Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch

+5
NormM
Imelda HL
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Barbara101

Barbara101

Well the toast and eggs look awesome lol..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OH NO!!!!!.....TOUCHY TOUCHY!!!!!

I love greens.... I love eggs ....I love toast.... But not Touching

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bethk wrote:Ahh, one of my favorites! Soft boiled eggs over braised kale. Love when I have leftover braised greens. I just put them in a container in the freezer and then I have them to reheat for my breakfast.

You know, I adore poached eggs but never think to make soft boiled, which are a lot easier to make. How long do you cook yours for, Beth, as they look perfect to me. I'd love them over the greens, too...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs.....

Bring pot of water to boil, salt ~ must continue to boil

Add refrigerated large eggs (no need to wait for them to come to room temperature)

Boil for exactly 5 minutes ~ set the timer!

Drain water, hold egg under cool running water to be able to handle....crack all over. Starting at the wide end, peel ~ easier to do with a bit of water running under the shell membrane. Careful not to squeeze and break the white because then you end up with egg yolk on your hands!

Works for me every time.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

You know what Tina makes recently? Those coddled eggs. She has those egg cups made of glazed ceramic, with chrome tops. She butters the inside of the cup, and cracks the egg in each cup....then drops it in boiling water covered for ? minutes ....and they are great, because no shells, and no peeling. She then, scoops out the egg onto toast. She even has a bigger ones that holds two eggs. She got them from her dear departed friend Mary. They are from Ireland.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/coddled-eggs.html

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh Jimmy I have some of those. From Ireland . I need to make some , gosh I forgot all about them .thanks for the reminder !!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Works with a mason jelly jar, too.

(not that I'm too cheap to buy a 'real' coddled egg cooker.....)

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Boil for exactly 5 minutes ~ set the timer!

I'm a timer girl when it comes to eggs -- I always do my poached for 3 minutes exactly so I planned to time these, too.

I'm an egg girl from way back -- absolutely LOVE them! My mom told me I loved them, then hated them, then loved 'em. She said I once cried 'cause she wouldn't let me have 4 eggs for breakfast...

Ooh, and thanks, Jimmy, for reminding me of coddled eggs, as I love those, too, but like soft boiled, I haven't made them in years.

Brian likes eggs but scrambled (not too wet though I did manage to get him off of the DRIED scrambled) and fried, over hard. No runny eggs for him and the runny ones are my faves!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had a friend (s) in the Navy.... Alice and Ron..and Alice was from Haiti.
She made what WE call, "Alices eggs".

Tina makes a double batch for us; with leftovers to eat later or the next day!
You must be a liker of onions, and have a blender.

A single Batch of batter:

4 eggs
a 1/2 medium onion
1 Tbs. AP flour.
salt to season.

Blend onions and eggs till pureed, add the flour and salt, and blend that in.
Heat a 6 inch non stick pan, a little cooking oil spread out, and pour the batter to make 6 inch crepes; as thin as possible. We fold them when done, and plate them on an serving plate.
I'm in charge of making toast, and they are so light and tasty.

If we have green onions ( scallions )....Tina will use them in place of the onion.
About six green onions .... Oh! I want them tomorrow!
The great thing, is they can be made ahead of time, and just heated when ready to eat.
I like them just room temperature....

NormM

NormM

Copied and saved as "Jimmy's Eggs"

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Copied and saved as "Jimmy's Eggs"

And... I have copied and saved "Norms Baking Grease!"

"Beth Burgers"

Barbs "Stuffed Peppers".

And others I can't think of now! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup..... me, too!

But I list the name followed by 'ala' ~ Susan's Meatballs ala Jimmy & Tina

bethk

bethk
Admin

Had a bowl of 3-minute microwave oatmeal with almonds, pecans & dried cherries and a splash of half & half.

Love that it's the regular oatmeal and not 'quick' or ((Ugh!)) instant that Mr. Amazing eats. To each his own, but please don't expect me to consider that packaged stuff.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gross if you ask me . Pretty much all instant or stuff like that is bad . I am so fussy with my food . I don't like frozen dinners or breakfasts.I used to like frozen fries and potatoes . I bought some chicken potpie for my Mom and eat one . Pretty darn good lol.
I like Irish Oatmeal .

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gosh You only like my stuffed peppers ??? I must not fix interesting food lol

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Gosh You only like my stuffed peppers ??? I must not fix interesting food lol

The peppers.... A yummy food I adore.

The rest.... mostly chicken No , and I'm sure it's good, but you know how I do not like chicken. And you cook a lot of chicken.

Barbara101

Barbara101

LOL Chicken is cheap ,Plus I do like it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Alices Eggs Today! Smile  

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 3 VzvBr0

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 3 RGIZMo

bethk

bethk
Admin

We make a baked egg dish, too. More like a frittata in a loaf pan. It was usually made as a quick, last minute supper when nothing else was prepped for supper and the kids had to eat 'something'.

Mixed eggs, vegetables, maybe some ham or cooked bacon, a tiny bit of flour, some baking soda for 'lift', s&p. It puffed up in the oven like a souffle (kind of). Haven't made it in years!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We make a baked egg dish, too.  More like a frittata in a loaf pan.  It was usually made as a quick, last minute supper when nothing else was prepped for supper and the kids had to eat 'something'.

Mixed eggs, vegetables, maybe some ham or cooked bacon, a tiny bit of flour, some baking soda for 'lift', s&p.  It puffed up in the oven like a souffle (kind of).  Haven't made it in years!

My grandmother would stretch 3 eggs, to feed 6 people.
She would add water and flour, and some baking powder.
They would puff up so light and fluffy. A loaf of bread, and everybody was full, and happy!

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:We make a baked egg dish, too.  More like a frittata in a loaf pan.  It was usually made as a quick, last minute supper when nothing else was prepped for supper and the kids had to eat 'something'.

Mixed eggs, vegetables, maybe some ham or cooked bacon, a tiny bit of flour, some baking soda for 'lift', s&p.  It puffed up in the oven like a souffle (kind of).  Haven't made it in years!

My grandmother would stretch 3 eggs, to feed 6 people.
She would add water and flour, and some baking powder.
They would puff up so light and fluffy. A loaf of bread, and everybody was full, and happy!

One of my favorites is just plain sliced potatoes, cooked on a fry pan; when just about ready (make it as soft or crunchy as you like) add a beaten egg to it..

like a frittata, but without heating up the oven...love this as a quick easy meal..

Of course, I do use ketchup with it....shush... Twisted Evil

Barbara101

Barbara101

Of course, I do use ketchup with it....shush.

I happen to like ketchup on eggs too.

Barbara101

Barbara101

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 3 Mini%20quiche5

Bacon broccoli quiches

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just a mention seeing we on an egg kick here!
My gram and Tina's gram, ate an egg for breakfast every single day like a ritual.
Hard boiled soft... like 7 minutes or back then; two flips of the egg timer.
1/2 slice of bread toasted with the egg. Tina's gram was 86, and my gram was 96 when they died.No heart / cholesterol problems.

NormM

NormM

My mom was 95. She cooked bacon every day and then cooked eggs in the bacon fat. She saved the fat and cooked just about everything in it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum