Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 11]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saved the egg whites when Robin was here and I made the spaetzle (drop noodles) so I had a full cup of egg whites to use for a 'short' Angel Food cake. I was surprised because I just guessed at the ratios when the original recipe called for 1 - 1/2 c. egg whites. I cut back on the other ingredients by about 1/3 and it turned out just fine.

I don't care for store bought angel food cakes because they usually use almond extract and I'm not a fan of that. I just use vanilla.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Angel_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was hot dogs and beans.....Spiral cut hot dogs with Hormel Chili Sauce, Onions & Mustard on a potato bun, Bush's beans (right out of the can and heated a bit) and succotash (using the leftover grilled corn from last night). Dane didn't want the Bush's beans, Jake didn't want the lima beans....and so everyone got what they wanted and I mixed mine to make succotash ~ 'cause that's what I like!

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Chili_10

Jake went to the store with me this afternoon (HE got to drive me in the golf cart!) and he wanted to make some Instant Jello Pudding, Oreos and Cream. And, of course, Grandma always has a can of whipped topping in her refrigerator.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Jake_s10

NormM

NormM

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 20170716

I wanted something breaded and fried, Charlie wanted buttered egg noodles so I made Chicken cutlets, noodles, a milk gravy with parmesan melted in and opened a can of green beans and a jar of bread and butter pickles.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken cutlets are super easy and yours look great.

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Supper was hot dogs and beans.....Spiral cut hot dogs with Hormel Chili Sauce, Onions & Mustard on a potato bun, Bush's beans (right out of the can and heated a bit) and succotash (using the leftover grilled corn from last night).  Dane didn't want the Bush's beans, Jake didn't want the lima beans....and so everyone got what they wanted and I mixed mine to make succotash ~ 'cause that's what I like!

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Chili_10

Jake went to the store with me this afternoon (HE got to drive me in the golf cart!) and he wanted to make some Instant Jello Pudding, Oreos and Cream.  And, of course, Grandma always has a can of whipped topping in her refrigerator.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Jake_s10

Do you have a spiral cutter for your dogs?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

Do you have a spiral cutter for your dogs?

No ~ I think I saw it on YouTube.....a bamboo skewer pushed down the middle then roll & slice in a spiral cut down the length of the hot dog, then pull the skewer out.  It's just a way to get more 'crispy' on the edges, which I like on a hot dog.....especially since I cannot find real casing dogs easily around here.

Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ybEXnow68

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Beth. I have seen it done that way and I have seen one of those As-Seen-On-Tv gadgets. I was wondering which way you did it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't usually put out $$ for something I can do with a knife or other gadget I already have in my drawer or cabinet.....unless it's something like the OXO Julienne Cutter I got for under $8 or the hand held spiral vegetable cutter I got at Aldi for $1.99....which, by the way, is a PITA to use and just sits in the cabinet since it's too large for my utensil drawer.

cookingirl

cookingirl

I just had a chicken sandwich.. rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and some really nice gourmet soft, chewy, chocolate chip cookies...

yes, Jimmy, I am going to finish the Rose Wine, later.. or should I say, soon....

NormM

NormM

I had a chicken sandwich too. Made from leftover chicken cutlet from yesterday.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had leftover microwave heated burgers with tomato and onion and mayo.
Tina had reheated pork ribs, and buttered noodles.

63"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:05 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had some burger meat that had to be cooked. I fried up a batch of fried Italian meatballs to nibble on. Haaa! I'll take a few, and put them under my pillow when I hit the fart sack tonight.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I cooked stuffed spaghetti squash today, Dirk was smiling from ear to ear.. he loves Spaghetti squash, esp the ones from his backyard, he picked one today and I browsed the net to search for some other way to cook it

Spaghetti squash with shallots, chili peppers, chopped broccoli, sausages, lots of cheese
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Dscn6813
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Dscn6814
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Dscn6815

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane & Jake went to a showing of the new Spiderman movie last night. Neither one of them wanted supper, said they'd eat at the theater where they sell all kinds of stuff. Knowing Dane, he'll just eat popcorn (his one big weakness!).

I ended up having a bowl of canned tomato soup and some grilled bread....for some reason it sounded really good for a change. Even though our weather is hot it was the only thing that came to mind and I enjoyed every 'slurp'!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, your spaghetti squash dinner looks amazing! Congrats to Dirk for babying those plants along and getting such a wonderful harvest. You always seem to make even the most ordinary ingredients into a picture perfect meal ~ you have quite a talent!

When I was on Facebook I saw a post and immediately thought of you....thought it would be something you would make for Dirk on his hikes ~ and I imagine you'll be able to add your own special spin to make it your own. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.recipetineats.com/no-washing-up-ham-egg-cheese-pockets/

cookingirl

cookingirl

Imelda, that squash looks amazing!!! Are all the veggies raw, when you put it in the oven? and cook it for what 45 min to an hour at 350-375?? never thought to do that with spaghetti squash. It is done with zucchini, for zucchini boats, but this is really good looking....yum

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so I've got a ton of pics. I should probably not post them all so you don't get bored with me but, hey, it's MY forum and I can post as many pics as I want! Hahahahaha

Mr. Amazing said he wanted grilled salmon for supper and Jake said he liked it, too, so I figured grilled salmon it would be. Since I don't care for it I planned on a split chicken breast for me. The accompaniment Dane wanted with the salmon was a buttery dill sauce, something I've tried to get 'right' (as in, what he had at a restaurant 15 years ago and still thinks he remembers the specific taste.....geesh!) So, I decided tonight to make a basic berre blanc (butter sauce) and then strain the sauce over a good amount of chopped dill. Turns out I just about hit the nail on the head. I do know 'the boy' loved it ~ he had it spooned on his salmon, his boiled potatoes and his green beans! I think he would have eaten the plate if we hadn't been sitting there and it was part of a 'set'! LOL

So, my pics are the split chicken breast on the grill, the salmon on the grill mat, the 'turned' salmon, showing the grill marks even when cooked on the non-stick grill mat (FABULOUS ~ no sticking, no falling apart, cooked beautifully), my dinner plate with chicken, Dane's dinner plate with salmon & dill, 'the boy's' plate ~ half eaten before I had a chance to take a pic LOL, and, finally, a pic of 'the boy' eating with his hands to try to get it shoved in as fast as he could. I think he was hungry.....

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Chicke10

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Salmon10

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Grill_10

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Grille12

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Mr_ama10

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Too_sl10

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Eating10

bethk

bethk
Admin

The grill mats for the gas grill worked wonderfully with the salmon tonight. I preheated my grill, as I usually do, and placed the mat on the hot grids. Then I put the salmon on skin-side down and closed the lid. It cooked until I saw it turning opaque and then I turned it over and let it finish. It didn't stick. It cooked evenly. And it held together nicely. When it registered 120° I put it on a plate and covered it with foil to 'rest' while I finished up my Buerre Blanc Sauce (had to heat the sauce and whisk in the two sticks of butter).

For anything delicate those mats seem to be just the ticket.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The grill mats for the gas grill worked wonderfully with the salmon tonight.  I preheated my grill, as I usually do, and placed the mat on the hot grids.  Then I put the salmon on skin-side down and closed the lid.  It cooked until I saw it turning opaque and then I turned it over and let it finish.  It didn't stick.  It cooked evenly.  And it held together nicely.  When it registered 120° I put it on a plate and covered it with foil to 'rest' while I finished up my Buerre Blanc Sauce (had to heat the sauce and whisk in the two sticks of butter).

For anything delicate those mats seem to be just the ticket.  

The meals look good Beth. I am glad the grill mat worked great.
Tina bought two at the walmart. I cannot wait to try it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had muscles in a white butter wine sauce. Ate this over spaghetti.
Tina had some fried meatballs, and some sweets.
She has another setback.... She whacked her baby toe someplace, and she is limping around like Walter Brennan as grandpappy in the Real Mccoy's.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Img_0510

72"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:50 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

cookingirl wrote:Imelda, that squash looks amazing!!!  Are all the veggies raw, when you put it in the oven? and cook it for what 45 min to an hour at 350-375??  never thought to do that with spaghetti squash. It is done with zucchini, for zucchini boats, but this is really good looking....yum

Thank you Cookingirl, Dirk said it tasted good too Wink .. I pierced squash several times with sharp knife to allow steam to escape and cooked in microwave for 8 minutes, I turned it once after 4 minutes.. let it cool, then I cut it in half, removed the seeds, then scrapped out the squash meat, put in a big bowl, set aside. As for stuffing I cooked them in microwave too, 2 minute to cook the sausage, frozen broccoli, shallots, chili pepper or whatever you want, then mixed with cheese and stuffed them in one of the squash shells, baked for 30 minutes.. I only used half of the squash meat.. I planned to make spaghetti squash cake with them

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, your spaghetti squash dinner looks amazing!  Congrats to Dirk for babying those plants along and getting such a wonderful harvest.  You always seem to make even the most ordinary ingredients into a picture perfect meal ~ you have quite a talent!

When I was on Facebook I saw a post and immediately thought of you....thought it would be something you would make for Dirk on his hikes ~ and I imagine you'll be able to add your own special spin to make it your own.  Here's a link to the site:

http://www.recipetineats.com/no-washing-up-ham-egg-cheese-pockets/

Thank you Beth, I have save the link and had tried it out.. it was easy and good

we like to take pictures, Dirk likes doing it more than me, he knows how to edit, bought some software for doing it.. last night he took a picture of our high school building and posted it on our community chat, he got more than a hundreds, another picture of butterflies he took on  our hike, got 400 likes , he likes to take pictures of nature, plants, landscape, animal

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 19693510
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 3 19437510

bethk

bethk
Admin

OMG....those pics are beautiful! I had to look twice at the picture of the school building ~ amazing how still the water is for the reflection. The other one looks like a flower that's growing giant butterflies! Really beautiful. Tell Dirk, for me, he should keep going and keep posting to share with the world!

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:I finally made some potato salad! I have not made it for a few years. Surprisingly, it came out really good.

That and a Sirloin Strip steak, done on a George Foreman grill was my 4th celebration supper. Along with a couple glasses of good Rose Wine.

I have leftovers for tonight!

Mmm, only thing better than a good meal is a leftover good meal!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum