Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 19]

201JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Bought a Chefn green lime squeezer today. It works great on my key limes. I also bought an inexpensive Black & Decker juicer when I have to squeeze mass quantities of lemons or Persian limes. It won't work for keys though. I have a Chefn yellow lemon squeezer that is fine for a couple of lemons but it hurts my hands when squeezing more. Arthritis.

202JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:32 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Nice!! I made the same thing lol

Made???..... Lucky you!

ME??..... all I could do is WISH, I had the same thing. Now that's a O K way for me to do chicken. I could do them up nice and crispy. The way I will eat it.

203JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OH! B T W ,..... this is "National Hot Dog Month!"

204JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:34 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a soup, and a salami sandwich!

205JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:18 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Guess I didn't make the same thing lol

206JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:36 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Maybe I can put them on a low grill well sealed in a foil covered pan and use the grill as an oven. I'm thinking that will work just fine.

Heck, as long as he has the noodles, that's what he's looking for! LOL

Yep, that'll work fine, Beth.  Brian regularly cooks stuff on the Weber, using it as an oven with the top on, for me in summer when I don't want to turn the oven on.  I'm sure your gas grill will work well, too.  You can put it on one side, right, where you don't even turn on that burner?  We'll make a fire on one side of the grill or a hotter fire on one side and a lower fire on another when needed.

I'm with Jake, as I'd love to have some of your homemade noodles, too!  Will he eat your chicken soup with the noodles, or are the veggies too soft in soup?  That's what I think of when I think of your noodles...

It's rare you find a kid who doesn't like desserts but they're out there. That's a shame, as I was looking forward to seeing some desserts you'd make while he was there (big grin)!

Last edited by Crybaby on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

207JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagra Visitor wrote:Pasta, of course, is not what keeps someone satiated, protein does that.

Of course, you're right, NV -- it just FEELS like you get stuffed up on carbs. I was never much of a dessert person, as I'd always go for another serving of rice and gravy or noodles and gravy or sauce. Mmm! Brian is a dessert person, though. If we eat out, he always saves room for dessert. Me? I'm more interested in trying to squeeze in an appetizer, soup (love, love, love soup) and an entrée!

208JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, your taco salad looked divine! I'd like that at any time but on a hot summer day, it's even better. Yum.

209JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had a pot roast last night -- not exactly what one would plan on a summer night but boneless chuck roast was on sale for $3.49/lb. and we were both craving beef.  Plus it can be cooked on the stovetop, too.  Brian started making it early in the day, about noon, so the house smelled good all afternoon long.

I had some big Yukon Gold potatoes that I wanted to use up so I made some roasted garlic mashed potatoes.  I cheated and "roasted" the garlic in the microwave.  Turned out great, too.  We had some Creole tomatoes we bought from the farmer's market recently I had to use, so we had a Creole tomato salad with English cucumber, nice fresh radishes and some fresh Romaine lettuce I had.  I also sliced up some purple onion to go in there, too.  All with a nice vinaigrette with a tad of Dijon mustard and some fresh basil from the garden.  

It was delicious and we're both looking forward to leftovers tonight.  I have some Poblano peppers I roasted on the stovetop and peeled so I think I'm going to make a spicy sauce with Creole tomatoes, onions, garlic and red wine and cook it down until thick and stuff those puppies with some chunky seasoned breadcrumbs I have and some fontina cheese.  I'll put a little of the tomato sauce inside, too, but will use the rest of the sauce on top of them, along with more cheese, in a casserole dish to finish them up.  As you can see, I keep bending our "summer rules" about using the oven -- it's that darn new oven calling to me, "Use me!  Use me!  You know you want to!"  I can just picture that melted fontina on top...

210JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Niagara Visitor

When that oven calls, does it not also say "I keep the heat inside me, when you cook on top of the stove, the heat goes into the room????"  I find that using the oven produces less heat in the kitchen than using the stovetop.  My self cleaning oven is very well insulated, the stovetop is not.  I use my oven lots in the summer.

211JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Me too Lore. I use my oven all the time. It has no off season. I am not about to go out side into the horrible heat and humidity and skeeter's when I can cook what I want in the cool house. I will grill very early when it is cool.

212JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't understand the foil on the grill. Why bother? Just use a grill pan indoors and avoid the skeeters.

213JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I use foil for a hundred reasons. I can't get charcoal or smoke flavor cooking inside. I just bought a great griller pan for indoor grilling doesn't have the outside griller taste at all.
Foil has it place and I will use it.

214JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided on a change of plans.....due to the fact that I don't have any foil pans large enough to hold the ribs and sauerkraut and I'm not going to use a 'good' baking pan on the grill (even covered in foil). I cleaned and seasoned the rack of baby back ribs and browned them well on both sides on high on the gas grill. They smelled good enough that I was tempted to 'taste test' one even though I knew it would be only 'almost' done and really chewy ~ so, I refrained from my base instincts and just cut them into 2 rib pieces and placed in the Reynolds lined Crockpot after all, topped with a couple cans of sauerkraut. I took the Crockpot outside and set it up on the utility table & plugged into the outdoor outlet.

The heat and smell can all stay outside the doors today. I love the smell of cooking meals but it makes me almost 'unhungry' by the time supper rolls around.

The noodles I'll make are the drop noodles, not the rolled that I would use for soup. It's just flour, salt and egg....all beaten together into a 'batter' that gets cut off the side of a salad plate into a pot of boiling salted water. We have them topped with the sauerkraut and the meat/kraut juices and everyone loves the meal.

215JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:23 pm

Niagara Visitor

Sounds good, Beth..... but, if you want to be really authentic in making spaetzle, you gotta have the dough on a small flat wooden cutting board as you cut them into the simmering water.  Spaetzle are THE big deal in the part of Germany where my family lived.  My hubby didn't like them!

216JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since I don't have a small, hand held wooden cutting board I substitute a small plate ~ same basic method. I tried to use a thicker cutting board but my hands kept getting cramps from holding it above the pot of water as I cut off the dough.

The funny thing is, I had never had these noodles with pork and sauerkraut before I met & married Mr. Amazing. His (step) grandmother, a German immigrant, made the dish as one of her 'signature' homeland meals and his entire family loved it. The first time I was invited to dinner to share the meal was when I realized it was the same drop noodle MY grandmother made and dropped into chicken soup with carrots, celery & onion - and we called it Chicken Ribble Soup (or sometimes called Chicken Rivel Soup). My grandma used the same flour/salt/egg batter and dropped rounded spoonfuls into the chicken broth.

His step mother wanted to keep the 'recipe' a secret and would give hints about how difficult the noodles were to prepare. I had no problem replicating the meal for him and it became a regular in our menu rotation. His (full) sister was never 'given' the recipe (for she wasn't a full 'blood' relative) so I figured, what the heck, I taught her how to make the noodles. And now she can make them for HER family any time she wants them.

I have a real problem with 'SECRET FAMILY RECIPES' (unless it's part of a family business that is the family livelihood). Anytime anyone has asked me about a recipe I am more than happy to share. I think it's a real compliment to be asked.

For many years DD#1's birthday cake was the Strawberry Sparkle Cake, an angel food cake filled with strawberries/gelatin and frosted in whipped cream. One of Dane's Ohio sisters fell in love with it and I gave her the recipe and any hints I had. It became HER daughter's favorite birthday cakes.....and so the 'tradition' continued for years. I think that's a real honor to have a small part in.

217JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We ate supper. There was one small serving of noodles leftover ~ 'was' is the operative word here. It's been 15 minutes and he's eating them now! LOL

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 IMG_20160713_173109932

218JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:35 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Giant meatballs I made last week and red sauce and ravioli JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 1223290054

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 11880404_10153595445449445_4498400292387105606_n

219JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 12391253_10153868699074445_8408439396871602080_n

220JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:When that oven calls, does it not also say "I keep the heat inside me, when you cook on top of the stove, the heat goes into the room????"  I find that using the oven produces less heat in the kitchen than using the stovetop.  My self cleaning oven is very well insulated, the stovetop is not.  I use my oven lots in the summer.

That may be so for you, Lore, but I can tell the oven puts out a lot more heat into the room (into the dining room, too, which is in the same big room as the kitchen, and also into the living room/den, which is the room next to my kitchen/dining room, if only by how often the central air unit downstairs cycles on. The thermostat is in the living room/den, too, but it'll kick on pretty often if you're running the oven for any length of time. Not so with even long stove-top use like a pot roast.

I must confess that this year that I've been using the oven a lot more than I normally do -- and I'm usually the one who always has said that it's too freakin' hot to use it. But it's pretty hot already here and will get a lot hotter before "fall" gets here. We don't even know what fall is! We're blessed this week, though, as we're getting a nice bit of rain every afternoon. Helps to drop the outside temp and ease up on our utility bills -- not to mention the water bill if we have to water the potted plants outside.

221JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:The noodles I'll make are the drop noodles, not the rolled that I would use for soup. It's just flour, salt and egg....all beaten together into a 'batter' that gets cut off the side of a salad plate into a pot of boiling salted water. We have them topped with the sauerkraut and the meat/kraut juices and everyone loves the meal.

Both sounds and looks delicious, Beth. Love Jake hitting the leftover noodles right away, too!

bethk wrote:I have a real problem with 'SECRET FAMILY RECIPES' (unless it's part of a family business that is the family livelihood).  Anytime anyone has asked me about a recipe I am more than happy to share.  I think it's a real compliment to be asked.

For many years DD#1's birthday cake was the Strawberry Sparkle Cake, an angel food cake filled with strawberries/gelatin and frosted in whipped cream.  One of Dane's Ohio sisters fell in love with it and I gave her the recipe and any hints I had.  It became HER daughter's favorite birthday cakes.....and so the 'tradition' continued for years.  I think that's a real honor to have a small part in.

I'd think so, too!

222JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those meatballs are softball sized! Holy Moly ~ I would probably be able to eat one and then I'd be stuffed. What was in the ravioli? 3 cheese? I've made ravioli once in my life. After that experience I figured out there was a reason there are factories to make it. Man, what a lot of work!

223JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Since I don't have a small, hand held wooden cutting board I substitute a small plate ~ same basic method.  I tried to use a thicker cutting board but my hands kept getting cramps from holding it above the pot of water as I cut off the dough.

The funny thing is, I had never had these noodles with pork and sauerkraut before I met & married Mr. Amazing.  His (step) grandmother, a German immigrant, made the dish as one of her 'signature' homeland meals and his entire family loved it.  The first time I was invited to dinner to share the meal was when I realized it was the same drop noodle MY grandmother made and dropped into chicken soup with carrots, celery & onion - and we called it Chicken Ribble Soup (or sometimes called Chicken Rivel Soup).  My grandma used the same flour/salt/egg batter and dropped rounded spoonfuls into the chicken broth.

His step mother wanted to keep the 'recipe' a secret and would give hints about how difficult the noodles were to prepare.  I had no problem replicating the meal for him and it became a regular in our menu rotation.  His (full) sister was never 'given' the recipe (for she wasn't a full 'blood' relative) so I figured, what the heck, I taught her how to make the noodles.  And now she can make them for HER family any time she wants them.

I have a real problem with 'SECRET FAMILY RECIPES' (unless it's part of a family business that is the family livelihood).  Anytime anyone has asked me about a recipe I am more than happy to share.  I think it's a real compliment to be asked.

For many years DD#1's birthday cake was the Strawberry Sparkle Cake, an angel food cake filled with strawberries/gelatin and frosted in whipped cream.  One of Dane's Ohio sisters fell in love with it and I gave her the recipe and any hints I had.  It became HER daughter's favorite birthday cakes.....and so the 'tradition' continued for years.  I think that's a real honor to have a small part in.
I feel the same about requests for a recipe.  The problem sometimes is that I was winging something, and then someone asked for the recipe..  As for the wooden cutting board, just kidding, anything that you use and it works out is great.  I haven't practiced enough for me to get to be good at making them.

224JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 12391253_10153868699074445_8408439396871602080_n

Darn....!!!!! I can't click away from this pic. I'm having a trip looking at those lovely meat balls.
Barb... what kind of sauce / tomatoes do you use?? So bright red, and perfect texture.

225JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 9 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a Pennsylvania trip today. She brought me back a sheet of square cut pizza, and a box of K K doughnuts. I had two slices and three glazed doughnuts.

OH! that's not the end. She went to Komensky's butcher shop, and brought back two pounds of
kielbasi loaf ( lunch meat ) and two rings of fresh kielbasi.
They ran short of pork steaks, but oh well,.....next time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum