Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

226"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Our fridge is on its' last legs. It is about 14 years old. Everything plastic is either cracked or broken off. Trouble is that we need a counter depth fridge and they cost a fortune. I have my eye on an LG French door with other doors and drawers.

Katie has dined in many fine restaurants. Being a former Playboy bunny (she worked in the clubs, no nude pics) and an airline stewardess, she has eaten everywhere. She was telling us a story about eating at The Palm restaurant. She ordered a 7 pound lobster and ate the whole thing herself. I am sick just thinking about it. That must have cost a fortune.

227"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Our fridge is on its' last legs. It is about 14 years old. Everything plastic is either cracked or broken off. Trouble is that we need a counter depth fridge and they cost a fortune. I have my eye on an LG French door with other doors and drawers.

Katie has dined in many fine restaurants. Being a former Playboy bunny (she worked in the clubs, no nude pics) and an airline stewardess, she has eaten everywhere. She was telling us a story about eating at The Palm restaurant. She ordered a 7 pound lobster and ate the whole thing herself. I am sick just thinking about it. That must have cost a fortune.

I've been to The Palm but the one in Chicago, not the original in NY. They did specialize in big lobsters. I think I got surf and turf as they're known for good steaks too.

I saw a lot of counter-depth fridges during my hunt for a really well-reviewed fridge. I also saw customer-provided photos of those who did NOT get counter-depth fridges when they should have. It looks so bad when a fridge is sticking out about 4 inches or more from the counter. It made the whole kitchen look like a mistake to me.

I always thought the counter-depth fridges would be bought by short people, who I figured would have a hard time reaching all the way back in today's huge refrigerators. Didn't realize so many people needed them, as I'm not used to seeing fridges put next to counters down here.

I looked at a couple of French door fridge with that extra drawer between the fridge and the freezer on the outside but to me, it took too much room away from the main fridge. Lots of the French door fridges have that "inside" drawer running the width of the fridge that's under the two veggie drawers; that's what my current one has and seems like most of the ones I looked at online have too. We really like that drawer but I saw some people griped that you have to open both doors of the fridge in order to open that drawer. We got used to it really quickly and love that little drawer; we keep all our deli meat, cheeses, bacons and eggs in that drawer so we use it a lot. Plus it has a divider too so you can make one side larger than the other if you want.

228"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We have the Samsung French door, with the big drawer above the freezer bottom drawer. That drawer, can be programmed to be a freezer too.
We love it. All the yogurts, jelly jars, and butter etc. We call it the cheese drawer.

229"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was light today. Soup in the microwave cup, and the open faced grilled cheese.
Tina ate gum drops, and twizzlers for her supper. She is now snacking on cheese twists.

230"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Happy Birthday Beth.. I hope you had fun on your special day "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 829809188 "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 829809188

231"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Imelda.....it was a good day! Anymore, any day I wake up and am able to get out of bed to get my coffee is a 'good day'. LOL

232"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew it was going to rain today so I planned on an oven meal instead of trying to 'dodge the raindrops' and try to grill something. Robin had given us some of their 'freezer pork' when we were there and I thought a nice ham steak on top of a pot of scalloped potatoes sounded good.

I don't know if the ham was old or if I just didn't care for the smoking process that was used but we all decided to have a supper of scalloped potatoes and silver queen sweet corn (cut off the cob by request of 'the boy'). So.....WHITE supper. And it was just fine. I guess we just became vegetarians for the night! LOL

I'm pretty fussy about how things like pork are processed. If they don't use the right wood to smoke the hams with I just don't like it. I'm probably just spoiled with a lifetime of supermarket processed pork.....not that it's anything to be happy about.

233"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Eggplant Meatballs. ( Cubed blanched egg plant mixed into my meatball mix ) , and oval shaped and fried.
Take a peek at the tonights snack time doughnuts.
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Image10
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Img_0519
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Img_0518

We add sauce on top the meatballs; with grated cheese, and heat in the oven.

234"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I knew it was going to rain today so I planned on an oven meal instead of trying to 'dodge the raindrops' and try to grill something.  Robin had given us some of their 'freezer pork' when we were there and I thought a nice ham steak on top of a pot of scalloped potatoes sounded good.

I don't know if the ham was old or if I just didn't care for the smoking process that was used but we all decided to have a supper of scalloped potatoes and silver queen sweet corn (cut off the cob by request of 'the boy').  So.....WHITE supper.  And it was just fine.  I guess we just became vegetarians for the night!  LOL

I'm pretty fussy about how things like pork are processed.  If they don't use the right wood to smoke the hams with I just don't like it.  I'm probably just spoiled with a lifetime of supermarket processed pork.....not that it's anything to be happy about.

You were fussy with the pork, and I am fussy with chicken too!

235"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, your fried meatballs always look SOOOOOooooo inviting! Like I just want to sit at the table and nibble away at them!

And yer killin' me with the pics of donuts ~ ~ I am so tempted to go pick some up.....'for Jake'.....LOL

Only problem is, every time I eat good yeasty donuts I get a terrible ache. I guess that's my body's way of proving to me I shouldn't eat them. ((same thing happens with fresh, home baked bread))

236"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, your fried meatballs always look SOOOOOooooo inviting!  Like I just want to sit at the table and nibble away at them!

And yer killin' me with the pics of donuts  ~  ~  I am so tempted to go pick some up.....'for Jake'.....LOL

Only problem is, every time I eat good yeasty donuts I get a terrible ache.  I guess that's my body's way of proving to me I shouldn't eat them.  ((same thing happens with fresh, home baked bread))

The meatballs were great, and the egg plant was so sweet. No seeds! ... I love when a piece of egg plant gets crispy as frying them. Tina likes when there is a little piece of bread in the meatball. I use Kaiser rolls for the bread in the meatballs. My mom used to say,"Stretch the meat with bread!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enzymes..... take enzymes. They aid in digestion of yeasts.
An old German Dr told me that years ago, that the body after 40, needs enzymes to help digest most foods.
The Italians for example, eat fruit first; before their big meal, and then they end the meal, with more fruit. Obviously, the pectins in the fruit,
aids in digestion.
The Greeks are the same way.

237"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 pm

NormM

NormM

I smoked some baby back ribs, made some bread, scalloped corn, coleslaw and potato salad. I didn't do it all today. I made some of it ahead yesterday"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 20170723

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 20170721

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

238"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Great looking meal, Norm. Your breads always have my mouth watering!

By request, a kid's 'happy meal'......hot dogs & burgers and a bowl of Bush's beans ((not the recalled ones, a can from my pantry))

Tomorrow we'll be gone to visit family at the beach, it'll be a long day for sure but Jake is excited to see his cousins and spend the day with them. Then, Thursday will be laundry & packing day and Dane and Jake will head to Ohio to deliver him back home (and I'll be all alone in my quiet, peaceful house).

239"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ham & cheese sandwich on a Kaiser roll tonight.
A stale doughnut from yesterday, for dessert!

240"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No cooking tonight. We are watching the baby Liam today, so when son and wife come to pick him up, we will pick up pizza at ??? one of the pizza joints.

241"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper Pizza was just another commercial ho-hum, boring pizza;
made from chemicals and bland tomatoes with no seasoning at all. Rubbery cheese, and bottom hard to tear crust.
I call it "Fake Pizza!"..... that's right folks, fake. ( Gee, where have I heard something similar to this? ) ...... When, and if I get in the kitchen, I'm gonna make pizza, pizza that will make eating pizza,...."Great Again!" "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 1309145179 "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 2825942945

242"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had our beach day....'the boy' had a ball hanging out with his cousin and messing around in the water with a bunch of other kids.

We had a late lunch / early supper at the restaurant next to the campground Dane's brother & family are camping at. Fresh shrimp, clams, alligator and Jake got some chicken strips just so he wouldn't 'go hungry'. He kept saying he wasn't tired but he must have been bored to death because he slept all the way home (a 2 1/2 hour drive). LOL

243"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was 'clean-out-the-refrigerator' day.....the boys are leaving tomorrow for Ohio and I didn't want a bunch of stuff left that I would have to eat for days just to use up.

So, supper was on the grill ~ Huli Huli Boneless Chicken Thighs, Grilled Bok Choy, Smashed Potatoes and that Sam's Club 'Sweet Kale Broccoli Slaw' salad. There is a small serving of the salad leftover but that's OK with me as it's one of my favorites and with the kale and broccoli slaw it holds up well as a leftover (actually, I like it better the second day).

They'll be home for supper tomorrow (they won't leave until the middle of the night) but they both decided they wanted to go out for fish 'one more time, Grandma'......that child does love him some seafood!

244"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was dr and dentist day for Tina.
Sandwiches filled the ticket. Deli mac and potato salad.....

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Img_0521
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Img_0522

245"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 pm

NormM

NormM

Our dinner was leftovers with some grilled chicken.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 20170724

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 20170726

246"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, how do you get your chicken so brown and crispy?

Tonight I made egg foo yung. I have never had it before. Interesting. Joe and Katie liked it. It set my esophagus on fire and I have been drinking Pepto Bismol trying to get some relief.

247"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tomorrows dinner is going to be, boneless chicken thighs, browned and braised with a lot of onions, and potato wedges at the last 1/2 hour or so; and all cooked in the electric skillet..

248"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 am

NormM

NormM

Debbie, this is the recipe I used except I used an apricot spread instead of peach. I cooked them away from the coals for 20 minutes per side. After I put the glaze on the chicken, I moved them directly over the coalsand turned them every 30 seconds or so until the glaze was caramelized.

Caramelized Chicken Drumsticks With Peach Molasses Glaze KC Star Nov 2016
Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson’s Bar-B-Q of Decatur Ala. BBQ Hall of Fame

This is a grill recipe, not BBQ. 6 servings

Dry Rub
1 1/4 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. garlic salt
4 tsp. black pepper

Chicken
10-12 chicken drumsticks
Yellow mustard

Glaze
1 C. peach preserves
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tsp. Molasses

Mix dry rub. Paint chicken with light coat of mustard. Season drumsticks with dry rub (about 1 tsp per drumstick).

Build fire on one side of grill @ 350º. Place chicken on void side of grill, cover and cook 40 minutes until internal temp. of 175-180º

While cooking, combine glaze in blender until smooth and transfer to small bowl. Dip drumsticks in glaze, replace on cool side of grill, cover for 8 minutes or until glaze is caramelizes.

249"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it!. Thanks!

250"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Debbie, this is the recipe I used except I used an apricot spread instead of peach. I cooked them away from the coals for 20 minutes per side.  After I put the glaze on the chicken, I moved them directly over the coalsand turned them every 30 seconds or so until the glaze was caramelized.

Caramelized Chicken Drumsticks With Peach Molasses Glaze KC Star Nov 2016
Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson’s Bar-B-Q of Decatur Ala.  BBQ Hall of Fame

This is a grill recipe, not BBQ. 6 servings

Dry Rub
1 1/4 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. garlic salt
4 tsp. black pepper

Chicken
10-12 chicken drumsticks
Yellow mustard

Glaze
1 C. peach preserves
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tsp. Molasses

Mix dry rub. Paint chicken with light coat of mustard. Season drumsticks with dry rub (about 1 tsp per drumstick).

Build fire on one side of grill @ 350º.  Place chicken on void side of grill, cover and cook 40 minutes until internal temp. of 175-180º

While cooking, combine glaze in blender until smooth and transfer to small bowl.  Dip drumsticks in glaze, replace on cool side of grill, cover for 8 minutes or until glaze is caramelizes.

Looks Great Norm. ( ?? when you paint the mustard on the chicken, do you use a roller or a brush? ) "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 2876911673 "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 10 2876911673

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum