Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 19]

226JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I would like to say I made it from fresh Italian plum tomatoes but I use San Marzano canned.

I bought the ravioli fresh made not by me LOL

227JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I'll be darned ~ it only took me until tonight to figure out how to fill up the 'human vacuum' ~ we were amazed that there are leftover potatoes to fry for a breakfast.  I can't remember the last time that happened with the boy here....actually, this is the FIRST time that has happened.

I went to the fresh fish store and got a pound of grouper and a pound of 16/20 shrimp.  The grouper was seasoned with s&p and dusted in flour, then pan fried in a tiny bit of oil and butter.  The shrimp were cleaned & then butterflied (I like to remove the tails so we can just eat the whole thing).  A quick dip in buttermilk/sriracha & then dusted in rice flour - then flash fried in some peanut oil.  They didn't absorb any oil and were light and tasted like SHRIMP.

He loved the grouper, kept telling us how good it was.  He liked the shrimp.  The biggest surprise was having leftover potatoes.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 IMG_20160714_173537924

Oh, Lawdy,  Dane just came to me and said, "there are NO MORE leftover potatoes" ~ after supper snack has been eaten!  Hahahahaha

228JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 11701116_10154083015104445_2380269073709002037_n

229JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:54 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Your dinner looks great Beth..I love love grouper.. JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 2599281016

230JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:56 pm

NormM

NormM

Before Charlie left this morning, he told me he was working late, then running some errands and planned to eat out so I ate alone. I had Spaghetti Carbonara with added mushrooms and asparagus.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 DSCN3636_zps08kwjsux

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

231JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, Golly Gosh, I would have appreciated if you two had dropped me a line to let me know it was PASTA DAY.....I read it was Hot Dog Day, but Jacob doesn't care for hot dogs.

But he would have like the pasta.

Both of your meals look fabulous.

232JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:29 pm

Niagara Visitor

I love, love, love grouper, but can't get it here very often.  When we had our 50th wedding anniversary in 2012 we had a small family gathering. Hubby was already not well, so we went to a restaurant and I pre-ordered the food.  Various plates of appetizers, and for the main, guests (there were 18) could pick either chicken or grouper.  Three of our family ordered chicken, the rest had grouper!  I spent a week on a catamaran in the Bahamas in March 2015 (private charter)............. John, the captain went spear fishing and supplied us with two of my favourite foods......... Lobster and grouper!  YUMM to both!

Check it out here.  https://www.vrbo.com/633172

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more information)

233JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The meals all look great!
Barb...I see you cooked some #9 huh? ( spaghetti die size #9 )
I like that cut, but it has to be al dente.

234JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:20 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Anna-Long-Ziti

These are my favorite.... Zita ( long uncut ziti )

235JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:17 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have to buy the noodles at Cost Plus/world lol. No grocer here carry them.

Bucatini 12 .

I love pasta. I wish we had Italian deli. Then again I would be in there A Lot!!!!!

236JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I love, love, love grouper, but can't get it here very often.  When we had our 50th wedding anniversary in 2012 we had a small family gathering. Hubby was already not well, so we went to a restaurant and I pre-ordered the food.  Various plates of appetizers, and for the main, guests (there were 18) could pick either chicken or grouper.  Three of our family ordered chicken, the rest had grouper!  I spent a week on a catamaran in the Bahamas in March 2015 (private charter)............. John, the captain went spear fishing and supplied us with two of my favourite foods......... Lobster and grouper!  YUMM to both!

Check it out here.  https://www.vrbo.com/633172

Your review of the vacation sounded like a 'perfect' vacation-of-a-lifetime. I cannot think of a more relaxing place to vacation than the beautiful island coves in the Caribbean. The fact that you had the opportunity to have 'fresh from the sea' grouper and lobster makes me more than a little jealous! Glad you had the opportunity to experience such luxury.

237JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Whilst we are on the subject of fish, anyone here or friends of here like Fresh Tuna?
I don't like it. I'm like Beth, Just give me my cod fish, or Haddock fillet.
I do like canned tuna, but it has to be with the olive oil. Genova brand prefered.
I hate the one in a foil pouch!

238JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight will be chicken soup for Tina and GD. Tina's stomach is acting up lately.

She even switched to tea instead of her coffee.
She just went to Walmart to take back a container she bought that was cracked, and I asked her to buy some liverwurst and seeded rye bread. I've been wishing for that for weeks now!

239JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhhh....with mustard & lots of onion???

YUM !

240JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:34 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Ohhhhh....with mustard & lots of onion???

YUM !

Ummmm....Yeah! And with Kosher garlic pickles on the side!

Nibble on scallions too! Gonna have onion breath?, might as well go all the way!

And wait till the farts erupt! JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 2876911673

241JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:39 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

liverwurst and seeded rye bread. I've been wishing for that for weeks now!

Had some last week.onion and mayo on mine..

My go to pickles are Wickles.. I love you I love you I love you

I eat no other,because these are the best ever. JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 2599281016 Hot and sweet at the same time..I eat a jar and the relish and the sandwich spread in a week.Or 2 days geek

242JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yesterday Joe and I tried out a new Steak n' Shake. We had burgers. Meh. We won't be back.
This morning I am baking a pecan pie. A couple of months ago I made pie dough and froze it. I pulled out a package and rolled it out. That is the only way to go: make the crust in quantity and freeze it till needed.
I think I will feed Joe and Katie some Trader Joe's kung pao chicken that they brought home to try. Too hot for me so I think I will make a small quantity of mac & cheese.
A couple of weeks ago I made jasmine rice for the first time. Katie likes it, Joe and I don't like it. I think it smells like a combination of popcorn and salty dog and tastes like it.

243JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jasmine is my 'go to' for rice. We like the flavor. Second is basmati, mainly because I can buy the jasmine in large bags. I use to only buy the par-cooked for ease in cooking, but I've found I can get the same ease of cooking with the jasmine & basmati so I go with those.

244JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Whilst we are on the subject of fish, anyone here or friends of here like Fresh Tuna?
I do like canned tuna, but it has to be with the olive oil. Genova brand prefered.

I adore fresh tuna, especially grilled. I like it cooked medium rare and not rare, though. When I order it in a restaurant and the waiter asks how I want it cooked, I always defer to the chef's preference and it always come out medium rare.

You can get grouper, cod or Haddock here but you have to go to a specialty grocery or fish monger and most likely ask for it ahead of when you want it. The fish that are most always available locally include speckled trout, bass, redfish, flounder, pompano (one of my favorites, especially when cooked "au papillote" -- in paper, a recipe first served at Antoine's in New Orleans but universally made now), drum, red snapper, marlin and tuna (mostly yellowfin, I think).

How was the fresh tuna prepared when you had it and didn't like it, Jimmy? Maybe it was the way it was prepared.

245JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy I like fresh tuna. I grill it.

Bugs that is my favorite rice and basmati. I buy brown but it is for the dogs lol. I don't like the taste at all.

246JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Jasmine is my 'go to' for rice.  We like the flavor.  Second is basmati, mainly because I can buy the jasmine in large bags.  I use to only buy the par-cooked for ease in cooking, but I've found I can get the same ease of cooking with the jasmine & basmati so I go with those.

We, too, use only Jasmine and Basmati rice. It's easy to cook on both the stove and in the microwave, and never comes out sticky! We always have regular long grain rice on hand but rarely use it anymore. And I always have Arborio rice on hand as we do like risotto.

247JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Whilst we are on the subject of fish, anyone here or friends of here like Fresh Tuna?

I adore fresh tuna, especially grilled.  I like it cooked medium rare and not rare, though.  When I order it in a restaurant and the waiter asks how I want it cooked, I always defer to the chef's preference and it always come out medium rare.  

You can get grouper, cod or Haddock here but you have to go to a specialty grocery or fish monger and most likely ask for it ahead of when you want it.  The fish that are most always available locally include speckled trout, bass, redfish, flounder, pompano (one of my favorites, especially when cooked "au papillote" -- in paper, a recipe first served at Antoine's in New Orleans but universally made now), drum, red snapper, marlin and tuna (mostly yellowfin, I think).  

How was the fresh tuna prepared when you had it and didn't like it, Jimmy?  Maybe it was the way it was prepared.

It was grilled, and eaten off my daughters plate at red lobster I think!
I took one piece, and chewed it twice, until I spat it out. It was like maroon inside, and I said,"Something is Missing with this Tuna!" ......They all said, "What Dad??"
I said," THE CAN and the Oil !!"......

I'm a Charlie the Tuna kind of guy! LOL
JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 2876911673

248JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy! Have you noticed they've brought back the 'Charlie Tuna' character ads? Now they're talking about how it's 'heart healthy'.

We're going out to celebrate Norm's birthday tonight.

Well, we're going out ~ LOL Jake wants seafood again and since it's his vacation (that and I'M TIRED OF COOKING). He doesn't get to have seafood very often at home. So, we're headed out for crab and lobster.

249JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy!  Have you noticed they've brought back the 'Charlie Tuna' character ads?  Now they're talking about how it's 'heart healthy'.

We're going out to celebrate Norm's birthday tonight.

Well, we're going out ~ LOL  Jake wants seafood again and since it's his vacation (that and I'M TIRED OF COOKING).  He doesn't get to have seafood very often at home.  So, we're headed out for crab and lobster.

Beth....Come on! what's the matter with you??
Don't you know they plant seafood in the mid west??
There's more to them there cricks than crawdads!! LOL

O goshes....here's a pig fish that came outa that crick... pig affraid

250JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 10 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think he got filled up. He had crab legs and had a choice of pasta alfredo instead of a potato.....

I brought half of my crab home and cleaned it so I can make a huge appetizer casserole of hot crab dip one of these days. Even with the chunks the boy ate 'when I wasn't looking', there was plenty to put in the freezer for another day. I really like the cut up crab legs when I have them to make dip, better than the other option, pasturized lump crab meat from Maryland.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum