Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 15]

26"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina boils pork feet and hocks ( fresh ) and says she has to boil it long so that the collagen creates the jell for the mixture. She adds no vinegar. Her gram ( German / Russian parents ) never added the vinegar either.

My dad and mom made it Italian with all pork with face / tails / and head pieces...lips cheeks, and ears. They added vinegar. They called it Suzu.  They let it get cold in clay bowls covered with wax paper. Brother and I ran far far away when they started to eat it. hahahahahaha

That's interesting, Jimmy, as Lore said in German, it's called Suelze -- not too different sounding in the grand scheme of things.  The Italian way sounds similar to the way Beth's relatives made it and also much the way it was made in South Louisiana for sure, probably due at the time to the French/Cajun way of doing it.  Though many people still make it I'm sure, especially in the country and on farms, ranches and by families that raise their own livestock, many families never made it; my mom said her mother, though she appreciated what was done by her elders, and who also liked eating hogshead cheese, would never even CONSIDER making it because of dealing with all those parts of the animals lots of us wouldn't care to deal with -- the parts Jimmy spoke of. Though it took a lot of time and work, lots of things they used to do required a lot of time and work -- but like me, I just wouldn't be the kind who can deal with those "parts" I didn't grow up handling.

I would imagine if there are those in the N.O. vicinity who still make it (and given the age of some of our residents, though lessened by Katrina, I would imagine it is). the method of making it probably encompasses all of the ways of the French, Cajun and Italian people who resided here and who inspired our unique Creole cuisine.  And I don't want to leave out the Spanish, the African Americans, the Haitians and many others who all made up the "gumbo" that built our way of cooking in New Orleans and that of South Louisiana.

Every time you talk about Tina cooking her pigs feet and other pig parts, I think of hogshead cheese, especially when you describe all the work she puts in to eat those little bits of meat -- always makes me think of the little bits Beth described in the making of hogshead cheese.

For those who never tried it, it's really quite good and "normal" tasting, especially the robustly seasoned version here.

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

27"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

My friend Lyn and I recently went to an Oriental grocery store we ran across in Orlando.  

FYI: the term "oriental" in reference to anyone or anything Asian is considered to be a racial slur equivalent to the "N" word for African Americans. How do I know? About 15 years ago I used the same word on another forum and almost started a riot. I had no idea that it was considered offensive. I value my life, so I eliminated the word entirely from my vocabulary.[/quote]

In this case, Bugster, I don't think I would be considered racially insensitive. The name of the store is 1st Oriental Market.

Here's a link:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/1st-oriental-supermarket-orlando

28"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina boils pork feet and hocks ( fresh ) and says she has to boil it long so that the collagen creates the jell for the mixture. She adds no vinegar. Her gram ( German / Russian parents ) never added the vinegar either.

My dad and mom made it Italian with all pork with face / tails / and head pieces...lips cheeks, and ears. They added vinegar. They called it Suzu.  They let it get cold in clay bowls covered with wax paper. Brother and I ran far far away when they started to eat it. hahahahahaha

It's amazing to me that every culture had a way of using the entire animal. I think it's a way to respect the animal to not waste any part.

But there are people who cannot stand the thought of touching / processing / eating parts of the animal they are not familiar with. If they saw the process used to make their favorite luncheon meats (bologna and hot dogs come to mind) they would never touch the stuff. It's not that the ingredients are innards or anything 'gross' but if you've watched Diners, Drive-ins & Dives you may have seen places that process luncheon meats using a 'Buffalo Chopper', which is, IMO, a large, flat blender. The meat pieces get chopped fine with a fair amount of fat, spices, ice to keep it from cooking in the machine because it's moving so fast ~ and when it's done, it looks like a loose meat slurry. Then it gets put into casings, either natural (from an animal) or synthetic, smoked, cooked, cooled and, finally, sliced and enjoyed.

'Back-In-The-Day' we didn't have a Buffalo Chopper. We had a cast iron grinder that got clamped to the edge of the old kitchen table and you went to work. I can remember Mom and Dad letting the cooked parts cool enough to handle and then feeling to remove the gristle and bone shards. I, personally, think hog ears have great flavor but I don't care to eat them even if they are cooked until tender. I just don't care for the texture. I also don't care for pig's feet but I'm happy that Tina's happy eating hers! Heck, my dad use to eat the pickled pig's feet that sat in the gallon jar on the bar of the local saloon ~ I was young and figured after they had enough beer they could eat anything! LOL

29"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The store should know better. I know there are stores that use oriental in their titles, like "Oriental Trading Company" but I found out the hard way that it is extremely offensive to many Asians. Why? I don't know. But used as a noun:
(usually initial capital letter) Older Use: Usually Disparaging and Offensive. a native or inhabitant of the Orient, or East.

After the outrage I caused on the other forum I decided it was better to be safe than sorry.

30"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Quite honestly, just about any word used in reference to a 'people' CAN be offensive.  However, I choose to NOT think in those terms.

The word Oriental has been used throughout history to refer to an entire region.  First to come to my mind is the Oriental Rug Store....or Oriental Trading Company....or any number of other references.  If someone told me they were personally offended by my use of the word I would surely try to be sensitive to them.  I've just not found anyone who was offended by me saying, "Would you like to go to 1st Oriental Market with me?" when that's the NAME of the business.  I don't think the store owners did anything wrong.  They have the right to name their business as they like ~ I'm in no position to judge them.  And I may be wrong, but I think the name is "Oriental" because it carries food and items from many areas and countries, China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc.  If it were selling exclusively Japanese items then I would think "1st Japanese Market" might have been the chosen name.

I think back to when I was growing up and, after WWII, there were a great number of Polish and Hungarian people who came to The United States for a better life and as a way to get relief from war torn Europe. My Grandfather, not the most sensitive man by any means, hired many of these immigrants to work for him at his alfalfa dehydrating plant in Nebraska. I can remember him using the terms "Pollaks" or "Hunky" and my Grandmother would scold him. But just as the "N" word was used freely in earlier times, those were the names he grew use to hearing.

And as much as I would not use those names I think of people like our former forum moderator, Rich, who was proud to be a "Hunky", even naming his business as such.

31"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

The only word that comes to MY mind right now is

IRONY!

Used as a noun:

6. the incongruity of this.

32"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so "Irony" I get.....but I'm getting old and had to actually 'Google' "incongruity of this"......

Hahahahahahahaha

33"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 2876911673 "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 2876911673 "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 2876911673 "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 2876911673

34"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I don't know. We watch the baby today; so it can be anything.
Hot dogs would suit me fine.
Tina wants to make a lasagna casserole; made with bisquick and chopped beef. She found it on the internet. It looks good, but I don't know?
We shall see. What a Face

Geeze Louise....I thought I had posted a response to this but don't see any so I must be losing it......

Your mention of lasagna casserole made with bisquick reminds me of one of my old 'standards' when the girls were young. I use to make a Krafty Crescent Lasagna. They loved it and it made a HUGE amount. I don't know that I have a recipe posted but here's the gist of the process:

Mash one layer of Crescent rolls on a baking pan. Brown 1 lb. of lean ground beef, adding 1 can of tomato paste and 1 t. (or to taste) of Italian seasoning. Allow to cool. Spread half the beef mixture over the layer of Crescent rolls, top with shredded mozzarella cheese, the second half of the meat mixture and then more cheese. Top with a second layer of Crescent rolls, carefully pinched at cut edges to seal ~ seal top Crescents to bottom layer so it doesn't leak. Bake until browned, probably 30 minutes or more.

Like I said, it's been years since I've made it but it was a huge success for a hungry crew. Maybe there's a recipe floating out in cyberspace ~ I think it was one of those recipe contest winners way back in the 1960's.

35"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I don't know. We watch the baby today; so it can be anything.
Hot dogs would suit me fine.
Tina wants to make a lasagna casserole; made with bisquick and chopped beef. She found it on the internet. It looks good, but I don't know?
We shall see. What a Face

Geeze Louise....I thought I had posted a response to this but don't see any so I must be losing it......

Your mention of lasagna casserole made with bisquick reminds me of one of my old 'standards' when the girls were young.  I use to make a Krafty Crescent Lasagna.  They loved it and it made a HUGE amount.  I don't know that I have a recipe posted but here's the gist of the process:

Mash one layer of Crescent rolls on a baking pan.  Brown 1 lb. of lean ground beef, adding 1 can of tomato paste and 1 t. (or to taste) of Italian seasoning.  Allow to cool.  Spread half the beef mixture over the layer of Crescent rolls, top with shredded mozzarella cheese, the second half of the meat mixture and then more cheese.  Top with a second layer of Crescent rolls, carefully pinched at cut edges to seal ~ seal top Crescents to bottom layer so it doesn't leak.  Bake until browned, probably 30 minutes or more.

Like I said, it's been years since I've made it but it was a huge success for a hungry crew.  Maybe there's a recipe floating out in cyberspace ~ I think it was one of those recipe contest winners way back in the 1960's.

Sounds Good to me Beth! Ummm! BTW ... Never got any of that apparition tina had for the Bisquick lasagna! Hmmm!

36"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is a recipe selection here by pillsbury. lasagna with crescents.

https://www.pillsbury.com/everyday-eats/dinner-tonight/7-cozy-crescent-topped-casseroles

37"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is a recipe selection here by pillsbury. lasagna with crescents.

https://www.pillsbury.com/everyday-eats/dinner-tonight/7-cozy-crescent-topped-casseroles

Now why didn't I think of going to the Pillsbury site?????

A simple search came up with this recipe, which is very close to the one I used.....I forgot all about the egg/cottage cheese/ parmesan layer! Personally, I like MY spelling of the title as KRAFTY instead of this one that is Crafty.....but I didn't write the recipe, did I? LOL

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/crafty-crescent-lasagna/de6f16ec-f045-473b-9687-105afbf995f1

38"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Quite honestly, just about any word used in reference to a 'people' CAN be offensive.  However, I choose to NOT think in those terms.

The word Oriental has been used throughout history to refer to an entire region.  First to come to my mind is the Oriental Rug Store....or Oriental Trading Company....or any number of other references.  If someone told me they were personally offended by my use of the word I would surely try to be sensitive to them.  I've just not found anyone who was offended by me saying, "Would you like to go to 1st Oriental Market with me?" when that's the NAME of the business.  I don't think the store owners did anything wrong.  They have the right to name their business as they like ~ I'm in no position to judge them.  And I may be wrong, but I think the name is "Oriental" because it carries food and items from many areas and countries, China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc.  If it were selling exclusively Japanese items then I would think "1st Japanese Market" might have been the chosen name.

I think back to when I was growing up and, after WWII, there were a great number of Polish and Hungarian people who came to The United States for a better life and as a way to get relief from war torn Europe.  My Grandfather, not the most sensitive man by any means, hired many of these immigrants to work for him at his alfalfa dehydrating plant in Nebraska.  I can remember him using the terms "Pollaks" or "Hunky" and my Grandmother would scold him.  But just as the "N" word was used freely in earlier times, those were the names he grew use to hearing.  

And as much as I would not use those names I think of people like our former forum moderator, Rich, who was proud to be a "Hunky", even naming his business as such.

Speaking of Mad Hunky... I still use his rub on ribs. The whole family loves it. I just add more brown sugar. They like sweet.
Never thought of his Hunky word as offensive. Maybe because we grew up with Names like that.
We were labeled as WOPS ( With Out Papers ) and Guineas. The bad names were Dago's. It was used innocently when wine was called Dago Red! ( Italian Red Wine ) LOL Used in an argument, it was a cause to take out the stiletto. ( Not always, but sometimes! )
Japs was another, and at that time ( Born in 1944 as a War Baby ) It was not offensive, and was actually encouraging to see that children in the united states used that word. Maybe we couldn't spell Japaneze; so we took the easy way to describe / name them?

I have a big 2 inch metal pin on button that says "JAPS Open Season!"
One big one also that says "We Like IKE!" ( Eisenhower )

39"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is a recipe selection here by pillsbury. lasagna with crescents.

Now why didn't I think of going to the Pillsbury site?????

A simple search came up with this recipe, which is very close to the one I used.....I forgot all about the egg/cottage cheese/ parmesan layer!  Personally, I like MY spelling of the title as KRAFTY instead of this one that is Crafty.....but I didn't write the recipe, did I?  LOL

https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/crafty-crescent-lasagna/de6f16ec-f045-473b-9687-105afbf995f1

Girl.... That surely looks good! Sounds good too.

40"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Does anyone else regularly eat cantaloupe (or muskmellon, as Grandpa use to say....)?

I picked one up at WalMart the other day and then noticed for $0.50 more I could get one in a mesh bag called "Sugar Kiss"

Described on the label as: "Soft & Sweet ~ Sugar Kiss is the sweetest member to the 'Kiss' family of melons. This melon packs flavor punch. The soft meat melts in your mouth, dissolving like sugar on the tongue. An incredible eating experience that will leave your family reaching for more. The Sugar Kiss' flavor will change your notion of a great tasting melon. A true example of our mantra, 'where flavor comes first.'

Well, I can attest to this being a time of 'truth in advertising'.....this melon was truly the sweetest cantaloupe I've ever eaten. If you can find one at your locale, don't hesitate to give it a try.

41"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
We were labeled as WOPS ( With Out Papers )
[/size]

Now isn't that interesting.....I've heard the term as referring to Italian immigrants but never knew it stood for "with out papers".....

I love to learn something new from my friends!

42"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Your mention of lasagna casserole made with bisquick reminds me of one of my old 'standards' when the girls were young. I use to make a Krafty Crescent Lasagna. They loved it and it made a HUGE amount. I don't know that I have a recipe posted but here's the gist of the process:

Mash one layer of Crescent rolls on a baking pan. Brown 1 lb. of lean ground beef, adding 1 can of tomato paste and 1 t. (or to taste) of Italian seasoning. Allow to cool. Spread half the beef mixture over the layer of Crescent rolls, top with shredded mozzarella cheese, the second half of the meat mixture and then more cheese. Top with a second layer of Crescent rolls, carefully pinched at cut edges to seal ~ seal top Crescents to bottom layer so it doesn't leak. Bake until browned, probably 30 minutes or more.

Mmm, like Jimmy said, both of us over here thought that sounded delicious, Beth. Who needs a recipe as your instructions are perfect. You could even use cheddar cheese, as you could season your beef however you wanted and put whatever in to cook with the beef, as long as you didn't make it too soupy.

We might have to try this soon -- we've got a couple rolls of Crescents, I think -- when we start cooking again. The kitchen is COVERED in dust as they've been working on the nightmare that the kitchen/dining room floor on and off for two solid weeks today! I tried cleaning it every night but it was ridiculous, as it was just all back the very next day. So we're getting fast food, buying poor boys, making sandwiches and actually had some Stouffer's Lasagna the other night. And I'm NEVER adverse to a Boston Market Pot Pie, made for two people (for servings purposes, I'm sure, so it doesn't sound so caloric, as who the heck shares a pot pie?) that I eat all by myself. No other brand is as good -- I tried one by Marie Callender not so long ago and the crust on top was like hard bread dough. The one on the Boston Market is the best part -- it's really light and like the best pastry crust you ever had -- the top is wonderful and the crust underneath tastes good as well, though not crispy of course.

So weird for us to buy frozen food to eat but it was easy to plop the package in the oven (no prep necessary!) and the Stouffer's Lasagna was darn good for the price, and required a minimal amount of messing around in a dusty kitchen. Can't wait to get my kitchen back; I think all should be past the dust-making part by Tuesday and I think we can safely say (there's no such thing when work is being done on your house) in a week, all will be finished (the flooring is being replaced in the kitchen/dining room, but also is going into a good-sized half bath and right up to the two "closet rooms" off the dining room side. The tile is not going to be replaced in those rooms, as it's a lot less work to not change the tile under those appliances; but the transition won't be visible unless you open those doors into those two rooms that are really nothing more than closets -- the laundry room and my "pantry room" that also houses the gas water heater!

Plus, it's pretty porcelain tile that's a medium gray wood-look -- the long skinny tiles they make now. They're replacing dark green ceramic 12x12 tiles, which tiles have a very faint marble look design to them -- and the dark green have a white tile here and there in the kitchen, which really makes it look better than I think it would without them. But I cannot WAIT to have the nice new floor in with the smallest matching grout allowed -- I just love the way the floor looks in photos with the tile, so I'm sure I'll love it.

Now if only I wanted to spend the bucks to redo the cabinets and countertops; would like white again, Shaker style, but solid wood and custom made so the fit is perfect. Would want either a white Carrera-look QUARTZ countertop or I could probably find a nice med. or dark grey quart tile that I would like. We're not good at maintenance and we're certainly not good at babying things in the kitchen so quartz or Corian would be surfaces that would serve us well. I always seem to like the stuff that costs more in the end. Just don't want to take on such a big expense (not to mention the mess all over again) just as we're finishing paying up the mortgage on the house in a mere two months. Of course, there's still going to be new lighting put in once I find the stuff I want. And there's always Powerball or MegaMillions when we occasionally remember to pick up a ticket!

43"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
We were labeled as WOPS ( With Out Papers )
[/size]

Now isn't that interesting.....I've heard the term as referring to Italian immigrants but never knew it stood for "with out papers".....

I love to learn something new from my friends!

A word used down here without rancor for a long time -- Italian restaurants, and other restaurants as well, had Wop Salad on the menu, as that's what people wanted when they wanted a delicious Italian salad -- the really good ones with imported black olives, little pieces of cheese, mild peppers and the best heavy olive oil vinaigrette you've ever had. Because they had it on so many menus, and notice when Wop was on the menu, it wasn't all caps so many people didn't know it was a slur word, or if they did, they sure didn't know it meant without papers, though I learned that when I got older (I think I found out what it stood for and derived from while reading novels, to be honest). I also learned it wasn't a word most would choose to use in conversation.

Some people weren't so lucky. I've heard many, many tales of some poor innocent going out in New York, Jersey or anywhere in a metropolitan area where you eat out, asking if they could get a Wop Salad. It was only a word describing a salad that they grew up seeing on menus their whole life. I don't think it fully disappeared from every menu until about fifteen or so years ago.

44"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, your mention of Stouffer's Lasagna made me laugh.  Many, MANY years ago, when the girls were in grade school and I was working full time, I didn't have time to make as much 'home made' dishes as I grew to love.  When we would have to go to a school pot luck for some function I would make a pan of Stouffer's Lasagna ~ I found a beautiful ceramic dish that the lasagna fit in exactly.  I would turn the frozen Stouffer's upside down on a cutting board, remove the foil pan and then top it with my pretty ceramic dish and put it back upright.  Into the oven it would go.  I NEVER admitted it was Stouffer's ~ and everyone thought I was a super hero for showing up during the school week with a big old casserole to share!

Also, I was thinking of your poor boy sandwiches.  I love the shrimp poor boys ~ but I much prefer mine de-constructed.  Give me 5 or 6 fried shrimp, a dry bun to use as a pusher and/or just bread roll to butter, the lettuce and tomato on the side to add s&p and eat as a side salad and the sauce  in a little blob to dip my shrimp into.  And I prefer not to have it all touching on my plate!  LOL

45"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Mmm, like Jimmy said, both of us over here thought that sounded delicious, Beth. Who needs a recipe as your instructions are perfect.  You could even use cheddar cheese, as you could season your beef however you wanted and put whatever in to cook with the beef, as long as you didn't make it too soupy.  

We might have to try this soon -- we've got a couple rolls of Crescents, I think -- when we start cooking again.  

Why in the world would anyone ruin a perfectly good recipe with CHEDDAR CHEESE???? LOL ~ only kidding........you can change it out any way you like. All I know is it was a super 'hit' when the girls were young and hungry.

46"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crap, crap, Double CRAP !!!

I had some chicken wings on the grill, turned once and ready, I thought, to sauce.....when I noticed there was no heat to speak of.  I'm out of propane gas for the grill.  Oh, gee, TWO EMPTY LP TANKS in the garage to match the empty one on the grill.

That infuriates me.

We have THREE tanks for a reason.....and somebody just doesn't get it.

We've been to Palatka twice in the last two days and all he has to do is drop by his brother's at the campground and ask him to fill our tanks ~ his brother has a refill station on the property.  No big deal.....he fills with a full 17 lbs. instead of the short 14 lbs. we get around here locally and only charges us the wholesale price.  I mean ~ it's a 'no brainer' !

So, now, my sauced wings are on a non-stick foil lined quarter sheet pan in a 500° oven.  I have to be sure they are completely done and his sauce and my sauce is well adhered to the wings.

Sides to accompany the wings *IF they ever get done.....

a baked sweet potato to split, a small amount of leftover green beans reheating in a mini-skillet and a big bowl of that Sam's Club Sweet Kale Salad kit....YUM!

Note after the meal......the wings were fine, although I would have preferred finishing them on the grill to get that bit of char. But they were completely cooked through and I had 'Little Kicker' (HOT) finishing sauce on his 8 'drumetts' and a nice glaze of the Korean BBQ (nice and sticky) on my 6 'flappers'. I only ended up eating two of the six so I'll have a great lunch for later in the week. Funny how a bag of salad that states on the back of the package, "serves 4" is gone after the two of us eat. I really do like the combination: chopped kale, broccoli slaw, shaved Brussels sprouts, a mini bag of dried sweet cranberries & pumpkin seeds and a pouch of sweet & sour poppyseed dressing.

47"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 pm

Niagara Visitor

I am not easily offended, but was again just about two hours ago............... Stopped to buy some wine and the very nice, very young man called me "DEAR!" that offends me.  I asked him why he called me dear, and what did he call the young woman whom he served before me............. He didn't call her anything. I said "What makes you, who are young enough to be my grandson, think that I want you to call me DEAR...... Is it because I have grey hair?  I was dear to my husband, and certainly not your dear."  I hate being called dear by service people etc.  That offends me, but I think I am losing the battle.

P.S on edit............. I took the headcheese that I made to my friends this afternoon. Had a lovely visit, and they were happy to get it. Said "when the dish is empty we'll have to go out for a steak dinner" I'm always ready for that too.

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

48"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know what you mean, Lore.....it seems the older a person gets the more some young people feel they can be 'too familiar'.

When my grandmother was in a nursing home after a number of mini strokes she had a very difficult time communicating ~ words escaped her. But you KNEW what she was thinking by the look on her face. Some of the aides would refer to her as 'Sweetie' or 'Honey' and she would just cringe. It broke my heart to see her feelings so open on her face.

If I was there I would immediately come to her defense and say to them that her name is Clara, or you can call her Mrs. Emch. But do NOT EVER call her Sweetie, Dearie or Honey! She would then get a little smile and pat my hand so I knew she was happy I defended her.

I was raised (and raised my children) to always use a title when speaking to an elder. Relatives were Aunt or Uncle, family friends were Mr. or Mrs. or Miss (Last Name). I was never on a first name basis with senior people. I was taught it was disrespectful and that was simply not tolerated. And the thought of using some cutsie name for an elder is repulsive to me.

Except for Jimmy.....

Yeah, I have lots of names for him!

((Just kidding, Jimmy.....just KIDDING!) LOL

49"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I know what you mean, Lore.....it seems the older a person gets the more some young people feel they can be 'too familiar'.  

When my grandmother was in a nursing home after a number of mini strokes she had a very difficult time communicating ~ words escaped her.  But you KNEW what she was thinking by the look on her face.  Some of the aides would refer to her as 'Sweetie' or 'Honey' and she would just cringe.  It broke my heart to see her feelings so open on her face.

If I was there I would immediately come to her defense and say to them that her name is Clara, or you can call her Mrs. Emch.  But do NOT EVER call her Sweetie, Dearie or Honey!  She would then get a little smile and pat my hand so I knew she was happy I defended her.

I was raised (and raised my children) to always use a title when speaking to an elder.  Relatives were Aunt or Uncle, family friends were Mr. or Mrs. or Miss (Last Name).  I was never on a first name basis with senior people.  I was taught it was disrespectful and that was simply not tolerated. And the thought of using some cutsie name for an elder is repulsive to me.

Except for Jimmy.....

Yeah, I have lots of names for him!

((Just kidding, Jimmy.....just KIDDING!)   LOL

Go ahead! You can never hurt me by calling me a name.
Remember, I was raised tough, in a Common Sense environment, and learned that simply, "Sticks and stones, can break my bones, but NAMES can Never hurt ME! tongue

One thing I cannot stand, is when 95% of the time, a man is near a woman, unknown to them, right away, they have to touch them. Like on the shoulder, or hug them. Watch on the game shows. The game show host, is right there to hug or touch the woman. Or grab them by the shoulder.
They will never grab a man. What gives then a right to grab and squeeze a person, just because they are a woman?

50"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I thought a lot of these recipes looked pretty good -- better for you than fast food, that's for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum