Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 19]

451JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

OK. I have a pan on the stove. The first mistake was using a 2qt All Clad saucepan. Even though the mix barely filled 1/4 of the pan, It rose to the top and I had to do a quick pan change to a 3qt. I am using a Thermoworks thermometer that has a probe that is held inside the pan by a bracket. I have the alert set to 236 degrees because I am at 1000 feet above sea level. I am suspicious of 238. I think I will get cement. Prolly get cement anyway. As I said I am not good with fudge.

452JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have created a chocolate brick that will withstand a nuclear bomb.

453JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

did you add the 1 tsp. of corn syrup? I thought that was an excellent tip to avoid the whole thing turning into a giant sugar crystal......

You're a better woman than I to attempt this. I admitted my defeat and, like I said, I just go and purchase one (OK, so 3) pieces!

454JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

No I did not add the corn syrup. Yes, you are correct about CS helping to prevent sugaring. My fudge failed because of my thermometer. The fudge, at first rose really high in the pan and then it dropped as it continued to cook. What happened was the fudge level dropped below the tip of my thermometer and so I cooked it too long.

455JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

DARN! Big mess in the pan, huh? Hopefully, a good soak will soften it all up. Nice try, though.

I didn't have lunch so I was ready for an early supper. Since Dane's not home I'm taking advantage and making things I like that he doesn't. Tonight is my BLT Pasta. I have no idea what he finds objectionable about this meal ~ I think it's delicious. I did switch out the leeks for (soaked in ice water) red onions since I didn't have leeks and the same on the grape tomatoes ~ ended up chopping some seeded romas. The best thing about this pasta dish is the buttered/toasted panko crumbs that you dump over the top. Of course, I added probably DOUBLE the amount called for....love that part!

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 IMG_20160731_164126485

456JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:07 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I filled the pan with water and put it back on the stove to boil off.

457JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Niagara Visitor

Making a Reuben sandwich for myself tonight.   Love me a reuben!

458JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Was wishing for Philly cheese steaks wit onions and peppers.....but Mommy Tina wanted lasagna. It was ( How can I put this?) La NOT ZA Lasagna... Even Tina said so.

I know what it was......but I didn't let her know! Simply....no salt! No taste / bland.

Ricotta has not enough salt.... same with mozzarella. Same with the flat noodles.

That's OK......tomorrow I will make the cheese steaks.

459JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:37 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I'll give the recipe a try but I warn you I will probably fail.

Boy, Debbie, you've got more guts than me! I must've read that entire "book" 10 times yet I'm still too chicken to try to make it...

460JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:43 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I have created a chocolate brick that will withstand a nuclear bomb.

So sorry, Bug, but I think you're the cat's meow for trying. I hope you can save your pan...

461JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:51 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:did you add the 1 tsp. of corn syrup?  I thought that was an excellent tip to avoid the whole thing turning into a giant sugar crystal......

You're a better woman than I to attempt this.  I admitted my defeat and, like I said, I just go and purchase one (OK, so 3) pieces!

I'd have been too chicken to change the recipe but am glad to know that an experienced baker like yourself thought that was a good idea.

Bug was a real trooper to try to make it.

462JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:00 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Was wishing for Philly cheese steaks wit onions and peppers.....but Mommy Tina wanted lasagna.  It was ( How can I put this?) La NOT ZA Lasagna... Even Tina said so.

I know what it was......but I didn't let her know!      Simply....no salt! No taste / bland.

Ricotta has not enough salt.... same with mozzarella. Same with the flat noodles.

So she made a whole pan of lasagna and it was really terrible because it was undersalted, Jimmy? Man, that would kill me, as the cheese alone in a pan of lasagna is a lot of money. Plus, I'd have spent the time and money making marinara sauce and those cans of San Marzano tomatoes aren't cheap either! And then there's the time...

Was it at least okay to eat with salt sprinkled throughout it on your plate?

463JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:08 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Was wishing for Philly cheese steaks wit onions and peppers.....but Mommy Tina wanted lasagna.  It was ( How can I put this?) La NOT ZA Lasagna... Even Tina said so.

I know what it was......but I didn't let her know!      Simply....no salt! No taste / bland.

So she made a whole pan of lasagna and it was really terrible because it was undersalted, Jimmy?  Man, that would kill me, as the cheese alone in a pan of lasagna is a lot of money.  Plus, I'd have spent the time and money making marinara sauce and those cans of San Marzano tomatoes aren't cheap either!  And then there's the time...

Was it at least okay to eat with salt sprinkled throughout it on your plate?  

A Whole Pan??????..... santa santa  As Santa would jesture....HO.... HO....
HO..... santa santa
Two Large Pans Of Lasagna... One she made for the next door neighbor. jocolor
It is *doctorable ( *new word in cooking for fixing oh oh's ).

Adding salt made it ok, but as we all know, adding salt in the end result is not the same as cooking with the salt.
The cheese was good cheese, and was on sale yesterday.
They have two growing boys next door, so I would imagine theirs ( 18 x 9 pan ), is probably gone. LOL

GD will eat some today, and Tina will nibble on some. I will just sit back, and twiddle my thumbs, whilst I eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

464JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:51 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:A Whole Pan??????..... santa santa  As Santa would jesture....HO.... HO....HO..... santa santa
Two Large Pans Of Lasagna... One she made for the next door neighbor. jocolor
It is *doctorable ( *new word in cooking for fixing oh oh's ).

Adding salt made it ok, but as we all know, adding salt in the end result is not the same as cooking with the salt.
The cheese was good cheese, and was on sale yesterday.
They have two growing boys next door, so I would imagine theirs ( 18 x 9 pan ), is probably gone. LOL

GD will eat some today, and Tina will nibble on some. I will just sit back, and twiddle my thumbs, whilst I eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

I'd sure be eating some, and adding my salt. I agree with you about adding salt to the end result not being as good as salting while making but some people do both.  I wouldn't let that lasagna get by me without adding some salt and enjoying it, as otherwise, I'll bet it's delicious.  

Man, an 18 x 9 pan of lasagna for a lady with two growing boys?  That woman must've been in heaven for such a gift, low salt or no salt!  One could always make some more marinara and serve that on the side, too -- that would help.

And you'd better serve yourself some when she and GD have some and add salt rather than sit there eating a PB&J sandwich, Mister!!!

465JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:25 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I had some fresh spinach to use up a while back and made something I hadn't made before.  Brian doesn't like cooked spinach, but occasionally while eating lunch out at a nice restaurant when he was working, he'd tell me that he ate creamed spinach and really liked it.  And we both love spinach salad, especially with some warm bacon dressing, so I added a couple of bags of fresh spinach to the grocery list (you'd laugh, as I wrote "CHECK DATE on bag; don't buy puffy bags of spinach" next to it on the list, so Brian wouldn't come home with some that was on its way out).  

Not long after, I stopped in at another grocery we don't deal with to pick up some meat they had on sale (natch, they had none left but I got a rain check) and like I always do, I perused the produce section to see what they sold.  Got some beautiful fresh poblano peppers on the cheap and the spinach looked really good so I bought two bags.  I forgot to take it off the list and Brian picked some up, too -- luckily, he only bought one bag instead of the two I'd put on the list (that's Brian!).  

At any rate, the spinach hadn't been used so one night, I figured I'd make some "hot" spinach dish and if Brian didn't eat it, I'd "suffer through it" myself -- I love spinach, any old way.  I tried this recipe and it turned out really well -- in fact, I had to fight him for the leftovers the next night.  Thought you guys might like to see the recipe but most of you probably make something like it already while I've been sticking to spinach salad!

Creamy Spinach Bake
Serves 4.  Recipe from www.thekitchn.com / This spinach bake is a cross between creamed spinach and a spinach soufflé.

3 (10-ounce) packages frozen spinach (I used 3 10-oz bags of fresh spinach)
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter (I used salted butter and much less salt; didn't see the need to "waste" unsalted butter in this recipe)
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, minced
6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (I might've used 8 oz.)
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste (used less than 1/2 teaspoon Kosher, as the Parmesan is salty, too)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons breadcrumbs
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Thaw the spinach according to package directions. Wring out with paper towels or a clean dishcloth until very, very dry.
   While spinach is thawing, melt the butter in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 20 seconds. Add the thawed spinach, cream cheese, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and mix until well combined.
    Transfer the mixture to a medium baking or gratin dish and top with bread crumbs and Parmesan. Bake until warm and golden, 10 to 15 minutes.

Sure was easier using the fresh spinach than squeezing the water out of the frozen stuff.  I use my potato ricer to do that when I have to but it's still a pain if you have arthritis in your hands or some other problem with some fingers, like I do.

Anyway, it was really delicious and I'm going to make it more often.

466JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 19 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

update..... I started August's monthly thread!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum