Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?"

+4
Crybaby
Niagara Visitor
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 15]

76"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Niagara Visitor

A friend is planning to leave area of Ontario (on Saturday) to go to Florida to help her sister move from one place in Florida to a new one........ who knows if either will exist in a few days.

And, there's no climate change?????? right?????

77"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:A friend is planning to leave area of  Ontario  (on Saturday) to go to Florida to help her sister move from one place in Florida to a new one........ who knows if either will exist in a few days.  

And, there's no climate change?????? right?????

It depends where in Florida she is going to be.
I was in Florida at a friends ( OMG I almost died from the heat ).
They had these metal shutters that were stored in an outside shed.
They clipped over the windows, and were a must if they ever had a storm.
If not, their insurance company would not cover them for damages!
They installed them just at the declared hurricane season period.

They were near Miami, in a town called Pembroke Pines.

I'm watching the weather channel, and the map shows a projection of the storm, to hit Florida, but then swing easterly and north upwards toward the Carolinas.

78"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

From all predictions our area in Florida ~ central, north of Orlando ~ isn't going to be in the middle of any Cat 4 hurricane. We are expecting a lot of rain and wind. We've done what we can to secure loose things but there's only so much storage areas so the potted plants will fare as they will.....

We rarely loose power, once in a while when something happens to a local transformer. Most all of our power lines are buried and aren't in danger of having a line downed in a storm like we had in Ohio. We will have a job to restore everything to it's outside place next week when this is all over ~ but what else do we have to do?

79"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Great news Beth! ... Like us, they don't know if NJ will be hit, but as far as us, where we live, on the north and west of the state, it rarely gets hit with massive storms from hurricanes.We do get rain though, and winds have been gusts of 40 / 50 mph.

The threat here, is the power lines being pulled down by the trees snapping the branches over the lines. And the power company servicer says they trim the trees every year. Uhh! never saw a tree trimmer here.

80"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yes, Beth just be careful.. I know you are and Dane are experts with "hunkering down" for snow storms, but this may be a bit different..

I have a friend who lives near Orlando.. he is all set for it.. has his generator at the ready, extra gas, stocked with non-perishables, water, food, etc... he started preparing over the week-end. He also has his extended family and some friends coming over. It will be a mini-bunker..

Another friend, who is a snow-bird, is really worried about her condo in Bradenton.

My cousin's son lives near Tampa....hope he is safe....

I also have a friend in South Carolina, who said the grocery shelves are getting bare!!

81"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina wants Shrimp Fra-Diavolo over linguini for dinner.
I'm good for that! hahahahaha

We just got the delivery of the new recliner chair. Or shall I say the Tina's recliner chair.
It is in the back dining room in the corner. TV is in the room, so being close to the kitchen, it is a perfect spot. LOL

82"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My nephew is in Miami. He has an apartment on the 5th floor. His brother flew out there yesterday. I hope they will be ok. My sister says that the apartment has hurricane glass.

83"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Let's just hope and pray everyone finds safe harbor and weathers this storm without problems.

I got my hair cut this morning and my hairdresser said some friends of hers were going to evacuate from The Villages to their home in Indiana. They drove 20 minutes to the I-75 entrance where the Florida Turnpike merges into I-75 north......it took them 2 hours to get to the next exit north, Bellevue, so they exited and drove back to their home in The Villages.

So, let me say right now in case when this storm hits on Sunday ~ if you don't hear from me it's more than likely because we have lost internet, maybe power, most likely our sanity.....

but we'll be fine. We have a way to heat food on our grill (which will be sitting in our garage for easy access ~ plenty of ventilation), we have lots of water & ice. We'll be fine.

84"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Let's just hope and pray everyone finds safe harbor and weathers this storm without problems.

I got my hair cut this morning and my hairdresser said some friends of hers were going to evacuate from The Villages to their home in Indiana.  They drove 20 minutes to the I-75 entrance where the Florida Turnpike merges into I-75 north......it took them 2 hours to get to the next exit north, Bellevue, so they exited and drove back to their home in The Villages.

So, let me say right now in case when this storm hits on Sunday ~ if you don't hear from me it's more than likely because we have lost internet, maybe power, most likely our sanity.....

but we'll be fine.  We have a way to heat food on our grill (which will be sitting in our garage for easy access ~ plenty of ventilation), we have lots of water & ice.  We'll be fine.

I'm watching the Turks Islands. If they fare ok, then Florida should be ok. Hopefully! We are all praying.
Tina has a 2nd cousin in Miami and so we are waiting. I'm sure they went early to northbound.

85"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My nephew can't leave Miami. He is in medical school and can't miss class.

86"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Bugster2 wrote:My nephew can't leave Miami. He is in medical school and can't miss class.

I think classes will be cancelled.. they are and have been evacuating hospitals.. actually closing them down--heard it from the governer's mouth...
unless they are keeping the residents around to help with evacuations and such.. but....

sending him my best thoughts and prayers..

87"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I bought two packages of crescent rolls to make the Krafty Crescent Lasagna.  I figured it makes a large amount, (serves eight) and I can package leftovers in foil packs that I can reheat on the grill if necessary.

I did NOT realize, as I've not purchased crescent rolls in years, that they now come in crescent SHEETS, not perforated into triangles.  Sure made it easier to stretch into a large rectangle shape for the top and bottom layers of the dish.  I also altered the recipe by adding additional mozzarella slices on the bottom, under the meat / faux ricotta filling to help seal the bottom so the meat mixture doesn't make for a soggy bottom.

When I re-read the recipe I saw where it was the Pillsbury Bake-Off winner in 1968.....the year I graduated from high school.  No wonder I was thinking I've made it for a very long time!  LOL

88"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well I'm happy to say the Krafty Crescent Lasagna is as good today as it was in 1979! Mr. Amazing even had a small second helping ~ big shock!

I was reading the assembly instructions and thought it rather vague....I ended up doing what I've always done (which is seldom as written....LOL) and made a flat, approximately 9" X 13" sealed package. I put the first layer of crescent roll on a sheet of parchment and stretched it to get it to be the shape I wanted. Then I layered some mozzarella slices, half the cooled meat mixture, topped with the cold cottage cheese/cheese/egg mixture that I blitzed until smooth in my mini chopper, then 'finger sprinkled' the second half of the cooled meat mixture and topped with more sliced mozzarella. Finally, I shaped my second crescent sheet on a piece of parchment and turned it on top of the whole thing, trimming where needed to have the bottom sheet able to fold over the top and sealed with a fork, being careful to not have any holes.

I brushed the whole thing with some half and half and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Since my fillings were all done earlier in the day and cooled in the refrigerator I lowered the oven temperature to 350° and baked for about 30 + minutes, until golden brown. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I sliced into it.

89"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Well I'm happy to say the Krafty Crescent Lasagna is as good today as it was in 1979!  Mr. Amazing even had a small second helping ~ big shock!

I was reading the assembly instructions and thought it rather vague....I ended up doing what I've always done (which is seldom as written....LOL) and made a flat, approximately 9" X 13" sealed package.  I put the first layer of crescent roll on a sheet of parchment and stretched it to get it to be the shape I wanted.  Then I layered some mozzarella slices, half the cooled meat mixture, topped with the cold cottage cheese/cheese/egg mixture that I blitzed until smooth in my mini chopper, then 'finger sprinkled' the second half of the cooled meat mixture and topped with more sliced mozzarella.  Finally, I shaped my second crescent sheet on a piece of parchment and turned it on top of the whole thing, trimming where needed to have the bottom sheet able to fold over the top and sealed with a fork, being careful to not have any holes.  

I brushed the whole thing with some half and half and sprinkled with sesame seeds.  Since my fillings were all done earlier in the day and cooled in the refrigerator I lowered the oven temperature to 350° and baked for about 30 + minutes, until golden brown.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I sliced into it.

Beth, I'm checking in to see if you are okay.. and I'm glad you are

I made some Lasagna too yesterday, I'm going to see my mom this end of month, so I'm starting to cook for Dirk, Lasagna is one of his favorite, I had made some meatloaf which I mixed the meat with some Spaghetti squash ( it was good, really, it has creamy texture ). I'm interested with your crescent lasagna too, I'm going to try to make some, I still have some of the meat mixture and load of cheese in my fridge

Today I made some potstickers, I stuffed them with chive and cabbage and the usual meat/shrimps, I'll give a dozen of them to the Fr. A, the  priest at our church

Lasagna

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 21430210
"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 110
"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 214

90"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 pm

NormM

NormM

I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted here. Charlie spent a few days in a clinic because of delayed emotional problems related to the diviorce. I got a new toy and there is a learning curve in getting the best results. I tried it today by trying to adopt a fried Korean chicken wings recipe to this oven. It is a Cuisinart Convection/steam oven. The chicken turned out moist, tender and very good but not with the crispy outside skin like I expected. I am sure it was my fault. I need to read more in the manual and experiment more. It makes good toast and is supposed to do well at baking bread. Cheesecake and custards aren't supposed to need water baths when cooking.

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 20170910

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

91"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love new toys. I have my eye on a Breville Oven Air. Someday....

92"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Beth, I'm checking in to see if you are okay.. and I'm glad you are

I made some Lasagna too yesterday, I'm going to see my mom this end of month, so I'm starting to cook for Dirk, Lasagna is one of his favorite, I had made some meatloaf which I mixed the meat with some Spaghetti squash ( it was good, really, it has creamy texture ). I'm interested with your crescent lasagna too, I'm going to try to make some, I still have some of the meat mixture and load of cheese in my fridge

Today I made some potstickers, I stuffed them with chive and cabbage and the usual meat/shrimps, I'll give a dozen of them to the Fr. A, the  priest at our church

Lasagna

Yes, Imelda....we're fine. Thanks for your concern.

I LOVE your potstickers. I made them once. Took me all day. Well, I was new at it and I was experimenting and taking pictures....usual play-with-my-food type day. But I'm sure you make them effortlessly. Nice idea to bribe the priest at the church with some ~ always a good thing to have a close connection to God to keep you safe in your travels! LOL I'll bet your mom is really excited about your upcoming visit.

93"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted here.  Charlie spent a few days in a clinic because of delayed emotional problems related to the diviorce.  I got a new toy and there is a learning curve in getting the best results. I tried it today by trying to adopt a fried Korean chicken wings recipe to this oven. It is a Cuisinart Convection/steam oven.  The chicken turned out moist, tender and very good but not with the crispy outside skin like I expected.  I am sure it was my fault. I need to read more in the manual and experiment more. It makes good toast and is supposed to do well at baking bread.  Cheesecake and custards aren't supposed to need water baths when cooking.

I've not seen the convection/steam oven. Of course, I try to stay away from checking out small appliances because of room constraints.

But your Korean wings are always very tasty so even if they weren't crispy, they were good enough to eat!

94"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 pm

NormM

NormM

I am almost out of room for anything new in my kitchen. I will probably either move the smart oven or the steam oven to the basement for use if I need one or the other over the one I leave out. I will need to experiment with the steam oven to see which one. It makes great toast though.

95"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I didn't realize how long it had been since I posted here.  Charlie spent a few days in a clinic because of delayed emotional problems related to the diviorce.  I got a new toy and there is a learning curve in getting the best results. I tried it today by trying to adopt a fried Korean chicken wings recipe to this oven. It is a Cuisinart Convection/steam oven.  The chicken turned out moist, tender and very good but not with the crispy outside skin like I expected.  I am sure it was my fault. I need to read more in the manual and experiment more. It makes good toast and is supposed to do well at baking bread.  Cheesecake and custards aren't supposed to need water baths when cooking.

"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 20170910

First off, we are wishing Charlie a speedy healing from his dilemma. Not that it is the same, but I had to watch my son go through some nasty times during and after his divorce
Then one day, he laughed, and said,"You know what dad?" "I'm over with this sxxt!" .... "The way I look at it dad, is it only was a piece of paper,
and I'm not gonna pay any more thoughts and sorrow over it!" "I'm just gonna crumple it up and toss it!?"

Hope you get around to fixing the new cooker. I know I would like crispy outer skin on the wings.

96"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:08 am

NormM

NormM

I thought brushing it with oil would help crisp it up but I'm told that it crisps up if you put nothing on it except maybe some dry seasoning and cook it at 450º.

97"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I thought brushing it with oil would help crisp it up but I'm told that it crisps up if you put nothing on it except maybe some dry seasoning and cook it at 450º.

Is it direct radiant heat? Or is it convection heat?
I have to search that machine / oven / cooker.

98"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:02 am

NormM

NormM

It is capable of both radiant and convection. It can also cook with radiant. convection and steam. Or just steam. It be a toaster oven, it can cook at very low temperatures so you can do some sous vide-ish things or broil or bake.  It's smaller than a Breville Smart Oven though.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-steam-and-convection-oven/1041571088?mcid=PS_google_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_&gclid=CjwKCAjw_8jNBRB-EiwA96Yp1l2yNCwgy5gS_481hDbT9BUUc_FJZ6rvmMrKsrK7Zq5juGMXUD6FchoCVy4QAvD_BwE

99"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:It is capable of both radiant and convection. It can also cook with radiant. convection and steam. Or just steam. It be a toaster oven, it can cook at very low temperatures so you can do some sous vide-ish things or broil or bake.  It's smaller than a Breville Smart Oven though.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-steam-and-convection-oven/1041571088?mcid=PS_google_nonbrand_kitchenelectrics_&gclid=CjwKCAjw_8jNBRB-EiwA96Yp1l2yNCwgy5gS_481hDbT9BUUc_FJZ6rvmMrKsrK7Zq5juGMXUD6FchoCVy4QAvD_BwE

Yeah... that is a nice oven. I googled it last night, and was looking at it.

100"September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" - Page 4 Empty Re: "September 2017" "What's for Dinner?" Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I did NOT realize, as I've not purchased crescent rolls in years, that they now come in crescent SHEETS, not perforated into triangles.  Sure made it easier to stretch into a large rectangle shape for the top and bottom layers of the dish.  I also altered the recipe by adding additional mozzarella slices on the bottom, under the meat / faux ricotta filling to help seal the bottom so the meat mixture doesn't make for a soggy bottom.

I saw those sheets advertised in a magazine and thought they'd be handy to have in the fridge. I've asked Brian to check out the store aisle to see if they're available locally -- he says they aren't but then his "checking skills" are not always the best.

I'm going to have to go back and copy that recipe, though I'm pretty sure your tutorial would suffice. I got distracted once you went ahead and told us about The Great Stouffer's Lasagna Scam you used to pull off. I'm grinning again just thinking of it! Razz

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum