Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 13]

76Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, I'm glad you had a good shopping experience at Wal Mart. I shop at our two local stores probably every week. I'm not crazy about their meats, although the cryovac'd stuff that I would buy anyplace else is fine. If you check their prices on canned goods you will probably find they are much less than at the other national stores.

I do like many of their 'store brand' products. It always amazes me they can sell Wickles Pickles for as low a price as I've ever seen. It's usually at least $1 per jar less than at my Winn Dixie or Publix, let alone what Fresh Market charges! They have San Marzano whole canned tomatoes, too ~ another good priced item.

I think Wal Mart must have doubled their staff just to do the order filling. The only thing I don't like is when I go to their stores to shop all the 'order fillers' have little hand held devices that make an irritating "WOO HOO" noise as they scan each item put into the containers to sort the orders. That's all you hear, all over the store ~ as bad as people having conversations on their cell phones as they're walking down the aisles.

77Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Jimmy is ok.

Just in case you haven't noticed, Jimmy, WE'RE KEEPING OUR EYE ON YOU!

That's the price you pay for scarin' the bejeebers out of us.

78Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bought a London Broil at a local place that has amazing takeout food.  It's in the oven with two small baking potatoes.  

I went to Toronto yesterday to see "Come from Away" the musical about what happened in Gander Newfoundland (Canada) when 7000 people ended up being stranded there on Sept. 11 when the twin towers came down.  Have any of you seen it?  Amazing play, just showing our Canadian hospitality.

79Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My friend's daughter lost two friends in that mass shooting last night.

Joe has a cold so it will be Campbell's chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight.

80Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So sad, Debbie, that this world is full of crazies. There is no sense to this stuff happening.

81Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

To add insult to injury, there is now a huge fire burning in the area.

82Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh Dear Lord. When will this craziness ever stop? I heard on the tv, that it is due to copy cats that get set off like a fuse, and they do the same thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had pork steaks onions and potatoes that Tina braised slowly for a couple hours.
Had that with applesauce.

83Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:07 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

It won't stop. It is just a different form of terrorism.

There were several kids that had been at that Los Vegas massacre and this shooting. What are the odds of going through something like this twice?

I fed Joe some chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheese. Three hours later he was hungry again and he ate 1 1/2 baloney and cheese sandwiches. He also stole my last pint of ice cream and contaminated it with cold germs so I can't have any of it. Meanie.

84Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:11 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

All hell is breaking loose with the fire down here. Our friends are under mandatory evacuation and have gone to another friend's house to wait and see if their house burns. The winds are 55 MPH and the fire could easily reach the that house too. Up north they had a massive fire in Oroville today where the whole town had to evacuate. The entire town of Paradise is pretty much gone. My sister owns a lot up there. Thank goodness there was no building on it so for her it was just loss of vegetation.

85Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:It won't stop. It is just a different form of terrorism.

There were several kids that had been at that Los Vegas massacre and this shooting. What are the odds of going through something like this twice?

I fed Joe some chicken noodle soup and a grilled cheese. Three hours later he was hungry again and he ate 1 1/2 baloney and cheese sandwiches. He also stole my last pint of ice cream and contaminated it with cold germs so I can't have any of it. Meanie.

Tina said to send him to the store to get the ice cream. One for him, and one for you. Keep yours away from him. hahahahahaha

86Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Niagara Visitor

I received a message that there is a private message from this site.  I don't know how to open it.  Sorry. email me at livinghighinthesky@gmail.com Thanks.  

Its a dreary, dark, rainy day here, time to cook soup.  I went to the grocery store and found that they had a huge head and bones from a rainbow trout for $3.07.  So, seafood chowder is the plan!

87Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My friend still doesn't know if her house is still there. It must be agony. The whole city of Malibu is under manditory evacuation. Multi-multi million dollar homes can burn. The news said that everyone is bringing their livestock down to the beach and just letting them run free. Horses, pigs, chickens - you nameit, is on the beach.

88Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can understand wanting to bring your livestock to the beach and away from the danger.  I'm sure everything will get rounded up when the danger is over ~

I saw some inexpensive spaghetti squash the other day so tonight was a repeat of a meal from not long ago.  Fortunately, he now likes it and really appreciates the 'light' and low carb meal.  I know there's a lot of natural sugar in the tomatoes, but it's still something that Dane gets filled up on without feeling stuffed.

I did have a second serving of the spaghetti squash, with butter and s&p.....yum!

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 11_09_10

89Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wish I liked spaghetti squash. It seems like a nice way to eat your veggies. Maybe I will give it another try. Maybe my taste has changed, but I don't know. I only like butternut squash when it is in a sweetish, cinnamon spiked soup. There are a few other squashes I don't like either. Can't remember what they are. Haven't tried them all though. It is funny, there actually quite a few veggies I have never tried: rutabega, rhubarb, real sweet potatoes with the yellow flesh. Next time I am in Sprouts and feeling adventurous, I will give a few of those "mystery vegetables" a try. I know I don't like eggplant, broccoli rabe, most bitter greens (just can't handle the bitter aftertaste). I have had celeriac but can't remember what it tasted like. This should be interesting.
Katie won't be home for dinner, Joe is still sick, so I think scrambled eggs for dinner.

90Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I wish I liked spaghetti squash. It seems like a nice way to eat your veggies. Maybe I will give it another try. Maybe my taste has changed, but I don't know. I only like butternut squash when it is in a sweetish, cinnamon spiked soup. There are a few other squashes I don't like either. Can't remember what they are. Haven't tried them all though. It is funny, there actually quite a few veggies I have never tried: rutabega, rhubarb, real sweet potatoes with the yellow flesh. Next time I am in Sprouts and feeling adventurous, I will give a few of those "mystery vegetables" a try. I know I don't like eggplant, broccoli rabe, most bitter greens (just can't handle the bitter aftertaste). I have had celeriac but can't remember what it tasted like. This should be interesting.
Katie won't be home for dinner, Joe is still sick, so I think scrambled eggs for dinner.

I only like squash boiled after peeling and cubed. i.e. Pumpkin, yellow and green zucchini, and any acorn butternut squash. Gagoots! Italians call squash.
Salt and pepper, and a little butter.

91Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper, was Cream of celery soup with crackers. A cake doughnut for dessert.
Lunch was finish the beef soup....
Breakfast was a couple fried eggs over medium, with lightly buttered toast.

92Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:18 am

Niagara Visitor

When will the crazyness stop? The shootings? perhaps in a couple of generations if some sort of gun control becomes a reality................................ However, Australia has very strict control, so what happened recently?  A knife attack considered terrorism.

As for the fires, global warming.

Now, to my supper!  Grocery store had a  head and bones of a huge rainbow trout for $3.07, so seafood chowder was on my menu.  The head etc. still has a lot of meat on it, so the stock became really, really good.  I had a package of various little sea creatures in the freezer, added three more cans of clams.  

One of my neighbours knocked at the door to bring me an invitation to her hubby's 80th. b-day next week, so of course I asked "do you like seafood chowder"?  The answer was "absolutely"  So, I had her go down the hall to their unit and get a dish.  Corningware does a great job of also allowing something to be re-heated.  She said "Bruce will think he's died and gone to heaven!  

The rest has also been divi'ed up.  Good friend is going through chemo, she gets some today,  the rest is my lunches for the next couple of days, some goes into my freezer.  It was a big pot! I feel lucky that I can both do this financially and that friends love my cooking.

93Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 am

Niagara Visitor

sorry, double post

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

94Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The fires have always been a problem in California. This is nothing new or unexpected. Every year we have a major fire that wipes out areas. What we have here is a deadly combination: wind, low humidity, and brush. Up north in Paradise it is forest, wind, low humidity. Down here we have brush on the hillsides. It is needed to keep much of the land from sliding and impossible to eradicate unless you bring in the goats. They are man's best friend when it comes to clearing brush. So, you keep the brush but it dies and dries out and becomes a fire hazard. It burns. Then when rain comes you get deadly mudslides because the brush is gone. I think it is what is called a Catch-22 situation. Laguna Beach rents goats to keep the brush under control. Good idea. They should really do that everywhere. Those goats can climb even the steepest hillsides. What is so sad is that Thousand Oaks (where the shootings took place) not only has to deal with the tragedy of losing someone but they also have to run for their lives. Pepperdine University has the right idea: most of their buildings were built with fire in mind. They are at least fire-resistant. Faculty and students are hunkered down in the library. I saw cars and clumps of bicycles burning on the campus but the buildings are not. At least not yet. The fire is getting closer.

95Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:The fires have always been a problem in California. This is nothing new or unexpected. Every year we have a major fire that wipes out areas. What we have here is a deadly combination: wind, low humidity, and brush. Up north in Paradise it is forest, wind, low humidity. Down here we have brush on the hillsides. It is needed to keep much of the land from sliding and impossible to eradicate unless you bring in the goats. They are man's best friend when it comes to clearing brush. So, you keep the brush but it dies and dries out and becomes a fire hazard. It burns. Then when rain comes you get deadly mudslides because the brush is gone. I think it is what is called a Catch-22 situation. Laguna Beach rents goats to keep the brush under control. Good idea. They should really do that everywhere. Those goats can climb even the steepest hillsides. What is so sad is that Thousand Oaks (where the shootings took place) not only has to deal with the tragedy of losing someone but they also have to run for their lives. Pepperdine University has the right idea: most of their buildings were built with fire in mind. They are at least fire-resistant. Faculty and students are hunkered down in the library. I saw cars and clumps of bicycles burning on the campus but the buildings are not. At least not yet. The fire is getting closer.

What a scary ass situation to live in. To put it bluntly!

96Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I went to Toronto yesterday to see "Come from Away" the musical about what happened in Gander Newfoundland (Canada) when 7000 people ended up being stranded there on Sept. 11 when the twin towers came down.  Have any of you seen it?  Amazing play, just showing our Canadian hospitality.

Though I haven't seen the play, Lore, I STILL remember the amazing generosity and kindness of the people of Gander, as I'm sure millions of Americans do. Just another example by one of the United States' greatest allies, Canada! I saw a wonderful special on television years ago on Gander's treatment of its unexpected "guests" at one of the most grievous times in American history -- brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it!!!  

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 3561122519

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

97Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:The fires have always been a problem in California. This is nothing new or unexpected. Every year we have a major fire that wipes out areas. What we have here is a deadly combination: wind, low humidity, and brush. Up north in Paradise it is forest, wind, low humidity. Down here we have brush on the hillsides. It is needed to keep much of the land from sliding and impossible to eradicate unless you bring in the goats. They are man's best friend when it comes to clearing brush. So, you keep the brush but it dies and dries out and becomes a fire hazard. It burns. Then when rain comes you get deadly mudslides because the brush is gone. I think it is what is called a Catch-22 situation. Laguna Beach rents goats to keep the brush under control. Good idea. They should really do that everywhere. Those goats can climb even the steepest hillsides. What is so sad is that Thousand Oaks (where the shootings took place) not only has to deal with the tragedy of losing someone but they also have to run for their lives. Pepperdine University has the right idea: most of their buildings were built with fire in mind. They are at least fire-resistant. Faculty and students are hunkered down in the library. I saw cars and clumps of bicycles burning on the campus but the buildings are not. At least not yet. The fire is getting closer.

No worse than hurricanes and tornados. Chit happens.

98Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

No worse than hurricanes and tornados. Chit happens.

It's true that every area has its catastrophes and we all learn to deal with them as best we can. It's just that those fires come up so quickly, grow so quickly, move so quickly and leave nothing but scorched earth. I cry every night watching the news at those poor people who aren't even able to salvage a photograph from the ruins of their home. It's tough on all, of course, but we feel SO sorry for the elderly victimes as we just cannot imagine how you come back from such devastation; it's difficult for anyone but when you're elderly, EVERYTHING seems to be more difficult. We often hear of people who haven't been able to afford their homeowners' coverage, too, and have let it lapse. And of course when that happens, you've REALLY lost everything. I pray to God we're never in that type of financial situation but if we were, rather than cancel our homeowners' coverage, we would raise the deductible  -- even as high as $50k or $100k -- so we'd at least get SOMETHING if our house was lost in a catastrophe.

When we first bought this house 20 years ago, there was a hail storm (a first in my lifetime here) in N.O. about a year and a half later which hit Algiers Point particularly hard. It did $35k in damage to our home and totaled both of our cars. When our insurance adjuster was inspecting our roof for damage (it needed to be replaced in TOTAL, all the way down to the wood), I asked him why my neighbor's roof, which I could see from our upstairs windows, looked undamaged (we had an asbestos roof and the neighbor had a sealtab roof). He told me ALL the roofs in our neighborhood needed replacing. He pointed out how the sidewalk in front of the neighbor's roof was full of what looked like dark grey soot; he said THAT "soot" was the neighbor's roof and that it would no longer keep out the elements.  And he was right as he had to replace his, too, just not all the way down like we had to do. (We were on a waiting list for about 10 months to get our roof done due to the sheer number of people needing roof work. We had to wait even longer to get the siding done because it was a small job and there were big jobs getting the bids rather than the little jobs. We waited even longer to get the paint job!

We were extremely lucky as we'd purchased replacement value insurance on our home and the inspection prior to our purchase showed we would probably need a new roof in "5 to 10 years" -- so we figured it we'd have to replace it in probably 3 years. I got several estimates but one roofer, referred to me by a coworker who'd grown up with him, told me that since I had replacement value insurance, I shoudn't go with 25-year sealtab bids people were giving me due to the fact that asbestos roofs in their day were very expensive and were 50-year roofs! He said to simply tell our insurance adjuster that and he also volunteered to speak to him directly, which he did. So we were able to replace it with a faux slate roof which was very pricey and all we had to pay was our $1000 deductible. We had also just finished having our house painted and the insurance company paid for us to get it repainted. We have a wood house but the sides and back were covered with vinyl siding when it was renovated shortly before we purchased it and that had to be replaced as well but only on one side and a few pieces on the back of the house near the roofline. The siding guy, who also did painting, tried to talk me into taking off the siding rather than replacing it; he said it would increase the value of our home. I laughed, told him we hoped to die here so I really had no desire to increase its value at that time. Though it might increase the value of the house minimally to remove the siding, it would also substantially increase the price of a paint job to extremely expensive! (Our house is two-story but we have an attic on top of the house, so we have a third floor bedroom that we use as air-conditioned storage while the rest of the third floor remains a regular attic (has on the central air units and some of the AC ductwork, too). So a paint job for the whole house would mean the price of painting a three-story home -- not cheap no matter where you live -- versus just painting the front of the house, the balcony on the front and the windows and trim on all sides of the house. I tried to get the insurance company to replace ALL the siding but it wasn't that old so it hadn't faded enough to require all of the siding to be replaced -- the new stuff matched perfectly.

Our roof wasn't damaged at all in Katrina except for a few tiles coming off and some of the terra cotta ridge tiles needed replacing. But no leaks. The Corps of Engineers went all over N.O. while the City was draining (it took 2 weeks for the water to drain out but keep in mind we're mostly below sea level and in some areas the water was 20 feet deep; our pumping system could not operate until electricity had been restored to all areas where pumps were) and blue-tarped all the damaged roofs so more damage wouldn't occur when it rained. We laughed when we came home from Houston after 7 weeks in exile, we had a notice tacked to our front door from the Corps of Engineers saying they hadn't tarped our roof because nailing the tarp on would have damaged our "slate roof." I said, wow, that faux slate really did its job as it fooled the Corps of Engineers.

Brian of course reminded me that the Corps of Engineers was the entity that built the substandard levees that had failed in many areas causing 80% of the City of N.O. to flood, and is still considered the worst civil engineering disaster in U.S. history! Not only did they use substandard materials but they lied on their documentation and did not follow their own design, which was also poor, about how far down they used the proper structural material when building the levees. Experts examining the levees in N.O. after the storm equated their work to be like putting bricks on top of jello! And their "annual inspection" of all the levees each year was criminally negligent. The Corps tried to blame the Orleans Levee District did not do the federally mandated maintenance on the levees which was more of their crapola. The Corps ended up with yet more egg on their face when testimony post-Katrina showed the Corps' certificates given to the OLD from 1959 to 2004 showed the OLD did an outstanding job in maintaining the levees. The "drive-by levee inspections" reported by the media in 2005 were offered up as proof of malfeasance by the Orleans Levee District. But then the facts came out that 1) these annual inspections were conducted by the Corps, not the levee district, and 2) they were little more than ceremonial. The Corps' official audit of the levee district's year-round maintenance activities was completed well PRIOR to their drive-by inspection of over a hundred miles of levee! Testimony and records showed their "inspections" took less than two days and more attention was given to which highly-rated N.O. restaurants they were going to have lunch at each of the two-days. The lunches also lasted from 2 to 3 hours each day so their "inspections" lasted an average of 4 hours a day for two days! But, of course, the government is immune from lawsuits so the Corps wasn't punished.

Forgive me for going on so long about this but New Orleanians often find people STILL think the levees here were OVERTOPPED in Katrina and they were not -- they failed in more than 90 places. Even some of our "esteemed" U.S. Senators still make remarks to that effect after other states suffer weather-related tragedies.

99Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is so much corruption in the government that it is mind boggling.

100Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know what to fix for supper but got a pound of ground chuck out of the freezer this morning. I looked at it every time I walked into the kitchen hoping inspiration would hit me in the head like a brick from the ceiling......

I finally decided on the Cuban Picadillo ala 'my way'.....not Cuban at all but I can call it whatever I like! LOL I used a bit of the yellow coloring stuff in the rice to pretend it is 'yellow rice'.

I'm such a Dweeb! Hahahahahaha

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 4 11_10_10

We'll be gone all day tomorrow. Cheryle's oldest son, Danny, lost his oldest daughter a couple weeks ago, well, a couple months ago. She had been missing for a couple months and they found her remains. It's been awful for him, our hearts are breaking for all he's going through. She was only 23 years old and a single mom of 3 although the children live, I believe, with their fathers. There is no explanation yet and the case is still an open investigation.

So we'll be going to attend a memorial / celebration of life for her and to give whatever support we can to Danny and his son who flew in from California where he's stationed (he's in the Marines).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum