Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner??

+5
Imelda HL
Barbara101
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 16]

276JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Salsiccia4

Jimmy, why no cooking at your house?

277JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Salsiccia4

Jimmy, why no cooking at your house?
Tina not home and helping her aunt and uncle with dr's and setting up nursing and aides. SOoooooo! I get stuck being a baby sitter for the uncle Gabe whom we hav living with us the past year....

This place is like a G D Geriatric Center. Time of day is messed up, and I just have too much stuff going on in between so I have no time to cook.
Whatever we like, the uncle wont eat. He is a fussy and self centered, and lazy man.
I pitty his poor wife when she was alive. She catered to him, hand and foot!
He was her baby!

Sometimes we will cook. Mostly week ends. When Tina is home.

278JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried my stovetop smoker on a burger today. Since I have no idea what I am doing, I only smoked the meat for 10 minutes and then finished it up on the grill. The burger meat definitely had a hickory smoke taste but I think maybe they are better not smoked, just grilled over a fire. I am going to try some ribs next. Fortunately my house did not fill up with smoke. I have this really strong exhaust fan over the burners. Next time I am going to take the smoker outside and use it on a hotplate.
Anyone besides Norm have experience smoking? I would appreciate knowing some tricks of the trade.

279JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:40 pm

NormM

NormM

bethk wrote:I did a "Barb Special".....clean out the refrigerator frittata.  Ham, asparagus, corn, roasted tomatoes & onion.

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 06.25.15%20a

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 06.25.15%20b

That sure looks good Beth. That sausage looks good too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

280JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Anyone besides Norm have experience smoking? I would appreciate knowing some tricks of the trade.

I have a cheapie electric.Outside use. I sure have got my $70. worth.It is set it and forget it. No fuss.

281JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:47 pm

NormM

NormM

I don't know anything about your smoker Bugster. I first started using an electric smoker like Barbara uses and it worked fine. I think baby back ribs would be best because they cook quicker than other kinds.

282JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Smoker-2

I put hickory and other chunks in the bottom. Not chips.Plug in and go back in the house and in 2 to 4 hrs I go back out ..Smoked and I did nothing lol

283JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:45 pm

NormM

NormM

I just bought a new propane grill at Lowe's. They will assemble it and deliver it on Monday. Its a Broil King Baron model.

284JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I just bought a new propane grill at Lowe's.  They will assemble it and deliver it on Monday.  Its a Broil King Baron model.
WOW!.... great Norm. I can't wait to see it! .... Better yet, see it with nice KC steaks sizzling on the grill grate. Very Happy

285JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:Anyone besides Norm have experience smoking? I would appreciate knowing some tricks of the trade.

I have a cheapie electric.Outside use. I sure have got my $70. worth.It is set it and forget it. No fuss.

What brand is it?

286JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

If you are asking me,it has the sticker right in front and that was before I used it.I removed it.... Brinkman.I got it at Ace Hardware but I have seen them at HomeD and walmart.

287JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:41 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Barb. I had one of those but did not get good results with it. There is good smoke and bad smoke. I could only get bad smoke no matter what I did. My meat tasted like bad smoke. I tried different chips and flavors but no good. I finally gave it away. You must have the magic touch.

I have a question about smoking: do you keep replenishing the wood chips for as long as you are cooking the meat or do you only add chips once at the beginning?

288JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Barb. I had one of those but did not get good results with it. There is good smoke and bad smoke. I could only get bad smoke no matter what I did. My meat tasted like bad smoke. I tried different chips and flavors but no good. I finally gave it away. You must have the magic touch.

We've never had an electric smoker but we started with a charcoal one about the size of Barbara's.  I don't know what you mean about good smoke and bad smoke though.  Maybe it's the different kinds of smoking wood you didn't care for.  Perhaps sticking to hickory would be good first, Bug, to see if you just don't like smoked flavor. For smoking, I'd use wood chunks and not wood chips. The meat has to be on there for a while to cook so using only chips to me wouldn't cut it.

Bugster2 wrote:I have a question about smoking: do you keep replenishing the wood chips for as long as you are cooking the meat or do you only add chips once at the beginning?

I don't know the size of your stovetop smoker but I would think it would be kind of small to use the chunks I recommend.  All I can suggest is to use chunks if you can... If you can only use chips, I guess you could add them a second time but if you don't like smoked flavor, maybe you'd better start with just using them at the beginning.

289JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This place is like a G D Geriatric Center. Time of day is messed up, and I just have too much stuff going on in between so I have no time to cook.

Whatever we like, the uncle wont eat. He is a fussy and self centered, and lazy man.  I pitty his poor wife when she was alive. She catered to him, hand and foot!
He was her baby!

Taking care of an elderly person is probably the hardest thing a person can ever do -- even if they're pleasant and have all their faculties.  No one likes the rolls to change, both the caretaker(s) and the person being taken care of.  When they're suffering from some type of dementia or are selfish, fussy and just insist "I won't eat that," it's more than hard -- it's extremely frustrating and sometimes infuriating.  

My heart goes out to both you and Tina, Jimmy.  His wife was indeed a saint but she also created a monster!!!!  Rolling Eyes

290JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:45 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Barb. I had one of those but did not get good results with it. There is good smoke and bad smoke. I could only get bad smoke no matter what I did. My meat tasted like bad smoke. I tried different chips and flavors but no good. I finally gave it away. You must have the magic touch.

We've never had an electric smoker but we started with a charcoal one about the size of Barbara's.  I don't know what you mean about good smoke and bad smoke though.  Maybe it's the different kinds of smoking wood you didn't care for.  Perhaps sticking to hickory would be good first, Bug, to see if you just don't like smoked flavor.  For smoking, I'd use wood chunks and not wood chips.  The meat has to be on there for a while to cook so using only chips to me wouldn't cut it.  

Bugster2 wrote:I have a question about smoking: do you keep replenishing the wood chips for as long as you are cooking the meat or do you only add chips once at the beginning?

I don't know the size of your stovetop smoker but I would think it would be kind of small to use the chunks I recommend.  All I can suggest is to use chunks if you can...  If you can only use chips, I guess you could add them a second time but if you don't like smoked flavor, maybe you'd better start with just using them at the beginning.

The stovetop smoker uses wood that looks like sawdust. There is such a thing as good smoke and bad smoke. Bad smoke is when it just pours out of a smoker. Good smoke is a wisp that comes out. The bad makes your food taste like $hit. Way too smoky and harsh.

291JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:06 pm

NormM

NormM

The electric smoker I had some 30+ years ago was also a Brinkman.  As for good and bad smoke, there is smoke from soft wood which is always going to make your food taste bad.  Soft wood is bad. It is any tree that does not lose its leaves: evergreens and pines.  Hardwood is any wood that loses it leaves once a year.  It can be good smoking wood, especially fruit and nut woods like apple, hickory, oak (acorns are nuts) and pecan.  When you use wet wood, you get white smoke.  That is actually the water turning to steam.  Steam can be good for the cooking meat but it does not impart any flavor.  Wood that is burning with a flame can give off grey smoke.  That smoke isn't good for smoking.  Wood that is smoldering and giving off blue smoke or no smoke that you can see but can smell is good smoke.  If you put the wood in an electric smoker where the heat coils can make it smolder and not ignite, you will get your best results.

You can also get too much smoke if you keep smoke on it for more than two or three hours.  If you have the right kind of smoker with good air flow, you can burn logs cleanly and have an active fire and get good smoke too but pellets, sawdust and chips don't work that way very well.

292JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thank you Norm! I never had any luck with my Brinkman because the chunks would not ignite unless you put them directly on the coil. then it would flame. Then if I moved the chunks they would go out.
This little stovetop smoker is pretty nifty. It will give your meats a smoked flavor, but how much, I don't know. The quality of smoke was very good too. Got to try some ribs, tri tip, pork and chicken on it. I don't expect to get the same results as a genuine smoker, but It might just do.

293JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wood that is smoldering and giving off blue smoke or no smoke that you can see but can smell is good smoke.  If you put the wood in an electric smoker where the heat coils can make it smolder and not ignite, you will get your best results. JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 3602300868

because the chunks would not ignite unless you put them directly on the coil. then it would flame.  ....You are not to put them on the coil and they should not ignite..

I am far from a expert but I get light blue smoke and get very good results. This unit is perfect for me . I am lame=o when I mess with charcoal and have to mess with it. I can grill ,,just basic stuff.
2 to 4 hrs is all it takes.i have all kinds of chunks but I like the hickory the best.

Last edited by Barbara101 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

294JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:11 pm

Niagara Visitor

We had an outdoor smoke chamber, brick with a chimney on the farm. Dieter used grape trunks or natural hardwood to get the fire going, then when there were glowing embers, he used hardwood sawdust on top. It was generally a day long affair doing rainbow trout and sausages. Yummy!

295JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

plus for me ,,if I move to a apt or condo I can use this one.  Grills are not allowed ..

296JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This place is like a G D Geriatric Center. Time of day is messed up, and I just have too much stuff going on in between so I have no time to cook.

Whatever we like, the uncle wont eat. He is a fussy and self centered, and lazy man.  I pitty his poor wife when she was alive. She catered to him, hand and foot!
He was her baby!

Taking care of an elderly person is probably the hardest thing a person can ever do -- even if they're pleasant and have all their faculties.  No one likes the rolls to change, both the caretaker(s) and the person being taken care of.  When they're suffering from some type of dementia or are selfish, fussy and just insist "I won't eat that," it's more than hard -- it's extremely frustrating and sometimes infuriating.  

My heart goes out to both you and Tina, Jimmy.  His wife was indeed a saint but she also created a monster!!!!  Rolling Eyes

His wife was indeed a saint but she also created a monster!!!

Thank you Michelle! You hit the nail right on the head! .... He IS of sound mind, and as we now know and from his past. We say the same thing; that his wife created the way he is. What kind of wife, cuts the ft off his meat, and cuts it in small pieces so he can just eat without a knife?
A wife, who made delicious Polish ethnic foods, and such as pierogi, she was instructed to cut the edges off his, because he doesn't eat dough! L A Z Y !
A wife, that had to empty his pee bottle that she had to get him so he wouldn't have to walk far to the bathroom. All above True!

297JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:Wood that is smoldering and giving off blue smoke or no smoke that you can see but can smell is good smoke.  If you put the wood in an electric smoker where the heat coils can make it smolder and not ignite, you will get your best results. JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 3602300868

because the chunks would not ignite unless you put them directly on the coil. then it would flame.  ....You are not to put them on the coil and they should not ignite..

I am far from a expert but I get light blue smoke and get very good results. This unit is perfect for me . I am lame=o when I mess with charcoal and have to mess with it. I can grill ,,just basic stuff.
2 to 4 hrs is all it takes.i have all kinds of chunks but I like the hickory the best.

They never would start to smoke unless I did that and then I would move the chunks off but they would not smolder.

298JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I have NO CLUE what to eat or make for supper.
I was in the recliner all day, and trying to relieve a pull of my left sciatic nerve. Grrrrrrrr

Tina suggested Wendy's....

299JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 009%20101

I did not want to cook,so I made a orzo salad.

300JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 12 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That salad looks really good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum