Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

26"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your salad looks 'picture perfect'! I love the look of a composed salad, something you don't see much of now days. I guess it's too labor intensive for people. But it's always so pretty and, in your case, set up so you could take just what you wanted on your salad, much like a buffet salad bar on a platter! I really like the way you put the 'topping ingredients' on the platter and had the lettuce base separate ~ an idea I'm going to steal when I take a salad to one of our patio parties this fall!

Nice job, my friend!

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth.  I decided to put the lettuce on the plate when I realized I didn't have room enough for it on the platter. I put the stuff on the platter then moved it over to the last layer with a spatula. It was not difficult at all.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Crybaby

Crybaby

Wow, Norm! That platter of ingredients for your Cobb salad was absolutely beautiful. Almost too pretty to eat but I would've sure enjoyed sitting down for that salad.

Hope you and Charlie have a wonderful 4th of July!

NormM

NormM

Thanks Michelle.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I know this forum is comprised of a very small group of people, but it sure is nice to feel like you really know and are friends with everyone who posts here.  I think of this place often during my days and at least one or more of you come to mind almost every day -- so unusual considering we've never even met one another.

Happy Fourth of July to all of you I consider to be friends!  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 2599281016

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 1309145179

bethk

bethk
Admin

Aww, SHUCKS, Michelle ~ of course we're all friends!

I hope you & Brian have a wonderful meal to share for the holiday!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Aww, SHUCKS, Michelle ~ of course we're all friends!  

I hope you & Brian have a wonderful meal to share for the holiday!

And thanks you, Beth, for running the forum we all enjoy.

I hope Robin and Ben got off okay yesterday. What've you three got planned for the 4th?

We're planning on a very good meal which I plan to start in a few minutes. Beef enchiladas, bean salad and leftover bread pudding, for which I'm posting the recipe below. It really turned out divine and I liked it better than the regular recipes I usually use.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Wanda Rouzan’s Condensed Milk Bread Pudding
Recipe posted by WGNO, July 2013.

4 eggs
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 cups light brown sugar
1 loaf stale French bread, thickly sliced, ends included
1 stick butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 box raisins (~ 1/3 to 1/4 cup)

1. Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Mix eggs, evaporated milk, milk, vanilla, spices and sugar in bowl.
2. Layer bread in a buttered 9×13-inch pan. Melt 6 Tablespoons of butter and pour over bread along with 3/4 of the sweetened condensed milk. Sprinkle the raisins over the bread. Pour the egg mixture over bread, refrigerate for one hour.
3. Dot with remaining butter. Drizzle with remaining condensed milk. Bake for 45 minutes.  Allow to cool but best served warm.

Whiskey Sauce (from another recipe):

2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
Few drops of vanilla extract
1/3 cup Bourbon
1/3 cup sugar

1. Mix together the water and cornstarch. Bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan.
2. While boiling slowly whisk in the cornstarch slurry; when the sauce is thickened, remove from the heat and add the vanilla, bourbon and sugar. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Comments: The only change I made was due to my only having dark brown sugar on hand; I used half dark brown and half white sugar, just so the custard wouldn't be a muddy color. The raisins I had were the small boxes usually used in kids' lunch boxes so I used two boxes. The pudding was gorgeous, with the rounded end pieces and larger pieces sticking up in the baking dish turning a nice dark brown over a golden brown base. And it was absolutely delicious!

In case you're curious, Wanda Rouzan is one of New Orleans's premier musical ambassadors, leads her own band, “A Taste of New Orleans” which performs all over the world.  She's a singer, actress, choreographer, grand marshal and educator; she has a Master's degree, teaches Theatre Arts and had a recurring role in HBO'S "Treme." A remark about her music said it fused Blues and Jazz, Gospel and Soul into a ‘Jump on your feet and sing along’ music revival, with her performances filling your heart and spirit.  She is also one of the few females to carry on the New Orleans tradition of leading jazz funerals and parades.  One more thing: Her bread pudding is divine.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Robin & Ben got off fine....albeit with a half hour or so delay in their flight time. Allegiant is known for having a lot of delays, but since they are the only one to fly into the small Toledo airport (which is 10 minutes from Robin's house) it's the one we like to use to go there.

I'm making some ribs and chicken wings to put on the grill to brown up. I pre-cook the ribs with the rib rub and half a small bottle of Coca Cola, covered to steam, in the oven for an hour or so and then I'll cut them into individual ribs and put a sweet/spicy Asian glaze on part (my favorite), regular Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce on some and a spicy Caribbean Jerk sauce on the rest (Dane's favorite). I'm not sure what I'll put on the wings, maybe a little of each, not sure yet.

I also have some fresh sweet corn to pre-cook in the microwave and then crisp up on the grill (in the husks) just to add some of that smoky, husk blackening flavor.

And that's it. I have Trader Joe's tiny chocolate chip cookies in the freezer for Jake's dessert. He likes them frozen with a big pile of Redi Wip whipped cream topping (gee, I wonder who gave him THAT idea???)

Michelle, I love the sounds of your bread pudding. I haven't made that in years. My problem is I'm the only one who will eat it and I just want about 3 bites ~ so I'm better off begging for a shared bite when we go out to eat with someone who orders it from a restaurant.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The wings & ribs were a hit....found out Jake prefers his corn cut off the cob ~ not a problem with Grandma at all. He liked the Asian glaze and the spicy Caribbean Jerk wings & ribs equally. When he finished he said, "Well, that should hold me for an hour or so...." and promptly scraped his plate, put it into the dishwasher and got the chocolate chip cookies and Redi Wip.....squirted a big blob on top of his dish of cookies and an equally big blob into his mouth ~ not easy to smile with a big blob of whipped cream in your mouth! Hahahahaha

I would have yelled at MY children if they had done that in front of me but somehow, the little stuff is much funnier now.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Glazin10
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Asian_10
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 07_04_10

NormM

NormM

Cassie wanted her corn off the cob too. I made up this recipe and I have not made this since Cassie left but it was always a hit. When her brother visited a second time, he requested that I make it again and when Charlie's mom visited, she asked to take some home with her to have a snack on the plane. Someone else-I don't remember for sure but she said it was the best corn ever.

Grill corn on the cob until dark yellow and slightly charred. Cut from cob, add cream, honey, butter and salt to taste and heat through.

When corn is grilled, cut the kernels from cob with a small paring knife. Using the back of the blade, scrape against the cob to press out the milky liquid.

For 5 cobs of corn, I used approximately
2T. honey
1/4 C. cream
4 pads of butter
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Your dinner looked good, Beth. Glad to hear Jake liked it, too. Bet you're glad he likes spicy stuff, too!

I reminded Brian he used to claim he didn't like bread pudding when Ifirst got together with him. He said he pictured it as a "custard," which he means to indicate something too smooth for him, like flan or caramel custard. Laughed, as I reminded him he even eats the type made when the bread pieces are blended with a food processor along with the custard base. I'm just glad he eats it now and he's glad, too. I could NEVER make it if I knew no one ate it but me, that's for sure...

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Cassie wanted her corn off the cob too. I made up this recipe and I have not made this since Cassie left but it was always a hit.  When her brother visited a second time, he requested that I make it again and when Charlie's mom visited, she asked to take some home with her to have a snack on the plane.  Someone else-I don't remember for sure but she said it was the best corn ever.

Grill corn on the cob until dark yellow and slightly charred. Cut from cob, add cream, honey, butter and salt to taste and heat through.

When corn is grilled, cut the kernels from cob with a small paring knife. Using the back of the blade, scrape against the cob to press out the milky liquid.

For 5 cobs of corn, I used approximately
2T. honey
1/4 C. cream
4 pads of butter
Salt and Pepper to taste.

That sounds really good, Norm. I snagged it for my file, too, even though Brian doesn't eat corn (though he has started eating it, or maybe ignoring it is more like it, in bean salad and fresh salsa). Thanks!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe wanted fried chicken and potato salad for the fourth, so that is what I am making. I'll grill some corn on the cob and I made a key lime pie.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster....your requested 4th meal is a true classic! Every once in a while I get really, REALLY hungry for potato salad and just have to make it. I laughed the last time because Mr. Amazing said HE wouldn't be eating any because it was 'empty carbs'. I never said a word until he finished his SECOND helping.....and then I just laughed and made a comment about portion control being a key to a moderation diet.

He said when it came to my potato salad there was no moderation! Hahahahaha. I don't make it often, but when I do I savor every bite (especially the leftovers that I usually eat for my breakfast).

Norm, your corn dish sounds much like one I make ~ Southern Creamed Corn. I think the key to mine is the spice mix I picked up at a local restaurant, just the right blend of spice and a touch of cayenne. But face it, there is very little you can do wrong with fresh from the field sweet corn, no matter where you live, if it's fresh it's good.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Your dinner looked good, Beth. Glad to hear Jake liked it, too.  Bet you're glad he likes spicy stuff, too!  

I reminded Brian he used to claim he didn't like bread pudding when I first got together with him.  He said he pictured it as a "custard," which he means to indicate something too smooth for him, like flan or caramel custard.  Laughed, as I reminded him he even eats the type made when the bread pieces are blended with a food processor along with the custard base.  I'm just glad he eats it now and he's glad, too.  I could NEVER make it if I knew no one ate it but me, that's for sure...

Years ago when Andrea got home from her high school European trip, she wanted to make bread pudding like she had in Ireland.....we found a recipe that she said sounded close, it had sliced almonds on top that got toasted when it baked. It also had a 'hard' sauce (what could ever be bad with that poured over???) that was to die for! We made it a few times and then I think we both over did it and couldn't face it ~ sugar overload more than likely. But it was really, really good.

Speaking of 'custard', I saw a post JanaAZ made on Facebook about her thinking about making a dish called Hong Kong Egg Tarts. I wasn't familiar with it so, rather than go directly to the source (Judy), I just did a quick Google......OMG ~ I hope she makes it and puts pictures on Facebook so I can see and hear all about it. The recipe I saw was for a roughly made (homemade) puff pastry shell with a soft egg custard filling ~ like a baby custard pie with an extremely rich crust. I do love me some egg custard, creme brulee with the crunchy crust being my favorite. I know a lot of people aren't fans but that's OK with me ~ just that much more for me to enjoy!

42"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:52 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hot dogs / hamburgers / ribs / potato salad / macaroni salad / cole slaw / corn on the cob. Apple pie.

I did the ribs with dry rub and on the grill covered on indirect heat. 10:30 start, and done at 2:00.

cookingirl

cookingirl

I finally made some potato salad! I have not made it for a few years. Surprisingly, it came out really good.

That and a Sirloin Strip steak, done on a George Foreman grill was my 4th celebration supper. Along with a couple glasses of good Rose Wine.

I have leftovers for tonight!

44"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:22 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Aw, man, you guys are killin' me with this talk about POTATO SALAD!

LOL

Sounds good, Cyn. A summertime steak & potato supper, to be sure!

45"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:50 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made the fried chicken, potato salad and corn on the cob. I am having trouble finding the right seasoning for the chicken. Nothing seems quite right. Ideas would be appreciated.
The corn was not good. I just can't get good corn out here in CA. I prefer yellow corn and you can't get it any more. The white corn is always old and pretty flavorless. I wish I had a source where I could just pick it right off the stalk. I remember doing that when I lived in Illinois. That corn was so good. Great flavor, great chew. The chew is very important. Out here it is like biting into an apple - too crunchy.

I ran across a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that uses a combination of graham cracker crumbs and flour. It has me really curious as to how it will taste.

46"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I made the fried chicken, potato salad and corn on the cob. I am having trouble finding the right seasoning for the chicken. Nothing seems quite right. Ideas would be appreciated.
The corn was not good. I just can't get good corn out here in CA. I prefer yellow corn and you can't get it any more. The white corn is always old and pretty flavorless. I wish I had a source where I could just pick it right off the stalk. I remember doing that when I lived in Illinois. That corn was so good. Great flavor, great chew. The chew is very important. Out here it is like biting into an apple - too crunchy.

I ran across a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that uses a combination of graham cracker crumbs and flour. It has me really curious as to how it will taste.

We had Jersey Early corn from South Jersey. It had no taste, and like you said, no chew! ....

July 12 to 15 will be the north Jersey corn. I love the yellow, and Tina likes the white Silver Queen ....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:I finally made some potato salad! I have not made it for a few years. Surprisingly, it came out really good.

That and a Sirloin Strip steak, done on a George Foreman grill was my 4th celebration supper. Along with a couple glasses of good Rose Wine.

I have leftovers for tonight!

Hope you got leftover Wine for Tonight! ... "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 2876911673

NormM

NormM

Out here, there's a bicolored corn that is good.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:The wings & ribs were a hit....found out Jake prefers his corn cut off the cob ~ not a problem with Grandma at all.  He liked the Asian glaze and the spicy Caribbean Jerk wings & ribs equally.  When he finished he said, "Well, that should hold me for an hour or so...." and promptly scraped his plate, put it into the dishwasher and got the chocolate chip cookies and Redi Wip.....squirted a big blob on top of his dish of cookies and an equally big blob into his mouth ~ not easy to smile with a big blob of whipped cream in your mouth!  Hahahahaha

I would have yelled at MY children if they had done that in front of me but somehow, the little stuff is much funnier now.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 Glazin10

Goodness.. all are my favorite meal, I wish we had an outdoor grill that I could use, Dirk likes his wood grill and I can't build the fire right.

Lots of good dinner meals in this forum.. and I love reading the chats too

Yesterday I cooked some Indonesian style short ribs in, full of spices, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, Kluwak nut, lemongrass, shallots, garlic, turmeric, and more, it's very tasty

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 2 212

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks like a whole lot of flavor going on, Imelda! I love seeing the foods from your 'homeland' part of the world. Sometimes they look very different to me from what I'm familiar with and other time I can see many similarities ~

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum