Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 15]

101"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I went into Home Goods today and saw bags of the strangest pasta I have ever seen. The first had to have been two feet long. Long tubes. What and how do you use it? The second looked like escargot shells. Another looked like tagliatelle but narrower. Then there was black pasta (squid ink, I think). And various other oddities. I would love to know how they are used.

102"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I went into Home Goods today and saw bags of the strangest pasta I have ever seen. The first had to have been two feet long. Long tubes. What and how do you use it? The second looked like escargot shells. Another looked like tagliatelle but narrower. Then there was black pasta (squid ink, I think). And various other oddities. I would love to know how they are used.

The long tubes years ago, used to be called Zita.... when they were cut smaller like what we know today as Ziti, we called them Cut Zita.

As far as the weird shapes, usually importing company's or stores like Home Goods or Marshals buy up and offer them for sale.

The long Zita tubes, my mother never bought. She hated them, because they made so much noise trying to suck them up. Mom didn't allow silly stuff at the table.

103"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:06 pm

NormM

NormM

The store had lamb stew meat today. I rarely see that. I also saw a recipe for Irish stew recently so that is what I made along with a Jaques Pepin recipe for green beans.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 DSCN3772_zpswy2wbnut

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

104"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:51 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had the birthday celebration for sons MIL ; at his house.
Way too windy and cold out to have it on the deck. It was 58 degrees and 15 mph wind gusts.
There were like 30 people there, and it started at 2, and we left at like 5:15.
Tina's uncle came up, and he left his car here. We had to get back early so it would be light out for him to drive easily. He's 94. .... WOW!

Tina made two pans of lasagna, and DD made 2 pans of sausage and peppers.
Desserts were awesome. DIL made tons of horderves .... I loved the crispy chicken bites; wrapped with bacon. They had to be good for me to eat chicken.

105"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:54 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Fall has certainly hit NJ. It was in the 90's out here today.

106"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:33 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am just shot. We couldn't find one of cats this morning. Horrible scenarios were going through our heads. We thought that somehow he got out and was lost or worse, eaten by a coyote. He got out last night but not where you think. Katie has a large enclosure that butts up to her window where the dogs can come and go to do their business. Katie and Joe got home after midnight last night and when they came in they let the dogs out to run around the house and were let outside to pee. Noogie must have been feeling adventurous and so he went into Katie's room and out into the enclosure. When the dogs came back, he was trapped and spent the entire night outdoors. JEEEZ! I don't know how people with kids do it. Nerves of steel is what you need.

Tonight is chicken chow mein. I hope this new recipe is better than the last batch.

Katie and Joe were at a birthday party last night and they were telling me about an appetizer they had: roasted buffalo cauliflower with blue cheese dipping sauce. Anyone ever had some?

107"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 said, "Katie and Joe were at a birthday party last night and they were telling me about an appetizer they had: roasted buffalo cauliflower with blue cheese dipping sauce. Anyone ever had some?"

I've seen recipes on Pinterest for Buffalo Cauliflower - one was super easy.....just oven roasted cauliflower covered with bottled Buffalo hot sauce. It was served with a blue cheese homemade dip. If you don't roast the cauliflower too much and it still has some body to it, I bet it would be good.

108"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We've been eating light lunches so early suppers are in order....and, quite honestly, I think it's helped with any indigestion issues we both have on occasion.  I couldn't decide what to fix so I thought I'd resort to my old "what ever you see first when you open the freezer is what you have" ~ so tonight was bean soup with corn muffins.

I'm such a smart a$$.....how easy is that?  LOL

The bean soup, although very 'thin' looking had good flavor.  I remember when I made it (Dane's favorite 'HamBeenz 15-bean mix') that I didn't have any canned/jarred Navy beans to add.  The canned beans get added to give a thicker and more viscous bean soup, IMO.  But if you don't have 'em, you do without......and it was just fine.

The corn muffins were Jiffy Mix....1/3 c. milk, 1 egg....bake at 400° for 15 minutes.  

Phew~I'm exhausted from preparing such a huge meal.....

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_20161010_170120090

(by the way....did anyone else notice our old friend, The Sweetest Pea, checked in today and posted a link to a rice pudding recipe for Lore?  She didn't have much to say but I'm really hoping she'll stop back and bring us up to date on how she's doing.  We've missed her!)

109"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:46 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

(Marinated) Pork Chops on the Grill

Herb & Butter (flavored) Rice

Lettuce Salad

110"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:37 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

NormM wrote:I have not used the smoker much this year but today I smoked some spare ribs.  Last night I made some sourdough and we had both with store bought slaw, beans and potato salad.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 DSCN3768_zpsomtfahkr

Norm, those are some nice lookin' ribs!

bethk wrote:I saw a recipe in my latest 'Cooking Light' magazine and made a "sort-of" spin off of that.  Spaghetti Pie.

A bit of spaghetti sauce with some ground beef, Italian seasoning, onion, jarred marinara, mozzarella, spinach, egg and spaghetti.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_20161005_171553800

Mr. Amazing gave it a 'thumbs-up'.  I made a tossed salad with a simple white basalmic vinegarette and split a bakery roll between the two of us.

Beth, your Spaghetti Pie, looks delicious!

bethk wrote:Not wanting to take a chance we might lose power, I put my ribs in the oven early this afternoon.  They came out just the way I like them, NOT falling off the bone but requiring a bit of 'bite'.  I used a Georgia Peach sauce on mine and his half rack got the Caribbean Jerk from Buffalo Wild Wings that he really likes.  Little yukon golds baked and some tri-colored carrots I picked up when we stopped in at Trader Joe's when we were near Orlando earlier in the week.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_20161006_161744774

WOW Beth, your ribs and potatoes look sooo good!

bethk wrote:I'm still in my 'supper funk' ~ trying to find/think of something interesting for our meal.  I saw some brats in the freezer this morning so I decided to thaw them out.  Ended up with beer braised/grilled brats w/sauerkraut, Penzey seasoned green beans and squash patties made from the leftover honeynut squash I baked off last night.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_20161008_165739933_HDR

Beth, beer brats and sauerkraut are always good, and your squash patties sound quite delish too!

Beth, how did you make those squash patties?

bethk wrote:The jambalaya must have been OK.....ONE of us went back for seconds after checking the calorie count on his food program.  One serving was plenty for me because I also had a huge serving of tossed salad with a simple white basalmic vinegarette.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_20161009_171244074

Beth, I've never had Jambalaya, and this one certainly looks quite delish!

NormM wrote:The store had lamb stew meat today. I rarely see that. I also saw a recipe for Irish stew recently so that is what I made along with a Jaques Pepin recipe for green beans.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 DSCN3772_zpswy2wbnut

Norm, I've never had Lamb meat, nor Irish Stew, but yours' certainly looks delicious! Actually, your whole dinner looks quite delish!

bethk wrote:We've been eating light lunches so early suppers are in order....and, quite honestly, I think it's helped with any indigestion issues we both have on occasion.  I couldn't decide what to fix so I thought I'd resort to my old "what ever you see first when you open the freezer is what you have" ~ so tonight was bean soup with corn muffins.

I'm such a smart a$$.....how easy is that?  LOL

The bean soup, although very 'thin' looking had good flavor.  I remember when I made it (Dane's favorite 'HamBeenz 15-bean mix') that I didn't have any canned/jarred Navy beans to add.  The canned beans get added to give a thicker and more viscous bean soup, IMO.  But if you don't have 'em, you do without......and it was just fine.

The corn muffins were Jiffy Mix....1/3 c. milk, 1 egg....bake at 400° for 15 minutes.  

Phew~I'm exhausted from preparing such a huge meal.....

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_20161010_170120090

Beth, your Bean Soup sounds wonderful!!

Beth, I haven't used a Jiffy Muffin Mix in years. I always wonder if their Cornbread Muffins are still as good as they use to be.

111"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

1DomesticGoddess wrote:

Beth, beer brats and sauerkraut are always good, and your squash patties sound quite delish too!

Beth, how did you make those squash patties?

Beth, your Bean Soup sounds wonderful!!

Beth, I haven't used a Jiffy Muffin Mix in years. I always wonder if their Cornbread Muffins are still as good as they use to be.

The squash patties were pretty simple. I mashed the leftover squash (it was only about 1 cup) and seasoned with s&p, added an egg yolk and mixed it well. I split the amount into two 'blobs' and stuck the dish in the freezer to let the soft mixture firm up. Then I sprinkled some flour on top and picked each up carefully with a wide spatula and flipped it flour side down in a hot buttered pan. Sprinkled the other side with just a bit of flour and when ready, carefully turned and let the second side get a bit of a crust on it. They were soft and a bit difficult to deal with.....but it wasn't for company so I really didn't care if they were a bit messy. They were tasty.

The Jiffy Mix muffins were same as they've always been. I should have remembered to give the paper liners a bit of a PAM spritz as they always seem to adhere and then rip apart. But it's such an easy (and inexpensive) way to have a bread side for something like beans or greens.

Tonight was burger patties on the grill and sauteed zucchini and onions. Love using that Hungarian steak seasoning on my meats!

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_20161011_173233579_HDR

112"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

This is what is for dinner:"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 <a href="OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_0010" />

113"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

looks good Beth........

We had hot dogs from a place called "Hot Dog Johnny's" on Route # 46 in Buttzville, NJ.

It's a famous pit stop.

114"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:This is what is for dinner:"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 <a href="OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_0010" />

Wow!... roasted meow meow! ...LOL

115"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:45 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Bugster2 wrote:This is what is for dinner:"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_0010

Oh my gosh, that is just too cute!

Cats do like to lay in unusual places, don't they?

116"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

1DomesticGoddess wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:This is what is for dinner:"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 IMG_0010

Oh my gosh, that is just too cute!

Cats do like to lay in unusual places, don't they?

Cats love to help you unpack boxes. Those are Katie's cats Boo and her baby Jennifurr. I washed the insert and put it out of reach of the cats. The cats spent the day sleeping inside the Styrofoam inserts. The box was also thoroughly inspected.

117"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Niagara Visitor

Dinner tonight was some more of fisherman son's Lake Erie pickeral (caught yesterday) some Brussel's sprouts and carrots. Almost time to put the boat away for the winter. I hope he has some in the freezer for me.

118"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:19 pm

NormM

NormM

I marinated a chicken in Korean BBQ sauce then smoked it in the smoker. I also made a cherry clafoutis.

we had them with rice, kimchi and a sesame oil dipping sauce. We had ice cream with dessert.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 DSCN3777_zpsevlfedzr

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 DSCN3780_zpsipzx80vj

119"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:46 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your chicken looks fabulous!  I'll bet the sweetness of the Korean marinade was really good with a bit of a smokey flavor.  

Bugster ~ having cats on my counter would be the 'final straw' for me.  I never caught my cat on my kitchen counter in the 17 years we had him.  The idea of cat feet walking on my counters and cat hair shedding where I prep food was something I couldn't deal with.  You're a much more tolerant person than I, that's for sure!

Oh, gosh, Lore.....soon no more fresh fish ~ so sorry! LOL I'll bet he has a bunch in the freezer and will drop them by every once in a while for you this winter. Does he ever go out ice fishing for perch? Dane use to do that every few years. The winter perch were the sweetest and best ever.

120"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:01 am

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth The chicken was good.

121"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:40 am

Niagara Visitor

Yes, they go ice fishing, on Lake Simcoe. But not very often.

122"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:14 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, my two cats never get on the counter and they never are interested in boxes, bags or roaster ovens. Katie's 3 cats are another problem entirely. They are all over the counters, the dining table, the bar, the chairs and as you saw, in my new roaster. Every morning there are large clumps of fur everywhere that I have to pick up. Anything that has the slightest bit of grease on it attracts cat hair like a magnet. My stainless appliances also have fur on them. It is a losing battle. I can't win. If we can, in the next house we have, it will have a dedicated cat room and her cats will only be allowed into her room(s) and the cat room. I have had enough fur. My cats are no problem so they can roam around. I would also like a large screened in porch that the cats can use and an enclosure so her dogs can go outside safely and do their business. Katie doesn't have enough money to live on by herself and I can't kick her out. I have thought of selling the house (I own it) and taking the money and running away but that really isn't much of an answer. I really don't know what to do. Another thing is that Katie needs a keeper (my husband) that makes sure bills are paid. Right now she is having IRS problems and has to come up with $1000 for tax returns that need filing since 2013. Someone gave her the wrong answer and she hasn't filed since then and she is in trouble. She also maxed out her credit card and that needs to be paid off. What Joe out to do is to take her money and give her an allowance and take her credit card away from her but we don't have the right to do that. All Joe can do is what he is doing now.

123"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:24 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Salmon tonight with roasted asparagus.

OMG! I forgot to tell you. I was online this morning looking at the food ads. I was looking at Vons/Safeway. I am looking at the front page and I see choice chuck, tri tip and various other roasts for $2.97/lb. A bargain. Then I look at the top of the page and see that the ad is for Arizona not California. I get on CA's ad and the same meat is $5.99/lb. What? Just because I live in CA you can screw us over on grocery prices? Apparently so. I am half tempted to write to corporate and complain. I am sure that I would get a lame excuse about logistics or something.

124"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:34 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

My guy (cat) used to love to investigate the kitchen counters.. I broke him of that. Every time I saw him on either the counter, or the kitchen table, I went over to him, loudly saying "Bad Boy!! Get Down!! Down" BAD BOY, NO!"""

I had to it several times, before he became trained. At first he would just look at me, and stretch.. I literally had to shoo him off it...

Now, he will occasionally check out what is on the kitchen table, but when he sees me, his ears go back, all I have to do is point my hand down to the ground and say, "get down" or "Down"....

He does not jump on my counter anymore.. although, who knows what he does when I am sleeping...

Even when he runs out of my apartment, all I have to do is keep my door open, go after him and point--he runs back in, with his ears back and body low to the ground...

He was trained well by his original owner.. I just had to update his training...

I love my guy..

125"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 5 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:52 am

NormM

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:Beth, my two cats never get on the counter and they never are interested in boxes, bags or roaster ovens. Katie's 3 cats are another problem entirely. They are all over the counters, the dining table, the bar, the chairs and as you saw, in my new roaster. Every morning there are large clumps of fur everywhere that I have to pick up. Anything that has the slightest bit of grease on it attracts cat hair like a magnet. My stainless appliances also have fur on them. It is a losing battle. I can't win. If we can, in the next house we have, it will have a dedicated cat room and her cats will only be allowed into her room(s) and the cat room. I have had enough fur. My cats are no problem so they can roam around. I would also like a large screened in porch that the cats can use and an enclosure so her dogs can go outside safely and do their business. Katie doesn't have enough money to live on by herself and I can't kick her out. I have thought of selling the house (I own it) and taking the money and running away but that really isn't much of an answer. I really don't know what to do. Another thing is that Katie needs a keeper (my husband) that makes sure bills are paid. Right now she is having IRS problems and has to come up with $1000 for tax returns that need filing since 2013. Someone gave her the wrong answer and she hasn't filed since then and she is in trouble. She also maxed out her credit card and that needs to be paid off. What Joe out to do is to take her money and give her an allowance and take her credit card away from her but we don't have the right to do that. All Joe can do is what he is doing now.

Or you can get a carpet and furniture that matches the cat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum