer. I had one. Not dry and crispy enough for me.

Cookin Lore

I'm having leftovers from our Christmas party in my building. cheese, sweets, colbassa and wine. OK wine is not leftover. We had way too much food, attendance was low, it was 2-4. Open HOuse. I think next time it has to be 7-9. Leftover food will be taken to a local drop in center for people down on their luck. All food was fingerfood.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cream of broccoli soup with crackers, and a slice of Digiorno cheese and doctored up pepperoni pizza, that DD baked in the oven.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, it's crummy that I still can't post any pics.....I called the Geeks and some guy is coming on the 16th to look at our printer that won't connect and my phone that won't email to the account I want it to send to.

When it rains, it pours with stupid technology.....

But, anyway, I digress......

Today I thawed out a meatloaf. I sliced one of the last two delicata squash and roasted it in the oven for about 20 minutes. I picked up some French green beans at Aldi that looked really fresh (our crop is about 4 days between pickings.....) and I was pleasantly surprised they were excellent. I just boiled them for about 5 minutes and they all cooked at the same rate. A bonus was they were all snipped and nice and neat in the package ~ fresh beans all the same size. Amazing.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was cleaning out the cupboard and found a package of Maruchan beef flavored ramen. Never had it before so I heated it up and gave it a taste. Then I let Joe have some. He said it tasted like a combination of skunk and tires. He was right on the mark. LOL

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:I was cleaning out the cupboard and found a package of Maruchan  beef flavored ramen. Never had it before so I heated it up and gave it a taste. Then I let Joe have some. He said it tasted like a combination of skunk and tires. He was right on the mark. LOL

Interesting............................. LOL, I have never had the honour of tasting skunk or tires. Only smelled them, that's disgusting enough for me. But, tires are very useful, now for skunks, they are pretty when you see them in the distance. Very Happy Cool Evil or Very Mad Laughing

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Cookin Lore wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I was cleaning out the cupboard and found a package of Maruchan  beef flavored ramen. Never had it before so I heated it up and gave it a taste. Then I let Joe have some. He said it tasted like a combination of skunk and tires. He was right on the mark. LOL

Interesting............................. LOL, I have never had the honour of tasting skunk or tires.  Only smelled them, that's disgusting enough for me. But, tires are very useful, now for skunks, they are pretty when you see them in the distance. Very Happy Cool Evil or Very Mad Laughing
DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 3 2876911673 DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 3 2876911673

bethk

bethk
Admin

Leftovers for supper.....I'm unable to make a stir fry or sweet & sour pork for two ~ so we're having a repeat for supper.

I'm going to a Christmas Concert at a local church with Jeanie this evening. It's as 'Christmas-y' as I get. (my decorated Christmas tree is still in a 'bag' and sitting in the garage ~ hasn't been uncovered for three years)

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a few batches of Christmas cookie dough and threw them in the freezer. I will pull them out just before Christmas and bake them. I also need to make a batch of Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream and freeze it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Leftovers for supper.....I'm unable to make a stir fry or sweet & sour pork for two ~ so we're having a repeat for supper.

I'm going to a Christmas Concert at a local church with Jeanie this evening.  It's as 'Christmas-y' as I get.  (my decorated Christmas tree is still in a 'bag' and sitting in the garage ~ hasn't been uncovered for three years)

Uncover it in the garage, plug it in, take a pic, and recover it. lol!

Cookin Lore

I'm still working on emptying my freezer. Now, it's just the bottom of my fridge, but I am amazed at how many packages I have kept in there. Took one out today that I thought were chicken wings, and then realized that they were what's left of a package of quail I bought Lord only knows how long ago! THey were sooooo freezer burned that they were not worth cooking. Three of them. I remember when I made the other three from the package, and they weren't worth eating either. Too many little bones, not much meat.

So, I took out another "mystery package" SURPRISE! It's a chicken breast, not freezer burned, and it's now in the oven. I've been on my own now for over 5 years, you'd think I have this shopping for one down pat.

My resolution once I've emptied this freezer is to not buy more than what I can use in a week. Pray for me, please!LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

My freezer is so crammed I feel like a hoarder.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:My freezer is so crammed I feel like a hoarder.

Ill bet ya I got you beat; or shall I say "My others" got yours beat! hahahahahaha

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

DD picked up a free roaming chicken from the butcher shoppe.
She baked it with carrots. It was really good, and well done.
Had cookies for dessert......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum