Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2017...What's for dinner???

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

26November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:The chicken enchiladas were a hit....easy, easy recipe with shredded chicken, green chiles and sour cream wrapped in flour tortillas, not a speck of cheese I might add....then topped with green enchilada sauce and baked until bubbly.  At the table toppings of green onions, avocado, tomatoes, black olives and a crema (sour cream mixed with green salsa).  

It's one of those casseroles that you can fix and have supper on the table without a problem.

Yummy.  Even better with cheese.  And some chopped cilantro on top!!!

November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 2876911673      

November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 411572088 November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 411572088 November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 411572088

27November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy, Welcome Back... whew... that was a close call....
hope you did not mind me posting..

Please take care of yourself, doing what the doctors and TINA tell you to do!!!

love,
Cyn

Cindy.... thank you so much for posting about my adventure.
Doing what Tina tells me will surely help me through this!
Again.... thank you!

28November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yea!  Glad you're back home, Jimmy.  That's pretty scary stuff ~ glad it all came out and you're feeling better.  Lay low and don't go doin' anything to upset the apple cart, OK?

And our very best wishes to Tina for all she's been through.  She's one tough cookie!  I hope she plants herself in her new recliner and doesn't move for a week!

She appreciates the well wishes Beth!
BTW.... I decided to cut way way back on the butter. And a lot of other things that are bad for me at least!

29November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

She appreciates the well wishes Beth!
BTW.... I decided to cut way way back on the butter. And a lot of other things that are bad for me at least!

Good for you, Jimmy. I know it's not going to be easy....change at this age is never easy. We figure if we made it this long eating what we like, how can it hurt to have just a little of this or that? Well, now we know! But if you need ideas or inspiration or just an "Atta Boy!", we'll be your cheering section. We'd all be lost if you weren't here to tell your stories and keep us laughin'.

30November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy, add me to the list of those who were worried about you (and Tina too!), and then count me in that number saying how wonderful it is to have you back!

My heart really goes out to Tina, too -- it's often harder on those who have to stand by and worry about you and stay overnight in the hospital, too! I know she wouldn't have it any other way but that doesn't mean it doesn't take everything out of her. I hope both you and Tina are taking it easy now that you're home, Jimmy. Make sure those recliners are close enough so that you can hold each other's hands while relaxing, too! I'm so glad you're okay and hope you both are back to feeling 100 percent real soon.

We love you around here, Jimmy!!!

31November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:Beth, Niagra, Meatloaf sounds so good. I have not made it in years.. I am looking for [i]soft[i]        things...as I had a ton of dental surgery last week, and still have lots of stitches.

This is going to be a continuing circumstance. I had 2 molars extracted, 2 bone grafts a covering membrane and work on the lower central teeth. I am going to try an implant where the molars were.

I have really bad teeth~~ combo of bad dentistry and genetics. I had a ton of work done 30 years ago; basically reconstructed all my teeth. Now it is breaking down.

I have been living on soft things; ice cream, pastina, mashed potatoes, baked potato, soup, tons of yogurt.

Tonight I had a boneless, skinless chicken breast which I cooked for a long time in tomato sauce.

Stitches will be out on Monday.

Cyn,

So sorry to hear all you're going through with your teeth.  I'm no fan of the dentist and also had dental surgery (some bone and tissue grafts) back around 2008.  Yours is a lot more extensive than mine was, as my periodontist did half of my mouth at a time, so I was able to chew on the one side, which was quite helpful since a liquid diet wasn't necessary.

I hope time passes fast for you so you can get back to chewing the food you must be craving.  November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 3470128989    Meatloaf would seem like it would be perfect for you when you get your stitches out, as it's pretty hard to make a tough meatloaf!

Feel better soon, and thanks for keeping us informed about Jimmy and Tina, too.

32November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was baked supper.....breaded pork chops and a duo of squash, acorn for him and spaghetti squash for me. I also did some steamed broccoli because I thought a 'tan' meal deserved some color on the plate!

33November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, add me to the list of those who were worried about you (and Tina too!), and then count me in that number saying how wonderful it is to have you back!  

My heart really goes out to Tina, too -- it's often harder on those who have to stand by and worry about you and stay overnight in the hospital, too!  I know she wouldn't have it any other way but that doesn't mean it doesn't take everything out of her.  I hope both you and Tina are taking it easy now that you're home, Jimmy.  Make sure those recliners are close enough so that you can hold each other's hands while relaxing, too!  I'm so glad you're okay and hope you both are back to feeling 100 percent real soon.

We love you around here, Jimmy!!!  
Thanks Michelle. I / we appreciate the thoughts and well wishes.
We love everyone on this forum.

34November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner tonight was a big fillet of cod fish. I cooked it with olive oil, Mrs Dash seasoning with NO Salt. White wine for a sauce.
Tina didn't want any. She said it is too fishy! LOL

35November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A little Bird flew by my ear, and told me......... Cookingirl Has a Birthday Today!

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!"

36November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, my goodness....I haven't been on the computer all day.....

Happy Birthday, Cyn! Hope your mouth was OK so you could have something good for a birthday dinner.

No cooking for me tonight. Lyn & I were in Orlando all day (one of her cars needed to be serviced so we volunteered and spent all day in the city). We went to a little French bistro for brunch and then found a nice Chinese place for supper. All in all a very fun day.

37November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:15 pm

NormM

NormM

Happy Birthday Cyn!

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

38November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Thank you all for the good wishes!!! Yes, it was a relaxing, calm day. Artie was a good boy... did not fight me with his meds.. Also went to Trader Joes, for something softish for supper~~ still have stitches.

I found a frozen Shepherds Pie.. not bad, but ok for frozen. I decided to treat myself and picked up a Pumpkin Cheesecake! That is my B-day Cake. It was really good, especially the second slice with drizzled chocolate sauce and a dollop of whipped cream!!! I am so bad....

Also treated myself to a semi-warm (due to stitches) Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks.. delish...

Lit a candle, enjoyed my Thursday night shows on TV, with Artie curled up on my lap..

Also my order of the BeeGees Greatest Hits came in!!!! Reminiscing of my younger days!!! Actually, I saw them on an old PBS special, a couple weeks ago. I ordered the CD then, but from Amazon-- much, much cheaper..

I really did not feel like cooking.

Have to do some cleaning this weekend. Stitches come out on Monday!! Have no idea for supper tonight.. but I do have sweet potatoes and a few squash in the house.

39November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was Ladies' Lunch Day so we went to a little place close by.  Our system of suggesting a restaurant and asking anyone interested to just show up seems to work so much better than when we asked WHO was planning to come and making reservations ~ no worry about no-shows or extras.  We ended up with 13 today, 2 who were about 30 minutes late but it was easy to let them slip in at extra chairs.  

When I got home I started to feel a little poorly ~ I think I'm fighting with a cold.  I took some ibuprofen, a Benedryl and an acid reducer (queen of the OTC drug store here) and took a 2 hour nap.  I feel a little better now but I think there might be a little something going on with a sore throat.  Hopefully a full night's rest will be enough to keep it at bay.

I had planned to reheat the leftover chicken enchiladas for our supper so that's what Dane is eating.  I ended up with a little jar of the OUI Peach Yogurt.  The enchiladas did NOT sound appetizing to me one bit.  But I think he enjoyed having the four that were leftover and is now full to the brim.

40November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Niagara Visitor

Happy late b-day Cindy................... My Cindy always had a birthday week, so I think I'm still in time.

Company for dinner tonight.  85 year old uncle who moved from his country place 250 miles north east of here into St. Catharines and is now only about 3 miles away, and his son coming from Toronto.  I have a small sirloin tip roast, baking potatoes in the oven.  Red cabbage is done, cauliflower is ready in the pot, waiting to be cooked.  I think this is my first beef roast in this condo.  It smells great!

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

41November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm

NormM

NormM

I ordered a cast iron griddle for my stove and it arrived broken. GE overnighted a new one in bubble wrap and marked FRAGILE GLASS. I seasoned it yesterday and gave it a test run today with some steak. Also had smashed potatoes and leftover green beans.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 20171114
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 20171115

42November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I ordered a cast iron griddle for my stove and it arrived broken. GE overnighted a new one in bubble wrap and marked FRAGILE GLASS.  I seasoned it yesterday and gave it a test run today with some steak. Also had smashed potatoes and leftover green beans.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 20171114
November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 20171115

Norm, did the stove come with a flat top griddle ?? I thought I saw one when you made the pancakes a few weeks ago!
Question.... Tina bought a round flat griddle. Cast Iron, ok?
Now, she made pancakes in it, but over heated the oil in the pan on the edge 2 inches in the round of the pan. I washed it today, but it is so sticky and tacky like the glue on fly paper. Any clues to clean off the sticky???..... Naphtha??

43November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Today was Ladies' Lunch Day so we went to a little place close by.  Our system of suggesting a restaurant and asking anyone interested to just show up seems to work so much better than when we asked WHO was planning to come and making reservations ~ no worry about no-shows or extras.  We ended up with 13 today, 2 who were about 30 minutes late but it was easy to let them slip in at extra chairs.  

When I got home I started to feel a little poorly ~ I think I'm fighting with a cold.  I took some ibuprofen, a Benedryl and an acid reducer (queen of the OTC drug store here) and took a 2 hour nap.  I feel a little better now but I think there might be a little something going on with a sore throat.  Hopefully a full night's rest will be enough to keep it at bay.

I had planned to reheat the leftover chicken enchiladas for our supper so that's what Dane is eating.  I ended up with a little jar of the OUI Peach Yogurt.  The enchiladas did NOT sound appetizing to me one bit.  But I think he enjoyed having the four that were leftover and is now full to the brim.

Oh Boy!..... Get the pot of chicken soup on the stove. Break out the Vicks vapo rub, and tea and honey. Salt and lemon to gargle with, and burnt toast to scrape off the poison in the throat.
Feel Better!

44November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was supposed to be a burger on whole wheat grain bread, but wound up being pizza from the next door neighbour. I will wrap and keep most of it for the next day or so.
We get Tina to the Doctors ( gastro ) on Tuesday. She is getting worse as far as keeping food down.
( Dr. Jimmy says Infection / ulcer. )

45November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, the stove came with a flat top aluminum griddle. This one is cast iron and reversible with a flat side on the reverse.

46November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Question.... Tina bought a round flat griddle. Cast Iron, ok?
Now, she made pancakes in it, but over heated the oil in the pan on the edge 2 inches in the round of the pan. I washed it today, but it is so sticky and tacky like the glue on fly paper. Any clues to clean off the sticky???..... Naphtha??

Jimmy, I think it's just a matter of re-seasoning process.  I'd probably use steel wool pad to get rid of the sticky stuff and then wash it really good.  Then the light oil and into the oven to heat / cool down.  For a griddle I'd probably do it twice if I had the time.

I hope Tina's doc can find a fix for her gastro problems. She deserves to be able to eat whatever she wants without getting sick.

How are you feeling? Are you laying low?

47November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I ordered a cast iron griddle for my stove and it arrived broken. GE overnighted a new one in bubble wrap and marked FRAGILE GLASS.  I seasoned it yesterday and gave it a test run today with some steak. Also had smashed potatoes and leftover green beans.

Norm, it looks like it worked great. Love that you were able to get the cross hatch marks on the steaks on the stove top.

I can't tell you how jealous I am....no chance of getting a gas stove in this house. I am looking into maybe replacing my glass top stove with an induction stove one of these days. That's pretty exciting for me. I'm using the 'safety' factor as my debate point because I know there will be questions as to WHY we need a new stove when there's nothing wrong with the one we have. (Can you see my ducks? They're all lining up in a nice, straight row......)

48November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:46 am

NormM

NormM

The only other food site I go to is eGullet and they have a discussion board on consumer products and a lot of people like induction stoves. Many prefer them over gas. I didn't want to get one when I got the glass top because I was afraid I'd have to buy a lot of new pots and pans.

49November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 am

NormM

NormM

Jimmy, did Tina use a nonstick spray on the cast iron? I hear that they can leave a sticky residue. Like Beth said, try SOS, hot water and a lot of elbow grease.

50November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 2 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Jimmy, did Tina use a nonstick spray on the cast iron? I hear that they can leave a sticky residue. Like Beth said, try SOS, hot water and a lot of elbow grease.

Thanks Norm & Beth..... Tina used a harsh scrubbie, and elbow grease, and the sticky residue came off. She re-seasoned it, and it looks and feels fine now. Thank you!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum