Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November, 2017...What's for dinner???

+4
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

51November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Question.... Tina bought a round flat griddle. Cast Iron, ok?
Now, she made pancakes in it, but over heated the oil in the pan on the edge 2 inches in the round of the pan. I washed it today, but it is so sticky and tacky like the glue on fly paper. Any clues to clean off the sticky???..... Naphtha??

Jimmy, I think it's just a matter of re-seasoning process.  I'd probably use steel wool pad to get rid of the sticky stuff and then wash it really good.  Then the light oil and into the oven to heat / cool down.  For a griddle I'd probably do it twice if I had the time.

I hope Tina's doc can find a fix for her gastro problems.  She deserves to be able to eat whatever she wants without getting sick.

How are you feeling?  Are you laying low?  

Thanks Beth. I'm feeling a lot better. No more heaviness in the chest, and thinking it was heart burn indigestion.
I can carry out the trash now, without pain and out of breath.
I still have slight COPD, but that is a different issue.

52November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm glad you're feeling better, Jimmy. The COPD can be treated (and even get better according to Dane's docs) if you use the meds/inhalers on a regular basis. Fortunately for us, Dane's meds are covered by his VA doc visits and only cost $8/month. When we had to buy them before he signed up at the VA they were well over $100/month. It took me a long time to convince him to sign up, trying to make him understand it was his benefit for being a Vietnam veteran, but once he found out I was RIGHT (as usual.....LOL), he was glad and now uses the inhalers daily.

Tonight's supper is a new one for us, something I've been wanting to make for a while. Cuban Picadillo....kind of an interestingly spiced Cuban sloppy joe mixture.

It's ground beef with onion, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes spiced with cinnamon, cumin, allspice, bay leaves and raisins - simmered for an hour or so and then the addition of a splash of red wine vinegar and the addition of some sliced green olives. I watched a video of some chef and he mentioned he preferred using currents instead of large raisins because he didn't care for biting into a large, soft raisin and that sounded logical to me - so I chopped my little raisins into smaller bits and I think they'll be tasty that way.

It's simmering on the stove now, before the addition of the olives and it smells really good in here. I'm going to serve it with some white rice. Another recipe had diced potatoes added but I think we're going to have potatoes tomorrow night with a pot roast so I decided on the rice for tonight.

I wish I had thought to pick up a green and a ripe plantain to have with this. Oh well, maybe next time.

53November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success! It was interesting to discuss the nuances of the dish with Mr. Amazing. He added soy sauce to his rice (because he thinks ALL rice needs soy sauce) and also a few shakes of Tennessee Sunshine Hot sauce. I had mine just as made.

The dry spices; cinnamon, cumin & allspice, were present more as fragrance and the taste I got was the acid of the red wine vinegar and the brine of the green olives. All together it was very tasty in a tomato based sauce.

I think the leftovers will get baked in some empanada dough for a hand held Cuban Sloppy Joe.

54November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight, was Chili and Cornbread. It hit the spot.

55November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Niagara Visitor

Quite possibly the last of this year's fresh Lake Erie perch today. Son went out fishing, lake was rough, temperature hovering around the freezing mark.................. but, he caught 26 perch, and gave me three! YUMMY. This week, the boat gets winterized and put away for a few months. Sigh. I had some red cabbage left over from my roast beef dinner last night, it went well with the fish.

56November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OHHHHH! Winter perch are the best!

I'd be sad, too, to know it's the last for the season.....but I'm sure your son has lots of plans for as soon as the weather breaks.

57November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Big Q Q Q Question..... What to make for supper tomorrow????
Tina suggested spaghetti ......

58November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:53 pm

NormM

NormM

Late lunch, maybe lunch and dinner together with a snack later.  Chili. I got some Santa Fe Railroad glasses at an antique store the other day to go with my Santa Fe Southwestern dishes. Glass has apple juice in it.

November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 20171116

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

59November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, wonderful that you were able to find additions to your set! Looks good to me.....

60November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper tonight is a crock pot Italian Beef (Bev's recipe) with the left over Bob Evans' mashed potatoes and roasted carrots & parsnips.

Hopefully there will be enough Italian Beef Pot Roast leftover to make sliders for a Patio Party on Wednesday. I also have to make something with the Meyer Lemons that have fallen off our tree ~ I'm thinking the cornmeal bundt cake with lemon sugar crust might be a good addition, too.

61November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:12 pm

NormM

NormM

There were 6 glasses for $50. and I didn't get them. After a couple months they went down to $40 and then a couple months later, the owner of the booth was there when I came in and she let me have them for $30.00. On ebay railroad dining car stuff has been going for more than that.

62November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Late lunch, maybe lunch and dinner together with a snack later.  Chili. I got some Santa Fe Railroad glasses at an antique store the other day to go with my Santa Fe Southwestern dishes.  Glass has apple juice in it.

November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 20171116

The dishes are really pretty, Norm!

63November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:01 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Happy Belated Birthday, Cyn! I'm glad you treated yourself to some dessert for your birthday, too.

Did you ever end up making a meatloaf, or did you think it would be too difficult with your sore mouth?

64November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:19 pm

NormM

NormM

The dishes are authorized replicas of those used on the Santa Fe Super Chief that went from Chicago to LA. It went through the Southwest and based the patterns on native American patterns in that area.

65November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been messing around with financial crap all day so I've decided we're going to go out for a sandwich tonight. I'm tired of talking to people and trying to get answers to simple questions without jumping through 40 hoops.

66November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 pm

NormM

NormM

I thought I was making a recipe that I made before until I got into it and realized I hadn't. I liked it but Charlie thought the last one I made was better.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 20171117

67November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I thought I was making a recipe that I made before until I got into it and realized I hadn't.  I liked it but Charlie thought the last one I made was better.November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 20171117

Sure does look good to us Norm. Tina said, "Who's the handsome guy with the recipe?" I said that's Norm. She said,"Oh the art teacher?"
I said, yep, and chef too! LOL

68November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=16]Dinner was two veggie burgers for me. One on bun, and other on plate.
Tina opted out on burgers, and had a rice cake. Puffed Rice . She goes to the gastro dr. tomorrow.
I hope he can help her.....
Had some grapes for dessert; along with coconut flour and almond flour cookies that DD made for us. They had currents in them. Gooood!!

69November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 pm

NormM

NormM

Tina would not have said that about me if the picture had been clearer. Smile

70November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm

NormM

NormM

Tina would not have said that about me if the picture had been clearer. Smile

71November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Tina would not have said that about me if the picture had been clearer. Smile

November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 2876911673 November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 2876911673

72November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your pic is very nice.....just like YOU!

Supper tonight was an oven meal, kind of. Our weather has cooled down today and it's been overcast all day except for around noon when I went to water exercise. Before my class was over the breeze had kicked up and the clouds started to roll over. NOT my kind of weather at all. I much prefer sunshine and no wind to cool me down when I'm in the pool.

So, since I had thawed out a skin-on, bone-in chicken breast I decided to do the ATK cold cast iron method ~ cold pan, a thin coat of olive oil and a seasoned breast skin side down. I cover the bottom of a water filled pan with foil (so it doesn't get spattered with fat) to weigh down the chicken so it makes full contact to the cast iron pan. I cook on medium high for 7 minutes first side and then 6 minutes on the other side. Then, just for my own peace of mind, I finish it off in a 400° oven for 10 or 15 minutes to be sure it's well cooked through.

I had French green beans and baked sweet potatoes.....even made a tiny bit of pan sauce to add that 'gourmet' (NOT) meal.

I really like the cold pan method as the skin side always comes out nice and crispy and doesn't stick to the pan.

73November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Got back from the Gastro Dr. for poor Tina. She had enough suffering and not being able to hold food down.

She goes for a scope tomorrow at 11:30 to explore what is causing her problem. He said he will fix it when he sees what and where it is. We are all praying.

Tonight, I had two veggie burgers ( again ) with hot spicy ketchup.
Steamed mixed veggies, and a puffed rice cake for dessert!

74November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Norm, your pic is very nice.....just like YOU!

Supper tonight was an oven meal, kind of.  Our weather has cooled down today and it's been overcast all day except for around noon when I went to water exercise.  Before my class was over the breeze had kicked up and the clouds started to roll over.  NOT my kind of weather at all.  I much prefer sunshine and no wind to cool me down when I'm in the pool.

So, since I had thawed out a skin-on, bone-in chicken breast I decided to do the ATK cold cast iron method ~ cold pan, a thin coat of olive oil and a seasoned breast skin side down.  I cover the bottom of a water filled pan with foil (so it doesn't get spattered with fat) to weigh down the chicken so it makes full contact to the cast iron pan.  I cook on medium high for 7 minutes first side and then 6 minutes on the other side.  Then, just for my own peace of mind, I finish it off in a 400° oven for 10 or 15 minutes to be sure it's well cooked through.

I had French green beans and baked sweet potatoes.....even made a tiny bit of pan sauce to add that 'gourmet' (NOT) meal.

I really like the cold pan method as the skin side always comes out nice and crispy and doesn't stick to the pan.  

Crispy is the way to go Beth! .... You know what? I haven't seen you make crispy chicken wings in a long time. Wasn't it you who made those crispy wings in the grill? I know the wings are your favorite!

75November, 2017...What's for dinner??? - Page 3 Empty Re: November, 2017...What's for dinner??? Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:52 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. I thought it was time to update the picture. The old one was almost three years old.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum