Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 15]

226"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:43 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Question: What kind of mixing bowls do you have? (don't count mixer bowls)
Are they nesting sets? How many sets? What material and do they have lids or handles?

We have a set of stainless steel bowls that nest that we use the most. We also have a set of plastic bowls that nest that we also use, especially Brian to mix his brownies. I myself hate plastic but I use them. Some of them still have lids and some lids went the way of missing socks....where do they go?! I recently bought some round and oblong "Lock and Lock" plastic sealer containers with tops (each one nests inside the other one) from QVC. They have really come in handy as we can seal each one of them and if you drop them from the fridge, they don't break and thus you don't have to clean up the floor. They're clear with dark navy tops...

Would like a nesting set of stainless steel bowls with rings so I could hang them from the pot rack but I don't have much room on the pot rack either! Lately, I'm trying to remove and get rid of pots on the rack that I've had for years and hardly use anymore or hardly used at all over the years. I put them out by the curb in a box with a prominent sign saying, "Please take! FREE!" and they're usually gone in a couple of hours.

227"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:46 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

yes, I am really disliking the Corelle right now. When they break, they shatter into a million sharp pieces and fly all over the place!!

The ceramic floor in the kitchen is really hard, so things always break..

Feeling that if and when all this Corelle is gone, I will use up my stoneware.. but they are so heavy and so old..
The Corelle is very lightweight..

Although, with the klutzy hands I have, carpel tunnel, anything is possible for me to break...

I have been dropping so many things and acting as a real klutz this week..I have my old pair of eyeglasses on because the ones I was wearing had one lens with several cracks in it.. spontaneous cracks because the prescription is so strong and they tried to compress it into an ultrathin lens..the script is just a bit off, just enough to make me a klutz!!

I do not have to pay for the replacement lenses.. they do both at the same time, not just one. My glasses are guaranteed for an entire year.. Love this optician.. it is a one man shop and I have been going there for years....

Yeah, I thought about eating the steak.. I even wiped it off twice.. as I was waiting for the squash to finish baking, I thought it would be really stupid if I had eaten it, got a small sharp piece, torn my mouth or my insides.. It would sound really stupid...

It was a good steak also.. a thick New York Strip..Angus Beef... I cooked it really good also. I pan fried in unsalted butter, turning a couple of times while constantly basting it with butter...it was a bit overdone for me.. medium instead of medium rare, but tasted so good...

Picking up my glasses this afternoon.
I will not feel like cooking because my vision will have to readjust to the prescription..so it may be a piece of rotisserie chicken from the store...

228"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I feel your pain, Michelle....nothing I like less than spending MY good money and getting problems with appliances. And the workmanship of the installers is NOT what it use to be. In years past the owner of the company you purchased from would have called to apologize and ask if there was anything else, anything at all, they could do to make it up to you.

Now days they just shrug their shoulders and walk away....

229"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs - I have a set of stainless nesting bowls and a set of Pyrex (4) nesting w/pouring spouts on either side. Couldn't live without either.

The Pyrex ones have faded but are still my favorites. Got them as a wedding shower gift 48 years ago!

230"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

Pot luck in my building tonight. I have made meatloaf (two regular loaf sized pans). There is a sign up sheet in the lobby. It will be interesting to see what others bring. Tables are decorated nicely with fresh flowers in a fall theme, and decorations are for Halloween!

Weather is conducive to staying in, cool rain, dreary!

231"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookingirl, I win the prize today with being a klutz. I pulled out my spice drawer and picked up a container of spice mix. It seemed hard so I gave it a good shake - all over everything - the drawer, the floor, my hair. The top flew off and I have been working an hour to clean the mess up. Sounds like a long time but when I started pulling jars out, I started organizing and discarding and that turns a small job into a big one.
As for glasses, my prescription is really bad too. A minus 8.5. New lenses cost at least $500 for thin. The lenses make my eyes look so small - like a sewer rat. I hate them but I stopped wearing contacts years ago because I nap so often and naps and contacts don't mix. If I don't get thin lenses, regular ones would be so heavy and thick that I would look like a geek.

232"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Right now...hahaha...I am wearing those adjustable glasses as seen on TV. They work great especially for reading and up close.
They cost $29.99 on Amazon.
Now that my eyes are done and new lenses are installed, these adjustable ones work a lot better.

I will surely need new glasses, but that will be later for sure!

It's funny. Before the surgery, I saw everything in a blur. Now, I see somewhat clear, and as I look in the mirror, I see a face, that looks like a coconut. All cracks and blotches. Droopy Eye Lids and all! .....LOL

233"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:58 pm

NormM

NormM

In the last year, my distance vision improved to the point I have 20/20 vision again but my short sighted has gotten worse. I noticed that several months ago, I was driving with my prescription sunglasses and I thought they were dirty but when I took them off, I could see better. I put on my regular glasses and could not see as well as without them too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

234"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, had I been there....I would have helped you clean up ~ AFTER, of course, I drank a strong Bloody Mary to stop my side from hurting from all the laughter!

I go to water aerobics at noon so I had a 'brunch' of some spaghetti squash about 10:30 this morning. Then, by 1:15 or so when I get home it's really too late for lunch, especially after a quick shower and hanging my suit & towel out to dry. So, some days supper is before 5 pm ~ which Mr. Amazing really doesn't seem to mind.

Tonight was another 'Salad Supper' ~ mixed greens with sugar snap peas, carrot, celery, red pepper, egg, chicken (leftover) and farro. I've been playing around with homemade dressings. Tonight's was white basalmic vinegar, rice wine vinegar & just a splash of cider vinegar, about a tsp. of Hellmann's mayo to help it come together, some s&p and a neutral oil (canola). When I tasted it I decided it needed a few drops of chili sesame oil, some soy sauce and then just a tiny squeeze of honey to play off the soy.

As usual, I was able to eat 2/3 to 3/4 of my plateful so I left it on the table and HE was able to finish his and then the last bit of mine.

Good thing he no longer thinks I have cooties! LOL

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 IMG_20161020_164100436

235"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Salmon patties, fried potato slices. Pea Soup with diced ham.
krispy kreme doughnuts for dessert.

236"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:29 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I feel your pain, Michelle....nothing I like less than spending MY good money and getting problems with appliances.  And the workmanship of the installers is NOT what it use to be.  In years past the owner of the company you purchased from would have called to apologize and ask if there was anything else, anything at all, they could do to make it up to you.

Now days they just shrug their shoulders and walk away....

Things ended up turning out alright, Cyn, as the repairman called and spoke to Brian. He'd told Brian we'd need a plumber soon as the "place" where the water is under the sink which connects to the appliance, I think, would need replacing/updating soon. As you can tell, I don't know what I'm saying. He told Brian to try turning that area a little bit as it might be stuck and Brian did it and it worked. The amount of water getting to the faucet increased. I was upstairs so I didn't even know about it. Brian is going to ask his friend who does plumbing work to come and fix it for us. He knows what he's doing and only charges us a reasonable fee to come out (and will go get the parts he needs, too, so we don't get the wrong thing!).

So we lucked out as it sounds like everything was our fault after all!

I'm just thrilled it's working and the water pressure is back up to normal. Like Uncle Jimmy, we like good water pressure!

237"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The Pyrex ones have faded but are still my favorites.  Got them as a wedding shower gift 48 years ago!

Wow! One of my Pyrex measuring cups is all faded so I asked Brian to pick me up another 2-cup measure and he did. The only drag is they have a lot less measurements marked on the side -- like no 1/3 and 2/3 or 1/8 and 3/8. He bought one in the supermarket so I'll probably be able to find a better one online. And I'm going to check out those ones you can see standing up now, as maybe they have all of the old measurement markers. What would it hurt to put more of them? No one would complain that there are too many measurement marks on the side of this glass pourer!

238"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:Michelle, had I been there....I would have helped you clean up ~ AFTER, of course, I drank a strong Bloody Mary to stop my side from hurting from all the laughter!

Beth, you had me going back and reading my messages from last night when I saw this. My first thought was that I'm getting so old not only did I do something funny, but I forgot what I did! But when I didn't see anything, I figured you must've meant to say that to Bugster/Debbie when she dumped that spice all over her and her kitchen.

Debbie, I chastise Brian every time he puts a cap on something but doesn't tighten it. I just KNOW I'm going to do what you did and then I told him I'm going to have to kill him!! AND I'm going to need help cleaning it up. What a drag!

239"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Right now...hahaha...I am wearing those adjustable glasses as seen on TV. They work great especially for reading and up close.
Now that my eyes are done and new lenses are installed, these adjustable ones work a lot better.

It's funny. Before the surgery, I saw everything in a blur. Now, I see somewhat clear, and as I look in the mirror, I see a face, that looks like a coconut. All cracks and blotches. Droopy Eye Lids and all! .....LOL

Jimmy, I was curious about those glasses wondering if they would work. What are they called and have you used them for driving?

240"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Right now...hahaha...I am wearing those adjustable glasses as seen on TV. They work great especially for reading and up close.

Jimmy, I was curious about those glasses wondering if they would work. What are they called and have you used them for driving?

Debbie, I bought them through Amazon. They sell them at some Walmarts too. They didn't work for driving, but after my cataracts are removed, I can turn the little screws, and sight them in for Nearsightedness ( looking far away ), and they are clear for the first time in 6 years. So NOW I can see driving.

My reading vision is not too good, but with these glasses, I can adjust them for looking close and reading, and I see great.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 5103D6mkEoL._SX425_

They are not pretty, but they work. I paid $34.00 for them.
See the little adjuster knobs on each side at top of the glasses? Those are the knobs to sight them in.   What a Face  

241"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here is what they look like as worn by Mr. Ugly Uncle Jimmy. LOL

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 VAv207

242"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:54 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Bethk wrote:Michelle, had I been there....I would have helped you clean up ~ AFTER, of course, I drank a strong Bloody Mary to stop my side from hurting from all the laughter!

Beth, you had me going back and reading my messages from last night when I saw this.  My first thought was that I'm getting so old not only did I do something funny, but I forgot what I did!  But when I didn't see anything, I figured you must've meant to say that to Bugster/Debbie when she dumped that spice all over her and her kitchen.  

Debbie, I chastise Brian every time he puts a cap on something but doesn't tighten it.  I just KNOW I'm going to do what you did and then I told him I'm going to have to kill him!!  AND I'm going to need help cleaning it up.  What a drag!  

You're right, Michelle....it WAS Debbie!

And, Debbie, I would have helped YOU clean up, too. I also would have spent time to catch those errant cats and I would have wrapped them in duct tape to keep 'em from shedding all over.....works every time! LOL

243"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:41 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Here is what they look like as worn by Mr. Ugly Uncle Jimmy. LOL

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 VAv207

You look good, Jimmy! Have you lost some weight? No kidding, you look great!

244"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:12 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy. When Katie got infected with the Cytomegalovirus (CMV) it affected her vision. When she reads she uses reading glasses and a magnifying glass. She is going to give these glasses a try. I ordered them for her through BBB because we got 20% off and free shipping. Plus, if she can't see out of them there will not be any issues returning them to the store. They are hideous looking but you manage to look ok in them. Katie is just going to use them for reading but she might see how they work for driving.

245"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Jimmy. When Katie got infected with the Cytomegalovirus (CMV) it affected her vision. When she reads she uses reading glasses and a magnifying glass. She is going to give these glasses a try. I ordered them for her through BBB because we got 20% off and free shipping. Plus, if she can't see out of them there will not be any issues returning them to the store. They are hideous looking but you manage to look ok in them. Katie is just going to use them for reading but she might see how they work for driving.

Great. I hope they work ok for her.

246"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:02 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, you look really good it those glasses. Glad you found something that helps..

from what I have heard, it is really hard going through the unequal vision after having one eye with cataract surgery. Your vision is off and glasses are almost impossible to use because the vision is so off.

It is good to know that there is an alternative..

Glad you found it..

BTW, you do look good in that picture.. I was also wondering if you lost weight? You can see it in your face...

247"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy, you look really good it those glasses. Glad you found something that helps..

from what I have heard, it is really hard going through the unequal vision after having one eye with cataract surgery. Your vision is off and glasses are almost impossible to use because the vision is so off.

It is good to know that there is an alternative..

Glad you found it..

BTW, you do look good in that picture.. I was also wondering if you lost weight? You can see it in your face...

I didn't lose that much! 2 lbs maybe. LOL What it is, is all the muscle and body fat, starts drooping, and it pulls on the neck and face downward.... LOL.

248"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, Jimmy, you're a handsome man no matter what you have on your face!

Tonight was 'Clean-Out-the-Refrigerator' supper. I reheated the leftover marinated/grilled London broil, lightly fried the leftover acorn squash and made a huge bowl of beans/corn/onion/bacon. It's amazing how much room you DON'T have when your refrigerator is full of leftover dishes.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 IMG_20161021_165814013

249"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, Jimmy, you're a handsome man no matter what you have on your face!

Tonight was 'Clean-Out-the-Refrigerator' supper.  I reheated the leftover marinated/grilled London broil, lightly fried the leftover acorn squash and made a huge bowl of beans/corn/onion/bacon.  It's amazing how much room you DON'T have when your refrigerator is full of leftover dishes.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 IMG_20161021_165814013

Thank you Beth....

Your clean out meal looks great! I know what you mean about leftover containers.
I just looked today, and there was the 1 tbs. of macaroni in this big plastic container. One slice of cheese in another flat container that holds over a pound of sliced Land O Lakes.

BTW....You had asked me how Evelyn was doing. Evelyn Is just starting to cook and enjoy life. A miracle of her lungs is cancer free of stage 4 after 3 years of fighting it. She has attributed it to the different Mushroom supplements she is taking, and the supplements to keep her body Alkaline. Cancer loves Acidic. Her right foot is healing nicely, after toe and bone removal due to her diabetes.
She is Great Grandma Evelyn here, and was ( E Read ) on Cooking . Com

I've got to try those beans / corn / onion / bacon combo.

250"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 10 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What was for supper??? Tina...candy / mashed potatoes. Massive stomach issues last night.

I ate light also. 1/2 english muffin with a slice of cheese. A little candy bar from the trick or treat bucket.I feel better now, but it's 3 in the morning. I'm staying up to help poor Tina. She had two leg cramp attacks at 11 & 12 midnight. Ankles...top of feet, calves / and thighs. Screaming with pain.
This is two day's in a row she got these nasty cramps. She is drinking gallons of liquids, so it's not that she's dehydrated.
I better hit the hay! Soon. I will turn into a pumpkin.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum