Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 13]

151Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had burgers that Joe cooked too long: carbon on the outside, dry on the inside.

Got some bad news. Joe's sister had breast cancer years ago and it showed up again in her spine in January. She had it treated and was on some meds but it is spreading. Joe's brother is having her flown out to CA to get better treatment. He has been helping her out financially and has flown her daughter out to see her. I hope they can do something to slow or stop the spread.

Maybe tacos tonight.

152Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prayers for your sister-in-law and the rest of the family......so sorry.

153Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I told Joe to tell his brother to take her to the City of Hope or the Keck Cancer Center at USC. Both of them are top-notch breast cancer centers. He is planning to take her to Hoag Hospital. They are great for melanoma but COH and KCC are better for breast. The men in Joe's family can't stand to be told anything so I don't know what will happen.

154Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:17 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Thank you for the picture. Now I can find it easily.

Laughed, as I know the feeling cause I'm the same way. Wink

155Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was a beef chuck stew that Tina made. It was great. DD and Boyfriend even ate some. They finished it up. No leftovers....WOW! They cook their own types of food, but nothing I will eat. i.e. fried chicken and kale wraps, on flat breads.
I Had two low carb biscotti for dessert with a coffee!

You're doing so well eating healthy, Jimmy. Have you lost more weight as I'll bet you have.

156Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I told Joe to tell his brother to take her to the City of Hope or the Keck Cancer Center at USC. Both of them are top-notch breast cancer centers. He is planning to take her to Hoag Hospital. They are great for melanoma but COH and KCC are better for breast. The men in Joe's family can't stand to be told anything so I don't know what will happen.

So sorry to hear that, Debbie. Where does his sister live that his brother thinks she won't get good enough care? I hope she gets better no matter where she ends up.

Joe's brother sounds like a really kind person, too.

157Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Went to get my nails done yesterday and Brian was itching to do something so I gave him a quick rundown on how to make beef stroganoff. When I came home, it was ready and damn good, too. The sauce was a little thick so all I did was adjust the seasonings and add some chicken broth to thin it out a bit. He really did a great job. Since we had no beef broth in the freezer, I told him to use the low-sodium chicken broth and to just skip using salt (I worried he would add so much of the roasted beef bouillon paste that it would be too salty. While we normally serve it with noodles, we had quite a bit of leftover rice left, so we had it with rice. He liked it better with the rice, too.

When I went to add the sour cream and dry sherry just before serving, I remembered that we were out of dry sherry. The last time I made this, I sent him to the local bar and restaurant near the ferry with a small canning jar to get some. I'm going to have to put it on the list when we hit the grocery this week for Thanksgiving. I want to get a bottle of generic (e.g., Taylor) dry sherry but also pick up a bottle of Dry Sack Sherry, as I enjoy Dry Sack over ice with a lemon twist occasionally. It's hard to find now unless you hit a liquor store but I'm hoping our local grocery has a bottle. Brian thinks dry sherry on the rocks tastes like cough syrup but he sure likes it in beef stroganoff and in turtle soup -- just can't believe I like it over ice.

158Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I made a recipe for Cheddar Chive Shortbread the other day. They're like crackers but with the texture of shortbread. They were delicious and we both loved them. I added some cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce when I creamed the cheese with the butter and boy, they tasted great but I really wanted more of a cracker texture.

I figured I'd add some cheddar cheese powder next time I make them to firm them up in an effort to make them more cracker-like. So I ordered some Vermont Cheddar Cheese Powder from Amazon -- it's made by King Arthur but though they had it for a couple of bucks cheaper, they wanted $8 to ship it so I got it from Amazon along with a jar of King Arthur's Everything Bagel Topping. I figured I'd put the bagel topping on half of the next batch of the crackers.

I also saw a tip online on how to make  from a woman who was trying to perfect a recipe for Goldfish crackers her littler girl loved. After she made the crackers and removed them from the oven, she waited for the oven to cool off for an hour and then put the tray of her "Goldfish" back in the oven and left them there overnight. So I'm going to try that too if my crackers aren't crispy enough upon cooling.

I also used a tip I'd read online to roll out the crackers. I put the "dough" into a gallon-sized ziplock bag and rolled it out using a rolling pin until it was a little thinner than 1/4-inch. Then I put that in the freezer for 10 minutes and cut the bag open. Cut them into rectangles right in the bag and then popped them onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. It worked out really well but I'm going to make sure I use a freezer bag next time instead of a storage bag so the bag won't wrinkle as much as the lighter weight bag did last time.  

159Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

The crackers were really quick to put together, which is good as I'm going to make my Orange Cranberry Sauce today, too, so that will be out of the way for next week. Thanksgiving kind of snuck up on us this year, as I didn't realize it was next Thursday! I have the turkey in a friend's freezer already and am only having one guest (my BIL) so I'm going to try to keep from making a ridiculous amount of food this year. Just a couple of hors d'oeuvres we can snack on, turkey, gravy, oyster dressing, Brussel sprouts with bacon and shallots, pearl onions in cream sauce and the homemade cranberry sauce. I'm also thinking of butterflying the turkey this year, as it's only 12 to 13 pounds. Knowing me, I'll wimp out and decide to roast it whole and try a butterflied one when we're not having a guest!

Brian laughed and said he didn't think I would be able to make just what I listed above for TDay -- he says I'll not only roast the turkey whole but will end up making wayyyy too much food. He's probably right.

160Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I told Joe to tell his brother to take her to the City of Hope or the Keck Cancer Center at USC. Both of them are top-notch breast cancer centers. He is planning to take her to Hoag Hospital. They are great for melanoma but COH and KCC are better for breast. The men in Joe's family can't stand to be told anything so I don't know what will happen.

So sorry to hear that, Debbie. Where does his sister live that his brother thinks she won't get good enough care? I hope she gets better no matter where she ends up.

She lives in Sedona, AZ and it simply doesn't have a comprehensive cancer hospital with all of the latest equipment, doctors, drugs. Beautiful town but small towns have their limitations. She will get much better care out here in CA. Plus she will have family around to help.

161Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

She lives in Sedona, AZ and it simply doesn't have a comprehensive cancer hospital with all of the latest equipment, doctors, drugs. Beautiful town but small towns have their limitations. She will get much better care out here in CA. Plus she will have family around to help.

Prayers and thoughts from here Debbie. DIL is a breast cancer survivor 20 years now. She did the stem cell treatment, but had to travel to the city area. Hackensack Medical Center.
We have a nice small hometown hospital, but not advanced enough for cardiac, or cancer care. Having a Baby is a great place to be, or a boo boo from a fall, but not for the intricate care sickness.

162Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Leftover shrimp with a fresh tomato wine, and garlic sauce.

ziti macaroni mixed in ..... I just winged it. .... DD made shrimp on the grill on skewers, and it was not cooked enough.... It didn't even turn pink! They were gray!

163Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Forgot to mention... 6 inches of snow on the ground already .... 28 F

164Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Brrrrrr! Boy, I don't miss the white stuff one bit, or the sleet and ice.....and COLD! We had a cold front come through and we're in the low 60's. that's bad enough.

Went out with the golf group so no cooking today or tomorrow. Tomorrow one of the English neighbors is making a traditional English Fish Pie, similar to a Shepard's Piebut made with an assortment of fish. Hopefully I'll remember to take some pics.

165Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:43 pm

NormM

NormM

I can't remember the last time there was this much snow that stayed on the ground as long before Thanksgiving

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

166Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:I made a recipe for Cheddar Chive Shortbread the other day. They're like crackers but with the texture of shortbread. They were delicious and we both loved them. I added some cayenne pepper and Worcestershire sauce when I creamed the cheese with the butter and boy, they tasted great but I really wanted more of a cracker texture.

I figured I'd add some cheddar cheese powder next time I make them to firm them up in an effort to make them more cracker-like. So I ordered some Vermont Cheddar Cheese Powder from Amazon -- it's made by King Arthur but though they had it for a couple of bucks cheaper, they wanted $8 to ship it so I got it from Amazon along with a jar of King Arthur's Everything Bagel Topping. I figured I'd put the bagel topping on half of the next batch of the crackers.

I also saw a tip online on how to make  from a woman who was trying to perfect a recipe for Goldfish crackers her littler girl loved. After she made the crackers and removed them from the oven, she waited for the oven to cool off for an hour and then put the tray of her "Goldfish" back in the oven and left them there overnight. So I'm going to try that too if my crackers aren't crispy enough upon cooling.

I also used a tip I'd read online to roll out the crackers. I put the "dough" into a gallon-sized ziplock bag and rolled it out using a rolling pin until it was a little thinner than 1/4-inch. Then I put that in the freezer for 10 minutes and cut the bag open. Cut them into rectangles right in the bag and then popped them onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. It worked out really well but I'm going to make sure I use a freezer bag next time instead of a storage bag so the bag won't wrinkle as much as the lighter weight bag did last time.  

It's like a great way to make and dry crackers. The baby Liam loves those goldfish crackers. Tina bought him a big multi pack yesterday.

I still prefer cheezits. The square ones with the little hole in the middle.

167Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I can't remember the last time there was this much snow that stayed on the ground as long before Thanksgiving

Norm ...... don't forget!

"Walk Like A Penguin!"

hahahahahahaha.....

8 inches on the deck and 29.4 F and snowing heavily. DIL is stuck in the airport in Virginia area. Heading home here, but looks like tomorrow instead. No

168Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

No snow here but it was 34° this morning. Got up to 66°. The winds are gone, thank goodness. When the winds leave the temp drops.

169Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:30 pm

NormM

NormM

Chicken cutlets and a (sort of) Alfredo sauce.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 20181119

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

170Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Poached egg on an english muffin for tonight.

171Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Snow removal crews weren't prepared for this.
It started as a 1 to 3 inches. Then update said 3 to 5.
Now it's 8 to 12 ......
Major roads are closed. Route 46 closed with vehicle accidents. Schooleys Mountain Road in Long Valley is closed.
Shame on the surrounding towns.

172Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

It has been cold here for the last two days. Love the cold but it was rainy for a couple of days. Today it was sunny and gorgeous -- high in the mid 40s, which I love, and not too windy. Too cold for Brian but it's going to warm up until the high this weekend will be 71. My idea of perfect weather.

It was fun wearing a sweater for a change and a jacket when I headed out to do a couple of errands.

Had leftover beef stroganoff for dinner tonight but since it was cold this afternoon, I baked some country style ribs in the oven with a light dusting of Mad Hunky rub. Will heat them up in the oven tomorrow and coat them with that Korean BBQ Sauce until sticky. The house smelled divine while they were cooking.

Left my cracker making and orange cranberry sauce until tomorrow. Heading to my new eye doctor tomorrow and am looking forward to getting new bifocal contacts with a new prescription. It will be so strange going to a new eye doctor (I selected a female this time, board certified).

My only other eye doctor retired a couple years ago and passed away last year; he was a doll and believe it or not, I'd been seeing him since 5th grade, the year JFK was shot. He gave me a professional discount for all the years I saw him as he used to work with my mom (an R.N.) for a couple of years when I was in grammar school! Even when he gave me a full eye exam (when they dilate your eyes), he STILL only charged me $50 and that was in 2015!!!! I outlasted three of the ladies who worked for him, and he only had three employees since I saw him. He must've been a dream to work for. The only reason he retired is Denise, who still worked for him on Saturdays in his N.O. office, finally told him she wanted to retire (she HAD retired but he asked her to come back and work every Saturday and she did). He was really ticked off at her, too, and when he sent a letter out, it said he didn't want to retire but was forced to! I laughed out loud when I read it and then cried when I realized our days together were finally over.

One year Brian and I found out a friend of ours hadn't been to the eye doctor in 20 years and was a lifelong eyeglass wearer. Said he couldn't afford it. We KNEW he desperately needed a new Rx so for an early Christmas present, I made an appointment for him with my eye doctor and told the woman who worked for him to bill me. She apologized and told me they would have to charge me $75 for his visit! I was astounded that they only charged a new patient $75 for a complete eye exam (he was an opthalmologist, too, not an optometrist).

I cried like a baby when he died. When Brian first started seeing him (he gave Brian the discount too since he was my husband!), he asked Brian where he was from and he said MA. Dr. Rumage had gone to school in NY and told Brian he used to visit a friend in summer when he was in college in MA. When Brian asked where, he said, "Oh, it was a little town on the Cape that no one has ever heard of." Brian said, "Try me," and he said it was Marion, MA. He just about died when Brian told him that was where he grew up.

Darling man. Still miss him. He hadn't performed eye surgery, of course, for years but he still saw patients. He told me he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he retired. During the week, he worked outside of N.O. where he went to work when Katrina devastated the city. Then worked on Saturday in Gretna (a suburb of N.O. very close to where I live) as he told me there was no way he could abandon his longtime patients even though he gave up his N.O. office when the building was sold and turned into condos. They don't make doctors like that anymore. They're all about the money and not so much about their patients. I know I'm going to laugh when I see how much an eye doctor charges today! I'll let you know...

173Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:22 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Brrrrrr! Boy, I don't miss the white stuff one bit, or the sleet and ice.....and COLD!  We had a cold front come through and we're in the low 60's. that's bad enough.

Brian said he's with you, Beth. He said anything below 70 is chilly. And anything below 60 is too damn cold!

174Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I can't remember the last time there was this much snow that stayed on the ground as long before Thanksgiving

Brian also remarked, Norm, when we watched tonight's national news how early it seemed to him to have such heavy snowfalls. It sure looked pretty to me but then I've never had to navigate in it. I've just enjoyed it while visiting MA. I'm sure getting up every morning when it's snowing and heading to work would be a drag. Brian said I'm a "picture window snow lover." He said all I know is oohing and ahhing snow while looking through glass while my tush is being warmed by a fireplace!

No matter how hot and humid it gets here, he says he knows he won't have to shovel any humidity!

175Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The New butter......
It's good; especially at $10.00 for the jar. It's unsalted.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 7 Img_1312

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum