Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2017...What's for dinner???

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

151November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I can make a decent fry with a recipe I got from Norm. It is a McDonald's copycat. Good but time consuming. My husband prefers that type of fry. I am not familiar with frozen brands so that Is why I was asking. I guess I will try the Ore-Ida brand and see what he thinks.

We get the Ore-Ida french fries original. The kids love them. The only ones I don't like, are the crinkle cut or spiral cut ones. And they co$t more.

152November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:Hello all, I'm back...I've been away for so long... I went back to see my my for more than a month, came back home 2 weeks ago.. and just log in now

I haven't read all the unread post yet, only this thread.. I want to wish a belated happy birthday for Cyndi, wishing you all the best

Jimmy, I'm glad you and Tina are doing okay now, I was worried when I read the news that you were in the hospital.. take god care of yourself and Tina

I have to watch my food intake too, my cholesterol is way too high, but my sugar is good on my last blood test.. I need to cut down my red meat which is so hard, I like to eat fatty food, meat with fat, chicken thighs with skin on

I came back to celebrate Dirk's birthday on the 7th, last Sunday we had a small gathering ( 6 couples ) at house with our friends from church, it was a good party, everybody enjoyed the food and the company.. I cooked Indonesian food, yellow rice molded in cone shape, special food for celebrations

cone yellow rice with spicy beef, potato ball fritters, spicy fried tofu, boiled eggs in spicy sauce, cut omelet
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 310

fried noodles with boiled quail eggs
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 610

chayote squash and long bean in curry sauce, it was a hit, they like the spiciness
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Dscn7910

the birthday boy was cutting the top of the coned rice
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Dscn7911

Imelda, I haven't been around for a couple of weeks so I just saw this -- absolutely amazing! The spread in your special dishes was so pretty -- I'll bet I would've liked everything, too, especially the spicy dishes. The rice cone was beautiful, too! Your food and your cooking never ceases to amaze me -- wish we lived closer so I could get on your party list!

So glad you're back safe and sound. I hope your family back home is well, too.

(My late father's birthday was the 7th of November as well -- he would've been 100 this year (November 7, 1917 was the date of the Bolshevik revolution and the only date I easily remembered since it was my dad's birthday!!).

153November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I did not know it was supposed to be pre seasoned.  I wiped it with flax oil and baked it in the oven at 450 for about an hour.  After I used it, I cleaned it, baked it with oil again and put it away. I am using the one that came with the stove now too.  The cast iron one is in the oven waiting to be used again.  I cooked a piece of sausage on the flat side and decided the flat sided aluminum one was just as good. I'll save the other one for some time when I want the grooved side.

You know, I was looking at some website today and a picture below was of the cast iron griddle I'd bought placed over two burners rather than over the oval burner the one with my oven fits over. I thought to myself that the cast iron one probably would get a lot hotter than the one that came with the stove if I placed it over two burners. I figure the next time I make two of the giant ribeyes we buy from the Gourmet Butcher Block that I'm going to use the cast iron one -- I usually make them in the 12-inch cast iron pan if we cook them inside and it's a tight fit. I don't like them touching as things tend to sweat then. That cast iron griddle over the two burners will probably be perfect to cook the steaks on with plenty of room and nice high heat. I usually finish them in the oven but I guess I could enlist Brian to lift it and move it to the oven when it's time. Or I can just cook them all the way on the griddle this time.

154November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:42 pm

NormM

NormM

The cast iron griddle is not as smooth or non stick as is the one that came with the oven. I did notice that the same stove as the one i got except it's the one higher up the price scale comes with the cast iron one as standard. The aluminum one does not get as hot but it heats up quicker than the cast iron one.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

155November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:The cast iron griddle is not as smooth or non stick as is the one that came with the oven. I did notice that the same stove as the one i got except it's the one higher up the price scale comes with the cast iron one as standard. The aluminum one does not get as hot but it heats up quicker than the cast iron one.

Mine gets pretty hot, though I'm sure the cast iron one gets hotter. I do notice say, when cooking pancakes, that it's a lot hotter towards the middle. That's why when I saw the burner flames from under the cast iron one today that it hit me to use the cast iron one next time I make two big steaks -- each end will be over its own full burner, you know?

To be honest, I like the one that came with the stove because (1) I've never used a griddle on a stove before and I liked it right away; (2) it's light as a feather and I do have to be VERY careful when lifting something heavy -- I wouldn't even attempt lifting the CI one when it's hot as I know my current limitations; and (3) it cleans up so easily and can drip dry!

But I HAD to have the cast iron one so I'm going to have to give it a try real soon -- we've never been big "grill marks" kind of people but I'll try to grill mark the steak I make on there to make Brian smile! I know he'll notice 'cause we never worry about doing that on the Weber.

156November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

One more thing about cast iron. I saw this on Amazon the other day and it was highly rated with good reviews. So I bought one for Brian, since he's the one that cleans the cast iron pots when I use them primarily because they're heavy (bless his heart). He's used it a couple of times and absolutely LOVES it. It now hangs on the sink end of the pot rack so it's handy when he needs it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074RDT2SN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just what I needed, more kitchen equipment! Laughing

157November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper today, was TGIF frozen chicken wings. Not bad, but the hot sauce was too
vinegary for me. I grabbed the tabasco sauce, and just a few sprinkles, was perfect.
The wings were nice and crunchy.

158November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:01 pm

NormM

NormM

We also had chicken wings for dinner tonight. We still have turkey leftovers but I have had leftover turkey four times and wanted something else.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 20171122

159November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The pork roast came out really well.....I saw neighbors Jeanie & Kermit out walking this afternoon and stopped to talk with them ~ ended up inviting them to join us for supper.

The pork sirloin roast cooked up nice and tender in the cranberry sauce in the crock pot. I ended up pouring the juices/sauce from the crock pot into a sauce pan and reducing it a bit. I also used my immersion blender to smooth out the bits. It ended up tasting like a cranberry bbq sauce. I sliced the meat and put it in the hot sauce before I dished it up for the table.

I had a simple meal of the Cranberry Pork, boiled potatoes and boiled carrots for our meal. I also made a French Vanilla cake with chocolate frosting (boxed) for dessert because Kermit is a huge dessert fan.

November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 11_26_10

160November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:We also had chicken wings for dinner tonight. We still have turkey leftovers but I have had leftover turkey four times and wanted something else.

Korean Wings & Egg Rolls! YUM, Norm!

161November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 pm

NormM

NormM

it was a new recipe Beth. It could have been Korean but he recipe just said Asian and some of the directions made me wonder if it was even an Asian that wrote the directions.

162November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:09 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:

Imelda, I haven't been around for a couple of weeks so I just saw this -- absolutely amazing!  The spread in your special dishes was so pretty -- I'll bet I would've liked everything, too, especially the spicy dishes. The rice cone was beautiful, too!  Your food and your cooking never ceases to amaze me -- wish we lived closer so I could get on your party list!

So glad you're back safe and sound. I hope your family back home is well, too.

(My late father's birthday was the 7th of November as well -- he would've been 100 this year (November 7, 1917 was the date of the Bolshevik revolution and the only date I easily remembered since it was my dad's birthday!!).

Thank you Michelle, it's good to be back, though I'm going back there in February to celebrate the Chinese new year, Dirk is coming with me, I'm excited yet still dragging my feet to prepare for our trip, We haven't bought the airline tickets yet, I also haven't finished unpacked my suitcases

163November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:18 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I read the chats about Pot Pie on the other thread, made me craving for it, so yesterday I made the filling, I also cooked some Mushroom cream soup for the sauce, they turned out so good, I used a pack of pastry mix for the crust

November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 1010
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 710

164November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:13 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh my goodness, Imelda.....you've almost pushed me over the edge.

Your photos always make your meals look so enticing, as if anyone could make them......but I KNOW how much work you put into them.

Very nice!

165November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

That gives me an idea to make turkey pot pie from our never-ending turkey leftovers.

166November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I want something tonight to sink my carnivore teeth into, like a nice steak, or beef stew.
Have to have dark brown gravy.

If I can't find anything steak looking Shocked in the freezer,.....then it will be a hungry man salisbury steak frozen dinner!

167November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so here's fingers crossed for ANYTHING steak looking.....

the thought of a Hungry Man Salisbury Steak Frozen Dinner just makes me cringe!

(Of course, Mr. Amazing has HIS 'emergency' Salisbury Steak Frozen Dinners stashed in the garage refrigerator......LOL)

168November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy inspired me!

Tonight will be pot roast night.....It's only 1:30 p.m. and I have my seared chuck roast in the oven, topped with sliced onion and seasoned with salt and lots of pepper, just like my dad made it!  I even poured some red wine around the beef to be sure it doesn't dry out.  After 3:00 I'll add the carrots and a couple potatoes to the pot.  I'm betting the chuck roast will be 'fall-apart' tender when 5 p.m. rolls around!

Beef pot roast was our fall/winter Sunday meal ~ always.  Dad didn't go to church (he was raised Catholic but the Church gave him so much grief about marrying a Lutheran, he finally decided it just wasn't worth it to him).  Mom had 'signed' all the papers when they married, that any children would be raised in the Church ~ but gave up trying after I was born and started taking us to the Lutheran Church.  I was in my late 20's before I found out my two older brothers and I had been baptized in the Catholic Church.

But, I digress......

When Mom took us to Church and Sunday School, Dad stayed home and was in charge of cooking the Sunday Pot Roast.  It was always the same ~ and always delicious!  The chuck roast would get covered with onion halves and he would season with some salt and lots and lots of black pepper.  Carrots and Potatoes got added to the roaster about half way through the cooking.

When we ran through the door after returning from Church the smell was amazing!  We knew it would only be a matter of minutes before Sunday Dinner would be on the table.  I was usually the first to be changed out of my 'Sunday Clothes' and I got to shake up the flour and water to make the gravy with the pan drippings.  I wasn't tall enough to stir it on the stove but I WAS big enough to shake-shake-shake that peanut butter jar that he had put the flour slurry into.  

I can still smell that kitchen today, every time I make an old-fashioned pot roast.  We didn't get any fancy dinner rolls (only got those at 'real' holidays) but the last of the gravy always got sopped up with some of the loaf of bread.  Boy, there's nothing finer!

169November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm

NormM

NormM

I had a little for lunch and we will have more for supper.  Leftover turkey made into a pot pie with leftover turkey gravy and White Lily biscuits for a topping.  I had it with some leftover cranberry chutney.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 20171127
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 20171131

170November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, aren't YOU just the clever one, Norm!

A true Southern (white lily biscuits) comfort food feast.  

I was going to make a pot pie, even went so far as to go pick up a frozen bag of mixed vegetables.  But decided at the last minute that I really wasn't in the mood for any more turkey (it's really not one of my favorites).  So, I have a pile shredded meat to use for Buffalo Turkey Dip (that 1990's sensation!) and a couple bags of cut pieces for the soup.  The carcass is simmering away on the stove, going to let it go until after supper when I'll strain it and discard the spent bits ~ well planned for 'Trash Night' so I don't have to smell the stuff for a day or so in the trash bin!

The strained stock will get a 'cool down' in a sink full of icy water before spending the night in the garage refrigerator.  Tomorrow I'll 'de-fat' the stock and package it up for the freezer.  When it's time for soup I'll add some fresh vegetables to the stock and make noodles, adding the saved meat to be added at the last moment so it doesn't fall apart in the simmering broth.

171November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 pm

NormM

NormM

A long time ago when I was more ambitious and I would make consomme from scratch (an old Jaques Pepin recipe from the '60's), I would have a lot of leftover hamburger and I always made a pot pie with a James Beard biscuit topping. I was thinking about that for the turkey pot pie and since I still had some 'biscuit' flour, I decided to use it. I still have lots of turkey leftover though.

172November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a lot of dark meat left. Katie and Joe don't eat dark meat. So, I think I will hide it in a turkey pot pie.

173November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sneaky!

(I love it!)

174November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My sister was telling me a funny story: she was in the grocery store to pick up some things she forgot. She saw this man in his thirties, lifting a huge frozen turkey into his basket. Curious, she asked when he was going to cook that big bird. He says "Today". She says "No you aren't". And proceeds to tell him you can't cook a frozen turkey without defrosting it first and it would take a week in the fridge. She told him to get a fresh turkey. He was very grateful for the advice . Another Thanksgiving fail averted. Actually, you can cook a frozen turkey (I saw the directions on the Thermapen website) it's just that it would take a long time. But, my sister didn't know that and neither did I until a couple of weeks ago.

175November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 7 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:46 pm

NormM

NormM

That reminds me of a time I saw a friend picking out a frozen turkey saying he was going to try that brining thing. I told him that Frozen Butterball turkeys are already brined. That is why they say water added.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum