Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

201"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:24 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, I don't know how big The Villages is/are, but I just read about a sinkhole that has opened up under a home. Those things freak me out. You just don't know where they are.

202"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sinkholes are common in Florida, as well as many other parts of the country. They usually don't 'swallow' up any homes, although it's entirely possible. They usually wait for them to stop growing and then dump fill in. It's when the aquafir (sp?) ~ underground water ~ finds a way to drain and then the top ground drops in to fill the void.

Not nearly as bad as the earthquakes, wild fires, etc. that you have in California ~ it's all what you get use to.

203"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight we're having cod on the grill ~ gonna use the grill mats again! Grilled asparagus and the crispy topped potatoes I made the last time.

The Boy whinned until I said I'd make the Buerre Blanc Sauce I made the last time ! what a PITA. But, hey, he's only here for a short time and I want him to remember what a wonderful Grandma he has.

204"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a huge success......'the boy' ate enough fish to turn himself into a seal! Surprisingly, the potatoes and asparagus got put on the back burner so he could have his fill of the fish. It's always a good thing to see him eat 'good food' and not want junk, although he certainly gets plenty of that in between meals.

205"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Supper was a huge success......'the boy' ate enough fish to turn himself into a seal!  Surprisingly, the potatoes and asparagus got put on the back burner so he could have his fill of the fish.  It's always a good thing to see him eat 'good food' and not want junk, although he certainly gets plenty of that in between meals.

Son Jimmy would eat a big supper, and drink a huge glass of Orange Juice right after. Then, about 20 minutes later, he would eat two big bowls, of sugar coated cereal. It's not like he didn't eat enough for supper either.

206"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight .... BLT's with cheese. Mommy T bought scallops and tilapia
for supper, but I'll see that tomorrow instead.
Got a rotisserie chicken that T wants me to make chicken salad with. Yuck!

207"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up some pork sirloin chops and a package of pre-made mashed potatoes from the refrigerator section that was on sale. I've wanted to try the packaged mashed potatoes but didn't want to buy a whole package for just myself. So, I figured if Jake was here ('the boy' will eat just about anything) I could heat half for him and grab a bite for myself to try them out. They were a little watery but I think that could be remedied by reheating in a skillet instead of in the microwave and/or toaster oven. The flavor was good and for $2 for about 4 cups, it was an inexpensive alternative to making my own mashed potatoes.

I rounded out the meal with some sweet peas for Dane and me, a baked sweet potato for him (I took about 1/4 of it) and some leftover broccoli for Jake since peas is NOT on his approved vegetable list ~ LOL.

I used the Korean Kalbi BBQ sauce on the grilled pork and it must have been OK because Jake, not a lover of pork, ended up having a second piece with the sauce slathered on.

Jimmy ~ your scallops for supper reminded me I wanted to tell you that we might go 'scalloping' next July when the season opens in Florida. Hopefully our nephew will be able to take us out in his boat. From what I understand it's a simple process of swimming down in 5' to 7' of water and plucking them off the sea bed. I spoke with a friend of mine who has gone and she said it was great fun and easy to get a 'limit' of two pints of shucked scallops per person in a couple hours.

208"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I picked up some pork sirloin chops and a package of pre-made mashed potatoes from the refrigerator section that was on sale.  I've wanted to try the packaged mashed potatoes but didn't want to buy a whole package for just myself.  So, I figured if Jake was here ('the boy' will eat just about anything) I could heat half for him and grab a bite for myself to try them out.  They were a little watery but I think that could be remedied by reheating in a skillet instead of in the microwave and/or toaster oven.  The flavor was good and for $2 for about 4 cups, it was an inexpensive alternative to making my own mashed potatoes.

I rounded out the meal with some sweet peas for Dane and me, a baked sweet potato for him (I took about 1/4 of it) and some leftover broccoli for Jake since peas is NOT on his approved vegetable list ~ LOL.

I used the Korean Kalbi BBQ sauce on the grilled pork and it must have been OK because Jake, not a lover of pork, ended up having a second piece with the sauce slathered on.  

Jimmy ~ your scallops for supper reminded me I wanted to tell you that we might go 'scalloping' next July when the season opens in Florida.  Hopefully our nephew will be able to take us out in his boat.  From what I understand it's a simple process of swimming down in 5' to 7' of water and plucking them off the sea bed.  I spoke with a friend of mine who has gone and she said it was great fun and easy to get a 'limit' of two pints of shucked scallops per person in a couple hours.
Wow! Diving for scallops sounds great. I love scallops.
Fresh are the best. So sweet! ....
Tina won't eat them. She says they are not flaky; like fish. No

(( Beth )) .... a little reminder. Don't forget fried green tomatoes.
I was cleaning the spare fridge in the downstairs laundry room, and I found a jar of green tomatoes in vinegar and olive oil that I canned.
I ficked them in the woods; because I think a year old is too much.
They smelled ok, and were crisp though!

209"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:49 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

a reminder for everyone:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BETH  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 940422454  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 940422454  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 940422454  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 940422454
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 3602300868  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 3602300868  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 3602300868  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 3602300868  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 3602300868  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 3602300868  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 3602300868  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2790317363  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2790317363  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2790317363  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2790317363  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2790317363  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 863604796  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 863604796  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 863604796  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 863604796  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 863604796  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 863604796  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016  "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 2599281016

our fearless leader!!!

210"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:31 pm

NormM

NormM

Happy Birthday!

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

211"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"Happy Birthday Beth!"
Have a great celebration.....

212"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, guys!

Dane & Jake asked me where I wanted to go for dinner and I said I'd rather have another 'crab feast'....Jake was REALLY happy! Dane's going to have a steak and Jake & I are splitting about 3 lbs. of snow crab tonight.

Going out is fun but when you want to do some SERIOUS eating ~ cooking an easy meal at home is the way to go.

I even picked up a small bakery cake and some ice cream for Jake & me to have for dessert.

213"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Happy Birthday Beth!

On a side note: don't buy or eat any papayas. There seems to be an outbreak of Sammy-nella in 12 states associated with the fruit. It is the big yellow ones with the yellow insides.

214"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Bugster!

215"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:30 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Img_0515
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Img_0516
"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Img_0517

Tina's big pot of chicken soup, and my scallops in tomato butter, and wine sauce; over spaghetti!

216"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yum, yum & TRIPLE YUM!

It all looks great, Jimmy. Now I'm thinkin' scallops.....

217"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:06 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yum, yum & TRIPLE YUM!

It all looks great, Jimmy. Now I'm thinkin' scallops.....

Thanks Beth.

218"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I bought a Foodsaver when they were doing infomercials. It has to be in the 80's or early 90's. Both my sisters poo-pooed the purchase. Thought it was a waste of money. One sister now has 3 of them. The other sister never needed one with 3 boys in the house. She couldn't keep anything in the house long enough to store. My FS is still going strong. I use them primarily for meat. I load up when there is a good sale and use the FS bags.

You were smart, Debbie, as the older ones seem to hold up better than the newer ones, just like any type of appliance these days. Laughed at your sister having three! Like you, we will probably get the most use out of it for meat; sure takes a lot less time when you're dividing meat up for the freezer. The way we used to freeze meat was wrap it in Saran wrap, usually twice, and then put it in a freezer ziplock bag and then used a heavy duty plastic straw to suck the air out of the bag before sealing! So you can see how much quicker this is for us.

The other day I was checking out the bags online and seeing if the FS website had them cheaper than other online places like Amazon, Jet, and other places that come up using Google. The FS website was indeed cheaper and had a lot of sale bags. One type of bag I didn't know they made is a large bags with "pleats" -- these are bags big enough to hold an entire turkey and expand once you stick the item inside. The ad even showed someone using one to cover a baking pan (it looked like a half-sheet pan) with appetizers spread out on it! I'm going to definitely get some of those. The trick is, per the directions, is you have to use the SEAL button two or three times in order to seal it because of the thicker pleated parts at the edge of the bag. Not really a lot of extra effort. I often buy large roasts, like a big Boston Butt, so to be able to seal it in one of those means I can keep it frozen a lot longer than I used to do.

We're both enjoying the heck out of it. Another nice thing about the model I got is that you can not only store the roll of bag material in the machine, but you can just pull out a piece of the roll while it's in place there and use the cutter to cut it. It's a lot quicker than taking the roll out each time you want to make a custom-sized bag. We're all about quick and easy in this house!

Another thing it's useful for is something I never really did until about a year ago once Beth said she did it -- put meat in a marinade and THEN freeze it. That way, once it's defrosted, it's already marinated. We've made a lot of use of that with both liquid marinades and dry rubs (I still use Mad Hunky dry rub) ever since and she was right.

The unit I bought has a marinade button so you can make the marinade absorb into the meat quicker if you take some of the air out of the bag and then seal it. Haven't tried it yet but will let you know once I try it.

219"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:We have had a food saver like that but it's a lot older.  We have it loaded with a single roll that you seal on both ends so you can make a bag any size you want.

Yep, that's what I was trying to describe to Debbie. It's neat how you can just pull out what you need and use the cutter without having to remove the roll from the unit.

220"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:She went to PA with her uncle today. He wanted to drive too. 95 years old, and still he drives.
I would be a nervous wreck driving with a person that age. He ( according to Tina ) is alert and a good driver.  Actually, he's got me beat.

You're smart, Jimmy, especially since you're not used to that kind of heat.  It has been raining so much around here for so long (June was the rainiest June on record and July looks like it's headed that way, too) that most of our temps have been milder than usual.  Yesterday there was quite the storm.  Some areas of the city got 4.5 inches of rain in an hour so, of course, there was some street flooding.  Our pumps can handle one inch of rain in the first hour and then 1/2-inch each hour thereafter; anything over that and you start getting ponding on a lot of streets and deep water in the areas that are low or where the street dips down like it does under some bridges and overpasses.  

There are ALWAYS people who try to drive thru the high water, too, like the lady on the news yesterday whose car was stuck in water up to the door handles under a bridge; she stupidly moved the barricades that had been put up before the low-lying area and tried to drive thru it.  She said the pickup truck in front of her got thru just fine so she thought she could do it, too.  I say it's just not worth ruining your car.  If it rains that much and we're out, we KNOW which areas to avoid; if you've lived here any length of time, the same areas flood with heavy rains so you can just avoid them easily.  And if we come to one where water looks deep, we either back up or if you're boxed in, you either sit there and wait it out or walk back and try to get those behind you to start backing up.  

We're lucky as even in those torrential rains, our area is high and water never even gets near the curb.  Plus we can be coming from the other side of the river and the route we take to get home is always high and dry -- as long as you take that same route!  It's usually forecast ahead of time so if you're retired like us, you can just stay home and avoid all the headaches.

221"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:Supper was a huge success......'the boy' ate enough fish to turn himself into a seal!  Surprisingly, the potatoes and asparagus got put on the back burner so he could have his fill of the fish.  It's always a good thing to see him eat 'good food' and not want junk, although he certainly gets plenty of that in between meals.

Son Jimmy would eat a big supper, and drink a huge glass of Orange Juice right after. Then, about 20 minutes later, he would eat two big bowls, of sugar coated cereal.  It's not like he didn't eat enough for supper either.

Careful, as we'll start calling you the "other boy" soon!

222"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Got a rotisserie chicken that T wants me to make chicken salad with. Yuck!  

Those things are so handy and a real bargain, too. I smiled at your remark 'cause I usually get Brian to pick the rotisserie chicken, too. I use some for chicken salad, and then the remainder either goes on a sandwich, or gets made into tacos or chicken enchiladas. And you can whip up any kind of sauce or chicken gravy, too, and just throw that chicken in to heat it up when you're finished. I love those things! They're usually $5.99 each down here (they went up a buck last year at most groceries) and if they're from the day before, they drop the price to $4.99. How much do y'all pay for them, Jimmy?

223"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:35 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chicken for supper tonight. Dane & I had a bone-in, skin-on breast seasoned with my Hungarian Steak Seasoning and 'the boy' got a boneless breast pounded to even thickness and breaded with panko, crisped up in my little cast iron skillet. I finished off the store bought mashed potatoes (they were much better heated in a skillet on the stove top (less moisture retained) and made a dish of plain rice to fill in with, hoping to have some leftover rice to reheat with the leftover beef stirfry from the other night. Broccoli was the veg of choice.

'The boy' saved about 1/3 of his chicken cutlet and some broccoli to eat ~ ~ 'I'll just have this in a half hour or so....." LOL

224"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Happy Birthday, Beth! Sorry I'm late but I've been suffering from the "red eye" all week after losing Brian's Uncle Al so I haven't been around much.

I don't blame you for preferring your "crab feast," as we often choose staying home for our birthdays, too, and cooking something either special or pricey. We're drink alcohol when we go out, too, so once you add in a couple of drinks or glasses of wine for me and beers for Brian and a good tip, you can always beat that by cooking at home.

We wanted to get out of the house last Tuesday while Lynn cleaned our house and I thought going to get a new refrigerator would take my mind off Uncle Al. You know I must've been feeling bad as I was taking Brian with me to the store where I am obliged to buy the new fridge. Even though our GE French door fridge is 5 years old, we fussed to the extended warranty company for the 5 repairs we've had to it with the last two requiring we unload the whole fridge for repair. Then the same part froze up again (design flaw) and we'd have to unload it again so we really fussed. They gave us a little over $1600 towards a new one. I'd really like an LG but the darn store doesn't carry LG and last time I inquired, wouldn't order one for me either.

Once I realized my error and he said he was hungry, I diverted the car and drove to a nice local restaurant not too far away for a late lunch/early dinner, The Wabbit, as they serve straight through from lunch to dinner. Good food, tool. I initially ordered the small steak special and Brian ordered a sloppy roast beef poor boy. But then I saw her walk by with soft shell crab, one of my favorites! Since they already started the steak, he took the steak once she told me (since it wasn't on the menu except to "add" to a seafood platter, too much food for me) they would serve me two soft shell crabs as entrée. Boy, were they good! And huge, too, which is unusual. I could only finish one and the legs off the other but took it home for the next day. I actually thought of you, Beth, as you can choose two sides there and their side of the day was zucchini and yellow squash smothered with onions. I always pick squash as we rarely have it at home because of you know who.

The only drawback is I've yet to go get the darn fridge! I keep reading online reviews and have decided they're all pieces of junk but am just trying to avoid ones with what seem to be design flaws. This will be our fifth refrigerator in 19 years! A Kenmore, a Kitchenaid, a GE and a Whirlpool or maybe it was Frigidaire. Love the French door type, though, with the wide fridge as we've really gotten to love it and want the biggest one I can get so I think I might have to go over the $2,000 I figured I'd spend. Thank goodness for the $1600+ credit. The nice thing is this place will price match for 30 days and I know I can beat their prices now that I've searched every conceivable brand and price locally....

225"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 9 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Got a rotisserie chicken that T wants me to make chicken salad with. Yuck!  

Those things are so handy and a real bargain, too.  I smiled at your remark 'cause I usually get Brian to pick the rotisserie chicken, too.  I use some for chicken salad, and then the remainder either goes on a sandwich, or gets made into tacos or chicken enchiladas.  And you can whip up any kind of sauce or chicken gravy, too, and just throw that chicken in to heat it up when you're finished.  I love those things!  They're usually $5.99 each down here (they went up a buck last year at most groceries) and if they're from the day before, they drop the price to $4.99.  How much do y'all pay for them, Jimmy?
haaaaaaa.... it was an oven stuffer for &495.
I asked Tina, "Where did you get the chicken, in the dumpster?"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum