Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 15]

201"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:I made a small beef fillet and a stir fry of onions, leftover rice and peppers for myself.  Of course, the beef would have been soooo much better grilled, but I'm getting pretty good at doing them in a frying pan.  A pan fried fillet is better than no filet in my opinion! LOL

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 2876911673 "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 2876911673 .......................................... "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 635107192

Our dear friend Mary who passed two years ago.... said, a steak done in the oven, in a cast iron pan, is the way she found it tastier than grilled.
We had her over one week end, and I could not believe how delicious the steak was. She cooked it in the oven.

202"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Sounds so good Niagra. I haven't had a filet in years. My husband decided filets had a livery texture and taste and won't eat them any more. Little does he know that the occasional porterhouse I grill for him is half filet.

My daughter says the same thing about fillet steaks. She just says, it feels yucky to chew that steak. It's too soft, she said, and nothing to chew.
She prefers round steak, or London Broil.

203"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 pm

Niagara Visitor

Anything that tastes livery would be fine for me, 'cause I love liver!

204"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I like liver too.

205"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I like liver too.

Count me in for Liver Too!

206"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[size=16]Supper in a can for me! .... A can of Kippered herring, and a slice of Country White bread.
I've got to find something to eat later. That Herring did not fill me.
Tina is up at the church for a meeting .. She and her friend will grab a bite to eat later. She asked me if I wanted Chinese, and I said NO!

207"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'freezer surprise' day.....open the freezer and the first thing that comes into clear focus (hopefully with a label) is what's for supper.

Taco Salad....well, taco salad for me and Mr. Amazing had 2 hard tacos, 2 soft tacos and a tiny bit of taco salad.

The container of cooked taco meat was what I had made the last time with the spicy taco mix (yes, I use the seasoning envelopes.....). I thought it tasted like regular taco seasoning with a huge amount of cayenne pepper added, not much depth of flavor but really, really spicy. I ended up mashing in a can of cannolini beans (white kidney beans) and that really helped reduce the spice.

It worked really well with my taco salad. I usually break up some tortilla chips on my plate, add chopped iceburg lettuce dressed with catalina salad dressing mixed with taco sauce, then sour cream, black olives, chopped onions and tomatoes.

I made a bowl of guacamole to go along with the meal ~ the best part of Mexican night!

208"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:43 pm

NormM

NormM

The last time I was in Costco, I grabbed a huge bottle of Spice Island taco seasoning. It should last a few years.

My flat glass electric range has been giving me fits. It takes longer to keep it clean than it takes to cook things on it. The front right burner won't always turn down when I turn it down and if I don't notice right away, it is cooking on high when I think it is on medium or low. The other front burner takes a long time to heat up. I'll put something on and after a while wonder why it hasn't start cooking yet. When I first got this stove, I asked a plumber how much it would cost to run a gas line to the kitchen and he said $2000 so I never looked farther. I was in an appliance store last week and somehow the subject of the cost of a gas line came up and he said he knew people who would put one in for a lot less. I started looking at gas stoves and decided to get one with a double oven when the guy came by an said he could install it (gas and electric )for a quarter of the first guys estimate. I ordered the stove today and they said it would be in early next week. I am getting it for less the list price equal to the cost of installing it. I'll post a picture when it gets installed

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

209"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Norm, with gas piping, it was a lot labor intensive, using black steel pipe, and pipe threads and malleable fittings.
Today, flexible stainless pipe, and the pipe system, is a lot different, and 1/3 or less costly. This may be allowed in your City plumbing code.

Just remember, ask the installer, if the gas line is sized to supply enough gas to the appliance due to the length of the pipe.

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Eb4d6fe1-3209-4384-8073-e796d1ecff4e_1000  

210"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:33 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks for the advice Jimmy.

Last edited by NormM on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

211"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

If for some reason the gas stove idea doesn't work out, maybe an induction cooktop would work.

212"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, goodness, Norm....

I'm green with envy! I'm not even ashamed of myself.....

Good for you! I can't wait to hear of your experimentation on your newest kitchen 'toy'.

(the bigger the boys, the more expensive the toys......How did that just come to mind? lol! "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 2876911673 "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 2876911673 "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 2876911673 lol!

213"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 pm

NormM

NormM

Boys never grow up. They just get more expensive toys.  I am glad my toys don't run to fast cars and other things I can't afford.  One guy said he spent almost all his fortune on wine, women and gambling... then whatever was left over, well, he just wasted that.

Debbie, I know lots of people who love their induction cooktops but I doubt I will ever lust after one.  I don't like the idea that I may have to get a bunch of new cooking stuff that will work on them. I am hoping I will like the gas stoves for my bread. I had a gas stove in my 20's and 30's.

214"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 pm

NormM

NormM

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 08469110
Here is a picture of the model I ordered.

215"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

And I say.... "Now you're cooking with gas!"

216"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Today was 'freezer surprise' day.....open the freezer and the first thing that comes into clear focus (hopefully with a label) is what's for supper.

Taco Salad....well, taco salad for me and Mr. Amazing had 2 hard tacos, 2 soft tacos and a tiny bit of taco salad.

The container of cooked taco meat was what I had made the last time with the spicy taco mix (yes, I use the seasoning envelopes.....).  I thought it tasted like regular taco seasoning with a huge amount of cayenne pepper added, not much depth of flavor but really, really spicy.  I ended up mashing in a can of cannolini beans (white kidney beans) and that really helped reduce the spice.

It worked really well with my taco salad.  I usually break up some tortilla chips on my plate, add chopped iceburg lettuce dressed with catalina salad dressing mixed with taco sauce, then sour cream, black olives, chopped onions and tomatoes.

I made a bowl of guacamole to go along with the meal ~ the best part of Mexican night!

I like all the stuff that goes into and on tacos, but don't like the taco shells.......... Don't like corn flavoured things. A few weeks ago I was out for lunch with my son to a restaurant his buddy owns........ I asked if they can just put all the taco toppings on a bed of greens. It was the best salad I've had for a long time. YUMMY!

217"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 pm

NormM

NormM

Have you tried soft shell tacos with flour tortillas?

218"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I bought an Instant Pot for DD#2 for a wedding present. I went to Kohl's today with a 30% off coupon and got it for $83. I think she'll like it, especially since it'll be easier and safer than the stove top pressure cooker I bought her years ago. She had a bad habit of not thawing out meats and then she has nothing for supper. From what I understand, she can put frozen protein in the Instant Pot and have supper cooked within an hour or less. That'll be a good thing for her.

I went to Sam's Club and picked up a package of Strip Steaks today. Dane had mentioned he wanted steak salad but the strip steaks were so nice looking I decided we should just grill one to split and have some grilled cauliflower and a baked sweet potato (grilled) to go along with it. He didn't give me much of a problem with my change of menu.

219"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our steak supper was really tasty.

It's amazing that we can split a 9 - 10 oz. strip steak and both be happy with what we have. I noticed my plate when we sat down to eat and 1/2 was roasted cauliflower and the other two quarters were the half sweet potato and half strip steak. When I grill a steak to split I always let it sit for a good 8 - 10 minutes to let the juices settle. Then I slice it on the bias into 1/4" slices so it looks like we're getting more than we really are. It's all just an optical illusion ~ but we're satisfied when the meal is over.

The steak, seasoned with my Hungarian steak seasoning, was a perfect medium rare - a bit more on the rare side. It was tender and tasty. The sweet potato got a start in the microwave before being put on a piece of foil on the grill to finish cooking, before being split in two to share. The beef got seared on all 4 sides and was done just the way we like it.

I know I'll be looking for something sweet later tonight....I miss desserts but I'll try to make do with just a piece of hard candy or something.

220"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I bought an Instant Pot for DD#2 for a wedding present.  I went to Kohl's today with a 30% off coupon and got it for $83.  I think she'll like it, especially since it'll be easier and safer than the stove top pressure cooker I bought her years ago.  She had a bad habit of not thawing out meats and then she has nothing for supper.  From what I understand, she can put frozen protein in the Instant Pot and have supper cooked within an hour or less.  That'll be a good thing for her.

I went to Sam's Club and picked up a package of Strip Steaks today.  Dane had mentioned he wanted steak salad but the strip steaks were so nice looking I decided we should just grill one to split and have some grilled cauliflower and a baked sweet potato (grilled) to go along with it.  He didn't give me much of a problem with my change of menu.

Sounds like you got a really good deal on the pot.

221"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm

NormM

NormM

I bet she will like the instant pot once she starts using it.

222"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight, was a granted wish that Tina Mommy wished for.
Chinese Pork Fried Rice, and Egg Rolls.
Dessert for ME, will be Coconut Custard Pie. ( Later )

223"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I bet she will like the instant pot once she starts using it.

You know how many pressure cookers we have?/?
Two from Aunt Margie.
One from Uncle Elmer
Two from Uncle Gabes
Tinas Moms
A presto with no pressure regulator
A Mirro Matic 5 Quart
A Mirro Matic 20 Quart Canning pressure cooker.
R I D I C U L O U S ! No

The silly ass thing....... is we don't cook in them! ..... Period!

224"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 pm

NormM

NormM

i never used the stove top pressure cooker I had either. We sold them at the last garage sale a couple years ago. Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker and all you do is turn it on by selecting what you are cooking, like Soup, Meat/Stew, bean/chili, poultry, Rice, steam cook, etc. It turns on, sets the time to cook, beeps when done and keeps warm in the meantime. It also can be used as a slow cooker, or you can saute in the same pan with it either by itself or prior to slow cooking or pressure cooking. It even has a yogurt setting if that floats your boat.

225"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 9 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:i never used the stove top pressure cooker I had either.  We sold them at the last garage sale a couple years ago. Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker and all you do is turn it on by selecting what you are cooking, like Soup, Meat/Stew, bean/chili, poultry, Rice, steam cook, etc. It turns on, sets the time to cook, beeps when done and keeps warm in the meantime. It also can be used as a slow cooker, or you can saute  in the same pan with it either by itself or prior to slow cooking or pressure cooking.  It even has a yogurt setting if that floats your boat.

Thanks Norm..... The Tina lady is going to check them out.
The ones we have are the stovetop ones that you have to adjust the flame / heat on the burner, so that the toggle steam pressure does the little dance and wiggles .... ching ching ching ching ching...hsssssss ssssssss,,..... ten seconds later.... repeat, and My mother would sit over the thing, and count the jiggles, and hisssssing!
It drove my Dad Nuts! lol

I will say though, we have made eye round roasts in 1 hour in that cooker, and it was tender and well done.
Tina or I would sear the roast first till it browned nicely.

True story.
When Tina was around 13, her mom bought a pressure cooker.
They never read the instruction booklet. They put a small fryer ( chicken ) in the darn thing. Tina shut off the gas flame, and opened the lid without relieving the steam pressure.
The chicken blew out of the pot, and the water / bird and juices, hit the ceiling.
I shudder, just to think of it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum