Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 15]

51"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Does anyone else regularly eat cantaloupe (or muskmellon, as Grandpa use to say....)?

I picked one up at WalMart the other day and then noticed for $0.50 more I could get one in a mesh bag called "Sugar Kiss"

Described on the label as:  "Soft & Sweet ~ Sugar Kiss is the sweetest member to the 'Kiss' family of melons.  This melon packs flavor punch.  The soft meat melts in your mouth, dissolving like sugar on the tongue.  An incredible eating experience that will leave your family reaching for more.  The Sugar Kiss' flavor will change your notion of a great tasting melon.  A true example of our mantra, 'where flavor comes first.'

Well, I can attest to this being a time of 'truth in advertising'.....this melon was truly the sweetest cantaloupe I've ever eaten.  If you can find one at your locale, don't hesitate to give it a try.

Had a feeling that's where you were going. I love cantaloupe and my mom did indeed occasionally call it muskmelon! I'm going to have to keep an eye out at the market for a Sugar Kiss. As we've gotten older, I tend to buy the containers of fresh fruit that the grocery puts together even though they're pricey. It's just hard getting all of the fruit you'd like in a fruit salad; I just buy their basic mix, and then get a couple of other packs of fruit I want more of or extra, like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. And we don't end up wasting any like we sometimes do if I buy whole fruits. I think mixed fruit makes a nice side dish to meat, too, especially smoked meat. Yum.

52"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is a recipe selection here by pillsbury. lasagna with crescents.

https://www.pillsbury.com/everyday-eats/dinner-tonight/7-cozy-crescent-topped-casseroles

I thought a lot of these recipes looked pretty good -- better for you than fast food, that's for sure.  

I never seem to think to go to sites like Pillsbury or Bush's Beans or other old standards. Most have websites with their best recipes and stuff people have made that has won contests. I'm not a huge fan of crescent rolls or canned biscuits but every once in a while it's something different and it sounds good.

53"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is a recipe selection here by pillsbury. lasagna with crescents.

https://www.pillsbury.com/everyday-eats/dinner-tonight/7-cozy-crescent-topped-casseroles

I thought a lot of these recipes looked pretty good -- better for you than fast food, that's for sure.  

I never seem to think to go to sites like Pillsbury or Bush's Beans or other old standards.  Most have websites with their best recipes and stuff people have made that has won contests.  I'm not a huge fan of crescent rolls or canned biscuits but every once in a while it's something different and it sounds good.

I keep telling Tina,
"I see a lot of recipes here, but I don't see any crescent rolls leaving the fridge to be used in these recipe's!"

54"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Once I looked at this recipe that I got via email today, I decided it was worth it just for the onion mushroom jam. But the photo of the finished burger looked really good, with thick onion mushroom jam on top of a burger covered with melted Gruyere cheese and finished on top with some thinly sliced radicchio instead of lettuce!

Grilled Burgers with Mushroom & Onion Jam
Makes 4 burgers. Recipe from Saveur.com / June 2016

Onion-Mushroom Jam:
6 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 small onion, sliced 1/8-inch thick, about 1-3/4 cups
Kosher salt
2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced 1/8-inch thick, about 1 cup
1 portabella mushroom, sliced 1/8inch thick, about 2 cups
1 small shallot, minced
2 cups red wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar

Burgers:
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
4 burger buns
1-1/2 lb. ground beef (80% lean)
Kosher salt
6 oz. Gruyere, cut into 1/8-inch slices
1/2 small head of radicchio, thinly sliced

For the Jam:
1. In a large sauté pan, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium-high. Add onions and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions turn light brown and very soft, about 7 minutes. Add 2 more Tablespoons of butter and the mushrooms. Season with salt and cook, stirring frequently, until they turn tender and dark brown, about 3 minutes.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms and onions to a bowl and set aside. Add shallots to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften and become aromatic, about 1-1/2 minutes. Add red wine, increase heat to high, and bring wine to a boil. Reduce wine to 1/2 cup, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits, about 15 minutes.
3. Add vinegar, heavy cream, sugar, and the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter, and continue to reduce mixture until it forms a thick sauce that clings to the back of a spoon and leaves a clean line when a finger is swiped across the back, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in onions and mushrooms, season with salt, and remove from heat to set aside.

For the Burgers:
1. Heat a grill or a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high. Form meat into 4 patties slightly larger than the buns, press a slight indentation into the middle of each patty, and season heavily with salt.
2. Using a spatula or butter knife, spread softened butter evenly on the cut sides of the burger buns. Grill burgers, flipping them occasionally, until cooked to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium rare. Melt 1 to 2 slices of cheese on each burger, then set aside to a clean platter to rest.
3. Toast buns on the grill, cut-side-down, until they just turn golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Top with burgers, fat spoonsful of onion-mushroom sauce, and radicchio.

55"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy wrote:Speaking of Mad Hunky... I still use his rub on ribs. The whole family loves it. I just add more brown sugar. They like sweet.

We still use it, too, Jimmy, almost exclusively. Used to make my own rubs but you have to store the containers for all those ingredients you haven't used up and I have so much kitchen stuff to store. We still make a rub here and there if it's something different we'd like to try, but for good old basic stuff, we use the Mad Hunky original rub (he calls it General Purpose Rub). I'll have to try adding extra brown sugar the next time we use it on ribs or pork.

Rich recently had a special where shipping was $8.50, no matter how much you bought. So I stocked on and got three 1-1/2 lb. bags, as I always found the shipping kind of high if I only got two 8 oz. bags. Once I open one of the bigger bags, I'll just use the FoodSaver and divide it up into smaller sealed pouches for storage.

We use it on lots of different meats we smoke and grill, Jimmy, but I'm going to try to remember to use it on more stuff we cook inside. Rich and I usually exchange a few emails every time I place an order and he's the one who reminded me that people use it on vegetables and many things they cook inside. One reviewer said like you, he adds brown sugar when making pulled pork. Same guy said he recently baked sweet potatoes and added brown sugar and Mad Hunky to them and his guests raved about them. That really sounded good to me, and Brian actually eats sweet potatoes!

56"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, your mention of Stouffer's Lasagna made me laugh.  Many, MANY years ago, when the girls were in grade school and I was working full time, I didn't have time to make as much 'home made' dishes as I grew to love.  When we would have to go to a school pot luck for some function I would make a pan of Stouffer's Lasagna ~ I found a beautiful ceramic dish that the lasagna fit in exactly.  I would turn the frozen Stouffer's upside down on a cutting board, remove the foil pan and then top it with my pretty ceramic dish and put it back upright.  Into the oven it would go.  I NEVER admitted it was Stouffer's ~ and everyone thought I was a super hero for showing up during the school week with a big old casserole to share!

Also, I was thinking of your poor boy sandwiches.  I love the shrimp poor boys ~ but I much prefer mine de-constructed.  Give me 5 or 6 fried shrimp, a dry bun to use as a pusher and/or just bread roll to butter, the lettuce and tomato on the side to add s&p and eat as a side salad and the sauce  in a little blob to dip my shrimp into.  And I prefer not to have it all touching on my plate!  LOL

Beth, your lasagna caper just about killed me I laughed so hard! Brian, too, as when I read it aloud to him, he actually caught on faster than I had and said, prior to my getting to the good part, "She fitted it to something, didn't she?" and I laughed even harder that he saw it coming! It was definitely something a guy could get into doing, and you were brilliant not to ever confess.

Then, all laughed out (or so I thought), I get to your last line in the next paragraph about the food not touching and I was off on a laughing jag all over again. You slayed me, Missy! As IF I hadn't laughed enough all morning/afternoon with this forum you're running!!!

57"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I am not easily offended, but was again just about two hours ago............... Stopped to buy some wine and the very nice, very young man called me "DEAR!" that offends me.  I asked him why he called me dear, and what did he call the young woman whom he served before me............. He didn't call her anything. I said "What makes you, who are young enough to be my grandson, think that I want you to call me DEAR...... Is it because I have grey hair?  I was dear to my husband, and certainly not your dear."  I hate being called dear by service people etc.  That offends me, but I think I am losing the battle.

You reminded me of my mom, Lore, as she used to ask why someone in a professional office would call her by her first name. Number one, her first name was Marielee, which isn't pronounced as it is written but is pronounced in French by her family, which almost sounded like Myra Lee. My dad and her sisters and brother used to call her Mary most of the time. So no one outside of the family knew how to pronounce her first name anyway and would usually call her Mary Lee (just once, of course), as she would promptly say, "I'd prefer to be called Mrs. Bass." She was an R.N. and wouldn't call dream of calling anyone by their first name except for young children. While most of our friends called their parents friends Miss Mary or Mr. Bob, we were taught to say Mrs. or Mr. Bass. Heck, I even called my in-laws, who I loved dearly, Mr. and Mrs. I wasn't of the ilk to call either of them mom or dad, as those are honors I would only afford my parents. But I'd have felt funny calling my elders by their first names, as most of my friends called their mother- or father-in-law. Even if they'd told me to call them by their first names, which they didn't, thank goodness, it would've been hard for me to train myself to do that, as it was bred into us I think!

I must have a certain kind of mug, as I have streaks of gray in my undyed hair and people just tend to call me Ms. or Mrs. Bass and not by some moniker like dear, honey or sweetie. But then some elderly people here call everyone Baby and I don't mind that happening, as I know it's something THEY grew up with. When we were in Houston for 7 weeks after Hurricane Katrina, Brian told me one day he couldn't wait to get back home, but he said "to the place where strangers call you 'baby' " and I cracked up!

Good for you for speaking up, Lore, as I don't think they have a clue that many find it quite rude to be addressed like that.

58"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:I keep telling Tina, "I see a lot of recipes here, but I don't see any crescent rolls leaving the fridge to be used in these recipe's!"

Now THAT sounds just like Brian -- he'd say the exact same thing if he'd looked over the recipes on that Pillsbury site.  He did agree with me that
Beth's "Krafty" (I like your name better, too, Beth!) recipe sounded good, even without the cottage cheese mix, though I'd do that but would go ahead and use ricotta, as I usually have it in the fridge.

59"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Niagara Visitor

I prefer to be called by Lore (pronounce Lori) instead of being called dear, hon, sweetie or any of those other annoying things. And, I have decided that I am going to speak up every time someone calls me one of those.

60"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:I keep telling Tina, "I see a lot of recipes here, but I don't see any crescent rolls leaving the fridge to be used in these recipe's!"

Now THAT sounds just like Brian -- he'd say the exact same thing if he'd looked over the recipes on that Pillsbury site.  He did agree with me that
Beth's "Krafty" (I like your name better, too, Beth!) recipe sounded good, even without the cottage cheese mix, though I'd do that but would go ahead and use ricotta, as I usually have it in the fridge.

You feel free to change up that recipe any way you'd like....but you can imagine my pleasure at finding if I mixed Kroger store brand small curd cottage cheese in my mini-chopper with the egg, some parm and mozzarella I would get a blend that melted (which to my taster, ricotta does not) and then I could eat it. After I had that recipe in my pocket I started using the same mixture for my (non-Stouffer's) lasagna.

I think I even got Andrea to give it a try for her lasagna roll-up casserole. But she usually uses a blend of a bunch of different cheeses in hers (unless I'm coming for dinner). She knows I can only eat the melted mozzarella ~ learned it's not pretty to watch Mom when she gets 'real' cheese in her mouth! LOL

I went to lunch with Lyn & Barb this noon so, as per my usual announcement......no supper being cooked. I heated up a container of chili for Dane and I ended up having half a dozen saltine crackers. I don't understand how a small kale salad can fill me up for so long but I wasn't hungry in the least.

61"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Beth, your lasagna caper just about killed me I laughed so hard!  Brian, too, as when I read it aloud to him, he actually caught on faster than I had and said, prior to my getting to the good part, "She fitted it to something, didn't she?" and I laughed even harder that he saw it coming!  It was definitely something a guy could get into doing, and you were brilliant not to ever confess.  

Then, all laughed out (or so I thought), I get to your last line in the next paragraph about the food not touching and I was off on a laughing jag all over again.  You slayed me, Missy! As IF I hadn't laughed enough all morning/afternoon with this forum you're running!!!

I never thought anything about it, taking a packaged product for a pot luck. It was better than the people who showed up with little or nothing. Even if I couldn't bake something, I would at least get some nice bakery item, cookies or cupcakes, and I'd arrange them on a pretty plate. I did NOT show up with the cardboard package and the price label still attached, especially if it was "ON SALE" or "2 for 1". Now, THAT'S tacky. LOL

Re: your bacon/onion/mushroom jam...... I've made the bacon onion jam before. VERY good. It took quite a while but was worth the effort. I think the mushrooms cooked down would really make it a much more substantial accompaniment for a good burger. Of course, I would leave the cheese off........Hahahahahahaha

62"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was BLT's. On white Arnold's country bread; toasted.
I had a pack of Tastykake peanut butter Tandy Kakes. Ummm!
Mommy Tina is in her robe ( house coat ) watching the tv in the living room.
Labour Day is a done deal, and tomorrow, is back to routine, as usual.

I didn't get hollered at by momma T for just sitting today because it was the holiday.
Tomorrow though.... I better watch out.

Tomorrow we get delivery of the new rocker / recliner.... Oh! thats right! I never said what happened with the Mouse Cadaver Chair. ho ho ho ho ho!
The three cats, were chasing a mouse, and they were sitting around the recliner that Tina sits on, in the living room.
# 3 or so days pass, and Tina starts smelling something dead. She was moving att the stuff in the living room, and to no avail..... Nothing. DD came over, and said, "holy crap" "this living room smells like a dead lamb on the farm!".....
I'm like, ahh! "just spray with fabreeze.
Tina pinpointed it, right to the cushion and packing in one section of the recliner.

I had the chair upside down. and inside out, as far as I could see. Nothing!!!
Tina wanted nothing to do with the chair, so I had to cut the darn chair apart so we could take it to the county dump. I wanted to slice open the seat cushion, but Tina wouldn't let me.
Even if I did find the cadaver, what the heck do I do with the fabric and stuffing.??

That is one smell that will never go away.

63"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ewwwwww !!

What a horrible way to redecorate and get new furniture.....

64"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good Gawd, 'People' can be CRAZY!

I wanted to go to the grocery store for my regular needs....bread, butter, fruit, etc. I planned to go to WalMart and Fresh Market, which are about a block away from one another. I never imagined the panic some people have about 'Hurricane Irma' MAYBE heading for the state of Florida in 3+ days. Maybe it's because Dallas is still reeling from the horrible effects of 'Harvey's' water that this community is so upset.

I don't get the part about going to buy 8 - 10 cases of bottled water. We have 4 gallons of water, refilled from our filtered tap, sitting in the garage refrigerator. That's enough fresh drinking water to last us a week or more, especially since if we do not have water in the taps we certainly won't have electricity and won't be able to brew coffee anyway.

Dane laughed at me when I walked in ~ 2 hours to go to the grocery store. He had talked to Lyn while I was gone and she had been to the grocery store to buy an avocado....they laughed because I was still gone. Ha Ha...funny ~ joke's on me!

At least this is better than the panic for a blizzard in Ohio. I didn't have to drive through the snow drifts trying to get home from the grocery store.....

65"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up a small package of sirloin tip steak....something I can slice thin and use for a beef stir fry. I'm going to make a Beef & Broccoli (with the addition of the last of the scallions because I want them used up) and I made some regular white rice to be reheated with the leftover Trader Joe's California Sprouted Rice Mix. It should make a fine supper.

Lyn had told me she had tried some of the BAI bottled drink ~ did some research and thought it was a good thing. So, since she said the tangerine flavor was good I picked up a bottle at WalMart today to try. YUCK! I guess it's a personal preference thing. It says it only has 5 calories of sugar but there must be some sort of artificial sweetener....it was 'sticky' sweet (to me) and left the 'fake sweetener' aftertaste in my mouth. I guess I'll just stick to my un-sweetened tea with just a tiny bit of REAL sugar to counteract the tanins in the tea. Or just plain tap water. Or nothing.

I don't even like sugar-free chewing gum because it leaves a bad 'aftertaste' in my mouth.

66"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I picked up a small package of sirloin tip steak....something I can slice thin and use for a beef stir fry.  I'm going to make a Beef & Broccoli (with the addition of the last of the scallions because I want them used up) and I made some regular white rice to be reheated with the leftover Trader Joe's California Sprouted Rice Mix.  It should make a fine supper.

Lyn had told me she had tried some of the BAI bottled drink ~ did some research and thought it was a good thing.  So, since she said the tangerine flavor was good I picked up a bottle at WalMart today to try.  YUCK!  I guess it's a personal preference thing.  It says it only has 5 calories of sugar but there must be some sort of artificial sweetener....it was 'sticky' sweet (to me) and left the 'fake sweetener' aftertaste in my mouth.  I guess I'll just stick to my un-sweetened tea with just a tiny bit of REAL sugar to counteract the tanins in the tea. Or just plain tap water.  Or nothing.

I don't even like sugar-free chewing gum because it leaves a bad 'aftertaste' in my mouth.  

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 2876911673 "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 2876911673 OMG.... We do the same thing here.
We don't buy / eat / use anything with the artificial sweeteners.
Tina bought some cookies, and it said 30% fewer calories.
She didn't realize, and spat the cookie out after biting it.
Awww...she screamed, what an after taste!"

My son, uses 4 packets of splenda in his tea. I don't know how he can drink it that sweet!

67"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I prefer to be called by Lore (pronounce Lori) instead of being called dear, hon, sweetie or any of those other annoying things.  And, I have decided that I am going to speak up every time someone calls me one of those.  

I hear you, Lore, and I support you, too. My mother would've probably spun like a top being called one of those -- she had a hard enough time listening to young people call her Mary Lee!

68"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Re: your bacon/onion/mushroom jam...... I've made the bacon onion jam before. VERY good. It took quite a while but was worth the effort. I think the mushrooms cooked down would really make it a much more substantial accompaniment for a good burger. Of course, I would leave the cheese off........Hahahahahahaha

Yeah, I've got a couple of recipes I've copied re bacon jam, as I've been wanting to try making some. The substantial nature of this mix made me, too, think it would be super on a burger. What -- no cheese?! What a Face

I hate when a storm so far away gets people all riled but I guess that's the point. I thought the exact same thing today as what you encountered at the store, Beth, as I really should make a run to the grocery before the storm gets any closer. I appreciate the local weathermen making sure everyone is aware of what COULD happen but so much coverage tends to make the masses get too worried.

We're in the middle of waiting for the custom French doors to be made and used from our bedroom out to the balcony; Visqueen is currently stapled over the doors on the outside balcony side to keep the water from coming in; the damaged walls and ceiling sheetrock has all dried out ever since he put up the Visqueen. The doors take 5 weeks to be made and I think the time began early last week when Al okayed the drawings the company made (they were sooooo detailed -- like blueprints).

Al, the guy doing the work for us, told me he will help me close the shutters prior to the storm getting too close. I've got slide locks on the shutter doors to shut them and lock them when a storm is here but the locks don't work as well as they used to, due to some rust and some wear and tear. So he'll help get the shutters closed over the Visqueen and secured.

Al was so nice to send me an email yesterday afternoon (right after the weather came on with that monstrosity Irma) telling me not to worry as he'd been taking care of all the storm prep for us, as he knows we need the help. It's not as if we're handy when we're 100 percent but Brian tripped and fell last Thursday night (I think I told y'all already), jamming the heck out of his right thumb and that hand was not only swollen but black and blue, he twisted his right ankle badly and that's swollen and B&B, the toes on his right foot are all B&B, his right knee is swollen, and he has assorted little cuts on his knees and toes from falling on the new plywood on top of the old subfloor -- he also managed to scrape his face on the plywood, too, so he's got a nice swipe of road rash on his face, poor heart. He managed to get to the bank with me the morning after (a necessity, he HAD to go) on crutches but has been in bed pretty much since then. He's moving around a lot better and actually tried going downstairs this afternoon to see the progress of the floor. We're spending all our time upstairs as the whole downstairs is a mess -- with all the kitchen and dining room stuff, except the table and chairs, having been moved out into the living room. We walk in small alleys amongst all the "stuff" -- looks like a very organized episode of Hoarding!

69"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I drink a lot of iced coffee and I enjoy Splenda in it; we also use it in our morning coffee. Neither of us are bothered by an aftertaste; they've come a long way over the years, it seems to me, especially in hot drinks.

But for the most part, Brian drinks tons of Crystal Lite -- we only use one flavor, Raspberry Tea (NOT Raspberry Green Tea -- it's terrible). It's delicious and we're not the only ones who think so. Everyone who sets foot in here and accepts a drink has loved it. Brian buys a ton of it every time he goes to the Naval base to shop, as it's really reasonably priced there, around $2 or a bit more and that makes 4 gallons of the stuff (in 8 packets). We also occasionally add a tablespoon of raspberry syrup that to a big glass of the Raspberry Tea -- I usually trot out to get some fresh mint to top the glass with, too. It's 5 calories per 8 oz. glass, which is a good thing, as Brian drinks about a half gallon a day almost every day. Just think how many calories he'd be ingesting if he drank that many soft drinks or drinks with sugar. Yikes!

I use hazelnut syrup in my ice coffee --- mmmm! Love the stuff.

70"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was a rack of baby back ribs that I did in the oven at 230 degrees for 5 hours.
We also had shells with fried cubes of zucchini, in  garlic and olive oil ....

Tina made a white cake; with white buttercream icing.

71"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When I was grocery shopping yesterday (my 2 hour epic trip....) I picked up a small smoked sliced ham, one of those 'ready-to-eat', 'heat & eat' kinds. So today I decided I was going to have scalloped potatoes and ham....with green beans. YUM!

A certain Mr. didn't make a sound of complaint and I saw him go back for a small second helping. It was really tasty, nice and loose with a fair amount of creamy sauce.

I've enough to put into another casserole dish and have another night later in the week. I don't think he'll complain then, either.

LOL

72"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina said the magic word for supper tonight. Mac & Cheese.
Oh. it was so good. I picked on two ribs that were left over from yesterday.
Tina brought home an Entenmann's Louisiana crunch cake.
I needed two pieces to make up for the size shrink. Boy, did they shrink that cakes size! WOW!

73"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When I was grocery shopping yesterday (my 2 hour epic trip....) I picked up a small smoked sliced ham, one of those 'ready-to-eat', 'heat & eat' kinds.  So today I decided I was going to have scalloped potatoes and ham....with green beans.  YUM!

A certain Mr. didn't make a sound of complaint and I saw him go back for a small second helping.  It was really tasty, nice and loose with a fair amount of creamy sauce.

I've enough to put into another casserole dish and have another night later in the week.  I don't think he'll complain then, either.

LOL

It's amazing, how those scalloped potatoes go with Ham.
With us, it goes with Salmon Patties too.

74"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Niagara Visitor

Stay safe, our friends in Florida!

75"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 3 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Stay safe, our friends in Florida!

I'm watching the news, and they said, the eye will hit a little of the edge of Miami, and then bounce off the coast and head out to sea.
They will get rain though, but not cat. 4 winds.

We are praying all will be safe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum