Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2017...What's for dinner???

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

76November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This afternoon is a neighborhood Patio Party....everyone brings a dish to share, BYOB and a chair to sit in.

I'm taking leftovers!

I used the leftover Italian Beef Pot Roast to make Italian Beef Sliders on dinner rolls with mozzarella cheese and the leftover Cuban Picadillo to make Picadillo Empanadas ~ I found frozen empanada wrappers in the freezer section since I really didn't know which recipe of the many I found would be best to make.  It's fun to take something you don't know a thing about just to see the reaction you get from neighbors!

The food I took to the Patio Party was a huge success! ((what a relief!))

The best part of going to a pot luck party is coming home with empty containers. When asked for recipes it was almost embarassing to admit the pot roast recipe was the '3-pouch' dry mix one that Norm & I got from some lady named 'Bev' on the old Cooking.com forum. She had given the 'recipe' when the topic was "What's your BEST Crockpot recipe?". It sounded really strange to me at the time but has been a family favorite ever since the first time I made it.

The empanadas with the picadillo were really tasty, too. I wasn't absolutely sure how they would turn out since most of the recipes I saw suggested doing a deep fry with oil to cook the dough and make them crispy. But I really don't like to deep fry anything (such a mess) so I went with an egg wash on the dough rounds and baked them at 375° for 30 minutes or so until they got golden brown. No one really noticed the raisins (admitedly, I did chop them smaller than using whole ones) but the olive slices were very visible ~ and added a nice briney, salty taste. It's definately a recipe I'll use again sometime.

One of the neighbors brought a dish of baked beans, stated it was a Paula Deen recipe. And it was really tasty. It was canned beans with pineapple and BBQ sauce of some kind and French Fried Onions sprinkled over the top. Of course, I got my fill of the deviled eggs (always a winner), macaroni salad (a favorite of mine), salads and.....for dessert ~ RICE KRISPY TREATS! There was also a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and a brownie trifle. Way too much to eat and now I'm stuffed.

I'm hoping everyone wants to go out this evening to do our walk around the neighborhood at 7 pm ~ a great way to let supper settle and walk off the 'overly full' feeling!

77November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Next door neighbor Bob made 200 meatballs in sauce for a party he is attending; so he gave me and ''''''tina a foil pan with like 20 meatballs.
I had a few tonight, and with spaghetti. It hit the spot.
Tina had surgery today to see why she cannot hold food down, and why it won't pass.
They found a blockage, and a stuck flap. ??????... They dilated the blockage.
She can only have light things to eat. She had cheerio's tonight.
So far, so good.

78November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hello all, I'm back...I've been away for so long... I went back to see my my for more than a month, came back home 2 weeks ago.. and just log in now

I haven't read all the unread post yet, only this thread.. I want to wish a belated happy birthday for Cyndi, wishing you all the best

Jimmy, I'm glad you and Tina are doing okay now, I was worried when I read the news that you were in the hospital.. take god care of yourself and Tina

I have to watch my food intake too, my cholesterol is way too high, but my sugar is good on my last blood test.. I need to cut down my red meat which is so hard, I like to eat fatty food, meat with fat, chicken thighs with skin on

I came back to celebrate Dirk's birthday on the 7th, last Sunday we had a small gathering ( 6 couples ) at house with our friends from church, it was a good party, everybody enjoyed the food and the company.. I cooked Indonesian food, yellow rice molded in cone shape, special food for celebrations

cone yellow rice with spicy beef, potato ball fritters, spicy fried tofu, boiled eggs in spicy sauce, cut omelet
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 310

fried noodles with boiled quail eggs
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 610

chayote squash and long bean in curry sauce, it was a hit, they like the spiciness
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Dscn7910

the birthday boy was cutting the top of the coned rice
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Dscn7911

79November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, I just want to sit and watch you cook! Your meals are always so colorful and I'm sure they taste as good as they look. You can certainly see how pleased Dirk is to be the Happy Birthday Boy with all the special foods you made to share with your friends.

I'm so happy you are back and, hopefully, will have time to share bits of your travels with us.

80November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Next door neighbor Bob made 200 meatballs in sauce for a party he is attending; so he gave me and ''''''tina a foil pan with like 20 meatballs.
Tina had surgery today to see why she cannot hold food down, and why it won't pass.
So far, so good.

It's nice you have a neighbor to share food with you, Jimmy. Somehow it always seems to taste so much better (when you're hungry) when you don't smell it cooking all day in the kitchen.

I'm happy that Tina found what the problem has been and it's been repaired. Hopefully she'll be able to start enjoying a meal soon.

81November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Next door neighbor Bob made 200 meatballs in sauce for a party he is attending; so he gave me and ''''''tina a foil pan with like 20 meatballs.
So far, so good.

It's nice you have a neighbor to share food with you, Jimmy.  Somehow it always seems to taste so much better (when you're hungry) when you don't smell it cooking all day in the kitchen.  

I'm happy that Tina found what the problem has been and it's been repaired.  Hopefully she'll be able to start enjoying a meal soon.

Yeah! It sure is nice of the neighbor Bob.
Tina just had a cup of spaghetti fried in oil and butter. She chopped it and ate it, so this is the test. So far so good. I'm crossing my fingers.
She had cheerio's for a lunch when we got home from dr dr land.
That was ok, and she did not get sick.... Thank God!

She was laughing and saying, "I'm the only chubby bulemic!"
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 2876911673

82November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda.... welcome back! Happy Birthday Dirk! God bless you!
Nice party and food fit for a King! God love that Queen of yours!

83November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner tonight was sausage, white bean and tomato soup.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 20171118

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

84November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

So far, so good.

Seems Dr. Debbie was right, Jimmy. LOL. So glad to hear they found something they could fix. Hopefully, she will be able to eat some turkey gravy and mashed by next week.

Word for the day: brumotactillophobia; it means people who don't like to have their food touching another food on their plate. It is a mild form of OCD.

85November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Dinner tonight was sausage, white bean and tomato soup.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 20171118

Looks mighty tasty Norm. That with Italian Bread, and Ummmmm!

86November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
So far, so good.

Seems Dr. Debbie was right, Jimmy. LOL. So glad to hear they found something they could fix. Hopefully, she will be able to eat some turkey gravy and mashed by next week.

Word for the day: brumotactillophobia; it means people who don't like to have their food touching another food on their plate. It is a mild form of OCD.
I said yesterday, Debbie MD hit the nail right on the head.Tina said, I know. She has a wealth of Medical knowledge for sure.
Ii told her....it runs in her family. Most are / were MD's

87November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, we did have it with French/Italian bread and butter.

88November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:45 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:I thought I was making a recipe that I made before until I got into it and realized I hadn't.  I liked it but Charlie thought the last one I made was better.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 20171117

Sure does look good to us Norm. Tina said, "Who's the handsome guy with the recipe?" I said that's Norm. She said,"Oh the art teacher?"
I said, yep, and chef too! LOL

And he's a very accomplished artist, too. Let's not forget "new gas range owner" either! Norm, I agree with Jimmy -- that shrimp dish looks delicious.

89November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Jimmy, the stove came with a flat top aluminum griddle.  This one is cast iron and reversible with a flat side on the reverse.

I just HAD to have a cast iron one, too, with a gridded side, if you remember. It came pre-seasoned and is ready to go. But with my house in such disarray, I keep opting to use the one that came with the stove. I laugh every time, as it's light and it cleans like a dream (the sink sprayer washes off everything before I even being to clean it). Brian always says, "Whatever you want, honey," when I say I'm going to use the one that came with the stove again, but I know he's anxious for me to break out the cast iron one soon. I know darn well he won't use it until I cook on it at least once.

It fits perfectly on my stove top, too -- I'll let you know when I finally bite the bullet and give it a try. You kind of shamed me, using yours so quickly. I'm guessing that yours came pre-seasoned as well, as I know most cast iron comes that way these days. What did you do to it prior to using it, Norm, as I remember your saying you seasoned it first.

90November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 am

NormM

NormM

I did not know it was supposed to be pre seasoned. I wiped it with flax oil and baked it in the oven at 450 for about an hour. After I used it, I cleaned it, baked it with oil again and put it away. I am using the one that came with the stove now too. The cast iron one is in the oven waiting to be used again. I cooked a piece of sausage on the flat side and decided the flat sided aluminum one was just as good. I'll save the other one for some time when I want the grooved side.

91November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yet another "NO Cooking" night.....

Dane had golf this morning with his neighborhood scrambles group and called me about 1 p.m. to let me know I should join them at one of the country clubs for lunch. It was a lovely group, all having way too much fun, to be sure!

So it was probably 2 - 3:00 that we were finishing lunch and getting home. I had a really tasty Fried Green Tomato BLT and a cup of French Onion Soup ~ the daily special today. I love that so many places serve the fried green tomatoes, whether in a sandwich or as an appetizer or side. It's not something you get offered north of the Mason Dixon Line!

Then, at 4:00 we were all invited down to another neighbor's for birthday cake to celebrate her 80th birthday. Her daughter recently moved in to help out and thought her mom's birthday was a good reason to celebrate.

92November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I went grocery shopping yesterday I saw some nice T-Bone steaks on sale. Normally I don't spend just under $9 for meat for a meal for the two of us but the one I picked out was nicely marbled and was about 1-1/4" thick ~ and, not to brag, I cooked it to PERFECTION.

I seasoned it with the Hungarian Steak Seasoning and some evoo and slapped it on a hot grill. I took it off when it got to 110° and let it rest for about 8 minutes before I sliced it.

I had a baked sweet potato to split between the two of us and made roasted cauliflower & broccoli, which came out toasty and brown. It was a tasty meal, to be sure!

93November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When I went grocery shopping yesterday I saw some nice T-Bone steaks on sale.  Normally I don't spend just under $9 for meat for a meal for the two of us but the one I picked out was nicely marbled and was about 1-1/4" thick ~ and, not to brag, I cooked it to PERFECTION.  

I seasoned it with the Hungarian Steak Seasoning and some evoo and slapped it on a hot grill.  I took it off when it got to 110° and let it rest for about 8 minutes before I sliced it.

I had a baked sweet potato to split between the two of us and made roasted cauliflower & broccoli, which came out toasty and brown.  It was a tasty meal, to be sure!

Sounds like you hit 100% perfection on that meal Beth!
I'm sure Dane enjoyed it!

94November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, Jimmy.....I heard no complaints at all.

The only problem was, after the meal, the whole house smelled like cauliflower. I roast it in a hot oven and don't normally get that 'stink' ~ but maybe it was from the broccoli roasting with it. I don't usually mix the two on the same sheet pan. I opened up both patio doors and then when I walked into the bedroom, it was reeking of cauliflower, too. So, Lucky Me.....I get to sleep with the bedroom window open tonight, too!

Dane will probably complain about being too cold but, quite honestly, I'm thrilled that he had no choice but to sleep with the window open for a change.

95November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had an early supper.....mainly because I didn't eat breakfast and then was out galavanting around all afternoon and skipped lunch, too.

So, I was ready to eat when everything got hot.

I wanted to clean out the refrigerator of the leftovers. The rice got turned into fried rice, with the addition of some freshly chopped carrots, onion & celery. The leftover Italian Beef Pot roast, (half of which was used for sliders for the patio party earlier in the week), became Italian Beef sandwiches on sub buns with melted mozzarella cheese. And I had a container of left over green beans from before vacation that I stashed in the freezer. They got 'fried' in a little butter in a hot skillet.

Now I'm stuffed. Thank goodness I'll have time to walk around to 'settle' my supper and not end up with indigestion when I go to bed tonight.

96November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Time for a fridge clean out here too. Not today though.....
I made a pizza for supper. Tina bought a thin crust blue tube crust.
I used frozen pizza sauce we had. It was one of those ehh! pizza's.I ate three small slices, and Tina had one but left the crust. Well....the outside critters can fight for it, because I just chucked it out the back. I had two beers with it, Tina had a root beer.
The blue tube pizza crust is oily and smells like wet cardboard.

97November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

How's it going for Tina's digestion, Jimmy? I know she's only able to eat small portions but is she out of distress?

98November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:How's it going for Tina's digestion, Jimmy?  I know she's only able to eat small portions but is she out of distress?

Beth, I'm asking her right now, and she said, "Thankfully, it is all staying down with no pain. Thank you Beth!"
I did too much friday picking up the Baby, and it sort of strained my stomach muscles a little.

99November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are in the selection mode! Trying to decide what's for dinner today.
So far we came up with pork steaks; braised with onions. Potato wedges!

100November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 4 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:How's it going for Tina's digestion, Jimmy?  I know she's only able to eat small portions but is she out of distress?

Beth, I'm asking her right now, and she said, "Thankfully, it is all staying down with no pain. Thank you Beth!"
I did too much friday picking up the Baby, and it sort of strained my stomach muscles a little.

Thank heavens Jimmy! She has suffered for too long.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum