Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner??

+5
Barbara101
cookingirl
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 15]

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made frozen large stuffed shells from Sams Club.
My sauce and meatballs from the other day.

She baked a Paula Deen Butter Pound cake.

All was good..... and we all ate the same thing today.

Jimmy - I've got a 16 oz. container of my manicotti filling and marinara in the freezer. You just gave me the idea to use it to stuff some shells. It should be just enough for a good sized casserole dish.

Thanks for lettin' me steal the idea!

Barbara101

Barbara101

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 0ee51d4f2f3283105a78163358f1fa3b-1

my favorite.. I can not find it any grocery here so I have to order it.I also like Colman mustards.  Plain ole yellow mustard .. I happen to just love Honey Mustard.   Do not like grainy or brown mustard.

Also Maille mustards.Seems I like French mustards lol

bethk

bethk
Admin

Heck, I'd buy 'em just for the packaging !!

Too cool.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina drains the liquid from the Kraut, and then just fries 2/3's of it with onion slices.
Then when it is caramelized, she adds the remaining 1/3 . It has the good taste of sauerkraut, but
not bitter.
I like the canned ,, and Tina likes the bagged.

As far as salt.... I could watch my salt intake all day. Then at night with a snack, I will eat One (1) pickle, and it has 3 x the amount of sodium for that day.

Sometimes the body / heart, needs sodium. Too bad they don't have a device like a watch, that you wear on the wrist, and it monitors the salt content in the body.
Wouldn't that be neat?

I could see it now...." Get Yer Sodium watch, and get two bags of pretzels free!"

I know they have insulin monitors that measure blood sugar, and pump the insulin as needed.
A woman that Tina worked with had one of those on her waist. Sometimes, she would shut it off, and Tina would see her standing and staring in to space. Tina would run and get a candy for her.
The womans sugar would fluctuate within one hour to the next. That's why she wore the insulin pump.

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:Heck, I'd buy 'em just for the packaging !!

Too cool.

they are big too. I keep them.I used to buy cheese in those great crocks.Had that wire on top. Have not seen them in a long time. No No

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina made frozen large stuffed shells from Sams Club.
My sauce and meatballs from the other day.

She baked a Paula Deen Butter Pound cake.

All was good..... and we all ate the same thing today.

Jimmy - I've got a 16 oz. container of my manicotti filling and marinara in the freezer.  You just gave me the idea to use it to stuff some shells.  It should be just enough for a good sized casserole dish.

Thanks for lettin' me steal the idea!

You didn't steal the idea Beth.
The idea has been there all the time....and all you had to do is,"Click your spatula's together ten times, and say," I wish I had stuffed shells with my filling!"

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 2876911673 September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 2876911673

NormM

NormM

I had an empty mustard jar on my sink for years with one of those sponges with the soap in the handle in it.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

I just put ricotta on my shopping list. I want to make another Italian Ricotta cake.

Niagara Visitor

I only ever made cucumber/onion salad with S&P, a bit of oil. No vinegar, sugar or sour cream. None of that rinsing of the sauerkraut for me either. I know my one aunt rinses it so much you can't tell what it is.

I was at a local market today, had a chuckle. They had a sign "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom!"

Company coming tomorrow, Niece is vegetarian, hubby's a chef. What to make, what to make for dinner???

So, I am making a potato salad that I know Janet loves, some fish in the oven, and some oven roasted root veggies also. Also a big salad with heirloom tomatoes, an avocado, and the green is my favourite, mache rosettes. simple vinaigrette for dressing. Probably throw some feta into the salad, niece's father is Greek, her hubby's family is Portugese. That's dinner.

They will come about 1p.m. I have some unusual local cheeses (Upper Canada Cheese Company) with baguette and some dipping sauce for when they arrive.

I thought about going out at first, but they are coming because they want to spend time here on the farm before I move out.

Barbara101

Barbara101

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 8f3d83920890f7eff104e9b237f4022f

Niagara Visitor

Carrots, pulled pork, cauliflower or mashed spuds is my guess.

bethk

bethk
Admin

All the talk about sauerkraut had me still hungry for it.....so supper was grilled brats with a side of sauerkraut (I ate about 1/3 of it straight out of the pan on the stove) and I also sautéed some onion with yellow summer squash.

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 092114

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:All the talk about sauerkraut had me still hungry for it.....so supper was grilled brats with a side of sauerkraut (I ate about 1/3 of it straight out of the pan on the stove) and I also sautéed some onion with yellow summer squash.

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 092114

Looks Great! I have kraut on my mind too! hahahahahah

Barbara101

Barbara101

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 Dsc_1199-2

Tacos & fake Spanish rice.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 EkaXF3

Mikes Casserole"

We call it Mikes, because our friend Mike The Butcher Hates It!

Browned ground round / tomato sauce / mixed veggies / topped with Blue Tube Rolls, and topped with swiss cheese. Mine got extra cheese on top, and inside. I never say no to more cheese.

It was Great! Of Coarse, Tina Made It!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Do you take the leftovers to Mike just to taunt him???

Nah, only a mean person would do that!

Looks like a Shepherd's Pie with a sub of biscuits for the mashed potatoes.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Do you take the leftovers to Mike just to taunt him???

Nah, only a mean person would do that!

Looks like a Shepherd's Pie with a sub of biscuits for the mashed potatoes.

I call it Italian Shepherds Pie because of the tomato sauce. It is spaghetti sauce.

No. I wouldn't do that to Mike no matter how mean I was. I wouldn't want to find a pigs head in my bed! September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 2876911673

I asked Tina, the next time she does make shepherds pie (using brown gravy) if she would make my side with the rolls and cheese instead of potatoes.
I could do without the potatoes.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I will open this here!

One of these days, I am going to make a shepherds pie. I never made one, but I do make great (they all think so ) chicken pot pies.

I may make some "Chicken Coop Pie" .... and then some "Beef Herder's Pie" ....

"Shepherds pies" are for sheep / lamb in my book................. I could be wrong?

Niagara Visitor

I've never eaten or seen a shepherds pie!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Jimmy, I think you are correct....Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb.

However, that being said, those of us who do not care for lamb take 'poetic license' with the name and make ours with beef.....

And since a certain lady chef (not May but J _ _ _) is not here to tell all of us how wrong we are, you can make the dish with whatever you'd like and call it Shepherd's Pie or Bovine Bowl.  Nobody here is gonna give you heck.

LOL

one of the sites I just checked for a 'recipe' on had this to say:

"Shepherd’s Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served “shepherd’s pie” here, it is most often made with ground beef. In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a “cottage pie” and the lamb dish “shepherd’s pie”.

Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd’s pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. When you dig in you get a spoonful of mashed potatoes, some crispy bits, meat, and vegetables all in one bite. It’s pure comfort food."

Read more: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_shepherds_pie/#ixzz3E0nuC56b

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, Jimmy, I think you are correct....Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb.

However, that being said, those of us who do not care for lamb take 'poetic license' with the name and make ours with beef.....

And since a certain lady chef (not May but J _ _ _) is not here to tell all of us how wrong we are, you can make the dish with whatever you'd like and call it Shepherd's Pie or Bovine Bowl.  Nobody here is gonna give you heck.

LOL

one of the sites I just checked for a 'recipe' on had this to say:

"Shepherd’s Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served “shepherd’s pie” here, it is most often made with ground beef. In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a “cottage pie” and the lamb dish “shepherd’s pie”.

Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd’s pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. When you dig in you get a spoonful of mashed potatoes, some crispy bits, meat, and vegetables all in one bite. It’s pure comfort food."

Read more: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_shepherds_pie/#ixzz3E0nuC56b

Thanks for the info Chef B _ _ _ !!!

So, what do you think about making the pie; whatever, with the little rolls??

There was a guy on the OLD c.com site that made the shepherds pie with the tater tots. It was (user name ) OldBay I think? No?
I think You Beth, used the coin type tater tops on one if I'm not mistaken??
Or was it Norm! Ha Ha Ha Ha ..... my memory is kicking in....I just thought of the thread "Swedish Meatballs" ..... Haaaaaa.... Remember all the rants on that thread? OMG.... all the B/S like They don't use this or that in the meatballs, and
They are not authentic if you add ground raisins or whatever.
That was some thread. pale

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've not made any casserole with the tater tots, although there is a recipe floating out in cyber-space that is loved by many.

It always drives me crazy when anyone says their way of making something is the 'right' way and all other methods or ingredients are 'wrong'. Life is way too short to be lived in such strict ways. I don't care how anyone else makes their meal, just don't tell me I've been WRONG for the last 60 years. My meal may be different, but it's not wrong.

I remember how screwed up everything got when the discussion went (yet again) to the 'correct' way to make chili...geesh! Won't ever go there again. What a mess.

Barbara101

Barbara101

another one is Goulash. So many ways to make it & even names for it.They even have it boxed called Hamburger Helper .

I make & just love the way it is it made from the original.

Oh ya Chili September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 2876911673 September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 2876911673 September, 2014..What's Cooking For Dinner?? - Page 10 2855670339 Then Mac & cheese.Then what I have always called Toad in the Hole.

Not sure I ever made that Jimmy pie???I do know I have put biscuits & or crust bottom & top on leftover pot roast.We just call it Pot pie.

Seems I do recall someone making beef stew then putting Mashed on top..ummm. I put them on the bottom lol.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Thanks for the info Chef B _ _ _ !!!

So, what do you think about making the pie; whatever, with the little rolls??

I just realized I had not answered your question.

Yes, I think you could put any meat/vegetables/sauce in a casserole and top with those refrigerated biscuits and have it come out just fine. What I would do (and we all know I do it the RIGHT way...JOKE!) is to use a personal casserole dish for each person. Yours could be larger (ah, that is not meant as an insult, just as a suggestion) and you could put the hot filling in your dish and top with the biscuits, then even a sprinkling of cheese. Tina and Uncle Gabe could have theirs with mashed potatoes or even those sweet potato tots he's so fond of.

Into a hot oven and then everything would get all bubbly and browned.

Barb, when I tried to do the 'upside-down' casserole with the mashed potatoes on the bottom, mine came out of the oven with soupy potatoes. Maybe I used more gravy than you did.

My youngest DD had a 'shepherd's pie' a lot when she was young at her friends' house. The mom made browned ground beef and added a can of corn and a can of green beans and then a can of cream of tomato soup....topped it all with mashed potatoes made from potato flakes. DD is positive that is the only way to make 'shepherd's pie'. Keep in mind, the mom in this case had SEVEN children (she gave birth to quads and also raised her grandson who was only 3 months older than her babies and had a 4 yr. old and a 10 yr. old) and when she cooked supper each evening she made massive amounts of food (compared to what I cooked). None of her kids ever complained about a meal and it never bothered her if one or two extras showed up at her table ~ just wash your hands and sit down, please.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The last shepherds pie that Tina made, was good, but the mashed potatoes were soupy and watery.
I said N O T H I N G ..... Until she said,"Geeze, these potatoes are watery....Hmmm???

What I remember, my mom took leftover mashed potatoes and mixed them with grated cheese and an egg. Then she would put them in the oven, and bake it! Those potatoes came out so firm and crispy good. Nice and browned on top too!
SOooooo! Maybe I WILL try to make a (If I May call it?) "Shepherds Pie!"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum