Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch

+5
NormM
Imelda HL
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Those salami pinwheels look delicious, Imelda!

102February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Goodness, Imelda, your pinwheels are always such a sight to behold! Bet Dirk loved them.

103February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:52 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yesterday about 3 p.m. I knew I was coming down with 'something'.

All of a sudden my stomach was upset, I had a headache trying to beat out of my head and I was hot ~ and then I was cold......all I wanted to do was sleep.

So, I slept sitting up in the Laz-e-boy last night and this morning I felt a tiny bit better.....but when I tried to say something to Dane, NOTHING came out!  OMG!!!  My worst nightmare.  I can't speak!

Dane just smiled.....JERK!  (I put that in all caps so he'll hear me......)

By 11:30 I was hungry...and I wanted some 'comfort food'.  I know the last thing I should be eating is dairy when I have congestion, but I wanted some cream of potato/vegetable soup.  So, that's what I made.  Darn, it was good!  I have enough for two more lunches.  That should cure me!

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 IMG_20160226_114650965

Oh Lord! ... feel better Beth! Soup looks great! Are you coughing?

There is a flue running around. Tina is sick all day. No eating, and liquids come right back out! Plus she cannot get warm.

Barbara101

Barbara101

You both need to be checked out !!! Ghezz .

NormM

NormM

There is word of a nasty new virus running around here in the Midwest.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

106February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:24 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Everyone:
The flu is going around...This stuff is nasty...get some gatorade..and mucinex, if congested....

take care...I am going to hibernate until it is gone!ccc February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 1450907917

Bugster2

Bugster2

There are two types of flu going around. A and B. You have the flu when it hits fast and you have extreme fatigue. It is like one second you are fine and the next you are sick. A cold slowly starts creeping up on you.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I plan on being fine by tomorrow.

Darn it.....I plan on being fine tomorrow!

Niagara Visitor

When my kids were little and started to be picky about eating, I used to pack a little lunch in a brown paper bag, and then they could basically eat it wherever and whenever they wanted it. (within reason, of course) When the weather was bad, they often had it under the blanket tent that was created under the dining room table! It was a great picnic for them. Peace for me.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:When my kids were little and started to be picky about eating, I used to pack a little lunch in a brown paper bag, and then they could basically eat it wherever and whenever they wanted it. (within reason, of course)  When the weather was bad, they often had it under the blanket tent that was created under the dining room table!  It was a great picnic for them. Peace for me.  

When I was very young (my mom was an RN and went back to work once I went into first grade), she too would put a sheet or blanket over the dining room table to make a tent. Honestly, Lore, it's one of my fondest memories. Sometimes she would bring us snacks to have under there and I swear, I felt like I was in heaven. I'm laughing now, as it was probably peace for her, too!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I remember sitting under the table with my brother. Mom would drop popcorn in a bowl, and we would eat it like a dog .... not touching the corn, but by only licking it up and eating like the dog. Mom got an idea, to feed my brother green beans in the bowl. He hated green beans, or as a matter of fact, anything to do with greens. She found out it didn't work, when he threw up on the floor!

Even when sitting at the table, mom would put cooked spinach in a little bowl, and say to my brother.... Eat just this little bit... I would sit there sucking on my spinach ( I loved it ), and he would sit and meditate while looking at the spinach; whilst he would start to GAG.

Dad would jump up and say, son of a gun, "Do we have to get everybody sick at the table??"

He would walk away from his dinner, and go in the bathroom. Dad had a very weak stomach!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy , I never made my kids eat anything they did not like . For the most part they ate every thing . DS did not like tomato and mushrooms . He just picked them out lol

He loved loved seafood and would eat it raw aka oysters etc . He still does . I figured if I did like something , I choose not to eat why should I force them . I also never hit or spanked . I was raised without it so I saw no need to raise my hand to my kids . All it took was that look lol

cookingirl

cookingirl

Niagara Visitor wrote:When my kids were little and started to be picky about eating, I used to pack a little lunch in a brown paper bag, and then they could basically eat it wherever and whenever they wanted it. (within reason, of course)  When the weather was bad, they often had it under the blanket tent that was created under the dining room table!  It was a great picnic for them. Peace for me.  

I loved my blankie tents...was  way for me to "hide"  lol

114February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:10 pm

NormM

NormM

I told Charlie that he had to taste everything before he decided he didn't like it and then he didn't have to eat it and I told him he could stop eating when he got full and didn't have to clean his plate.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I told Charlie that he had to taste everything before he decided he didn't like it and then he didn't have to eat it and I told him he could stop eating when he got full and didn't have to clean his plate.  

My mom was the same way, Norm.  She asked us to put a small spoonful on our plate and to please taste it.  But she never forced us to eat anything, or to clean our plate.  Go figure, as I like everything today!  There are things I'm not too crazy about but I can eat a couple bites of anything and then move it around on my plate if I'm at a dinner party so it looks like I ate some but just got full.  My sister pretty much liked everything but my brother had (and still has) a couple of dislikes.  But then again, his wife isn't a very good cook nor does she differ her menu very often either.

When my mom got disabled and lived at my brother's house during the week, she developed some of his family's "dislikes," like mushrooms, for instance.  She always ate them when I made something with them when I lived at home.  One weekend she was at our house and I was making stuffed mushrooms with a Grey Poupon mustard sauce; since Brian doesn't eat seafood, I usually make them with a spicy breadcrumb stuffing with Romano or Parmesan, though sometimes I'd include spicy sausage or homemade tasso in the stuffing.  When she saw what I was making, she said, "Eeew, I hate mushrooms.  I don't want any."  I said, "No problem," and meant it, and was probably thinking good, more for us!

I confess that I did take pains to make the appetizer plates really attractive, though.  I put some of the mustard sauce on the bottom, placed a couple of large stuffed mushrooms on top of the sauce and put a browned lemon half on each of the plates  with some ribbons of garlic chives next to them.  When we sat down at the table, she said, "Where's mine?"  Me:  "You said you hate mushrooms and didn't want any."  My mom:  "Well, I didn't know you were going to make them like that."  I saw Brian trying to suppress laughter while I got up and fixed her a plate.  That little old lady just about licked her plate!  Of course, I reminded her that she "used" to like mushrooms before she moved into what we knew as the vast good food wasteland!!!

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

NormM

NormM

Charlie today will eat just about everything too. He has few dislikes. His wife says she doesn't like a lot of things. Her sister and brother are the same way only worse but I notice she will eat things I make that she says she doesn't like. She came around on some things she said she didn't like, like Kalamata olives. She says she does not like pork but will eat ham, bratwurst, Mexican dishes with pork in them and several other pork things. The only thing she always seems to dislike is breakfast sausage and chorizo.

Crybaby

Crybaby

I remember you saying Cassie doesn't like celery. Neither does my brother's wife. She says it's "tasteless." I always want to say, "Well, if it's tasteless, why don't you like it?" I couldn't cook without it I swear -- we put onions, garlic and celery in just about everything.

In fact, I thought of you a couple hours ago when I was in the backyard with Brian and he was fertilizing the plants, flowers and herbs we have back there, which include a couple of pots of baby bok choy we're growing from seed, which I think you said you use in lieu of celery in deference to Cassie....

118February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:00 pm

NormM

NormM

Sometimes I use baby bok choy in place of celery, but lately I have been using celery and letting her pick it out if she doesn't like it.

119February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Sometimes I use baby bok choy in place of celery, but lately I have been using celery and letting her pick it out if she doesn't like it.

When Tina makes a stew, or soup like chicken soup for instance, she will through the celery in cut in half, and then take out the celery, and big halves of onion. The kids won't eat it. She saves it for me sometimes.

When I make soup like chicken soup for instance, I will throw in 3 inch pieces of celery, and then a whole onion cut in half. When done, I pull out the celery and onion, and puree it in the blender, and throw it back in with rest of the soup.
They don't even see it, and there is no fishing for the celery as they eat the soup!

And... they love the soup too! February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 940422454

120February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Niagara Visitor

Son came today to connect my new sink so I made chicken wings for a late lunch, and some oven roasted potato chunks. Yumm, I haven't made wings for myself in quite a while.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Sometimes I use baby bok choy in place of celery, but lately I have been using celery and letting her pick it out if she doesn't like it.

I'm laughing, as that would be me! Or I'd just mince it smaller so she wouldn't know it was in there...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum