Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch

+5
NormM
Imelda HL
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love your stories, Michele...and your memory is L-O-N-G. I must have mentioned back in the Cooking.com forum days about my dislike for the icky stuff when making stock! Hahahaha

There is nothing better than a 'homemade' gift. I'm getting to be known as the 'chicken soup lady' of the neighborhood. Whenever I hear of anyone down with a bad cold or flu I pull out some chicken stock and make a small pot of chicken noodle soup. Last time I used just a quart and one egg yolk to make the noodles ~ it was the perfect amount and took about 10 minutes from start to finish to make the noodles and get them in the pot to boil.

Actually, it's not that I want to be that nice to the neighbors, but rather I want them to get better and not spread their germs to others or me!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I love your stories, Michele...and your memory is L-O-N-G.  I must have mentioned back in the Cooking.com forum days about my dislike for the icky stuff when making stock!  Hahahaha

Laughed, as I do have a long memory (Brian can vouch for that!) but I think we've talked about it since, Beth.

bethk wrote:There is nothing better than a 'homemade' gift.  I'm getting to be known as the 'chicken soup lady' of the neighborhood.  Whenever I hear of anyone down with a bad cold or flu I pull out some chicken stock and make a small pot of chicken noodle soup.  Last time I used just a quart and one egg yolk to make the noodles ~ it was the perfect amount and took about 10 minutes from start to finish to make the noodles and get them in the pot to boil.

I make chicken soup but have never made noodles to go into it. Would love to impress Brian with that one day, Beth. Can you tell me how you do it?

bethk wrote:Actually, it's not that I want to be that nice to the neighbors, but rather I want them to get better and not spread their germs to others or me!

Give yourself some credit -- you really are that nice. I wouldn't be keen on so many neighbors so close by but living in that big place sure suits you, Beth. And they're lucky to have you, too, and they know it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
I make chicken soup but have never made noodles to go into it.  Would love to impress Brian with that one day, Beth.  Can you tell me how you do it?  

Easy ~ Peasy

If I'm making a pot of noodle soup (like a Dutch Oven size pan) I'll plan to use 4 egg yolks and one whole egg. I beat the eggs with some salt and (I like) fresh ground pepper. Then I stir in enough flour to make a noodle dough, combining as much as I can with a spoon. Then I dump it out on a floured mat or board and start to knead, adding flour with every turn. I try to get as much flour incorporated as I can. The idea is to get your dough thick enough to roll out and not stick to the board.

Then I break it down into probably 3 small dough balls and cover with plastic for at least 10 - 15 minutes for the flour to absorb any of the liquid and rest.

Roll each ball into a thin round, cut into 2" wide strips (adding flour so the edges don't stick), stack the strips and cut those into thirds, continuing to flour and stack. Then cut into desired width of noodle. You end up with noodles that are 2" long and as wide as you prefer. I usually sprinkle with a bit more flour after their cut into noodles and they can be cooked in boiling stock/soup immediately. You don't have to let them dry ~ actually, I think they're much easier to deal with if you don't try to dry them.

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3811
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3812
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3813
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3814
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3815
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3816
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3817

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Turkey Bacon Sleep February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 1297124391 February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 2363720550 February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 2363720550 February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 411572088

Meee Tooo .... Turkey sausage / bacon / eggs / feathers .....
Evil or Very Mad February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 411572088 .... I don't even like my "Turkey Waddle!" February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 1562938848

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
I make chicken soup but have never made noodles to go into it.  Would love to impress Brian with that one day, Beth.  Can you tell me how you do it?  

Easy ~ Peasy

If I'm making a pot of noodle soup (like a Dutch Oven size pan) I'll plan to use 4 egg yolks and one whole egg.  I beat the eggs with some salt and (I like) fresh ground pepper.  Then I stir in enough flour to make a noodle dough, combining as much as I can with a spoon.  Then I dump it out on a floured mat or board and start to knead, adding flour with every turn.  I try to get as much flour incorporated as I can.  The idea is to get your dough thick enough to roll out and not stick to the board.

Then I break it down into probably 3 small dough balls and cover with plastic for at least 10 - 15 minutes for the flour to absorb any of the liquid and rest.

Roll each ball into a thin round, cut into 2" wide strips (adding flour so the edges don't stick), stack the strips and cut those into thirds, continuing to flour and stack.  Then cut into desired width of noodle.  You end up with noodles that are 2" long and as wide as you prefer.  I usually sprinkle with a bit more flour after their cut into noodles and they can be cooked in boiling stock/soup immediately.  You don't have to let them dry ~ actually, I think they're much easier to deal with if you don't try to dry them.

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3811
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3812
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3813
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3814
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3815
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3816
February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 100_3817

Wow! Looks like a Chef Boy Ar Dee Factory, or a Dutch Noodle Kitchen.
Do you sell / ship your noodles??? February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 4056093967

bethk

bethk
Admin

Call me, Jimmy, and I'll talk you through it! LOL

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Easy ~ Peasy

If I'm making a pot of noodle soup (like a Dutch Oven size pan) I'll plan to use 4 egg yolks and one whole egg. I beat the eggs with some salt and (I like) fresh ground pepper. Then I stir in enough flour to make a noodle dough, combining as much as I can with a spoon. Then I dump it out on a floured mat or board and start to knead, adding flour with every turn. I try to get as much flour incorporated as I can. The idea is to get your dough thick enough to roll out and not stick to the board...

Boy! Talk about quick service -- and with photos, too! All copied already in my recipe area with your super photos. Thanks ever so much, Beth. You're a doll to do that for me!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Not a problem, Michele....when I was typing out the instructions I remembered I had pics in my Photobucket. The hardest part is FINDING the right pics in 2,000 photos!

My grandma use to make noodles, roll the rounds and then she'd roll up the rounds like pinwheels and slice off LONG noodles. The noodles got draped over dowels and the backs of chairs in the kitchen to dry. But I don't like long noodles ~ my girls always 'slurped' them if they were long and that sound drives me nuts. Grandma also always dried her noodles. I think they cook so much better when they're fresh. Difference of taste I guess.

But they really are easy. The thinner you roll them out the quicker they cook, maybe 8 - 10 minutes and they're done. My biggest problem is I LOVE the 'almost cooked' noodles and will taste test about 20 of them just standing at the stove! I'm always asking myself, "why can't you lose any weight?" LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, and be sure your soup keeps boiling as they cook and you stir so they don't stick together.....not that I've EVER had a gigantic blob of noodle stuck to the bottom of MY soup pot.....

Hahahahaha! Even my dog wouldn't eat it! LOL

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:We smoke turkeys quite often -- they're not only delicious but friends beg us to be invited or to share.  We used to make as many as 8 (what a pain -- we took turns getting up in the middle of the night for several nights to remove a turkey from the smoker!) to give as Christmas presents to friends and neighbors.  

One lady who lived several blocks away and passed our house all the time saw us loading them up all in the trunk for delivery right before Christmas (they looked so good and so pretty, too).  She said it was her dream to get on our Christmas list.  Well, she made the list the following year and stayed on it until she moved away with her elderly husband after Katrina.  When we delivered her smoked turkey the first year, she wasn't home but her husband said, "Weezie (her given name was Louise) said she thought you might be coming by this year."  We had to laugh, as she knew we were quite smitten with her.  I'd "gift wrap" them in brown-in-bags taped up on the bottom so they looked neater with a wired ribbon bow and a card on them.  I'd keep an eye out all year for pretty ribbon to use and they looked gorgeous.  Plus, after you ate some turkey, you could slide them right back in that bag before refrigerating.  We still put ours in one after smoking to this day.

When I worked as a legal secretary/paralegal, I hated to spend a ton of money on presents for my bosses.  So we'd smoke them a turkey as well (we did 12 to 14-lb. turkeys for gifts).  One year one of my bosses said he froze it and his family, including his in-laws, defrosted it and reheated it about a month later.  He said his FIL, Mr. Formigue, wanted to know EXACTLY how we'd made it, as it was the best smoked turkey he'd ever had.  

One of my favorite bosses, a female attorney named Daphne, went home with half a bag on right before Christmas.  She said that "damn smoked turkey" was her "saving grace," as she walked in with it and once her husband, also an attorney, got a look at her drunken self, she said, "But Stephen, look what I brought for dinner -- a delicious smoked turkey!"  I swear, we got the nicest phone calls and cards for weeks after Christmas.  Daphne and Jack, my other boss with her, would give me a large gift certificate to Williams-Sonoma each year so their eyes lit up the first year I told them their present would be homemade.  I heard Jack on the phone telling his wife the day I brought the turkeys, "Betsy, don't bother cooking or buying anything for that party we have to go to.  Michelle brought me a smoked turkey and we can take that!"  He told me later it was the hit of the party and he'd have claimed he made it if he thought a single soul would've believed him.  I saved up their gift certs. for a couple of years and spent $800 at Williams-Sonoma!  It was a blast and a half as I felt like I was getting everything for free.  About $125 was my money, which Brian didn't understand but I told him, "Just think of it as my getting $800 of stuff for $125 and he shut up!  

There was a joke between Brian and me about our original list of eight Christmas turkey recipients, which included a disabled neighbor who lived with several of his merchant seamen friends across the street from us when we lived in Uptown N.O., was that you had to die to get off our Christmas list.  Sadly, it was true.  Every single recipient except Ms. Weezie is deceased now.  One man who we knew from a "neighborhood" bar/restaurant got on the list when his wife passed away right before Christmas.  He cried when we showed up with a turkey for him.  When he wasn't able to be at the bar the weekend before Christmas after he realized we'd bring him one EVERY year, he made sure one of his grown kids was there (the bartender would introduce them to us) to get his turkey!

Brian was in the shipping (steamship) business for years and every year his office of about 8 to 10 had a potluck for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  They each got a free turkey from vendors they dealt with and usually one extra in case someone was forgotten.  Each year they asked him to smoke them a turkey.  We got to leave our turkey in the company freezer, too, until we were ready to use it, which was great, as we smoked the "extra" one for his office.  Plus Brian always took the turkey carcass home for gumbo, too.  This continued for a couple years after he retired until he finally told them he couldn't do it anymore, mainly 'cause of my being ill.  

All I can say is unless you just don't like smoked flavor, you just haven't had a smoked turkey that was cooked properly -- moist with smoky flavor but not over-smoked.  And it makes the best gumbo (we make smoked turkey, andouille and oyster gumbo) you ever tasted.  Talk about depth of flavor!  First I strip the meat off the carcass and make smoked turkey stock prior to starting the gumbo.  Making the stock first makes a superior gumbo IMO though my mom's was good and she threw the whole thing in rather than doing it that way.  But like Beth, I don't like the little "pieces" of stuff that accumulate in the bottom of the pot unless I make the stock from the carcass first and have no bones in my gumbo.  She knows what I mean...

I'm laughing, as I am picturing Jimmy getting a cup of coffee prior to reading my extra-long message.  Thanks for listening...

Nice story Michelle, I read every words of them, somehow I got tears on my eyes when I got to the bartender part... and a big smile when I read about the $800 shopping spree in W&S.. thank you for sharing

Barbara101

Barbara101

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 12654706_10201171870616798_9067363102015156429_n

I am going to hell biscuits..With almond butter.. tongue silent bounce cheers

Well I had to use up the buttermilk..waste not..

bethk

bethk
Admin

You told me once you could freeze buttermilk.....

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

They did come out light and fluffy. Bet your neighbor would have liked them....

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh that was frozen BM lol..  she did or should say she will enjoy them. Her BF sure does lol..I did eat one and kept the almond butter.ha..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ahhhh, just a 'photo op', huh?

Good for you.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:Nice story Michelle, I read every words of them, somehow I got tears on my eyes when I got to the bartender part... and a big smile when I read about the $800 shopping spree in W&S.. thank you for sharing

Thanks, Imelda. It was tons of work (until we got a second smoker and borrowed another one so we could do more than two at a time), but those turkeys also brought us tons of joy when we delivered them. It really put us in the Christmas spirit every year. And there wasn't a single year that someone didn't make me cry -- they were that sweet about getting them and thanking us...

bethk

bethk
Admin

What kind of smokers did you use, Michele?

Barbara101

Barbara101

Yes details..

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:What kind of smokers did you use, Michelle?

We have two large (22") Weber water smokers (they're called Smokey Mountain Charcoal Smokers) . They last forever and it's easy to get replacement parts from Weber when you need them. We use regular charcoal and not the lump stuff.

We also had a New Braunfels smoker that my mom gave Brian as a Christmas gift one year but we didn't care for it. Kept it a couple of years and gave it away. It had design flaws, in our opinion.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was in the garage yesterday; looking for a pan, and up against the wall, buried under cases of paper goods, was a brand new one of those turkey fryers, in the box.
I think the kids bought it for me on a fathers day like 12 years ago.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Hoarders coming to get you on tv lol

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Hoarders coming to get you on tv lol

Barb, you could never imagine how many brand new things we have that we never used....LOL

2 DVD players in the box. A sound bar system Sony in the box.
A lawn screened gazeebo tent .. A pizzelle maker.

Two sewing machines.... Stoneware baking pans from pampered chef.....
Copper bowls and fry pans....never used!

and.... Tina just bought a doughnut baker, and a deep fryer / steamer / boiler.

Juice man used 6 times.... ronco popiel macaroni spaghetti machine used twice.

Brand new mountain bikes. One used once, and one never used!

Nothing of mine. Only thing I have are my tools and test gear etc. lol!

bethk

bethk
Admin

So, what yer sayin' is all we have to do is show up with an empty trunk and back up to the garage door?

LOL

Barbara101

Barbara101

I would say road trip !

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:So, what yer sayin' is all we have to do is show up with an empty trunk and back up to the garage door?

LOL

Yup! February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 2876911673

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ahh, one of my favorites! Soft boiled eggs over braised kale. Love when I have leftover braised greens. I just put them in a container in the freezer and then I have them to reheat for my breakfast.

February 2016 Breakfast / Lunch / Brunch - Page 2 4bc139f0-57a1-4652-aa5d-a89d48832e39

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum