Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!"

+4
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 12]

176"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 1:00 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:96 degrees at 4PM today. Got a pizza casserole in the oven.

You're braver than me, Buig, as we don't use the oven when it's that hot (well, once summer is here, which it is already). But we do have a Weber so if I want something that must be cooked in an oven, Brian just makes an indirect fire and cooks it on the Weber for me.

177"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 1:09 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster wrote:It is 3:30AM and I am up because we have the Santa Ana winds coming in and my inside doors are swinging open and closed making a racket. I have a window open and the suction is creating a vacuum. I went into the kitchen and peeked out into the backyard and almost had a heart attack because I came face-to-face with my DH in his underwear. The wind got him up too.

This made me laugh out loud. I would've probably screamed my lungs out if that had happened to me. I tend to scare easily. We live in an old house (renovated, of course, but over 100 years old) so stuff creaks occasionally. I've gotten used to it over the years (we bought this house 16 years ago) but sometimes when I'm downstairs, it sounds like someone walking upstairs. Since I stopped working in 2010, I got used to knowing the time of day when the creaking happens.

178"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 1:25 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:The Asian market had some really good looking short ribs... lots of meat and marbling.  They said they were prime.  I got 4 lbs and Charlie made Khalbi last night. I grilled some baby zucchini and we also had rice, laver, two kinds of kimchi and some okra chips.

Sounds delicious, Norm, as usual for you! We've got to start hitting the Asian markets near us -- they've got a whole shopping center full of Asian markets and restaurants. I find their produce always looks good, too, and is reasonably priced.

One question: What's laver?

179"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jeepers.... we baked a pizza tonight, and we were both hovered near the stove to get warm.
It's 50º out now, and it rained earlier.
We have been having cool temps here.

DD and BF are doing the planting on the farm monday. It's just been too wet and cool for getting all planted. Tomato plants are in the crates yet. 25 acres of feed corn has to get planted, and DD is gonna do 2 acres of hybrid corn for us and friends, and pumpkins too. If the corn crop rots, it's gonna be devastating trying to feed 157 sheep and young ones.
For that we are praying for warmer weather. Thanks Be To God if he be willing!

I bake on the grill like Brian does too! I like it.

180"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 1:41 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster wrote:I haven't had Ovaltine in years. I loved to drink it when the crystals were still floating on top so I could chew them. So crunchy. Yum!

I had to laugh, Bug, as I loved it as a kid too for the EXACT same reason. Like Jimmy, I picked up some about five years back -- believe it or not, Brian and I were speaking of the old Ovaltine this week -- and was so disappointed. It was like Nestle's Quik but not even as good. Another childhood memory gone...

181"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 2:04 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

We had the first Creole tomatoes tonight -- not from our garden though but from the store. We had to let them ripen a bit more prior to eating. Creole tomatoes are not a variety but just tomatoes grown in Louisiana soil.

We had my favorite tomato pasta -- a Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe. I peeled three huge gorgeous ripe tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them up. To that I added a couple tablespoons of EVOO. While that sat, I minced up a couple huge cloves of garlic, about 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil and 1/4 cup of sliced green onions, along with salt, pepper and a tablespoon of fresh chopped oregano. I added all the stuff to the tomatoes along with a bit more olive oil. After a bit, I adjusted the seasoning again. When you're ready to sit down, you add hot drained pasta to the room temperature tomato mixture and toss it well. We used Romano cheese at the table. It's good when you mix it up with the pasta and tomatoes but I prefer the leftovers without the cheese mixed in so we add it at the table.

Brian grilled a couple of huge boneless chicken breasts I'd seasoned, along with a small bunch of romaine that I'd cut in half and "painted" will EVOO that I mixed with freshly minced garlic, salt and pepper. I had two lemons that I'd used the peel from so I cut them in half and he grilled the lemons, too. That grilled lemon juice tasted divine on the grilled romaine and the grilled lemons look pretty on the plate as well. Brian really liked the dinner and said he was glad I'd only given each of us a half of a chicken breasts sliced up -- I knew we'd pig out on the fresh tomato pasta, which we did.

Tomorrow morning I'm making the custard for some homemade Butter Pecan Ice Cream as it takes several hours to really chill down. Then we'll make it in the White Mountain Ice Cream Maker (looks like the old crank type but is electric, thank God!). He's had St. Louis ribs rubbed in Mad Hunky Rub (yep, we still use it and I'm about to order more) in the fridge for a couple of days so he's going to smoke those, too. Cole slaw is also on the menu and I'm sure we'll squeeze in some more of that fresh tomato pasta as well.

On Sunday or Monday, we're going to smoke a Boston Butt pork roast. We never do injections but Brian saw me watching BBQ Pittmaster the other day and said he wanted to try injecting a Boston Butt. He's funny 'cause he saw me looking through a BBQ cookbook (Smoke and Spice) for a suitable injection so off to the store he went. He bought the injector and I found a mop recipe that we're going to inject instead of use as a mop. There's really nothing better than smoked pulled pork. Probably will have cole slaw left over and whether you eat it on your pulled pork sandwich or not, it's always good.

If I had a camera, I'd snap a picture...

182"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 7:07 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:One question:  What's laver?

Hahahaha, I'm laughing out loud right now! I thought the same thing, Crybaby, when I read that. Didn't have a clue.....but (not wanting to admit to my ignorance) I checked it out with a 'Bing' search.

I won't ruin it for you ~ but once I saw what it was, it made sense with his meal plan. (Norm always has the most interesting menus)

183"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 7:24 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday we took Dane's sister & nephew to lunch at a local BBQ place....real BBQ, where they smoke the pork and brisket for 16 hours. I knew I wanted to share an order of fried dill pickle slices (OMG, I love those things, just don't like to mess with making them at home) so I asked Dane if he wanted to share an order of 'sliders' - lunch order comes with 4 sliders with a choice of 2 meats and a basket of 'real' French fries. He got the smoked chicken and I got the pulled pork.

The pulled pork was like butter...and had so much flavor. I love it. And they put a generous portion on the two soft dinner roll type buns (the kind that mush down like white bread). The rolls had just a touch of sweetness to the dough which complimented the smoky pork. Their 'spicy' sauce on the side was more flavorful with peppers than HOT, which is what I like ~ a nice little 'dipping' sauce.

SIL and nephew didn't want large meals, either, so they decided to share the same thing. Everyone was happy. Since they come from a little town without many food choices it's always a treat to go someplace different when they visit here.

They came down to pick up my old stove (the electric one with coils that I couldn't wait to get rid of....). SIL has the same type stove, only older, and is down to 2 working burners and an oven that can't make up it's mind if it wants to bake hotter or cooler, just never where it's set. I told her she was welcome to the one I had, even though I know it's not what she eventually wants, but everything works and it was relatively clean. Since we found a refrigerator for her at a reasonable cost in the 'for sale' ads here in The Villages we're just waiting to find another flat top electric stove (white) for her like the one I just bought. Her son is a good boy (well, no longer a boy....) who doesn't mind driving his pickup truck 1-1/2 hours to pick up appliances or anything else for his Mother.

184"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 7:38 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote: 

We had my favorite tomato pasta -- a Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe.  I peeled three huge gorgeous ripe tomatoes, seeded them and then chopped them up.  To that I added a couple tablespoons of EVOO.  While that sat, I minced up a couple huge cloves of garlic, about 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil and 1/4 cup of sliced green onions, along with salt, pepper and a tablespoon of fresh chopped oregano.  I added all the stuff to the tomatoes along with a bit more olive oil.  After a bit, I adjusted the seasoning again.  When you're ready to sit down, you add hot drained pasta to the room temperature tomato mixture and toss it well.  We used Romano cheese at the table.  It's good when you mix it up with the pasta and tomatoes but I prefer the leftovers without the cheese mixed in so we add it at the table.

I like to do that sauce with sea shell (the larger ones) or Orachetti (sp??) - because it catches the bits of tomato & vegetables in the pasta. Sometimes I'll add some diced celery just for the additional crunch factor.

But my favorite is the dehydrated tomato bruchetta with fresh mozzarella - you've seen my pics a dozen times because it's a summer standard for me. The concentrated flavor of the roma tomatoes as they cook down with the evoo & s&p, then the freshness of the shredded basil sprinkled over the top ~ well, it doesn't get any better than that!

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 09-23-12appy_zpsa2780b6b

185"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 8:51 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

What type of grocery is it, Barbara? Just curious..

CB it is Harris Teeter. part of Kroger company. I shopped in them when I lived in NC.There is 2 other ones here.downtown in a old train station awesome...Other one is over by the the richie richs.
When the sign went up for the shopping center I was thrilled. bounce bounce bounce 

This store is even better then any I have been too.I could go in everyday.Yesterday I hit that salad bar. Got the best sweet cantaloupe.I stole one to see if it was good. affraid can't do that with a whole one.I had planned on spinach salad with mandarine orange, well they had them too. Then I spy spinach salad already made. red sliced onions, huge huge slices of big mushrooms,loads of boiled eggs.......My salad is done except for the chicken breast & almonds. No mess no fuss.I got this mediterr stuff to top chicken breast with OMG so freaking great. It has 4 kinds of olives,onion,red sun dried tomato & LOADS of feta.I got a whole small container just the right amount to dump on spiced up fried chicken bones less.
Then of all things they had just put down Taco salad. So I made one for lunch hehehe no meat.Piled it high with lettuce,black olives,cheese,fresh salsa,onion,sour cream,fresh made Guacamole with huge chunks left in.I got 8pack TP,20 cans of cat food.Bag of lemons.Box of trash bags.6 pack of my new fav beer.$40...I am happy.

BTW I have made that tomato dish for yrs.Love love it.

Thrilled beyond measure you are back  "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 3267860543 "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 3561122519 

186"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 9:12 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

If I had a camera, I'd snap a picture...

Wal Mart.Target.I bought Kodak cheapo less then $100. For some odd reason I decided I needed to upgrade. Gave those to my grandsons.And now they have phones that take pics,so I should have kept them.
Anyway I picked up several to see how the buttons worked & how heavy etc.Found a Canon I liked so went online & bought it for $200 less.I thought well now I am in with the big boys. It has so bells on the thing I am in way over my head.I found that pics are best left on AUTO & take pics OUTSIDE for the right light lol.All the other stuff it does is purely wasted on me.

Rich is on FB page. Seems is a grandpa now. Is doing great with his side bizz.He is also doing catering jobs with that $6k Lang he bought.Bet His PO wife made him sleep in the thing.He posts from time to time.I do not get into all that.

I am doing a slab of ribs,chicken,corn on the cob on my smoker.

187"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 9:13 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Barb, what's your new fav beer? when we went to the Greek restaurant for lunch when Andrea was here, the waitress convinced Dane to try a Greek beer, Mythos. I'm not a beer lover but I wanted to taste it. OMG - that's one even I could drink. No bitter aftertaste. And it was icy cold....that makes a huge difference for me.

I've tried to find out if our local WinnDixie can order it for me, but, you know how fast that happens. It's been weeks and the manager of the liquor store who does the ordering just can't seem to remember to ask her distributors when they deliver to her store.....I've gotta find another Greek grocery to see if it's a brand they would stock.

188"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 9:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Brian just makes an indirect fire and cooks it on the Weber for me.

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 2876911673 If I had a nice guy like that, I would make him do the grilling too. "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 3602300868 "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 3921676023 "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 512660330 

I have to slack off that now that it is 100`& the skeeters get me.

189"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 9:25 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 10155855_10152034066276339_8892248632671351209_n

I saw this one .so good.. really light tasting.

Told my son & he got me to try this.
"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 A9d8d161489be1cac35ebf5ca7cc7e28

it is so light too. has just a hint of lemon.I drank the whole bottle right down.$8buck for 6.
I bought some Belgian beer someone one said was great OMG  "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 411572088 Blue Moon. Still in my fridge after 3 yrs.lol

Last edited by Barbara101 on Sat May 24, 2014 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total

190"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 9:27 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, he11....anything would taste good in a setting like that beach.....

LOL

I don't think I've ever seen that one. I'll have to look. Thanks

191"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 9:32 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 A32b296308a7636c421bb30510ffda2a

I do not cruise the beer aisle but when I went looking for this beer. I was stunned by so many kinds of beer.I need to get out more lol

192"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 11:34 am

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:The Asian market had some really good looking short ribs... lots of meat and marbling.  They said they were prime.  I got 4 lbs and Charlie made Khalbi last night. I grilled some baby zucchini and we also had rice, laver, two kinds of kimchi and some okra chips.

Sounds delicious, Norm, as usual for you!  We've got to start hitting the Asian markets near us -- they've got a whole shopping center full of Asian markets and restaurants.  I find their produce always looks good, too, and is reasonably priced.  

One question:  What's laver?

It is seaweed that is dried and pressed into sheets.

http://www.ripeorganics.com.au/wholefoods-glossary/sea-vegetables/laver-nori

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laver_(seaweed)

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

193"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 11:44 am

NormM

NormM

Laver is what the Japanese call it Nori and it is the outer wrapping of these sushi rolls.
"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Imgres_zps2e72cbea

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

194"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 1:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster wrote:I haven't had Ovaltine in years. I loved to drink it when the crystals were still floating on top so I could chew them. So crunchy. Yum!

I had to laugh, Bug, as I loved it as a kid too for the EXACT same reason.  Like Jimmy, I picked up some about five years back -- believe it or not, Brian and I were speaking of the old Ovaltine this week -- and was so disappointed.  It was like Nestle's Quik but not even as good.  Another childhood memory gone...

Your post made me think of a new thread to start! And I will.....

i.e. "Remember This" ..... ( It could be food ; products; items; etc. that are no longer or changed. It would be a good conversation thread ) I think?

For example, No longer available "Stanley Home Product" ...The blue can with the pop lid that you would need a butter knife to open; of Moth Crystals.

They sell them, but not the loose crystals like in the 50's and 60's.

Then the tan plastic butterfly that you could fill to hang up in the closet with the clothes.

Mom used to sprinkle the crystals in the vacuum cleaner bag so it would make the house smell nice when she vacuumed. And the couch had crystals thrown between the cushions... hahahahahaha

Sorry to put this here......its a food thread, but I just had to whilst it was in my thoughts. ( my very temporary brain folder ) LOL

195"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 6:36 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara wrote:I have to slack off that now that it is 100`& the skeeters get me.

Next time you're at the grocery, buy some Deep Woods Off, B. Even though you don't spend that much time outside, it works well and it will also keep away lime disease if you use it prior to even dashing outside like you're known to do! We have some on a butcher block stand next to one of the kitchen doors.

Brian uses it almost every day and he's also using sunscreen prior to going into the yard. I was shocked when I saw it, as he does it on his own without being nagged. I just had to tell him to buy one with "broad spectrum" on the label. Sometimes he spends most of the day outside; after he does his "garden chores," he sits on the deck under the shade of the blood orange tree and listens to the radio -- either college baseball (go LSU!) or our super local station, WWOZ (which one can get streaming online). He listens to the birds and watches our cat Lola trying to sneak up on the birds and the squirrels. It's great fun to watch her as she usually doesn't get anything (maybe 3 birds in 8 years) but she'd want me to tell you that she has better luck with lizards, though we warn them, too, if we're nearby.

I sit outside in the morning with coffee and I usually join him periodically on the back deck every day. But I have allergies and I also have an auto immune disease currently in my skin which is sometimes aggravated by heat. So I don't spend half the time that he does now that it's warm -- we're bumping up in the high 80s now and though we still haven't hit 90 degrees, when the humidity is high, it feels like it's 150 out there!

196"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 6:46 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:But my favorite is the dehydrated tomato bruchetta with fresh mozzarella - you've seen my pics a dozen times because it's a summer standard for me. The concentrated flavor of the roma tomatoes as they cook down with the evoo & s&p, then the freshness of the shredded basil sprinkled over the top ~ well, it doesn't get any better than that!

I do indeed remember them and the picture is still gorgeous, Beth. When my romas start ripening, I'm going to have to make some, too. It's hard for me to remember that you actually like mozzarella...

Anyone putting anything up this summer? We plan to make some more pickles this year and try a couple of new types for us. Last year we canned 50 lbs. of tomatoes but we're going to pass on that this year. I also have three jalapeno plants that are currently pumping out the peppers, so we're going to make pepper jelly, which we haven't done in a good while. It's so good but it's the only recipe I don't give out as when I finally convinced the woman to give me the recipe, I gave her my word that it would go no further.

I'd also like to pickle some haricots vert (super in bloody marys), some okra and some pearl onions, too.

197"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 6:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The only pickles I make are the pickled red beets. And since beets are available virtually year around I only make them when my containers are empty. Lyn's husband is a pickled beet 'junkie' ~ he loves 'em.

198"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Your post made me think of a new thread to start! And I will.....

i.e. "Remember This" ..... ( It could be food ; products; items; etc. that are no longer or changed. It would be a good conversation thread ) I think?

For example, No longer available "Stanley Home Product" ...The blue can with the pop lid that you would need a butter knife to open; of Moth Crystals.

They sell them, but not the loose crystals like in the 50's and 60's.

Then the tan plastic butterfly that you could fill to hang up in the closet with the clothes.

Mom used to sprinkle the crystals in the vacuum cleaner bag so it would make the house smell nice when she vacuumed. And the couch had crystals thrown between the cushions... hahahahahaha

I think that's a super idea, Jimmy.

199"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 6:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I hard cooked three eggs I was going to put in my potato salad but changed my mind at the last minute....so, deviled they became!

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 DeviledEggs052414

I've been thinking of this meal since the last time I grilled some brats. I can remember my mother opening cans of Read's German Potato Salad and heating it in a saucepan. Mother wasn't the most inventive cook, I think I've mentioned that before. But she didn't have the advantage I have of being able to look over a dozen different recipes on the internet and then deciding what I like and don't like in each and experimenting from there. As I remember, the only cookbook in our kitchen was 'The Boston Cooking School Cookbook' (aka Fannie Farmer Cookbook). My Andrea made sure it ended up in HER kitchen when the opportunity presented itself. Whenever I visit she checks to be sure it's back on her shelf before I leave the door ~ Gosh, but I don't think my own daughter trusts me! LOL

"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 052414

200"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Empty Re: "MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" Sat May 24, 2014 7:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Laver is what the Japanese call it Nori and it is the outer wrapping of these sushi rolls.
"MAY...What's Cooking This Month!" - Page 8 Imgres_zps2e72cbea

Norm, the first time I had seen food like that, my Maria brought it over, and on a cardboard fancy dragon designed plate.
Haaaaaaa .... It had that wasabi (sp /)paste, on the side, and I started to peel off the seaweed paper. DD almost p'd her pants laughing at me. "NO Dad...You eat that too!" she said!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum