Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:The corn was not good. I just can't get good corn out here in CA. I prefer yellow corn and you can't get it any more. The white corn is always old and pretty flavorless. I wish I had a source where I could just pick it right off the stalk. I remember doing that when I lived in Illinois. That corn was so good. Great flavor, great chew. The chew is very important. Out here it is like biting into an apple - too crunchy.

Wow, Bug, I had some of the best corn I'd ever had in CA, when Brian's sister lived in Valley Center, CA, which was about an hour's drive from San Diego. We got it at one of the farmer's markets they seemed to have almost every day when it was just picked. (Loved those markets as they had fresh cut flowers which were sooooo cheap!) Jane and her husband are vegetarians and Brian doesn't eat corn so I asked her if she'd mind if I bought some corn and made corn chowder. She gratefully accepted. It came out good but the corn was so sweet that I thought the chowder was too sweet too; Jane and Russ loved it and Russ said it was the best corn chowder he'd ever had.

They sold their house in Valley Center about 6 or so years ago and then about 3 years ago, sold the rest of the 8 acres (about 4) that was next to the house they built. They'd graded the land and ran power to it but instead of building a smaller house (the one they built and sold was huge), they decided CA was too expensive a place to retire in so they sold the land. It went pretty fast, I think because it was "build ready." Russ worked for a computer company from home so he could live anywhere and Jane decided to retire so they moved to Bend, Oregon, which they really seem to like.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I too love potato salad but rarely make it. I wish Brian would eat it, as I always make a big batch. If I don't send some to friends (Brian's friend, Pete, is single so he always appreciates any food item I send over), I'll eat it all myself.

At least Dane will break down and eat some of it with you!

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy:  I guess you can say that I am Tina's Twin:"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Img_0810

please ignore the hairy toe.. it has been 3 weeks..and still hurts like heck..

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I don't care for store bought angel food cakes because they usually use almond extract and I'm not a fan of that.  I just use vanilla.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Angel_10

Looks delicious, Beth. Congrats on cutting down that recipe as lots of times it's not successful.

I didn't know that about almond v. vanilla. I like 'em both. I rarely make an angel food cake just because of the reason you mentioned -- I'd have to use up all those yolks. When I was young, women often made a yellow cake at the same time as an angel food just to solve that problem. All we NEED is two cakes at the same time around here!

We do buy the occasional grocery store baked angel food cake, though. I like to slice it up and use it with fresh strawberries. Remember the old jello cakes where you made a batch of jello, put the angel food cake in it to absorb the jello, flipped it if needed to soak up some on the top? After the cake had absorbed all the jello, then you refrigerated it so the jello could solidify. I haven't had that for more than 30 years but I really used to like it.

Love sliced angel food cake (and pound cake, too) toasted in the toaster!

80"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Empty This was a mistake Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:46 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Mistake!

Last edited by Crybaby on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The grill mats for the gas grill worked wonderfully with the salmon tonight.  I preheated my grill, as I usually do, and placed the mat on the hot grids.  Then I put the salmon on skin-side down and closed the lid.  It cooked until I saw it turning opaque and then I turned it over and let it finish.  It didn't stick.  It cooked evenly.  And it held together nicely.  When it registered 120° I put it on a plate and covered it with foil to 'rest' while I finished up my Buerre Blanc Sauce (had to heat the sauce and whisk in the two sticks of butter).

For anything delicate those mats seem to be just the ticket.  

Your dinners looked great, Beth, as did your grilling photos. Glad those mats are working out for you. It's nice that stuff can brown right through the mats. Fish are often a pain in the butt on the grill, too -- perfect for fish.

Loved the picture of Jake. He looks happy as a lark too -- good cooking will do that! I'll bet he was crazy about driving that golf cart. Brian would fight me for who was going to do the cart driving, as his face lit up when I told him y'all had a golf cart!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What to have for supper tonight????? We are clueless as to what to make.
T made dessert. A white cake, with white buttercream icing.
I have leftover pizza dough in the fridge! Hmmm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:I cooked stuffed spaghetti squash today, Dirk was smiling from ear to ear.. he loves Spaghetti squash, esp the ones from his backyard, he picked one today and I browsed the net to search for some other way to cook it

Spaghetti squash with shallots, chili peppers, chopped broccoli, sausages, lots of cheese
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Dscn6813
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Dscn6814
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Dscn6815

Imelda, as usual, your dinner made me drool!  What a super way to make spaghetti squash, too.  And fresh from the garden -- Dirk's lucky to have you and you're lucky he's such a great farmer, too!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:When I was on Facebook I saw a post and immediately thought of you....thought it would be something you would make for Dirk on his hikes ~ and I imagine you'll be able to add your own special spin to make it your own.  Here's a link to the site:

http://www.recipetineats.com/no-washing-up-ham-egg-cheese-pockets/

Whatcha smoking over there, Missy? Imelda posted a picture of these and the same link on July 4th in the Breakfast thread. I'm laughing over here.... tongue

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:When I was on Facebook I saw a post and immediately thought of you....thought it would be something you would make for Dirk on his hikes ~ and I imagine you'll be able to add your own special spin to make it your own.  Here's a link to the site:

http://www.recipetineats.com/no-washing-up-ham-egg-cheese-pockets/

Whatcha smoking over there, Missy?  Imelda posted a picture of these and the same link on July 4th in the Breakfast thread.  I'm laughing over here.... tongue

Thank you very much for pointing that out ~ I was going to post an apology to Imelda for my 'STUPIDITY' but you broadcast it enough already!   Hahahahahaha!

After I saw the video on someone's facebook post I put the site in and thought, gee, this is just like Imelda's......it wasn't until I later went back and re-read her post that I realized I had just informed her about a site she shared with all of us!

So, chalk it up to the vodka....or just being old.

And thanks so much for BRINGING IT TO MY ATTENTION, 'friend' Michelle.........

Hahahahahaha!

Last edited by bethk on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Looks delicious, Beth.  Congrats on cutting down that recipe as lots of times it's not successful.  

I didn't know that about almond v. vanilla.  I like 'em both.  I rarely make an angel food cake just because of the reason you mentioned -- I'd have to use up all those yolks.  When I was young, women often made a yellow cake at the same time as an angel food just to solve that problem.  All we NEED is two cakes at the same time around here!  

We do buy the occasional grocery store baked angel food cake, though.  I like to slice it up and use it with fresh strawberries.  Remember the old jello cakes where you made a batch of jello, put the angel food cake in it to absorb the jello, flipped it if needed to soak up some on the top?  After the cake had absorbed all the jello, then you refrigerated it so the jello could solidify.  I haven't had that for more than 30 years but I really used to like it.  

Love sliced angel food cake (and pound cake, too) toasted in the toaster!  

Like I mentioned, I only made the angel food cake because I didn't want to waste a cup of egg whites when I had used the yolks for noodles. Usually, if I want to make a homemade cake, I'll make my grandma's Lemon Sunshine Cake.....a lemon chiffon cake that uses 8 whole eggs. It's my all time favorite, although this angel food cake warn't bad at all, if I do say so myself. It could be that I was really hungry for cake, it was good enough for me to take half of the cake over to share with Tommy & JoAnn next door. (Mr. Amazing won't stoop so low as to eat all those empty carbs.......)

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I had muscles in a white butter wine sauce. Ate this over spaghetti.
Tina had some fried meatballs, and some sweets.
She has another setback.... She whacked her baby toe someplace, and she is limping around like Walter Brennan as grandpappy in the Real Mccoy's.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Img_0510

Jimmy ~ do you use the frozen mussels when you make yours? Every once in a while I think I'd like to make the exact meal you have here and they're out of fresh mussels. I've seen the frozen one and wasn't sure how they'd do.

bethk

bethk
Admin

'The boy' wanted fish again tonight. I decided on chicken instead. We can have the fresh cod tomorrow ~ don't know for sure how I'm going to cook it. I may try it without any crispy coating (my usual panko crumbs) on the grill mats but I'm really afraid the cod will just fall apart. It usually breaks up even when I put the coating on it and try to be really carefully when I flip it in the pan.

I just made 'chicken chunks' without any breading ~ sauted in olive oil and then I mixed a couple of the Asian style marinades I have in the refrigerator. Jake taste tested my concoction and said it was good so I just spooned some over the cooked chicken and let it glaze it a bit. Dane & I split a big sweet potato and Jake got some boiled potatoes to go with the broccoli.

He's so funny.....empty, hollow leg and all. We were eating supper and he asks, "Grandma, would you like any more chicken? Grandpa, how about you?" We both answered, "no"......and there went the rest of the chicken and broccoli. I think he saved his boiled potatoes for his 'dessert'.

LOL

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Asian_11

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, love the stories about Jake! It is so obvious the he loves both you and Dane, so much...and your cooking..  I am happy for you...

I have not had homemade Angel food cake for years! I used to make a pound cake and then save the egg whites for an Angel food cake.. it was so good. Unfortunately, when we moved, I think I threw out my awesome cook book which had a ton of recipes in it..sigh..

It was not the Betty Crocker book, no plaid on it, but It could have been the Good Housekeeping Cook Book... I remember it had a red jacket cover...sigh..I loved that book....

bethk

bethk
Admin

The recipe I used for the angel food cake was super easy.....

(here it is with my adjustments to use only 1 c. of egg whites....probably 8 egg whites, maybe 9)

Angel Food Cake

1 c. Cake Flour (sifted)
1/4 t. Salt
1-1/4 c. Sugar
1 c. Egg Whites
1 t. Cream of Tartar
1/2 t. Vanilla

Beat the egg whites with salt & cream of tartar, starting on low until starting to foam and then on high until at soft peak. Beat in sugar (slowly) and vanilla, on high speed. Remove from mixer and sift 1/2 the flour over and gently fold in, then the other half of the flour and fold until well combined.

Spoon into ungreased 10" tube pan. Place pan in a cold oven and turn on to 325°. Bake for 1 hour (test by touch ~ when it springs back, it's done). Invert to cool completely.

91"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 pm

NormM

NormM

I saw a recipe from LA that was Karne Asade and Pico de Gallo with some Korean flavors added in."What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 20170717

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was KFC popcorn chicken for me, and chicken chunks with potatoes and gravy for Tina .
Half way through my box of crunchy chicken, I found where they snuck in some chicken tenders.
I could not eat them. They were wet and the breading was not crisp. I was p'd off big time!

Tomorrow being Sunday, we are having a small roast pork with canned red cinnamon apple slices, and stuffing.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Dirk pulled all of our shallots today, tons of them, we spent a couple hours to clean them..  I pickled some of them, using pickling seasoning, I'm going to give some jars to my from at church and we still have lots left... I was wondering if I could chop and soak some of them in oil, then store them in my fridge, any else idea what to do with the rest of them?

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Dscn6816
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Whatsa10
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Whatsa11"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Dscn6819
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Dscn6820

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wow, Imelda, that's quite a harvest you have. It's always wonderful to get the fruits of your labor from the garden. When the girls were small Dane planted some potatoes. The plants were, for the most part, pretty boring. But when they started to wilt and die down he took the girls with him to 'dig for treasure' ~ the first couple scoops of soil didn't produce much but as he continued to dig and turn over the soil the girls found lots and lots of potatoes! You would have thought they found gold....LOL

I've never thought of trying to store shallots in oil, as one might do with garlic, but I do know you can freeze them. The texture might be somewhat softer but they would be fine for cooking. I would just chop some, spread them on a sheet pan and freeze on a parchment lined sheet. Once frozen you could then drop them into a zip bag and store them that way.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just made my tartar sauce for the cod tonight. I think I'm going to give it a try the same as the salmon and just season with a bit of evoo and s&p. Hopefully it won't fall into bits as it cooks. Actually it makes no difference ~ as long as it's cooked 'the boy' will probably inhale it on sight.

I'm going to try an 'new' potato. I have some of those yukon gold potatoes, a little larger than a golf ball, that I'll par cook in the microwave. I lined a foil pan with non-stick foil and I'm going to coat the bottom with some softened butter and sprinkle on some seasonings & grated parmesan and then a layer of plain panko crumbs. The cut-in-half potatoes will get placed on top and then set on the hot grill to brown and (hopefully) adhere the crunchy seasoned cheesy crumbs to the potatoes. They're just for Jake & me, unless Mr. Amazing can't resist trying something new and tries a half (which would surprise me).

I have some leftover succotash (lima beans & corn) and it's a toss up between fried zucchini w/onion or green beans again.....I'll take a survey-of-one (Jake) to decided which it will be.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I saw a recipe from LA that was Karne Asade and Pico de Gallo with some Korean flavors added in."What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 20170717

Norm, your recipe looked really good (and interesting). I sure wish I could find decent priced skirt steak around here. The only place I've seen it is at Fresh Market ~ and they want $17.99/lb. for it....... "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 1450907917 CRAZY !!

I especially like the adding of gochujang in the pico. I love those Korean / Oriental chili pastes.

NormM

NormM

I paid about half that per pound. When I asked for it, the butcher asked if I was going to make carne asada.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know it's around the area. There's a Mexican restaurant I like to go to and their fajita supper comes with a WHOLE skirt steak, cooked to a perfect medium rare, that you cut into pieces and then slice across the grain for your tortilla. It's really, really good.

So maybe the beef producers only sell the good stuff to restaurants because they've found not many people in The Villages cook meals on a regular basis.

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
I had muscles in a white butter wine sauce. Ate this over spaghetti.
Tina had some fried meatballs, and some sweets.
She has another setback.... She whacked her baby toe someplace, and she is limping around like Walter Brennan as grandpappy in the Real Mccoy's.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Img_0510

Jimmy ~ do you use the frozen mussels when you make yours?  Every once in a while I think I'd like to make the exact meal you have here and they're out of fresh mussels.  I've seen the frozen one and wasn't sure how they'd do.

Yes! They are frozen in a box with the sauce of choice.
I forget the name.???? They are cleaned well, and better than the fresh ones with pieces of beards sticking out. Yuck!

100"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Wouldn't you know it......I'm just about ready to light the grill and now it's POURING DOWN RAIN!

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 4 Rain_r10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum