Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner??

+5
Barbara101
cookingirl
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 15]

Barbara101

Barbara101

Making pot roast 'used' to be a great big cheap meal to make..At $4 & up a lb for chuck or the like, it is not that way anymore..

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just spent an hour cleanin' a package of frozen shrimp (from our shrimpin' on the river day). Man those things are small. But, hey, they're free and they taste great ~ so, if it takes me an hour to peel and devein, well, that's just the way it is. I have to complain to someone and Mr. Amazing doesn't hear me for some reason.....wonder why that is ???

LOL

Barbara101

Barbara101

I hate those pickin things. I just picked the turkey carcass. September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 1562938848 i boiled it yesterday.odd thing is the broth is thin thin.No flavor.Last time I did a leftover roast chicken the broth was thick & had loads of flavor..I spooned it in small containers & froze it.This is like light yellow water.

bethk

bethk
Admin

maybe you got a 'diet' turkey by mistake ~

Happens to me all the time. I go to buy something, say, Dane's French Vanilla Coffee Creamer (OK, OK....but he LIKES it!) and when I get it in my cart I take another look and it's 'fat free'. NOT what he wants. He want the original, full fat, full sugar, full of all that other icky stuff, but full of it all.
lol

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:maybe you got a 'diet' turkey by mistake ~

Happens to me all the time.  I go to buy something, say, Dane's French Vanilla Coffee Creamer (OK, OK....but he LIKES it!) and when I get it in my cart I take another look and it's 'fat free'.  NOT what he wants.  He want the original, full fat, full sugar, full of all that other icky stuff, but full of it all.
lol

ORIGINAL...... It's Got to be the original!
Tina learned that when she got me the (at a CVS sale) a twin pack of Irish Spring Body Wash soap...and it said "With Alo-Vera" .....
OMG...I bitched until after the third shower, I gave it away. It was so hard to rinse off. I felt like a slippery snail when I got out of the shower. I had to re-shower with Ivory bar soap to get it off. I thank god we have hard water too.

I NEVER use that stuff the girls use after they wash with shampoo, I thing it's called conditioning agent. OMG...It was so like jello in my hair. Tina said to use it so my scalp would not be so dry! No like!

Oh No! None of that Xtra dry, or extra soft stuff. I'm a wash the head with Halo or Prell (original) shampoo!

None of that Fat Free or Diet stuff for me either. I drink Whole Milk too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Actually, Jimmy, whole milk is better for your sugar numbers than low or no-fat milk....ask Barb. She can tell you.

I used my cleaned shrimps with a bok choy, carrot & onion stir fry. Made a sauce with some oyster sauce, chili paste, sweet chili sauce, soy, sesame oil and chicken stock.....thickened with just a bit of a cornstarch slurry at the very end.

We cleaned the entire dish. Got a bit of sticky rice left over, but that's OK ~ good with eggs for breakfast or a brunch. Whatever.

The shrimps were super sweet and tender. I guess I'm glad now I spent the hour cleaning them (to my standards.....I'm picky). Since these are river shrimp (and somewhat bottom feeders) I make sure all vein material is removed ~ top and bottom. Takes much more time but I don't have to worry about having shrimp ick on my plate.

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 091114a

I did a TERRIBLE job of plating....just spooned everything on my plate and then sat down to eat. Glad I'm happy to let Barbara and Imelda and Norm and Jimmy take the prize for beautifully plated meals.

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 091114b

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is like low fat or fat free mayo. Give me the real stuff or nothing at all. Bacon is another one. No turkey bacon for me. I only want the real deal. I can tolerate low sodium things. Those don't bother me. I can always add salt. Sugar free chocolate? BLECH! Absolutely inedible.

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol what you do is play with your food ..Then it gets cold.Oh & I have to take it outside. Or in the sunshine of the window.My indoor light sucks..

Your dinner looks great..

Barbara101

Barbara101

Sugar free chocolate?

OMG.. you need a good cleaning.Eat it lol. Back door trots asap...

bethk

bethk
Admin

The bok choy I got at Fresh Market was really fresh ~ not a bad leaf or stem in the 3 I picked up. And they were sweet and tender when just cooked enough to heat through, softened just a bit. I cut the leaves off the stems & cut the stems in half to stir fry with the carrots & onions and then, at the last minute, after I had made the thickened sauce, added the leaves to just wilt.

It's definitely a dish I'll make again.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:Sugar free chocolate?

OMG.. you need a  good cleaning.Eat it lol. Back door trots asap...

A friend of mine bought a box of sugar-free Jelly Belly's and ate the whole box in one sitting (they aren't that big). She was on the toilet for 3 days. LOL. In very small print on the back of the box, they tell you not to eat more than few at a time because it may cause an upset stomach. They should have used another word. Who the heck reads the back of the box of candy?

Barbara101

Barbara101

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 428621_240310759395779_1795260305_n

to much work enchiladas.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:lol what you do is play with your food ..Then it gets cold.Oh & I have to take it outside. Or in the sunshine of the window.My indoor light sucks..

Your dinner looks great..

I alway's pre-heat the dishes when I serve up.

Like with waffles....the warm dish keeps them warm longer.

I just remembered. When the kids were babies, Tina bought (and we still have it in the attic ) a baby dish that you plugged in to the 120V outlet, and it kept the baby food warm.
They don't have them anymore.

There is a dish, that you microwave, and it keeps food warm for 30 minutes. I saw one on a novelty site a few years ago. Carol Wrights gifts I think....or Dr. Leonards! hahahahah I love those catalogues.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 428621_240310759395779_1795260305_n

to much work  enchiladas.
NICE!

Bugster2

Bugster2

What brand of enchilada sauce do you use?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Actually, Jimmy, whole milk is better for your sugar numbers than low or no-fat milk....ask Barb.  She can tell you.

I used my cleaned shrimps with a bok choy, carrot & onion stir fry.  Made a sauce with some oyster sauce, chili paste, sweet chili sauce, soy, sesame oil and chicken stock.....thickened with just a bit of a cornstarch slurry at the very end.

We cleaned the entire dish.  Got a bit of sticky rice left over, but that's OK ~ good with eggs for breakfast or a brunch.  Whatever.

The shrimps were super sweet and tender.  I guess I'm glad now I spent the hour cleaning them (to my standards.....I'm picky).  Since these are river shrimp (and somewhat bottom feeders) I make sure all vein material is removed ~ top and bottom.  Takes much more time but I don't have to worry about having shrimp ick on my plate.

I did a TERRIBLE job of plating....just spooned everything on my plate and then sat down to eat.  Glad I'm happy to let Barbara and Imelda and Norm and Jimmy take the prize for beautifully plated meals.

Good to know about the whole milk. Thanks!
Looks really good Beth!.... The little ones are the tastiest. A lot of work cleaning, and Tina will stop eating shrimp if she sees just a speck of vein dirt. Me...It don't bother me.
I would eat _ _ _ t anyway! pig

They make a tool that de-veins shrimp if I'm not mistaken?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:
to much work  enchiladas.

Agreed. Soft tacos easier....just add the enchilada sauce if so desired. Oh, and you can leave the cheese off if you so desire, as well. LOL

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:That is like low fat or fat free mayo. Give me the real stuff or nothing at all. Bacon is another one. No turkey bacon for me. I only want the real deal. I can tolerate low sodium things. Those don't bother me. I can always add salt. Sugar free chocolate? BLECH! Absolutely inedible.

Tina bought Turkey bacon, and fried it, and gave it to me. Didn't tell me of coarse.

I'm eating it...and right away I said,"Where's the fat?" Tina said, this is fat free!
Bite #2...I said...this smells like a smoged tongue of a shoe!
then she said,"That's Turkey Bacon...good huh!?!? .... Can't tell the difference! Right??

I was like, No. I smell Feathers!...and No More for me!

DD does like mayo made with olive oil. I don't like it! #1...it's too yellow looking.

We do have a bottle of Light Mayo in the fridge, and it seems it is never used.
Gee, where are all the healthy people?? N O T

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:What brand of enchilada sauce do you use?

Bugs, I make it..and it is on there lol.Hidden under the cheese..

1/4 cup vegetable oil
   1/4 cup all-purpose flour
   1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
   2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
   1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
   1 teaspoon cumin
   1 teaspoon garlic powder
   1 teaspoon onion powder
   1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
   Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions

Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour until well combined, about 1 minute.
   Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
   Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Last edited by Barbara101 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barbara101

Barbara101

Light Mayo in the fridge,

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 411572088

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:What brand of enchilada sauce do you use?

Bugs, I make it..

1/4 cup vegetable oil
   1/4 cup all-purpose flour
   1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
   2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
   1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
   1 teaspoon cumin
   1 teaspoon garlic powder
   1 teaspoon onion powder
   1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
   Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Thank you! I have never had a canned variety that was even remotely edible. I will make my own now!

Instructions

Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk in flour until well combined, about 1 minute.
   Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
   Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Canned is gross.Last time I even got some with a popular Mexican name.Bad...

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

look good and delicious dinner meal, Beth and Barbara
we like to cook our bokchoy that way too Beth

pasta days for us.. I cooked 1 box of spaghetti noodles, divided into 2 portion, yesterday I cooked some Kielbasa sausage and some veggies ( spinach and green beans, bellpepper, jalapeno), than added the noodle in.. Dirk loves it, he ate it twice, today I cooked some tuna ( from cans), some shallot and chili pepper, same veggies, added noodles and some cheese sauce, he also ate 2 servings
Razz

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 30-9

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 5 25-3

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

They make a tool that de-veins shrimp if I'm not mistaken?

Yes, I have the shrimp cleaning tool, but the river shrimp are too small to use it without tearing them to shreds. I just used a sharp paring knife.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a late lunch out after going to see "The Hundred Foot Journey" this morning so I wasn't all that hungry ~ that, and, a distinct lack of interest in cooking tonight.

So we had carry out.

I had tacos and 'he' had KFC....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum